Next Gen Stats - Seahawks Third best Pass-Rushing Unit

massari

Reaction score
Eagles #1 (291 pressures), Redskins #2 (269 pressures)

SEA SEAHAWKS #3

total pressures: 261.

Top pass rusher: Michael Bennett (59 pressures).

Injuries began to pluck well-known faces from the Seattle defense as the season wore on. However, the unit still boasted one of the top pass rushes in the NFL. Bennett was once again a force, finishing tied for sixth in the NFL with 59 pressures. Third-year defensive end Frank Clark ranked second on the team behind Bennett with 42 pressures -- and he has 19 sacks over the last two seasons combined. The Seahawks will face several decisions this offseason on players who have long been a part of their core. If there is turnover, watch for Dion Jordan as a sleeper, should the team renew his contract. Pete Carroll raved about Jordan in his postseason press conference -- the reclamation project recorded a pressure on 15.8 percent of his pass-rush attempts in 2017.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... hing-units

Would be crazy to cut Bennett like some are suggesting, unless coaches/players think he's a cancer in the locker room.

Mindsink

Reaction score
I wonder how this stat compares to previous years, particularly 2013 and 2014.

sdog1981

Reaction score
I call BS on this one. The team gave up so many 3rd and longs they had a major pass rush problem last season. QB’s had all day to throw every game and they had all day to throw on 3rd and long.

Whatever number they used for this “next-gen” stat is flawed.

themunn

Reaction score
sdog1981":258cel4c said:
I call BS on this one. The team gave up so many 3rd and longs they had a major pass rush problem last season. QB’s had all day to throw every game and they had all day to throw on 3rd and long.

The ranking is purely by number of qb pressures.
Our problem last year was that we pressured the qb loads but they still managed to escape being sacked and complete passes. That comes down to the secondary not covering guys close enough, or leaving guys free.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Jason La Canfora thinks there should be a few guys Franchised this year. Le'Veon Bell, Demarcus Lawrence, Ziggy Ansah and Sheldon Richardson.

Seahawks: Sheldon Richardson, DT (franchise)

Seattle gave up a decent haul to land him, to say the least. I want to do more than just rent him for one season – a season in which my team missed the playoffs, to boot. I'm shedding Kam Chancellor and Richard Sherman and Cliff Avril and some older players on defense, and I am keeping Richardson, at age 27, for at least one more year. He can be too much of an impact player – able to push the pocket inside or outside – to let him leave now. I would flirt with transitioning him at $11.7 million, but with his talent (and yeah, he has major warts off field and I have trepidation about a long-term deal) spend the other few million and get to $14.5 million to keep him. They'll have enough space once the purge begins and this kid in their scheme could be dominant. I have to keep someone over there.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/five ... hise-tags/

If they're able to get Bennett, Richardson, McDowell, Jordan back and draft a guy like Marcus Davenport or Arden Key, they'll probably be #1.

mrt144

Reaction score
sdog1981":2cq1g6yu said:

Take a moment to read this back to yourself and ask how paring out 1st and 2nd down is a truer reflection of pressure.

sdog1981

Reaction score
mrt144":gjprmc17 said:
sdog1981":gjprmc17 said:

Take a moment to read this back to yourself and ask how paring out 1st and 2nd down is a truer reflection of pressure.

Who cares what they do on 1st and 2nd down if they give up 3rd and long it is pointless.

mrt144

Reaction score
sdog1981":1vcsfbng said:
mrt144":1vcsfbng said:
sdog1981":1vcsfbng said:

Who cares what they do on 1st and 2nd down if they give up 3rd and long it is pointless.

So clearly the problem is you, the interpreter who puts a greater weight on 3rd down than anything else. If you want to complain about rawish data being inaccurate, account for what you're truly after before complaining.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1j555a10 said:
I have a dream that someday, someone will say at least one positive thing about the Hawks here :lol:
:roll: BWAHAHAHAHAHA

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
:lol: Like what I'm saying is way out of line. The negative is strong. You would think this was the Cleveland Browns we have here in Seattle. Oh well, makes for some great reading. We all look at it our own way :irishdrinkers:

chris98251

Reaction score
With our cap space, injuries, coaching turnover and needed roster churn we could look like the Browns next season, everything except Pete is a unknown right now and were at that rebuild, retool, point. Did they bring in the right coaches, are they going to keep the right players, are they going to hit in the draft or F.A.. Nothing is known, nothing has shown any indication of what direction this team is going to go come next year. We could very well be a resurgence team as well and surprise a lot of teams with a more aggressive offense and a more attacking defense as well.

