Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Brian "The Sheriff" Schottenheimer?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Brian "The Sheriff" Schottenheimer?
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:08 am
  • Reading some articles that are trickling out lately, an interesting mosaic is beginning to form about why Bevell may have been let go, and it has less to do with the playcalling--which Baldwin defended--and more to do with accountability. It began with this anecdote from Danny O'Neil, who suggests that Bevell "couldn't be the bad cop" Pete wants.

"Carroll went on to relay the story of how he sat in Wilson’s locker during halftime of the regular-season finale, right next to his quarterback, and asked him to turn the team around 'in a way he hasn’t heard me talk to him.'"

(http://sports.mynorthwest.com/391124/on ... ll-wilson/)

Then with this article from .com, a theme emerges.

On Schottenheimer, Doug Baldwin said, "He’s very genuine, very honest, very forthcoming, very blunt, and I like that,” ... “I know he’s going to do a great job of bringing us back to where we want to be in terms of discipline and accountability, so I’m really excited to get to work"... Added Baldwin, "Drew [Brees] loves him and one of the things Drew said is that he’s going to hold everybody accountable and when you go into the huddle everybody is going to know what to do. I’m really looking forward to that part being really easy for us.”

(http://www.seahawks.com/news/2018/01/26 ... ttenheimer)

We've been complaining all year that no one was being held accountable, particularly the coaches. Well, those coaches have been judged and sentenced, and now Pete's brought in a guy who has a reputation for speaking bluntly and holding people to a certain standard.

I wonder if we've been all wrong focusing on his offensive resume and philosophies, his schemes. The scheme in Seattle is pretty simple anyway. What we may have needed--and what we may have gotten--is someone who will hold everyone accountable to the Seahawks standard of success. Pete always was the good cop anyway.

Maybe a great hire after all?

(Mods, merge elsewhere if you have to)
    Last edited by WindCityHawk on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Brian "The Sheriff" Schottenheimer?
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:18 am
  • I agree. These changes were much more about the "how" than the "what". Coaches coming in will have a new voice and new ability to demand better. They will hopefully restore faith in the "always compete" mantra and reduce the finger pointing that seemed to spring up from the growing hypocrisy of some that were not being called out like others were. We had some soft coaches and it showed in several areas.
    "Pro Football is like nuclear warfare. There are no winners, only survivors"
    Frank Gifford
    Gametime
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:20 am
  • It warrants its own post IMO :2thumbs:

It’s a very interesting take, if Bev couldn’t get in Russ’s face and shout at him every now and then it explains a lot.

Accountability could be exactly what these guys need. I was in the minority that liked the hire initially and I stand by that.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:58 am
  • A confrontational type of approach to Wilson and the whole offense might be just what the doctor ordered.
    Just like the days when Holmgren would yell at Hasselbeck coming off the sidelines, it'd be interesting to see Schottenheimer lose his cool on Wilson after a turnover or three and out, assuming Schottenheimer coaches from the sideline and not the booth.
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:22 pm
  • Great post. After 10 pages, I think the other thread has run its course.

Accountability is the theme to Pete's New Look Seahawks.

On offense AND defense.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:26 pm
  • A new Offensive Coordinator is a big deal, and not every topic can be discussed under a single heading, without the discussion jumping all over the place.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:39 pm
  • Could have had todd haley............
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:58 pm
  • The sheriff better deliver, he has a long but not 'shiny' resume. This is his best, if not the last chance to become HC, provided that Hawks' offense turns around.

I am sure Brian knows it too, he is not getting any younger.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:03 pm
  • I'm more willing to give this credence than other Bevell criticisms, given the amount of support it has from local media and players.

There was also a telltale comment after the Eagles game that a lot of people missed - that they did better at "getting Russell going" than they did in other games. It hinted at a little frustration Pete might have in connecting with Wilson, and just how far he's going off script.

Worth pointing out that Wilson just got done playing pretty poorly in the Pro Bowl.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:14 pm
  • RussB wrote:Could have had todd haley............

If Todd Haley is so good, how come he gets run out of every position he has?
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:22 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Worth pointing out that Wilson just got done playing pretty poorly in the Pro Bowl.

Well, Wilson has always struggled in the rain... :stirthepot:
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:42 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    RussB wrote:Could have had todd haley............

He did a fantastic job with the steelers offense. Then got fired as the scapegoat to why they lost, when the steelers defense gave up like 40 points.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:02 pm
  • RussB wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:

He did a fantastic job with the steelers offense. Then got fired as the scapegoat to why they lost, when the steelers defense gave up like 40 points.

