Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Blair Walsh cost Russ the MVP

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Blair Walsh cost Russ the MVP
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:51 am
  • If we have two more wins and are in the playoffs Russ wins it instead he gets zero consideration. I really hope we draft an actual kicker.
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Re: Blair Walsh cost Russ the MVP
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:54 am
  • Poor coaching was more impactful

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    redhawk253
    NET Rookie

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:55 am
  • Russell’s last three games (Jacksonville, Dallas, and Arizona) is why he didn’t win MVP. The whole offense just completely shattered. Can’t really fault Russell. He must have been exhausted doing everything for the offense all year.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:00 am
  • It was the WHOLE team..
    You can blame everything @ one time or another in games you lost.
    Relying on a kicker means you didn't do other things well during a game.

Granted BW wasn't very good but costing RW MVP? :shock:
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:21 am
  • Our coaches cost Wilson the MVP for putting guys who can’t play in a position to have to make plays.
    Reaneypark
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:29 am
  • If Russ wants the MVP, he too is going to have to perform for 4 quarters.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:41 am
  • Cable and Bevell made us have to rely on a Kicker who shouldn't even be playing middle school kick-ball.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:50 am
  • Let's just say that all of the things that cost RW the MVP are now gone, and be good with it. Even though it also caused us to miss the playoffs this year - this is the price to pay for our next several Lombardis.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:09 am
  • The people that cost Russ the MVP are mostly the same ones that cost the Seahawks a championship in SB49. It's great that most of them are now gone. It took longer than it should have though. They knew Walsh was terrible, yet they kept putting him out there. That's not the player's fault. It's on the coaches and FO (for signing him in the first place). I'm not sure why Brian Schneider still has a job. He's the ST coach and they were terrible.
    Last edited by hawkfan68 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:16 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:The people that cost Russ the MVP are the same ones that cost the Seahawks a championship in SB49.

Heh. Read that sentence again.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:24 am
  • I doubt he was top 5 in the running. His team didn't help him much but I agree gotta play 4 full quarters to be consistent.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:25 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:The people that cost Russ the MVP are the same ones that cost the Seahawks a championship in SB49.

Heh. Read that sentence again.

Thanks. I fixed it.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:02 am
  • The entire team, Russ included, played like ass in December. He didn't deserve MVP.
    Vpk0718
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:02 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:It was the WHOLE team..

So, Russell Wilson shouldn't be counting on anybody else on the team doing their part?
    Sometimes it's teams with DECENT kickers that can and very much DO help to put you over the top, eking out wins, just as LOUSY kickers can and DO cost you close games.
    Walsh didn't hold up his end, and his errant kicks EASILY cost the Seahawks a couple of games.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:09 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:I doubt he was top 5 in the running. His team didn't help him much but I agree gotta play 4 full quarters to be consistent.

He lead the league in passing TDs led the team in rushing accounted for 85% of the O scored 37 of 38 TDs some of you people are just kind of nuts in your expectations. Those are MVP numbers if we are in the playoffs he wins it.
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:05 pm
  • LOL ....... the old useless blame game trap.

I'm a big special teams fan. :177692: But there is no way kickers wheel that kind of make or break power and influence over quarterbacks.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:46 pm
  • Jville wrote:LOL ....... the old useless blame game trap.

I'm a big special teams fan. :177692: But there is no way kickers wheel that kind of make or break power and influence over quarterbacks.

Two more wins and we are in the playoffs Walsh need to make two kicks to give us two more wins and they weren't exactly hard kicks.
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:54 pm
  • Steve2222 wrote:Russell’s last three games (Jacksonville, Dallas, and Arizona) is why he didn’t win MVP. The whole offense just completely shattered. Can’t really fault Russell. He must have been exhausted doing everything for the offense all year.

I can't argue with this. The big talk about him being MVP really got going after the Eagles game and then faded pretty quickly.
    In the old days the other O-linemen would have just taken Ifedi out back and beat the crap out of him.
    DomeHawk
    NET Starter

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:27 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:It was the WHOLE team..

So, Russell Wilson shouldn't be counting on anybody else on the team doing their part?
    Sometimes it's teams with DECENT kickers that can and very much DO help to put you over the top, eking out wins, just as LOUSY kickers can and DO cost you close games.
    Walsh didn't hold up his end, and his errant kicks EASILY cost the Seahawks a couple of games.

It's a team game not RW above all else..
    We can easily say RW cost the team a game or two..Why not?
    There were 7 losses and no playoffs..
    BW and others all had a hand in this in my book..
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:48 pm
  • Russell Wilson cost Russell Wilson the MVP. You cannot play like he did in December and expect to be handed the MVP award, period. Even if we made the playoffs I doubt that he gets the award.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:32 pm
  • Yep. Truth is Truth. You have to play lights out football all year and not fade at the end of the year statistically no matter the cause. Russell was tremendous when considering the percentage he accounted for in our scoring this year. Historic in fact. But at the end of the day, MVP is given to the player that captures everyone's attention through consistency and excellence for the entire season.

