Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Luke Willson talking about THAT play

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Luke Willson talking about THAT play
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:36 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:The players have every right to be angry about that play. The Seahawks went from dynasty status to worst-play-call-in-history status in one single play. The players worked hard to establish their legacy and the coaches blew it, not them. Listen to Willson, "it was the worst day in my life." He has a right to his feelings AND to freely express them, that is what makes this organization so great. Does that make him a whiner? Does that affect his play to this day? Absolutely not, these are professional athletes, they are motivated by their competitive nature not their vindictiveness.

Lots of people in all walks of life have things happen in life that have affected them greatly, they shouldn't have to endure being called whiners or that they should just "get over it," venting is a very human process.

Are you purposefully confusing the argument? Because it’s about how not firing coaches has somehow doomed this team the last three years. They should be angry about their crap defensive performance in the 2nd half. Or how poorly they played offense in the first. Or Wilson for the throw.

It makes no sense to point to one play as the ultimate decider in a game with a hundred plays and weeks of preparation.

None. It’s contrary to the whole spirit of team

Yep, Even the dude that was asking Luke Willson about "The Play" either A.> a non '12' that was trying to get under the skin of Seahawks fans, or B.> is amongst those fans that are fixated on the past, and don't know how to let shit go.

Fans aren't the only ones not letting go.

I have been watching Super Bowl pre-shows on 3 different networks and do you have any idea how many times that play has been mentioned, talked about in depth or watched on video replays???

More than I should have to count.

We are part of NFL history like it or not, I just can't wait until we win another one so I can get the ugly taste out of my mouth whenever I see or hear that play being mentioned just like the taste of SB40 was forever gone after we thrashed Denver in SB48.

GO HAWKS!!!
    For those that choose to attend the temple "QWEST" bring your best and be LOUD.

The opposition has no hope!!
    12HawkFan
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:01 pm
  • 3 pages already? Wow
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:49 pm
  • 12HawkFan wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:The players have every right to be angry about that play. The Seahawks went from dynasty status to worst-play-call-in-history status in one single play. The players worked hard to establish their legacy and the coaches blew it, not them. Listen to Willson, "it was the worst day in my life." He has a right to his feelings AND to freely express them, that is what makes this organization so great. Does that make him a whiner? Does that affect his play to this day? Absolutely not, these are professional athletes, they are motivated by their competitive nature not their vindictiveness.

Lots of people in all walks of life have things happen in life that have affected them greatly, they shouldn't have to endure being called whiners or that they should just "get over it," venting is a very human process.

Are you purposefully confusing the argument? Because it’s about how not firing coaches has somehow doomed this team the last three years. They should be angry about their crap defensive performance in the 2nd half. Or how poorly they played offense in the first. Or Wilson for the throw.

It makes no sense to point to one play as the ultimate decider in a game with a hundred plays and weeks of preparation.

None. It’s contrary to the whole spirit of team

Yep, Even the dude that was asking Luke Willson about "The Play" either A.> a non '12' that was trying to get under the skin of Seahawks fans, or B.> is amongst those fans that are fixated on the past, and don't know how to let shit go.

Fans aren't the only ones not letting go.

I have been watching Super Bowl pre-shows on 3 different networks and do you have any idea how many times that play has been mentioned, talked about in depth or watched on video replays???

More than I should have to count.

We are part of NFL history like it or not, I just can't wait until we win another one so I can get the ugly taste out of my mouth whenever I see or hear that play being mentioned just like the taste of SB40 was forever gone after we thrashed Denver in SB48.

GO HAWKS!!!

of course.. as was Franco Harris, David Tyree, the Fridge, 28-3 (the current tag line on ESPN). It's entertainment, you're supposed to remember it.

My issue is the idea we should not hold the players and coaches to a higher standard than the fans. They can be emotional, frustrated, angry and pour all of the energy into their work, which is what professionals do. This isnt asking them not to care, but to channel their emotions to a positive. Which honestly, should be expected
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:33 pm
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:3 pages already? Wow

Oh yes. I predict this thread will still be on the front page come draft time! (barring it getting locked by a mod, which is a very real possibility by, say, mid-February)
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:42 pm
  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:3 pages already? Wow

Already? I was thinking "that's all"?
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:16 pm
  • So when your wife is sleeping with someone else and she says your not going at the relationship hard enough you will say ok sweety I will do better from now on and make it work. Otherwise your just whining?

I say this because you trust her as the players trusted the Coaches to give them the best chance to succeed and they did not.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:23 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:So when your wife is sleeping with someone else and she says your not going at the relationship hard enough

Omg, lmao :lol:
    DomeHawk
    NET Starter

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:35 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Who cares if fans get over it. The idea professional athletes paid millions to compete can’t get over losses of any magnitude is contrary to what I’d want from them.

Not me. I want players on my team to play with fire and feelings. I don't want them just playing for the paycheck and being 'Whatever' regardless if they win or lose. Never forget and you might not repeat the mistake. Goes for the coaches too.

That makes no sense and is opposite of what I’m saying.

You want sniveling, whiny players who can’t bounce back from adversity?