Stop. He got fired for getting cute on 4th and 1 not once but TWICE in crucial situations.
    Hawk Finn
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:38 pm
  • Hawk Finn wrote:
    RussB wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:

Stop. He got fired for getting cute on 4th and 1 not once but TWICE in crucial situations.

And Ben Rothlesburger is more important to the Steelers than Todd Haley.
    TreeRon
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:14 pm

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:22 pm
  • Hold people accountable all you want, it won't matter if he's the same OC he has been for his last 9 years.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:32 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:I'm more willing to give this credence than other Bevell criticisms, given the amount of support it has from local media and players.

There was also a telltale comment after the Eagles game that a lot of people missed - that they did better at "getting Russell going" than they did in other games. It hinted at a little frustration Pete might have in connecting with Wilson, and just how far he's going off script.

Worth pointing out that Wilson just got done playing pretty poorly in the Pro Bowl.

How is that worth pointing out when Brees was the only QB that played well? In fact, aside from that miscommunication with Michael Thomas how did Wilson play poorly? Not trying to start anything but I watched the whole thing. Also, seems like for the Eagles game we went with a lot of quick passes, intermediate routes. I highly doubt Pete is frustrated with Wilson, Wilson if anything saved Pete's season from being a disaster

As for Schotty, I will say that he's definitely a Culture fit. He is the perfect compliment to Pete. Todd Haley isn't, at all. Haley may yell, but Schotty strikes a solid balance of tough love and compassion. His scheme and play sequence is the only question mark I have about him
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:34 pm
  • Scorpion05 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:I'm more willing to give this credence than other Bevell criticisms, given the amount of support it has from local media and players.

How is that worth pointing out when Brees was the only QB that played well? In fact, aside from that miscommunication with Michael Thomas how did Wilson play poorly? Not trying to start anything but I watched the whole thing. Also, seems like for the Eagles game we went with a lot of quick passes, intermediate routes

As for Schotty, I will say that he's definitely a Culture fit. He is the perfect compliment to Pete. Todd Haley isn't, at all. Haley may yell, but Schotty strikes a solid balance of tough love and compassion. His scheme and play sequence is the only question mark I have about him

Well if it's more then Bubble screen right then two deep passes as the end of the last season was then it has to be better.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:50 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Well if it's more then Bubble screen right then two deep passes as the end of the last season was then it has to be better.

I do think Schotty will have his best season under us. Whether it's the best this offense could be with Wilson, Doug, and a running game? I don't know, I sure hope so

Schotty is only in his 40s. I hope he's had a revelation of sorts. Would love to see a screen play actually work lol. Saw Wilson make a lot of check downs to Kamara and Ingram today and thought "Man, that'd be nice"
    Last edited by Scorpion05 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:55 pm
  • Live audition saying see I could do it all along :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:12 pm
  • Scorpion05 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

I do think Schotty will have his best season under us. Whether it's the best this offense could be with Wilson, Doug, and a running game? I don't know, I sure hope so

Schotty is only in his 40s. I hope he's had a revelation of sorts. Would love to see a screen play actually work lol. Saw Wilson make a lot of check downs to Kamara and Ingram today and thought "Man, that'd be nice"

I sure hope so. If his last gig is any preview of what we're in for than I fear for our season. He was awful at UGA, and his "expertise" with the QBs there was laughable.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:27 pm
  • original poster wrote:It warrants its own post IMO :2thumbs:

It’s a very interesting take, if Bev couldn’t get in Russ’s face and shout at him every now and then it explains a lot.

Accountability could be exactly what these guys need. I was in the minority that liked the hire initially and I stand by that.

I couldn't agree more OP ^^^; Just too many folks taking limited information, and then jumping to NEGATIVE conclusions.
    There was just too much disrespectful crap talk about Pete Carroll hiring a "Yes Man" TEN PAGES OF IT.

It became obvious... well...(to me anyway), that, with the shit-show that he had dialed up for Wilson, while simultaneously trying to incorporate Cables failing Offensive line, that Bevell had pretty much exhausted both his playbook, & welcome with the Seahawks, and it was time for him to hit the skids.
    Brian Schottenheimer might be the perfect re-fitting for Wilson, as he'd pretty much helped Drew Breese become a much improved QB.
    I love the idea of this "Accountability" gig. :irishdrinkers:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:39 pm
  • getnasty wrote:Hold people accountable all you want, it won't matter if he's the same OC he has been for his last 9 years.