Hard to speculate where we will be, we don't know the track were on, what were driving and whether we can afford the gas for the whole race.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Safe to say the team is gonna' look a lot different in 2018. This draft and free agency period is massively important. Though they are unlikely to do much in free agency, as it would take away some of their comp picks. Clayton talks about it. As far as the pass rush goes, we are likely looking at no Avril or Bennett, so I wouldn't be shocked at all if they draft a D lineman early. Sucks that Malik can't be counted on, because he would have a great opportunity to get a lot of playing time in 2018.

sdog1981

Reaction score
mrt144":20ddnxp8 said:
So clearly the problem is you, the interpreter who puts a greater weight on 3rd down than anything else. If you want to complain about rawish data being inaccurate, account for what you're truly after before complaining.

3rd downs are the most important down in football. If the debate is creating a stat or stat tracking that goes beyond the NFL yardage based statistics then the stat has failed to show something new or insightful.

Check out this next gen stat: Seahawks were 9-0 in games they scored more points than their opponents.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Kee-ryst. You could tell some people that two and two is four and they'd just argue about how it feels like five.

I'm really beginning to hate this board.

mrt144

Reaction score
sdog1981":cthkd6qu said:
mrt144":cthkd6qu said:

3rd downs are the most important down in football. If the debate is creating a stat or stat tracking that goes beyond the NFL yardage based statistics then the stat has failed to show something new or insightful.

Check out this next gen stat: Seahawks were 9-0 in games they scored more points than their opponents.

Okay, so please tell me where we can find pressure stats on PFR. Next generation in this instance implies that this is not something that is normally tracked by tradional means which it clearly isn't. Maybe you take next generation to imply something more like derivative stats of other stats or something but then we get into the murky water of your semantic reconciliation.

Again, you want a smoking gun stat to confirm what you already believe and this isn't it because it is inclusive of all downs. Thusly you're saying the data is worthless because it DOESNT conform to your expectations and observations. Instead of recursively asjuting your hypothesis you've now doubled down and said, only 3rd downs matter and that's where we failed.

3rd downs acounted for 21% of all defensive snaps. 1st and 2nd down accounted for 78%. But sure, lets just focus on the thing that happens with a 3rd of regularity and throw out the overwhelmingly larger number.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There are a number of reasons that 3rd downs for the opposing team converted as they did.

I suspect a large # of those reasons are not the pass rush.

It is also possible that teams are content to take risks on 3rd down that they would not on 1st or 2nd. So tactics that worked earlier in the cycle do not.

What it does show is that our pass rush is likely not the culprit.

As for the resolution?

Well we lost our DC so we have no idea what our defense will look like next year anyway.

It does show that our perception of the ineffectiveness of the defense might need to be re-evaluated by some people.

chris98251

Reaction score
Soft zones are a factor, Hurt Sherman and Kam out are a factor, we had pressures but our bend don't break gave up a lot.

What is the overall conversion rate of third downs against us, then what is the rate of those being a pass. That should tell you something. Add the amount of pressure percentage and you should be able to see we had pressure but they converted anyway. Playing off to much or not impeding the receivers on the line from getting off clean would be a big factor.

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":3t02t0g6 said:
Soft zones are a factor, Hurt Sherman and Kam out are a factor, we had pressures but our bend don't break gave up a lot.

What is the overall conversion rate of third downs against us, then what is the rate of those being a pass. That should tell you something. Add the amount of pressure percentage and you should be able to see we had pressure but they converted anyway. Playing off to much or not impeding the receivers on the line from getting off clean would be a big factor.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... splits.htm

39% of passing attempts on 3rd down led to first down.
6% of passing attempts led to a sack.

43% of rushing attempts on 3rd down led to a first down.

The overall 3rd down conversion rate was middle of the pack relative to the NFL.

mrt144

Reaction score
mrt144":mpkkujja said:
chris98251":mpkkujja said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... splits.htm

39% of passing attempts on 3rd down led to first down.
6% of passing attempts led to a sack.

43% of rushing attempts on 3rd down led to a first down.

The overall 3rd down conversion rate was middle of the pack relative to the NFL.

Further on passing 3rd downs.

You'll see that the shorter the distance to down, the higher the conversion rate. As much as we might be gutted by those 3rd and 10+s those rang in at a 24% conversion rate opposed to 66% for 1-3 yards, 84% for 4-7, 26% 7-10 yards.

To me, it seems kind of obvious when looking at the splits, the lack of ability to get sacks or pressure on 3rd and long were not the smoking gun in our 3rd down foibles - it was 3rd and under 7 that the hawks were terrible.

so sdog, you going to come off your soapbox and do even a cursory exploration of attendant data or are you gonna triple down?