As long as it doesn't affect their play, I could care less if they all had a box of Kleenex beside them. I want players that are passionate and refuse to accept crappy coaching.

There was dissension in the locker room. The reasons are gone now so lets see if it helps.
    Last edited by pittpnthrs on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:35 pm
  • Luke is a potty mouth!! (like me). ;)

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:51 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:So when your wife is sleeping with someone else and she says your not going at the relationship hard enough

Omg, lmao :lol:

Of course you are
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:53 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:So when your wife is sleeping with someone else and she says your not going at the relationship hard enough you will say ok sweety I will do better from now on and make it work. Otherwise your just whining?

I say this because you trust her as the players trusted the Coaches to give them the best chance to succeed and they did not.

Jesus.

You relate a play call to infidelity? No wonder.

But let’s go with the relationship analogy. Many make mistakes. The family moves on together.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:30 pm
  • Doesn't fit your mold so discount it, it's a matter of trust, Bevell didn't trust his guys and tried to get cute, the players did not forgive him anymore then someone would trust their spouse after catching them in bed with someone else, I mean what do you do at breakfast then ask if she had a good time and what you want to do for dinner tonight and maybe suggest Bratwurst sausage?

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:35 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Doesn't fit your mold so discount it, it's a matter of trust, Bevell didn't trust his guys and tried to get cute, the players did not forgive him anymore then someone would trust their spouse after catching them in bed with someone else, I mean what do you do at breakfast then ask if she had a good time and what you want to do for dinner tonight and maybe suggest Bratwurst sausage?

It’s one thing to make a mistake. It’s another to lie.

So no, I’d say your example does not fit. It’s a poor metaphor. If Bevell told the patriots he was calling a pass play, sent them the play, then joined their staff after the game or went and moved into a townhome in Kirkland leaving you with 52 pissed off kids.. then sure.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:39 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Doesn't fit your mold so discount it, it's a matter of trust, Bevell didn't trust his guys and tried to get cute, the players did not forgive him anymore then someone would trust their spouse after catching them in bed with someone else, I mean what do you do at breakfast then ask if she had a good time and what you want to do for dinner tonight and maybe suggest Bratwurst sausage?

It’s one thing to make a mistake. It’s another to lie.

So no, I’d say your example does not fit. It’s a poor metaphor

It's all about trust, regardless of situation, Bevell didn't trust his players to execute, they resented it. Just like the infidelity situation can you trust them implicitly again ?

Why it's a cancer in both situations.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:43 pm
  • Yeah I dont see making a mistake in play calling as cancer. Not when there were literally 50+ other opportunities in the game. By that standard every critical mistake by every player would lead to a team breakdown, which is the opposite of team.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:53 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Yeah I do t see making a mistake in play calling as cancer. Not when there were literally 50+ other opportunities in the game.

The biggest moment in sports coming down to one play and your saying it doesn't matter the OC doesn't trust your best players to make a play. They should have sang Kum Bye Yah afterword's I guess it all fine, even the coach throwing the player under the bus, even Pete having to take the hit because Bevell would never admit it was a bad call. This is after every pundit and ex player state that it was the dumbest of plays given the personnel usage and type of route called.

But hey we can sit around a campfire and drink cocoa and say no biggie and give group hugs.

The Cancer should have been irradiated, cut out and burned, even if it was a mistake it's the demeanor and the fact he threw Lockette under the bus afterword's that as a player would really burn your ass and create a respect issue.

So it really becomes trust and lack of respect.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:58 pm
  • Who says it didn’t matter?

Honestly not sure what you’re arguing. But..you fire him then you have to drop Wilson by the same logic.. and PC for enabling both.

It matters in how everyone recovers. They did poorly.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:11 am
  • Uncle Si wrote: If Bevell told the patriots he was calling a pass play, sent them the play,

He practically did. :D
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:37 am

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:14 am
  • Players aren't over it. This current regime isn't over it. The firings came too late. The team isn't the same as it was. I wouldn't doubt the lob gets hurt again if they all do play.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Yeah I do t see making a mistake in play calling as cancer. Not when there were literally 50+ other opportunities in the game.

The biggest moment in sports coming down to one play and your saying it doesn't matter the OC doesn't trust your best players to make a play. They should have sang Kum Bye Yah afterword's I guess it all fine, even the coach throwing the player under the bus, even Pete having to take the hit because Bevell would never admit it was a bad call. This is after every pundit and ex player state that it was the dumbest of plays given the personnel usage and type of route called.

But hey we can sit around a campfire and drink cocoa and say no biggie and give group hugs.

The Cancer should have been irradiated, cut out and burned, even if it was a mistake it's the demeanor and the fact he threw Lockette under the bus afterword's that as a player would really burn your ass and create a respect issue.

What players resented it? Possibly Lynch, but he was given the ball with a chance to score the play before. From all I have seen and read most of the players have nothing but respect for Bev.
    hawkman
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:26 am
  • I'm just amazed there are still human beings on this planet who continue to defend that stupid play call. A slant route to Ricardo Lockette (one of the least experienced or trustworthy WRs in the league at that time) when you are the #1 power running team in the NFL and the Patriots are the worst power running defense in the NFL.