This is the same "Negativity" crap that had permeated the 10 page snivelfest.
    I was hoping that, that shit would have STAYED in there.
    Sorry MODS , if this sounds inappropriate, please blank it out.
    Last edited by scutterhawk on Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:50 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    original poster wrote:It warrants its own post IMO :2thumbs:

I couldn't agree more OP ^^^; Just too many folks taking limited information, and then jumping to NEGATIVE conclusions.
    There was just too much disrespectful crap talk about Pete Carroll hiring a "Yes Man" TEN PAGES OF IT.

It became obvious... well...(to me anyway), that, with the shit-show that he had dialed up for Wilson, while simultaneously trying to incorporate Cables failing Offensive line, that Bevell had pretty much exhausted both his playbook, & welcome with the Seahawks, and it was time for him to hit the skids.
    Brian Schottenheimer might be the perfect re-fitting for Wilson, as he'd pretty much helped Drew Breese become a much improved QB.

I think you're giving our dolt of an offensive coordinator too much credit. Words like accountability or sheriff are nice, until our team finds out this guy doesn't have an ounce of credibility to his name. He is a failure of a coordinator that has been retreaded three times, now onto his fourth rodeo. I think we can expect more of the same under Schottenheimer, the face of NFL nepotism. He has a job as coordinator based solely on his daddy's reputation. Pete hired a yes man.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:52 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:

I think you're giving our dolt of an offensive coordinator too much credit. Words like accountability or sheriff are nice, until our team finds out this guy doesn't have an ounce of credibility to his name. He is a failure of a coordinator that has been retreaded three times, now onto his fourth rodeo. I think we can expect more of the same under Schottenheimer, the face of NFL nepotism. He has a job as coordinator based solely on his daddy's reputation. Pete hired a yes man.

BUllShIt ^.......No, let me rephrase that, it's...... PURE BUllShIt......Er let me re-rephrase that, it's Regurgitated PURE BUllShIt.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:08 pm
  • If Schottenheimer sucks, I'm gonna start calling him, "Rottenheimer."
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

"Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

"Don't f***** try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:22 pm
  • Hawk Finn wrote:
    RussB wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:

Hes still a great coordinator and no doubt better than shottenheimer. Just because he made some questionable calls in a crucial playoff game doesnt change that. The steelers offense was deadly and he was the OC, hes a great playcaller.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:25 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:

BUllShIt ^.......No, let me rephrase that, it's...... PURE BUllShIt......Er let me re-rephrase that, it's Regurgitated PURE BUllShIt.

Great, could you please provide some facts to back up you assertions rather than childish insults? What about anything that I said there was BS? It is undeniable fact that Schottenheimer was fired from three jobs. It is also undeniable that the UGA Bulldogs dropped in offensive production quite drastically under Schottenheimer, and improved dramatically after he left. There is a body of undeniable evidence that is against Schottenheimer's body of work as an offensive coordinator. I get that you're looking at this with Seahawk colored glasses, but if you take off those glasses and looked at things objectively you would see that his career is marked with failure.

I hope for the best, but realistically I know to expect the worst given his less than stellar results. I think our offense is going to more or less look the same. Let rephrase my question to you, what makes you think he is going to finally "get it" as a Seahawk? Carroll, as good of a coach as he has been, has been awful at sorting out the issues that have existed on the offensive side of the ball. This only adds to my skepticism over this questionable hire.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:33 pm
  • Let's keep on subject here. No need to derail the thread.
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:40 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:

Great, could you please provide some facts to back up you assertions rather than childish insults? What about anything that I said there was BS? It is undeniable fact that Schottenheimer was fired from three jobs. It is also undeniable that the UGA Bulldogs dropped in offensive production quite drastically under Schottenheimer, and improved dramatically after he left. There is a body of undeniable evidence that is against Schottenheimer's body of work as an offensive coordinator. I get that you're looking at this with Seahawk colored glasses, but if you take off those glasses and looked at things objectively you would see that his career is marked with failure.

I hope for the best, but realistically I know to expect the worst given his less than stellar results. I think our offense is going to more or less look the same. Let rephrase my question to you, what makes you think he is going to finally "get it" as a Seahawk? Carroll, as good of a coach as he has been, has been awful at sorting out the issues that have existed on the offensive side of the ball. This only adds to my skepticism over this questionable hire.

That's EASY, Schottenheimer has YET TO CALL ONE DAMNED PLAY for the Seahawks....You want to quit?, go ahead and QUIT.
    Pete has PROVEN that he can dial up a Super Bowl WIN with Bevell & Cable calling Offense, so his Moxie takes PRESCIDENCE over your assumptive & negative opinion....Sorry, but you did ask :stirthepot:
    PLUS, Y'all had TEN DAMNED pages to vent your consternations.........Give it a rest.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:57 pm
  • Well this escalated quickly :shock: :)
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:02 pm
  • The most overrated part of being an offensive coordinator is the play calling on Sunday.

So much of the day to day work is totally neglected. The players had stopped listening to DB.
    HawkNuts
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:23 pm
  • Scorpion05 wrote:Well this escalated quickly :shock: :)

I couldn't agree more Scorpion05, they had their way with 10 pages of crybabying over the hiring of Brian Schottenheimer......Enough is enough, eh?
    They're not happy unless their drowning out all the positives in this move by Pete Carroll...After awhile it's beyond RIDICULES.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:38 pm
  • Yea I mean, I agree that Schotty is classic nepotism, that he has struggled everywhere else. And if our QB was Case Keenum or our coach had not been in the playoffs virtually every season since he's been here, I'd be even more skeptical?

But for now, I'm just gonna hope for the best. Hope that yes indeed, Schotty actually taps into something special with the best QB he's ever had to work with as an O-coordinator. At worst, I know Russell will never be mediocre. I think the dream of most fans is to see Russell reach his full potential, while still in his prime

Seahawks culture thrives on comeback stories, so here's cheers to that I suppose
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:42 pm
  • HawkNuts wrote:The most overrated part of being an offensive coordinator is the play calling on Sunday.

So much of the day to day work is totally neglected. The players had stopped listening to DB.

To be fair though, it wasn't because "The Players Quit Listening" to Darryl Bevell, it was because there were a lot of plays that had to be shit-canned, as there was no feasibility in many of those called plays working as designed, as Cables O-Line could not carry out the basics in blocking for them.
    Hopefully Solari can turn things around with the O-Line, and they become better at blocking than the Cable Coached misfits.......It's a "Teamwork Thingy" :smilingalien:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:11 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    HawkNuts wrote:The most overrated part of being an offensive coordinator is the play calling on Sunday.

To be fair though, it wasn't because "The Players Quit Listening" to Darryl Bevell, it was because there were a lot of plays that had to be shit-canned, as there was no feasibility in many of those called plays working as designed, as Cables O-Line could not carry out the basics in blocking for them.
    Hopefully Solari can turn things around with the O-Line, and they become better at blocking than the Cable Coached misfits.......It's a "Teamwork Thingy" :smilingalien:

Or DB and TC were piss poor at their jobs.....
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:18 am
  • I'm really excited to see a new play caller this season.

Even if the people with a negative opinion on him are right about everything, which is very questionable given his previous circumstances, just give the guy a freaking chance. Some people get better over time. He has been a great QB coach and has a really nice sense of how to use the run game to support the pass.

There was a destructive tug of war of egos going on between the former OC and run game coordinator (whose names will not be mentioned by me going forward), which led to things like the near total abandonment of the run game, virtual elimination of fullback, failure to replenish numerous blockers, etc. Just so happy for a fresh start.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:14 am
  • WindCityHawk wrote:which Baldwin defended

*rolls eyes* - Hardly.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:45 am
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:I think you're giving our dolt of an offensive coordinator too much credit. Words like accountability or sheriff are nice, until our team finds out this guy doesn't have an ounce of credibility to his name. He is a failure of a coordinator that has been retreaded three times, now onto his fourth rodeo. I think we can expect more of the same under Schottenheimer, the face of NFL nepotism. He has a job as coordinator based solely on his daddy's reputation. Pete hired a yes man.

That's EASY, Schottenheimer has YET TO CALL ONE DAMNED PLAY for the Seahawks....You want to quit?, go ahead and QUIT.
    Pete has PROVEN that he can dial up a Super Bowl WIN with Bevell & Cable calling Offense, so his Moxie takes PRESCIDENCE over your assumptive & negative opinion....Sorry, but you did ask :stirthepot:
    PLUS, Y'all had TEN DAMNED pages to vent your consternations.........Give it a rest.

I hope for the best, but realistically I know to expect the worst given his less than stellar results. I think our offense is going to more or less look the same. Let rephrase my question to you, what makes you think he is going to finally "get it" as a Seahawk? Carroll, as good of a coach as he has been, has been awful at sorting out the issues that have existed on the offensive side of the ball. This only adds to my skepticism over this questionable hire.[/quote]
    PLUS, Y'all had TEN DAMNED pages to vent your consternations.........Give it a rest.[/quote]
    So, essentially you're telling me that you are a lemming that is blinded by the colors green and blue. Once on this board we had a saying that went like this "in Rusk we trust!" Tell me how that went? In case you weren't around then, Tim Ruskell helped bring us to a Super Bowl, and then proceeded to completely dismantle the team through bad drafts, coaching decisions i.e Jim Mora Jr, and questionable decisions in free agency (Hutchinson poison pill, etc).

Pete Carroll is obviously not Tim Ruskell, he made it much farther, and much higher than Ruskell ever did, however I do find one thing concerning. Since 2015 our team has been trending downward, much like the Ruskell teams after 2005 did. Like those teams we have not drafted especially well since the vaunted 2012 draft. We have exchanged first round draft picks for high profile talents that didn't especially have chemistry with our QB or fit our scheme (Deion Branch). We have also hired coaches based off of nepotism, not on past merits. Jim Mora, and Greg Knapp are good examples of this. I'm seeing some disturbing parallels between the waning years of Ruskell, and Holmgren to Pete Carroll's current way of conducting his operations.

What I'm saying is this: Pete Carroll has proven time and time again that he can be prone to mistakes. His word, and decision making is not so resolute that it should remain unquestioned, especially on matters that involve the offense.

Our offense has struggled in the same areas for years, and after not making the playoffs has the man decided to question it. After many years of adhering to Cableism, many years of trotting out offenses that are in limp mode until the end of the half, and fourth quarter, Carroll is just now admiring that the staff may have been a problem. Moreover, that same offensive mind, Darrell Bevell also cost him a second Super Bowl win. Objectively that was a bad play design, and this just isn't hindsight bias. Our players were set up to fail if you observe the match-ups.

In the end our offense relied on Russell Wilson's backyard antics, and a running back that was historically good after first contact to mask our offensive deficiencies. We won the Super Bowl with a team that had a historically good defensive unit, a team that is being talked about in the same breath as the 1985 Bears. A secondary that will be in history books with historically good units such as the purple people eaters. A defense that led the league in turnovers, and held the spot as best defense five years running.

We are not that team anymore. That team had multiple hall of famers, and young talent that was hungry, and stars such as Sherman, and Wilson were not even receiving 1 million a year in annual salary. Our team is now much older, injured more often, our stars have big salaries, and big egos are running unchecked. Thomas is actively courting other teams, Kam, and Avril will most likely never play another snap, and player like Bennett are starting to show their wear. Our star cornerback just had an achillies tear and may never be quite the same again. The legion of boom is dead, the same approach that won us that Super Bowl will not work again. The slack has to be picked up by the offense. No longer will treading water until the fourth quarter win us games. That is why this hiring of Brian Schottenheimer is so confusing.

We didn't even interview or inquire about other offensive coordinators as far as we know. We're banking our season on a retread that has been re-treaded three times prior, and has shown a history of being inept. Nothing about Schottenheimers track record says he is going to do anything different than he did other places. His most recent failure he had all the tools to succeed and yet was a huge burden to the team that employed him. Another Darrell Bevell will not get us to another Super Bowl under Pete Carroll. Hoping an old dog will suddenly pick up a bunch of new tricks, and finally have a revolution after a decade mired in failure is wishful thinking.

If Schottenheimer showed me just a single glimpse of success, I would be willing to be more optimistic. I really tried to see an angle that this hire made sense. I could not see it. The dude has been putrid in the NFL, and he has been putrid in college as well. He belongs as a positional coach, he has no place as offensive coordinator in the NFL. I don't know many people that get as many chances as this guy has, yet have been as bad as him. Here is praying that the fourth times a charm. Carroll is rewarding failure with a pay raise, and promotion.

I have seen enough of Brian Schottenheimer in my life time not to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:09 am
  • Spin Doctor wrote:His most recent failure he had all the tools to succeed and yet was a huge burden to the team that employed him.

