Serious Question

poly1274

Reaction score
Why not abandon the Run? for all games and just focus on passing. Even when teams are down 14+ Points they don't run the ball.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
poly1274":8vrvw3kh said:
Why not abandon the Run? for all games and just focus on passing. Even when teams are down 14+ Points they don't run the ball.

Why not just line up in punt formation every play? Because it's dumb and won't work.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Not interested in trying to become the Greatest Show on Turf, who actually had a pretty good defense but was on the field a majority of the game because their offense scored so fast. Defense also exerts more energy than the offense.

Let's get some maulers on the line and be a balanced offense and make good calls when needed. Situational offense is what is important here and we need to be able to pass and run with a creative coach that knows when to do it.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1ejyjak2 said:
Not interested in trying to become the Greatest Show on Turf, who actually had a pretty good defense but was on the field a majority of the game because their offense scored so fast. Defense also exerts more energy than the offense.

Let's get some maulers on the line and be a balanced offense and make good calls when needed. Situational offense is what is important here and we need to be able to pass and run with a creative coach that knows when to do it.

I’m with this 100%

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":z4d194d3 said:
seahawkfreak":z4d194d3 said:

I’m with this 100%

Tree dat

original poster

Reaction score
Absolutely.

The key thing is calling the right plays at the right time. If fans can predict what plays are likely coming, imagine what the opposing team can work out who study formation, down and distance tendencies, personnel on the field etc etc.

Mix it up, keep some plays for later in the season, be different, adapt.

Of course, though, all those things are useless without execution.

Crizilla

Reaction score
poly1274":3mqknqnp said:

When a team is down 14+ points it's actually better for them not to run the ball most of the time. Passing doesn't waste as much time which leaves you more time to get back in the game and you can put up points rather quickly, assuming plays are executed. Generally speaking though you need some balance to have success and win games. Also, the QB and receivers would be tired to death if a pass play was called every time. It's actually remarkable what the Seahawks have been able to do with such crappy running game the past few years.

OP
OP
P

poly1274

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":ofckx3p7 said:
poly1274":ofckx3p7 said:

Why not just line up in punt formation every play? Because it's dumb and won't work.

How do you know it's dumb and won't work? Have any OC tried it?

Example 1: When Jags was up 24-10 4th Quarter, all RW did was pass the ball and we never ran in the 4th quarter. We almost had a chance to win the game also. ( That game where DB didn't attempt to get 1st down marker).

Example 2: Seahawks v Panthers 31-0 lead 3rd Quarter. 1st drive 3rd quarter. (4/4 Passing TD) 2nd drive: 7 plays. No Running game. 2 RW scrambles TD in air. Basically only 1 time they rushed the ball in the 2nd half against the Panthers. and they came up just short 24-31.

OP
OP
P

poly1274

Reaction score
Crizilla":3k4539ng said:
poly1274":3k4539ng said:

When a team is down 14+ points it's actually better for them not to run the ball most of the time. Passing doesn't waste as much time which leaves you more time to get back in the game and you can put up points rather quickly, assuming plays are executed. Generally speaking though you need some balance to have success and win games. Also, the QB and receivers would be tired to death if a pass play was called every time. It's actually remarkable what the Seahawks have been able to do with such crappy running game the past few years.

I have to disagree that the QB and receivers would be tired to death if a pass play was called every time. RW works best in the 2min drill, and WR's can get rest easily. I believe the only position that struggles when it's All passing plays, is the DL as they have to keep rushing for the QB, and they don't have a lot of time subbing them out.

Crizilla

Reaction score
poly1274":3l8ggztk said:
Crizilla":3l8ggztk said:
poly1274":3l8ggztk said:

I have to disagree that the QB and receivers would be tired to death if a pass play was called every time. RW works best in the 2min drill, and WR's can get rest easily. I believe the only position that struggles when it's All passing plays, is the DL as they have to keep rushing for the QB, and they don't have a lot of time subbing them out.

I highly doubt an NFL offense can run the 2 minute drill throughout the entire game sufficiently. This isn't a video game. If you think it's a good idea then become a head coach and call pass plays every time and see how it goes for ya.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
poly1274":pbgew3vb said:
Sox-n-Hawks":pbgew3vb said:
poly1274":pbgew3vb said:

How do you know it's dumb and won't work? Have any OC tried it?

Example 1: When Jags was up 24-10 4th Quarter, all RW did was pass the ball and we never ran in the 4th quarter. We almost had a chance to win the game also. ( That game where DB didn't attempt to get 1st down marker).

Example 2: Seahawks v Panthers 31-0 lead 3rd Quarter. 1st drive 3rd quarter. (4/4 Passing TD) 2nd drive: 7 plays. No Running game. 2 RW scrambles TD in air. Basically only 1 time they rushed the ball in the 2nd half against the Panthers. and they came up just short 24-31.

Time to follow Bevell and become a Colts fan buddy. haha

Let me elaborate. Becoming completely one dimensional allows for the defensive coaching staff to dial in on your offense. What keeps a team from blitzing every play? The potential of it being a running play of some type. Pass on every single play and watch the backfield get annihilated. The West Coast offense is about as close as you'll ever see to a pure passing offense.

The reason it works in a two minute drill is the QB finds the holes in the defense and picks at them without allowing the defensive coaching staff to rotate players or change defensive looks.

Yes, intentionally becoming one dimensional is dumb.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Ask the saints. The only reason they are in the national conversation is that they found the run. Drew Brees is a better pure passer than RW and had better tools. Went 7-9 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seymour

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":aluqkiqu said:

The greatest show on turf also had Marshall Faulk who is a hall of fame RB that averaged right around 5 YPC and over 1000 per year and also was a dual threat during his time there.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Having an effective run game is vital to success in the NFL.
It helps you control the clock, establish a good TOP, keeps their defense off balance with the threat of play action, and keeps your defense fresh.
The Seahawks have only been successful in franchise history with an elite running back. Warner, Alexander and Lynch have all been key to a winning season. We need to establish a solid, successful running attack.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I think you need to run but IMO the new NFL and part of the Pats sucess is the RB position being a very good receiving outlet. You need a dynamic back in todays NFL

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
What this team did in the past is use the running game to establish the passing game. What other teams do is use the passing game to establish the run. I think (I hope) the west coast offense was mostly passing with a sprinkle of run just to keep them off balance.

If we can get back to being that dominant running force with both a half back, fullback, and Read option, then the passing game will be easier to establish and will move quicker. I hope we can get a stable of decent backs with a fullback to make that happen this year. That is in my opinion what we were lacking and I believe that is what someone else posted above.

Good luck hawks.