Could Marcus Smith be the second coming?

Jville

Reaction score
Does lightening strike twice?

Big Chris Clemons fan here.

I'm delighted someone (John P. Gilbert) invested the time to share thoughts on a (to date) comparison of Chris Clemons and Marcus Smith. In addition to all of Gilbert's points, I think that Coach Clint Hurtt's time and familiarization with Marcus Smith is noteworthy. Hurtt's familiarization with the 3-4 and previous success at converting a couple of defensive ends into outside linebackers adds further intrigue to the potential of Marcus Smith.

Here is the recommended link >>>> [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/2/2/16963880/seattle-seahawks-marcus-smith-free-agent-significant-2018-upside-chris-clemons-pete-carroll-eagles[/urltargetblank]

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He's an interesting high potential addition who has underperformed with his original team. He flashed a few times this last season and is certainly worth trying to re-up on a short term low cost deal.

sdog1981

Reaction score
I really hope so man. For teams to have Superbowl level pass rush you need about 3 to 4 guys that you can rotate in. I hope him, Naz Jones and Clark really get things cooking next season.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Good read, I was hoping for more out of Smith when he signed this year and as mentioned above he had some flashes but never had consistent play from game to game. Maybe a year in the system and some new ideas from some different coaches can fulfill the flashes we saw this year. If the team can get him back on a team friendly deal (like a low cost two year deal) then I hope they possibly do it. Who knows, maybe the team saw enough and they let him walk, but I can definitely see some upside to a young guy like Smith.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I believe he was the 26th pick in the 2013(?) draft. he was widely regarded as potentially having some real ability to get after the passer when he was drafted but never worked out for Philly, but that was during part of their crazy coaching regime.

He could have serious untaped or un trained potential.

getnasty

Reaction score
Smith and Dion Jordan were great signing that we don't talk about enough. Two young, talented, high upside players with something to prove in contract years.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Except Jordan actually started producing. Smith had one game where he stood out - Week 4 vs. the Colts - and then vanished for the rest of the season. He's still where he was at the beginning of 2017, an interesting reclamation possibility.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I think he's a better candidate as a strong side backer and part time pass rusher, IMO. Clem is one of the few people who actually improve leaps and bounds even physically in the NFL. I mean, everyone improves from their combine results to a certain extent or even get lazy, but some have a tenacity that gvies them a higher trajectory. It's one thing to look at combines, but it's another thing all together when a dude just has a streak in them that's almost predatory in nature. Clem had that true drive and this is somewhat of a stretch for Smith.

I don't want to get it twisted. I think Smith has the potential to be almost like a Bruce Irvin type of player, although not quite as physically talented. Clem was a hardass though. It's just not a fair comparison.

original poster

Reaction score
I’m far more excited about Dion Jordan in honesty.

He could really (finally) he something and he feels he owes Seattle big time.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I absolutely agree about Jordan, it all comes down to him staying healthy, If he can do so he could be a special player and a player to watched and kept going forward. I do think Smith if a better hybrid SOLB hybrid rusher than an ev Ryan down hand in the dirt DE prospect. Keeping Jordan is likely but keeeping Smith will depend on what he wants contract wise or what type team would pay.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I’m more intrigued by Dion Jordan. Think we have something there.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hey... Duane Brown has the wrong uniform on here! :twisted:

Usa today 103803440

vin.couve12

Reaction score
We actually do need to see more of Jackson. Like Bennett, his combine basically sucks....aka undrafted sucks, but he plays with the right leverage and balance and has a violence to his play while also having good length for that strong side spot, also like Bennett. In some cases, particularly as some positions, you can take the combine and sort of ignore it.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
As far as Jordan goes, he's sort of the real wildcard here. He was really underrated in coverage at Oregon. I thought he was lacking strength and leverage for a pure DE spot though. At the time he was drafted, I was wanting to get him to take over for Irvin at SLB. While a good overall football player, he was still a bit of a tweener like Irvin. Fast forward to when we got him, he's a lean, almost 280 pounds and seems to have maintained some explosiveness. I want him resigned with the intent of him taking over the starting strong side position a la Bennett and still playing a ton in the mean time, pending what happens this offseason. Jordan seemingly has an arrow pointing up that shouldn't be ignored. Humbled and refocused, we likely need to invest in Jordan. He's no longer a tweener. He's a real DE that still hasn't come into his own just yet, but it's on the horizon.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3vhviwe8 said:
Except Jordan actually started producing. Smith had one game where he stood out - Week 4 vs. the Colts - and then vanished for the rest of the season. He's still where he was at the beginning of 2017, an interesting reclamation possibility.

Marcus actually was meh when you consider how many snaps he played. Jordan's production for a guy who missed so many games was actually insane. He could be a double digit sack guy.

Smith was a pretty average player in college who had a monster senior year in a meh conference.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great post, great comments. I think we could be looking at a new DLine that can take us places. If we get an OLine and a run game for Russ, I expect HFA and another SuperB Owl.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Delighted to read that, under the radar, Branden Jackson caught the eye of others. In addition to his movement, I appreciated that Branden was trustworthy, in that for the most part, he stayed true to gap discipline. His ability to blend in with teammates and his attention to detail is encouraging.

I thought Coach Clint Hurtt had a successful 1st year in Seattle. They looked at a number of hybrid newbies. Marcus Smith, Deon Jordan, Branden Jackson as well as David Bass who the Jets claimed. David Bass started in 2 of 13 game appearances as an outside linebacker for the Jets. I view Bass's season along with the three that remained in Seattle as a strong indicator of the quality of competition we can look forward to in 2018. Coach Hurtt's familiarization with hybrid DE/OLB's and both 3-4 and 4-3 fronts suggests we are in for a real treat in 2018.

Does lightening strike twice with coaches? Can't wait to see how Hurtt and Ken Norton JR combine their efforts for an improved defensive front in 2018.

These are the best of times. :2thumbs: