Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Luke Willson talking about THAT play

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:20 am
  • If you can stomach revisiting it then it’s a good watch and a really good perspective.

    Players demanding answers from the coaches right away. Can just imagine pathetic Bevell saying nothing and passing the buck.


    MOD EDIT: The link was removed as the language in the video isn't suitable for this forum. The discussion is fine to remain here as long as it's kept within the rules. If you've come to this thread and haven't seen the video, there's a link to it in the thread in the shack.
    User avatar
    Gibbo
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 82
    Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:35 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:26 am
  • Time to let it go.....enough already
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10490
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:27 am
  • Gibbo wrote:
    If you can stomach revisiting it then it’s a good watch and a really good perspective.

    Players demanding answers from the coaches right away. Can just imagine pathetic Bevell saying nothing and passing the buck.


    Get over the Bevell thing, Pete told him in the headset system to call a pass play because the Pats had sent their "heavy" package in and there was no guarantee Marshawn would have been able to score against that defense as most assume he could have.

    GO HAWKS!!!
    Paul G Allen 1953-2018

    RIP My Friend, You Were The Best Sports Franchise Owner A Fan Could Ever Hope For.
    User avatar
    12HawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 561
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:50 am
    Location: Kitsap County


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:34 am
  • It is interesting to hear it from a players perspective.

    Things like this, you don't really get over.
    Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 766
    Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:12 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:34 am
  • Luke Willson is the GUY! I love that kid. This interview answered a few questions and also sparked some brand new ones.
    In a cemetery full of Tomahawks.
    Givin’ middle fingers to the pigeons doing somersaults.
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2584
    Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:17 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:47 am
  • That was actually a good listen, and only reinforces the argument that someone, anyone should have been fired after that game. Keeping the whole staff together, with as angry as the team was, doomed this organization for the next few years. Maybe now, with a new regime in place, we can finally move on as a new team, rather than "the team that blew the Superbowl."

    Thank God we won it the year before. Can you imagine if that was our only shot?
    User avatar
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2502
    Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:51 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:51 am
  • 12HawkFan wrote:
    Gibbo wrote:
    If you can stomach revisiting it then it’s a good watch and a really good perspective.

    Players demanding answers from the coaches right away. Can just imagine pathetic Bevell saying nothing and passing the buck.


    Get over the Bevell thing, Pete told him in the headset system to call a pass play because the Pats had sent their "heavy" package in and there was no guarantee Marshawn would have been able to score against that defense as most assume he could have.

    GO HAWKS!!!


    Pretty much this. If you want to fire someone for that play, fire Pete.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16066
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:24 am
  • I still have no problem with the concept of passing on that play. But play action, Russ rolls with one of 3 options 1) run it in, 2) throw to someone wide open in the back of the endzone cause his man bit on the play-fake 3) throw it out the back of the endzone if neither 1 nor 2 is available.

    Pats heavy package means bigger guys and more people towards the middle. So why call a play throwing there to a guy known more for his special teams play than receiving skills?
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 595
    Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:10 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:28 am
  • I saw Brees execute the same play from basically the same spot against the Vikings a few weeks ago with ease. My only issue was the play was that it did not lean on the strengths of the offense. Running Lynch, Run Option with Wilson, Wilson moving in the pocket... those were the team strengths.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13761
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:36 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    12HawkFan wrote:
    Gibbo wrote:
    If you can stomach revisiting it then it’s a good watch and a really good perspective.

    Players demanding answers from the coaches right away. Can just imagine pathetic Bevell saying nothing and passing the buck.


    Get over the Bevell thing, Pete told him in the headset system to call a pass play because the Pats had sent their "heavy" package in and there was no guarantee Marshawn would have been able to score against that defense as most assume he could have.

    GO HAWKS!!!


    Pretty much this. If you want to fire someone for that play, fire Pete.


    In reality if you want to fire someone fire Wilson. The play was called because it was a easy throw. And if the ball had been thrown even half way decent the worst case would have been an incompletion. It was a good call and a very poor throw.
    hawkman
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 113
    Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:10 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:36 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I saw Brees execute the same play from basically the same spot against the Vikings a few weeks ago with ease. My only issue was the play was that it did not lean on the strengths of the offense. Running Lynch, Run Option with Wilson, Wilson moving in the pocket... those were the team strengths.


    Execution and it works, just like with Brees.

    Low snap by Unger...............Kearse gets manhandled by Browner and doesn't pick Butler.............throw not low enough by Russell..............and voila, no SB win #2.