That was some Jedi Master stuff by Bill Belichick not calling a timeout when several of his assistants were asking for one, suckering Bevell into calling a quick pass play to stop the clock in the event of an incompletion. Belichick managed to convince that idiot Bevell to take the ball out of Marshawn Lynch's hands and throw it up to chance. Imagine how happy we would be if were Patriots fans knowing Marshawn would not be getting the ball there.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:28 am
  • There's like maybe 10 players left on the team from that play. It's simply the inability of the minds eye to release it. It's just a part of this modern day world that focuses on so much negativity.

If a person can't forgive and learn then they will toil in their own pit of misery. Dilly Dilly.
    Seahawkville
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:29 am
  • hawkman wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Yeah I do t see making a mistake in play calling as cancer. Not when there were literally 50+ other opportunities in the game.

What players resented it? Possibly Lynch, but he was given the ball with a chance to score the play before. From all I have seen and read most of the players have nothing but respect for Bev.

I am willing to bet that nearly every defender from that team likely hates his guts, in addition to the backs, offensive line, etc., essentially every player who is not all about the passing game.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:43 am
  • Weird thing is....if Bevell had just owned up to it, admitted he made a terrible mistake & fallen on his sword, and then apologized to the players after apologizing to the fan base publicly?

We probably would have supported him and I am betting the resentment among the player would not have been as bad.

But because he chose instead to throw Lockette and others under the bus? I wanted his head on a pike.

The worst part is that because of that, he did not take responsibility and thus did not learn/adapt from it.

He was doing the same stupid crap in other games with nearly the same stupid results, years later. Because Bevell wants to be the smart guy in the room he ends up looking stupid. Rightfully so.

He is now gone. But the problem is, so likely is the Super Bowl window. We waited a few years to make the move, and in doing we lost a lot of our advantages, but piled up a few weaknesses now.

It would have been bearable to endure the downward slide if we had done more with the time we were great. But we squandered quite a few years of a great defense because our coach was stubborn.

We will see if we can win with the changes being made. I hope so. If not, it was an interesting run.

At least the team will be immortal a bit. I think that play still goes down at the stupidest play call in SB history.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:47 am
  • It's kinda like letting a world class stinky fart which does dissipate, but you will remember it's pungence.
    Seahawkville
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:51 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Weird thing is....if Bevell had just owned up to it, admitted he made a terrible mistake & fallen on his sword, and then apologized to the players after apologizing to the fan base publicly?

We probably would have supported him and I am betting the resentment among the player would not have been as bad.

But because he chose instead to throw Lockette and others under the bus? I wanted his head on a pike.

The worst part is that because of that, he did not take responsibility and thus did not learn/adapt from it.

He was doing the same stupid crap in other games with nearly the same stupid results, years later. Because Bevell wants to be the smart guy in the room he ends up looking stupid. Rightfully so.

He is now gone. But the problem is, so likely is the Super Bowl window. We waited a few years to make the move, and in doing we lost a lot of our advantages, but piled up a few weaknesses now.

It would have been bearable to endure the downward slide if we had done more with the time we were great. But we squandered quite a few years of a great defense because our coach was stubborn.

We will see if we can win with the changes being made. I hope so. If not, it was an interesting run.

At least the team will be immortal a bit. I think that play still goes down at the stupidest play call in SB history.

Yup, Bevell never admitted any fault and doubled down on his ineptitude. He blamed the player who never should have been put in that situation to begin with. Then he proceeded to ruin Jimmy Graham, using guys as blockers who simply can't block. The fullback position was totally phased out. As a result, we slowly watched the running game disintegrate under Bevell's incompetence.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:56 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:I'm just amazed there are still human beings on this planet who continue to defend that stupid play call. A slant route to Ricardo Lockette (one of the least experienced or trustworthy WRs in the league at that time) when you are the #1 power running team in the NFL and the Patriots are the worst power running defense in the NFL.

That was some Jedi Master stuff by Bill Belichick not calling a timeout when several of his assistants were asking for one, suckering Bevell into calling a quick pass play to stop the clock in the event of an incompletion. Belichick managed to convince that idiot Bevell to take the ball out of Marshawn Lynch's hands and throw it up to chance. Imagine how happy we would be if were Patriots fans knowing Marshawn would not be getting the ball there.

True.
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:28 pm
  • hawkman wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Well considering that this is about Luke's take on it he is one.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:01 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    hawkman wrote:What players resented it? Possibly Lynch, but he was given the ball with a chance to score the play before. From all I have seen and read most of the players have nothing but respect for Bev.

Well considering that this is about Luke's take on it he is one.

Uh, I'm guessing the guy that broke his hand might be another.
    DomeHawk
    NET Starter

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:32 pm
  • Seahawkville wrote:There's like maybe 10 players left on the team from that play. It's simply the inability of the minds eye to release it. It's just a part of this modern day world that focuses on so much negativity.

If a person can't forgive and learn then they will toil in their own pit of misery. Dilly Dilly.

I make it 12 players, who knows how many of them are still upset about it.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Previous

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:28 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information