(VIDEO) Biggest Issues Facing Seahawks This Offseason

massari

Reaction score
Jay Glazer, Jason Whitlock, T. J. Houshmandzadeh talk Sherman, Wilson

Video:
https://www.foxsports.com/watch/speak-f ... 8128195719

Partial Transcript (copy and pasted):

- I get why Richard Sherman wants to return. He's coming off an injury, he wasn't as dominant a player when he was healthy last year. Richard Sherman's been humbled by the game of football. It humbles everybody, except for Tom Brady, at some point.

- I think there's a lot of issues over there, like the league's in a boom right now. You saw what Earl Thomas was saying at the end of the year how he wanted out. Bobby Wagner is the guy in there. You've had two other guys who were the-- Kam Chancellor, he was the guy, but he's dealing with the neck. Cliff Avril, he's dealing with the neck.

So they're kind of-- they are-- they're going to have to completely rebuild that defense. And the other side of the ball. They've got to get the quarterback to throw the ball within like three seconds, not 24 seconds. It's like, you know, it doesn't matter who you bring in on offensive line, I know they got to help him out with the running back.

But they got to get Russell to-- too, he's been running for his life. I think some of that-- there's a lot that contributes to that, but as their defense, as they rebuild it, they are going to need even more out of the offensive side of the ball, and they're going to kind of have to reshuffle how they go about things there.

I think the fact that they floated his name in-- we talked about divorces earlier, right? Once you call the divorce lawyer, that thing is over. Once you start floating Richard Sherman's name out there as potential trade bait, I think this thing was done. Then he tore his Achilles tendon, he won't be wearing the Seahawks uniform this year.

- So last year they tried to trade him. They couldn't get what they wanted so they didn't trade him. The problem for Richard Sherman is this, you got $11 million base salary, you're coming off an Achilles injury, you're 30 years old. They're not going to pay him that. And it sucks for him, but on the bright side, if-- if I'm Seattle, I can't get rid of Richard Sherman if I don't have anyone to replace him. There are just not six feet corners that can knock your best receiver down growing on trees. They're not out there.

And so they're going to have to find the medium to where they can come to a conclusion where it works for both parties. But it's going to be tough for him because of the fact that his base salary is so high, and you're coming off an injury at your age.

- But my issue would be-- because what you're basically saying is Richard Sherman is going to have to come down on salary, he's going to have to restructure his deal, make it more team friendly. And, again, that's not the Richard Sherman I want. He has--

- That's a smart Richard Sherman. When you represent yourself, you got to listen to them dog you now. They-- they're going to talk to you like a dog. They're going to tell you everything that you don't do well, and you take that, instead of them telling your agent, and your agent don't even tell you that.

- Yeah, but he'll be getting on the field for somebody else, because somebody else-- he'll get cut and somebody else will tell you, they're crazy. We love you. They're nuts. We love you. And so he'll go play for the same money for somebody else out of pride, out of ego. That same pride and that ego that made him great is the same thing that'll drive him out of town.

- He wants to play in Seattle, he'll end up playing in Cincinnati.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Giving ANY kind of new contract or extension to RS before anyone knows how good or bad the recovery from the injuries and then surgeries has ended up will never happen IMO.

If he doesn't play here he's playing somewhere else on the cheap with zero guaranteed money because of his recent health issues.

My money is on him playing it out in Seattle unless they cut him and then see how good or bad he did for the season and figure it out from there.

If he comes back at an all pro level they can always re-sign him before the end of the season assuming he wants to and move on, but he may never be the player he was in his younger years as most never are.

GO HAWKS!!!

Seymour

Reaction score
He expects to be running by early May, so there should be time to see how the surgery effects him before having to finish a deal or make a decision.

chris98251

Reaction score
T. J. Houshmandzadeh there is your wart on this story, he was one of the first guys sent packing when Pete got here for not buying in. The Cincinnati aspect was good, especially since T.J. came from there. There may be some truth, but I don't think negotiations would quite go the way he is saying in that manner.

adeltaY

Reaction score
chris98251":1wubseak said:
T. J. Houshmandzadeh there is your wart on this story, he was one of the first guys sent packing when Pete got here for not buying in. The Cincinnati aspect was good, especially since T.J. came from there. There may be some truth, but I don't think negotiations would quite go the way he is saying in that manner.

Also Whitlock...

brimsalabim

Reaction score
What was Russell’s average time getting the ball out this season? What was our average route tree like? What were his options?

nanomoz

Reaction score
I don't think Sherm is going anywhere. He is a guy that will be a good safety after he's lost too much speed as a CB. There's only a handful of CBs I've ever seen that tackle and hit nearly as well.

lobohawk

Reaction score
This sounds like a group of folks basing their opinion off media headlines, with no special insight.

Smellyman

Reaction score
lobohawk":2h492owq said:
This sounds like a group of folks basing their opinion off media headlines, with no special insight.

Sadly enough the NFL network isn't very good. Yes men and players who barely research anything

Own The West

Reaction score
brimsalabim":rek5abjs said:
What was Russell’s average time getting the ball out this season? What was our average route tree like? What were his options?

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

3.05 Seconds. Only person slower was Deshaun Watson.

Not sure how much of that to put on Russ and how much to put on our play calling. With Lockett, Baldwin, and Richardson we could put the Patriots' quick passing game to shame, but we've never tried in the Bevell years. afaik.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Own The West":22rk0hvw said:
brimsalabim":22rk0hvw said:

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

3.05 Seconds. Only person slower was Deshaun Watson.

Not sure how much of that to put on Russ and how much to put on our play calling. With Lockett, Baldwin, and Richardson we could put the Patriots' quick passing game to shame, but we've never tried in the Bevell years. afaik.

I’d be curious to see what his avg time was after removing the numerous 8+ sec Houdini acts. Understand they’re a part of it, but thought I’d see this done before and it did have an impact on his time when he’s QBing vs jail breaking. Changed the perception a bit.

*edit*
Checked for 2016 and Wilson is at 20th (2.61). For comparison Brady was 16th at (2.57).

Interestingly, Goff was 5th from last in 2017 (2.92). For him to take that long (long routes, slow thru progressions, etc) and still be successful seems to show the value of above avg blocking and a run game. Throw in some good play calling. Feeds into the info about how much they manage his play calling.