    As much as I hate the Patriots, that play is a microcosm of why they're going for their 6th SB win in 15 years, and we're sitting at home. They're the most disciplined clutch prepared team in NFL history that just flat out executes when it matters most, on both sides of the ball.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13648
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:39 am
  • The play called would have worked if they ran it just like they did except instead of throwing it to Lockette, throw it to the WIDE OPEN LYNCH !!!!!!!
    User avatar
    Seahawkville
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 124
    Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:04 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:40 am
  • Sometimes, someone has to burn just so the group can move on.

    It really does not even matter if Bevell is the one at fault. SOMEONE has to burn. And given the perception, removing him would have made it a lot easier to move on.

    Typically, teams that lose the SB do not come back. They make too many changes to 'fix' things and they implode. Guys that are important suddenly become more visible and so more demanded - which makes them harder to keep. Talent gets drained off while wholesale changes (like a Graham trade) turn strengths into weaknesses while bringing in guys that are not really part of the existing culture or group dynamic but are expected to be central cogs.

    It rarely works anyway. Even removing Bevell probably would not have changed that. But the hangover over multiple years is the issue, not the challenges that hit immediately after.

    The fact that YET ANOTHER player on the Seahawks is still discussing this play means they hadn't moved on - even if some of you think they should or are tired of the discussion.

    It is a salient issue that affected the success of the team over YEARS. So discussing it seems reasonable.

    We took far too long to fix this, and it might have been after the team has lost too many people to age, injury and leaving for other teams. This isn't the most talented team in the league anymore or even close.

    So I am glad they fixed it but they squandered years of potential winning in waiting.

    That is on Pete.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3348
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:41 am
  • Exactly. I hate the Pats too. But as usual, they were extremely prepared. NO team in history has been as disciplined and can finish like the Pats have. A 10 point lead might be safe against many teams, but not the Pats.
    After that miracle catch by Butterfingers Kearse, they were playing w/house money at that point. It seems rare that people actually give credit to Butler, that was a hell of a play.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10490
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:53 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Exactly. I hate the Pats too. But as usual, they were extremely prepared. NO team in history has been as disciplined and can finish like the Pats have. A 10 point lead might be safe against many teams, but not the Pats.
    After that miracle catch by Butterfingers Kearse, they were playing w/house money at that point. It seems rare that people actually give credit to Butler, that was a hell of a play.


    It was a hell of a play, and the Patriot defenders knew it was a pass play. Yet if we execute it still works.

    That's the beauty and agony of sports, you can run dozens of plays from the goalline. Why we continue to fixate on the playcall and not the execution is insane to me.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13648
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:53 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Exactly. I hate the Pats too. But as usual, they were extremely prepared. NO team in history has been as disciplined and can finish like the Pats have. A 10 point lead might be safe against many teams, but not the Pats.
    After that miracle catch by Butterfingers Kearse, they were playing w/house money at that point. It seems rare that people actually give credit to Butler, that was a hell of a play.


    Rare only for Seahawks fans, everyone else debates it as best all time SB play ever. Hard to give all the credit to Butler as a Seahawk fan because we can find several failings that opened the door for him to pull off the near impossible.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5609
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:04 am
  • Russell should have thrown low and towards where lockette was moving. Now he threw High and away from lockettes body movement. Just a bad throw, which Wilson admitted right after the game.
    User avatar
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1025
    Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:28 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:08 am
  • TwilightError wrote:Russell should have thrown low and towards where lockette was moving. Now he threw High and away from lockettes body movement. Just a bad throw, which Wilson admitted right after the game.


    And Lockette is a bum, browner knew the play, Kearse got owned, MB was sensational. It all added up. Wilson always takes the high road, he wasn’t going to throw someone else under the bus.
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4368
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:10 am
  • The throw may have looked a bit off in hind sight, but if Lockette goes 100% instead of 90% it looks much better too.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5609
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:35 am
  • There's not a single person at fault for that play. It took a series of events and people - bad throw (Wilson), poor execution (Kearse), poor effort (Lockette), poor play call (Carroll/Bevell) - to ruin that play.
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12790
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:28 am
  • 12HawkFan wrote:
    Gibbo wrote:If you can stomach revisiting it then it’s a good watch and a really good perspective.

    Players demanding answers from the coaches right away. Can just imagine pathetic Bevell saying nothing and passing the buck.


    Get over the Bevell thing, Pete told him in the headset system to call a pass play because the Pats had sent their "heavy" package in and there was no guarantee Marshawn would have been able to score against that defense as most assume he could have.

    GO HAWKS!!!


    I will get on Bevell all I want because the problem wasn't passing, it was the play call itself, which is all Bevell. Lynch has to be involved in EVERY down there, even if they're passing. Play action was the correct call. If they have their run package in, then try to fool them.

    Butler was there because he knew right away from the formation that they were passing.
    Vpk0718
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 546
    Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:42 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:26 am
  • Seahawkville wrote:The play called would have worked if they ran it just like they did except instead of throwing it to Lockette, throw it to the WIDE OPEN LYNCH !!!!!!!

    This^^
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6565
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:49 am
  • HawkRiderFan wrote:I still have no problem with the concept of passing on that play. But play action, Russ rolls with one of 3 options 1) run it in, 2) throw to someone wide open in the back of the endzone cause his man bit on the play-fake 3) throw it out the back of the endzone if neither 1 nor 2 is available.

    Pats heavy package means bigger guys and more people towards the middle. So why call a play throwing there to a guy known more for his special teams play than receiving skills?

    Pats “heavy package” was ranked 31st (next to the worst) that year in goal-line situations, so there is that.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23848
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:13 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I saw Brees execute the same play from basically the same spot against the Vikings a few weeks ago with ease. My only issue was the play was that it did not lean on the strengths of the offense. Running Lynch, Run Option with Wilson, Wilson moving in the pocket... those were the team strengths.


    Execution and it works, just like with Brees.

    Low snap by Unger...............Kearse gets manhandled by Browner and doesn't pick Butler.............throw not low enough by Russell..............and voila, no SB win #2.

    As much as I hate the Patriots, that play is a microcosm of why they're going for their 6th SB win in 15 years, and we're sitting at home. They're the most disciplined clutch prepared team in NFL history that just flat out executes when it matters most, on both sides of the ball.


    right... because the Patriots put their success into the hands of their best players. The Seahawks, on that occasion, did not. However, it was relying on Chris Matthews that even kept them in the game in the first half.

    The Patriots are disciplined and have gotten away with waiting for the other team to make THAT mistake. It's often a war of attrition.

    The Seahawks had their chance. one play. they chose the wrong play. You can argue execution, but again, that just belabors the point of having the ball in the air when you are a power running team.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13761
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:14 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:I saw Brees execute the same play from basically the same spot against the Vikings a few weeks ago with ease. My only issue was the play was that it did not lean on the strengths of the offense. Running Lynch, Run Option with Wilson, Wilson moving in the pocket... those were the team strengths.


    Are you talking about the slant TD to Thomas in the playoff game? IIRC the one big difference was the Saints ran play action. Brees faked a pitch to Kamara while on the Hawks play there was no deception.

    If you want to play the butterfly effect game, imagine the Hawks score (no matter how but get the TD) and win that game. Does the Jimmy Graham trade ever happen?
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 595
    Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:10 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:05 pm
  • Fast forward to the year 2027: They should have ran the ball! :lol:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10490
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:06 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    right... because the Patriots put their success into the hands of their best players. The Seahawks, on that occasion, did not. However, it was relying on Chris Matthews that even kept them in the game in the first half..


    Other than Gronk, the Patriots offensive roster is mediocre at best. So not sure what you mean by this statement. Most of their late game TD winners are guys like White, Amendola, etc.

    Hell yeah put the ball in the hands of Brady, so you're saying Russell wasn't worthy of putting the ball in his hands?

    I'm not saying we shouldn't have handed it off to Marshawn, but let's remember Marshawn's goal line success rate that year was like 40%?.............and the Pats had their heavy goalline defense in the game expecting it.

    Execution, execution and execution. That's why we lost. The Pat's D executed flawlessly, and we didn't. Everyone assumes handing it off to Marshawn would have worked, when as I referenced about, it most certainly wasn't a sure thing either.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13648
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:11 pm
  • I think the biggest failure here is the fact that this was THE only play we ran from that formation, in that situation. The Patriot defenders knew what was going to be called the moment we lined up at the LOS. The second big issue was match-ups. We put our players in a position to fail at the get go. Lockette was one of our worst receivers on our team, and he was known for having poor route running on a play that required precision. We required Kearse to get free from a man that has made his career disrupting situations like this, Browner. He got absolutely manhandled at the LOS. We played right into the Patriots strengths. It was a failure from a play design prospective from the get go.