Russ will be MVP one day. It's in his DNA. It's truly not a matter of if, but when.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:24 pm
  • What the......?

Russ cost himself the MVP.
    SixSeahawk
    NET Starter

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:04 am
  • Bevell cost him the MVP more than anybody else.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:22 am
  • Jville wrote:LOL ....... the old useless blame game trap.

If he's not going to help run the score up, then why even have a damned kicker.
    As everyone on the team is in the same boat, everyone should be manning an oar, it ain't a free ride.
    Want to wager that he isn't with the Seahawks next season?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:13 am
  • Well the one against the Falcons was no gimme. 52 yards isn't automatic for guys not named Justin Tucker. Even if he made the Washington ones and we take that game, he still missed the AZ one and we miss the playoffs anyway. No way Russ was winning MVP if we didn't make it to the postseason.

That being said, blaming this awful season on Walsh is too simplistic. Pretty much everyone except maybe Baldwin on offense was bad down the stretch to varying degrees. You can't look at tape from the home game vs. the Rams and say you were watching an MVP. The fact that we had offensive performances like that @GB, @DAL, most of @JAX, @LA, and most of the home games vs. the Niners and Skins (cards too tbh) really hurt him. He was definitely a part of that but damn, looking back on it, our offense was boom or bust this year from protection, playcalling, accuracy, the whole deal. I can't believe his completion percentage was 61.3. Those are SCam numbers. What a shitty season.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:35 am
  • Aros wrote:
    Russ will be MVP one day. It's in his DNA. It's truly not a matter of if, but when.

Love the optimism! Lets hope its next season :2thumbs:
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:37 am
  • December cost Russ the playoffs. Don't think he was sniffing the MVP.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:07 am
  • I don't think he was truly ever in the real long term discussion for MVP.

RW had a good season but he was unable to elevate his game to carry a team with critical flaws of a weak OLine and a non-existent running game.

Walsh cost the team 2 games but I doubt he was responsible for cost RW the MVP.

Adding Walsh was a personnel error, hopefully the team can find a reliable kicker this coming season.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:52 am
  • 1. Play calling
    2. Offensive line
    3. Lack of running game (due, in part, to #1 and #2)
    4. Aaron Donald
    5. Five missed field goals in losses to Washington, Atlanta, and Arizona

It's not inevitable that a better field goal kicker, i.e. Stephen Hauschka, would have made those kicks. But hypothetically, let's just say the Seahawks win all three of those games. That would mean they would have finished with a 12-4 record, #1 in the NFC West, 3rd seed in the NFC, with a 14-point win over #1 seed Philadelphia on their resume.

In that situation, a Brady vs. Wilson MVP race would have been at least interesting. Brady led the NFL in yards. Wilson led the NFL in passing TDs and total TDs and finished #2 behind Brady in total yards. Wilson also set NFL records for most 4th quarter TD passes and highest percentage of contribution to a team's yardage and scoring. Brady is the "most hated" QB in the league. Wilson is generally liked and has never won an MVP award. It would have been a tossup, IMO.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:16 am
  • adeltaY wrote:
    blaming this awful season on Walsh is too simplistic.

I'm not complaining about Wilson NOT winning the MVP, nor am I blaming Walsh for anything other than NOT carrying his share of the blame for those losses.
    There were just too many whiffs & shanks & pulls on his part.
    I don't believe that the Vikings are sorry that they axed him at the end of the 2016 season, or that the Seahawks were silly enough to take a chance on another of their cast-off players.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:15 am
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    blaming this awful season on Walsh is too simplistic.

I'm not complaining about Wilson NOT winning the MVP, nor am I blaming Walsh for anything other than NOT carrying his share of the blame for those losses.
    There were just too many whiffs & shanks & pulls on his part.
    I don't believe that the Vikings are sorry that they axed him at the end of the 2016 season, or that the Seahawks were silly enough to take a chance on another of their cast-off players.

Can't disagree with any of your points here. :2thumbs:
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:28 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:1. Play calling
    2. Offensive line
    4. Aaron Donald

It's not inevitable that a better field goal kicker, i.e. Stephen Hauschka, would have made those kicks. But hypothetically, let's just say the Seahawks win all three of those games. That would mean they would have finished with a 12-4 record, #1 in the NFC West, 3rd seed in the NFC, with a 14-point win over #1 seed Philadelphia on their resume.

In that situation, a Brady vs. Wilson MVP race would have been at least interesting. Brady led the NFL in yards. Wilson led the NFL in passing TDs and total TDs and finished #2 behind Brady in total yards. Wilson also set NFL records for most 4th quarter TD passes and highest percentage of contribution to a team's yardage and scoring. Brady is the "most hated" QB in the league. Wilson is generally liked and has never won an MVP award. It would have been a tossup, IMO.