You think the Rams, circa 2012–2014, "he had all the tools to succeed." You must be joking. They had one of the least talented offenses in the league. Sam Bradford was constantly hurt. Most of the time, they were rolling with Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis, and Shaun Hill at QB. Not to mention the Rams had the worst offensive line in the NFL and probably the worst receiving corps, as well. They tried to draft Greg Robinson to improve their line, and he turned out to be a bum. No Todd Gurley. No Jared Goff. No Robert Woods or Sammy Watkins. Probably less offensive talent than any other team in the NFL during that time period.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:14 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:His most recent failure he had all the tools to succeed and yet was a huge burden to the team that employed him.

You think the Rams, circa 2012–2014, "he had all the tools to succeed." You must be joking. They had one of the least talented offenses in the league. Sam Bradford was constantly hurt. Most of the time, they were rolling with Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis, and Shaun Hill at QB. Not to mention the Rams had the worst offensive line in the NFL and probably the worst receiving corps, as well. They tried to draft Greg Robinson to improve their line, and he turned out to be a bum. No Todd Gurley. No Jared Goff. No Robert Woods or Sammy Watkins. Probably less offensive talent than any other team in the NFL during that time period.

And they had THE WORST Head Coach in the NFL.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:17 am
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    Spin Doctor wrote:His most recent failure he had all the tools to succeed and yet was a huge burden to the team that employed him.

And they had THE WORST Head Coach in the NFL.

Yup. Fisher was a huge burden to the team that employed him, not Brian Schottenheimer.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:30 am
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Hold people accountable all you want, it won't matter if he's the same OC he has been for his last 9 years.

Sorry, BS is exactly the kind of OC we need here. The thing I like the most about this hire is we don't need a guy that is great with x's and o's we just need a guy that will let people have it when they screw up. No bubble screen and hold people accountable=Superbowl

We should rename this to topic "BS positivity only"
    I'm sure we will surpass 10 pages in no time.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:30 am
  • Spin Doctor wrote:It is also undeniable that the UGA Bulldogs dropped in offensive production quite drastically under Schottenheimer, and improved dramatically after he left.

This is another red herring (and arguable falsehood). Georgia lost their star running back, Nick Chubb, to a knee injury midway through the 2015 season. In addition, they had a first-year starting QB in 2015, a transfer from Virginia named Greyson Lambert. In 2016, Lambert lost his starting job to a true freshman QB. Georgia's points per game actually declined slightly to 24.5 in 2016, so to say their offense "improved dramatically after he left" is quite misleading. In reality, Georgia's offense got worse the year after Brian Schottenheimer left and didn't actually improve until this past season.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:33 am
  • getnasty wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Hold people accountable all you want, it won't matter if he's the same OC he has been for his last 9 years.

Sorry, BS is exactly the kind of OC we need here. The thing I like the most about this hire is we don't need a guy that is great with x's and o's we just need a guy that will let people have it when they screw up. No bubble screen and hold people accountable=Superbowl

I think he needs a better nickname than "BS," LOL. Schotty also sounds too similar to "shoddy" or "snotty."

Perhaps "Brian" will do. :2thumbs:
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:37 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    getnasty wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:

I think he needs a better nickname than "BS," LOL. Schotty also sounds too similar to "shoddy" or "snotty."

How about Hammer
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:39 am
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    getnasty wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:This is the same "Negativity" crap that had permeated the 10 page snivelfest.

How about Hammer

Not bad. :2thumbs:
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:55 am
  • TreeRon wrote:And Ben Rothlesburger is more important to the Steelers than Todd Haley.

This is the real reason Haley was fired. He and Ben never got along. Other than that their offense was in the top ten the last 3 or 4 years.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:03 am
  • You guys are crazy if you believe we don’t need to improve x’s and o’s! How have you forgotten the plays with slow developing routes all down field and no check downs? For the past five seasons retired players on the NFL network have said our play designs are too predictable and too easy to read. The offense must change! If play design is not drastically improved we are in even worse trouble. Sticking with Pete’s ultra conservative approach will bury the Hawks. We should all pray that our new OC is willing to game plan and strategize and even get in Pete’s face when nessisary.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:11 am
  • brimsalabim wrote:You guys are crazy if you believe we don’t need to improve x’s and o’s! How have you forgotten the plays with slow developing routes all down field and no check downs? For the past five seasons retired players on the NFL network have said our play designs are too predictable and too easy to read. The offense must change! If play design is not drastically improved we are in even worse trouble. Sticking with Pete’s ultra conservative approach will bury the Hawks. We should all pray that our new OC is willing to game plan and strategize and even get in Pete’s face when nessisary.

They improved the X’s and O’s When they fired Bevell, and he took his bubble screens, and 3rd and 20 draw plays with him. 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Next

It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:05 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information