    This is why I cringe every time I hear Pete Carroll talking about focusing on what our own team does, rather than the other team. This approach may work for defense, but on offense it is a recipe for failure.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2694
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:31 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:25 pm
  • One of the things that comes across to me is that he (and I presume most of the other players) were already looking ahead to the victory and they basically sleep walked through that final play.

    I didn't love the play call . . . okay, I hated it for reasons we don't need to rehash here . . . but I think the play call could have and would have worked if the offense had kept a killer instinct about them. More aggressiveness and that is a completed pass.

    Instead the Patriots were the ones with the killer instinct.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105436
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:27 pm
  • If you run the ball, even if you fail, you went down doing things like you have always done that got you wins.

    Lynch running for TDs was part of that season. I even rigged up a system that loaded pressurized air behind the the TV so that tubes of skittles would pour up from a reservoir behind the TV, run through tubes up the wall and then shower down in sheets on all the people watching in the Living Room.

    (It was awesome if a bit messy)

    Lynch and the candy showers were the symbol of that offense. But we went away from it.

    Even if we did that and failed, it would have never been as harped on. But we picked a play that relied on one of our least clutch receivers, beating one of the best defenders against us (since he used to play for us) and shockingly it blew up. Let's leave aside the Lynch being open thing for a moment...

    It was an epic failure on the part of our coaches and on Wilson. Wilson gets a tiny pass because he was a young QB.

    Luckily, the key coaching issue was Bevell and at least he is gone.

    People would be upset losing if Lynch fumbled or something, but it wouldn't have come off as terminally stupid like the play call we went with did.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3348
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:53 pm
  • HawkRiderFan wrote:I still have no problem with the concept of passing on that play. But play action, Russ rolls with one of 3 options 1) run it in, 2) throw to someone wide open in the back of the endzone cause his man bit on the play-fake 3) throw it out the back of the endzone if neither 1 nor 2 is available.

    Pats heavy package means bigger guys and more people towards the middle. So why call a play throwing there to a guy known more for his special teams play than receiving skills?


    Because Bevell has a very poor awareness of the personnel on the field.
    User avatar
    razor150
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2073
    Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:22 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:12 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote: I even rigged up a system that loaded pressurized air behind the the TV so that tubes of skittles would pour up from a reservoir behind the TV, run through tubes up the wall and then shower down in sheets on all the people watching in the Living Room.

    (It was awesome if a bit messy)
    .


    Did you really? That's awesome.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13648
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:37 pm
  • razor150 wrote:
    HawkRiderFan wrote:I still have no problem with the concept of passing on that play. But play action, Russ rolls with one of 3 options 1) run it in, 2) throw to someone wide open in the back of the endzone cause his man bit on the play-fake 3) throw it out the back of the endzone if neither 1 nor 2 is available.

    Pats heavy package means bigger guys and more people towards the middle. So why call a play throwing there to a guy known more for his special teams play than receiving skills?


    Because Bevell has a very poor awareness of the personnel on the field.


    Because Bevell wanted to prove how creative he is...should have fired him that off season.
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1453
    Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:42 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:41 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Exactly. I hate the Pats too. But as usual, they were extremely prepared. NO team in history has been as disciplined and can finish like the Pats have. A 10 point lead might be safe against many teams, but not the Pats.
    After that miracle catch by Butterfingers Kearse, they were playing w/house money at that point. It seems rare that people actually give credit to Butler, that was a hell of a play.


    Rare only for Seahawks fans, everyone else debates it as best all time SB play ever. Hard to give all the credit to Butler as a Seahawk fan because we can find several failings that opened the door for him to pull off the near impossible.


    To be fair, when you google "worst play call in super bowl history" we unanimously own the entire first page of search results.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1436
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:02 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:53 pm
  • Just to add the the "what ifs" and all the things that had to simultaneously go wrong I saw a photo (i'll have to search to see if I can find it again) that showed Lynch not wide open but being grabbed by a defender coming out of the backfield running the opposite direction of the play while Baldwin was also clearly being held. Kearse is being held by Browner too. As the series of photos progress Kearse never gets free and Butler blows right through Lockette on the way to beating him to the ball.
    Had this been reversed with Tom Brady and the pat's knocking on the door there is no way that we would not get flagged.
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4154
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:04 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Time to let it go.....enough already


    It's not actually, it should always be a reminder that you should never be complacent during a football game.
    Image
    You got 1 year Pete
    User avatar
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4345
    Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:33 pm
    Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:41 pm
  • I found that interview to be very informative. I know some here are saying time to let it go, but with the players actually talking about it brings it full circle. Just part of the process of letting it go.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    User avatar
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 808
    Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:10 pm
    Location: Baltimore, Maryland


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:23 pm
  • I ran a ball once.