It wouldn't have been a toss up, Brady still would have won it hands down. If we just change the field goal variable it does not change the fact that Wilson was clearly struggling in December. If the season ended in October, yeah, I don't think it would have been a question. Unfortunately, after the Philly game, Russell Wilson was very streaky.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:46 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:1. Play calling
    2. Offensive line
    4. Aaron Donald

It wouldn't have been a toss up, Brady still would have won it hands down. If we just change the field goal variable it does not change the fact that Wilson was clearly struggling in December. If the season ended in October, yeah, I don't think it would have been a question. Unfortunately, after the Philly game, Russell Wilson was very streaky.

Except, Brady also had a "very streaky" December. Brady's 59.5 QB rating against Miami on 12/11 was worse than any game Wilson played last season. Brady's QB rating in four of five December games was under 88.

Wilson had a QB rating of 107+ in three of five December games (118.6 against Philadelphia, 108.5 against Arizona, and 107.8 at Dallas). Brady had none such games in December.

Brady threw just six TD passes in December against five INTs. Whereas, Wilson had 11 TD passes and just three INTs during that same time period.

Brady's December QB rating: 81.6 (with 6 TDs, 5 INTs)
    Wilson's December QB rating: 95.8 (with 11 TDs, 3 INTs)
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:40 pm
  • Seymour wrote:If Russ wants the MVP, he too is going to have to perform for 4 quarters.

I agree.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:02 pm
  • No he didn’t
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Rookie

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:07 pm
  • You people are absurd he led the league in TD passes was second in yards believe top 5 in rating led the team in rushing yards account for 85% of the offense and 37 of 38 offensive scores, and all you can do is try to claim he was bad for some absurd reason just why. If we have two more wins we make the playoffs and he wins the MVP over Brady. Would also have helped to not get blown out by the Rams but when Donald is in your lap by the time you come out of a fake not much that can be done as a QB.
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:05 pm
  • randomation wrote: If we have two more wins we make the playoffs and he wins the MVP over Brady.

QB.

But we didn’t.
    Aw Mang
    NET Rookie

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:14 pm
  • If Blair Walsh could do the bare minimum expected of an NFL kicker we would have is the point.
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:37 am
  • These speculative threads are always funny and never ending.

I actually think that RW was only in the MVP conversation due to the ineptitude of our coaching staff of putting the entire game plan on him. How everyone else doesn’t understand that the NFL world was basically laughing at us each time they explained why RW was MVP worthy is beyond me, but I guess people see what their eyes will only allow them to see.

He had absolutely no support on the field, and had to scramble for his life almost every play in order to keep a drive alive.

Had PC done his job, RW wouldn’t have been in the MVP talks at all. Or at least would have been in the conversation due to not being the only bright spot on an otherwise disaster of a team last season.
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Rookie

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:58 am
  • Unfortunately, 80% of a bad offense does not an MVP make. Think about it, Brady doesn't run much and Russ ran for 550+ yards and Brady still had more total yards than Russ! There's no way Russ was winning MVP over Brady.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:26 pm
  • randomation wrote:If Blair Walsh could do the bare minimum expected of an NFL kicker we would have is the point.

And if my auntie had balls then she would be my uncle was my point.
    Aw Mang
    NET Rookie

Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:56 pm
  • Russ not being able to operate like a normal QB in a clean pocket at the end of the year cost him MVP. Seahawks O-line ranked number 15 in the last 5 games of the season. Are we still making excuses?
    RCATES
    NET Starter

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:27 pm
  • RCATES wrote:Russ not being able to operate like a normal QB in a clean pocket at the end of the year cost him MVP. Seahawks O-line ranked number 15 in the last 5 games of the season. Are we still making excuses?

Excuses? hell no, there are no excuses for Blair 'The Head-case' Walsh's lousy performances.
    As for the notion for Wilson having "A CLEAN POCKET", They were FEW and FAR BETWEEN, just like in 2016 when he was getting sacked, hurried, HIT HARD, AND INJURED.
    Did you actually SEE the pic's of his whole Offensive Line LAYING on the field as the opposing Defense was closing in for the kill.....they weren't playing tag-you're-it.

Would you Flinch if someone was trying to knock you out for first 11 games in?, hell, the Damage had already been done.
    NO Quarterback, "Normal" or otherwise would have been able to put up the numbers that Wilson did under the SAME circumstances....Hell, even out Running Backs were dropping like flies.......Excuses LOL SMH
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:09 pm
  • I can see that some forum members have still not completed going through the 5 stages of grief....
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Rookie

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:19 pm
  • Walsh did not cost it, Cable, Bevell, Pete and John Schnieder did, they brought him in, yes we may have won a few more games but would have been found to be a paper lion in the playoffs anyway.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:25 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Walsh did not cost it, Cable, Bevell, Pete and John Schnieder did, they brought him in, yes we may have won a few more games but would have been found to be a paper lion in the playoffs anyway.

^^ Without one iota of doubt. ^^
    Having said that, the O-Line was a mess, there was just too much hit & miss, (mostly miss), there was no way the Seahawks Offense NOR struggling Defense were going to going to be contenders against the Saints, or Vikings, let alone the Eagles.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information