    It HURT.
    User avatar
    Seahawkville
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 124
    Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:04 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:35 pm
  • brimsalabim wrote:Just to add the the "what ifs" and all the things that had to simultaneously go wrong I saw a photo (i'll have to search to see if I can find it again) that showed Lynch not wide open but being grabbed by a defender coming out of the backfield running the opposite direction of the play while Baldwin was also clearly being held. Kearse is being held by Browner too. As the series of photos progress Kearse never gets free and Butler blows right through Lockette on the way to beating him to the ball.
    Had this been reversed with Tom Brady and the pat's knocking on the door there is no way that we would not get flagged.

    :sarcasm_on: C'mon man, you don't really think that Billycheat & his Cheatriots were actually mugging our key players on Offense, RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE OFFICIALS, and getting away with it, now do ya?? :sarcasm_off:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6565
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:37 pm
  • Long time lurker here. I appreciated Willson's being candid about that play. The play is water under the bridge and there were a ton of things that could have been done differently. Butler was just beaten on two plays earlier and he was the third corner back on the field on that play. He was a rookie and his spirit should have been broken.

    After watching the play it was a bad read, bad throw, and the worst route I have ever seen. It took Lockette far too long to get to his spot and he never sold the play to get free from Butler. Butler just ran where he thought the ball was going to be. Good guess. To be honest though, I have more problems with the earlier play. Okung totally wiffed on his block. If he seals the defensive end, Seattle is up by 3 with a minute to go. We may have watched Brady march right down the field and break our hearts or lose in overtime. It would be ironic to win the NFC championship in OT and lose the same way the next week.

    I will always watch a video of the final play. It allows me as a fan to heal. This is a video I watched in the last week that I never saw before. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeNYQaS3rZI

    Grant it, it is easy for New England to say these things after the fact. But, I believe their rationale. It was said the Pats knew the play was coming. Well, they did know it was coming. This video shed light on that play for me. Butler was beaten over and over again. Lockette never made a legit football move and ran a pattern like a high school receiver. The scout team ran it better than he did.

    Another poster said we ran the same play out of that formation and it had no chance of fooling them. I agree 100% with this comment. Bevell ran a simple route tree. That could be by design. However, that makes Bevell a mediocre play caller too and he should have been shown the door after that game.
    SeadogEast
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 5
    Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:22 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:48 pm
  • MD5eahawks wrote:I found that interview to be very informative. I know some here are saying time to let it go, but with the players actually talking about it brings it full circle. Just part of the process of letting it go.

    After THREE YEARS?????...NOT letting go, is for losers, you weigh anchor and move on.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6565
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:14 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    right... because the Patriots put their success into the hands of their best players. The Seahawks, on that occasion, did not. However, it was relying on Chris Matthews that even kept them in the game in the first half..


    Other than Gronk, the Patriots offensive roster is mediocre at best. So not sure what you mean by this statement. Most of their late game TD winners are guys like White, Amendola, etc.

    Hell yeah put the ball in the hands of Brady, so you're saying Russell wasn't worthy of putting the ball in his hands?

    I'm not saying we shouldn't have handed it off to Marshawn, but let's remember Marshawn's goal line success rate that year was like 40%?.............and the Pats had their heavy goalline defense in the game expecting it.

    Execution, execution and execution. That's why we lost. The Pat's D executed flawlessly, and we didn't. Everyone assumes handing it off to Marshawn would have worked, when as I referenced about, it most certainly wasn't a sure thing either.




    Brady won that game on offense for them. He was excellent in the 2nd half. Same with the Falcons game. That’s pretty simple.

    You keep saying “execution” as if that’s some secret word NFL teams outside the Patriots don’t understand. Teams execute to their strengths. Great teams have more strengths and can diversify while remaining consistent. That play was not to the Seahawks, nor Wilson’s strength. Yes.. it could’ve worked if “executed” properly. But there were certainly a handful of plays in the book that couldve been “executed” that didnt rely on Wilson to Lockette. You can keep the ball in Wilson’s hands and not use an undrafted special teams player to win a Super Bowl.

    Yeah. The Patriots made a play. What they do better than other teams is stay disciplined and wait you out. It’s why their Super Bowls are so close.

    They waited for the Hawks to make a mistake. The Hawks obliged.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13761
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:53 pm
  • 12HawkFan wrote:Get over the Bevell thing, Pete told him in the headset system to call a pass play because the Pats had sent their "heavy" package in and there was no guarantee Marshawn would have been able to score against that defense as most assume he could have.

    GO HAWKS!!!

    Yeah, except I doubt that Pete said "Call a really stupid pass play with the worst personnel for that play call possible and a predictable formation so their rookie DB can read it and pick it off."

    You say we should get over the Bevell thing, how about you just get over the defending Bevell thing?

    *shrug*
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30025
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:14 am
  • SeadogEast wrote:Long time lurker here. I appreciated Willson's being candid about that play. The play is water under the bridge and there were a ton of things that could have been done differently. Butler was just beaten on two plays earlier and he was the third corner back on the field on that play. He was a rookie and his spirit should have been broken.

    After watching the play it was a bad read, bad throw, and the worst route I have ever seen. It took Lockette far too long to get to his spot and he never sold the play to get free from Butler. Butler just ran where he thought the ball was going to be. Good guess. To be honest though, I have more problems with the earlier play. Okung totally wiffed on his block. If he seals the defensive end, Seattle is up by 3 with a minute to go. We may have watched Brady march right down the field and break our hearts or lose in overtime. It would be ironic to win the NFC championship in OT and lose the same way the next week.

    I will always watch a video of the final play. It allows me as a fan to heal. This is a video I watched in the last week that I never saw before. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeNYQaS3rZI

    Grant it, it is easy for New England to say these things after the fact. But, I believe their rationale. It was said the Pats knew the play was coming. Well, they did know it was coming. This video shed light on that play for me. Butler was beaten over and over again. Lockette never made a legit football move and ran a pattern like a high school receiver. The scout team ran it better than he did.

    Another poster said we ran the same play out of that formation and it had no chance of fooling them. I agree 100% with this comment. Bevell ran a simple route tree. That could be by design. However, that makes Bevell a mediocre play caller too and he should have been shown the door after that game.


    Welcome to .Net :greetingsearthling:
    www.hawk-talk.com

    Image

    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 3166
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:29 am
  • That play will never go away.

    Seems like that slant play fails everytime the team runs it. Was it the Redskins game that they intercepted it also? :lol:
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1091
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:41 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:That play will never go away.

    Seems like that slant play fails everytime the team runs it. Was it the Redskins game that they intercepted it also? :lol:


    I cringe every time.
    www.hawk-talk.com

    Image

    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 3166
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:32 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:The fact that YET ANOTHER player on the Seahawks is still discussing this play means they hadn't moved on - even if some of you think they should or are tired of the discussion.



    He was asked a question though, it's not like he said "wait right there, I have something I need to get off my chest"
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3387
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:26 am
  • razor150 wrote:
    HawkRiderFan wrote:I still have no problem with the concept of passing on that play. But play action, Russ rolls with one of 3 options 1) run it in, 2) throw to someone wide open in the back of the endzone cause his man bit on the play-fake 3) throw it out the back of the endzone if neither 1 nor 2 is available.

    Pats heavy package means bigger guys and more people towards the middle. So why call a play throwing there to a guy known more for his special teams play than receiving skills?


    Because Bevell has a very poor awareness of the personnel on the field.




    This and This

    You HAVE to either run or run play action.

    As far as Bevell he absolutely didn't look at personnel. Everyone was an X or an O.
    irfuben32
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 107
    Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:07 am


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:57 am
  • NFSeahawks628 wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Time to let it go.....enough already


    It's not actually, it should always be a reminder that you should never be complacent during a football game.


    Not really. Throwing the ball was the least complacent thing to do there.
    User avatar
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5486
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm


Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:53 am
  • I figure a room full of Seahawk fans is a safe place for me to unload on something else that really gets me angry about that play....other than the obvious.
    I give the Patriots and coaches all the credit for being prepared for that play and their preparation in general. But the over-the-top praise drives me nuts. Remember how the Pats didn't call timeout after Lynch's run leading up that play. I've actually heard people calling that a brilliant move by Billicheck that manipulated Pete into throwing the ball. Give me a freaking break. If the Hawks score on that play, everyone is questioning why the Pats didn't use a timeout to give Brady more time to come back and tie the game.
    There is no reason to call that a brilliant move. Rant off!
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 595
    Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:10 pm


Next


It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information