Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Poll: Trade Russ for draft picks?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

Trade Russ to the Browns for the 1st/4th picks and Browns 1st round pick next year

Absolutely
9%
Absolutely not
74%
I'd think about it
17%

Total votes : 255

Re: Poll: Trade Russ for draft picks?
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:32 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    hawkman wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    hawkman wrote:
    Those stats don’t account for the hundreds of times he SHOULD HAVE thrown to the middle and instead freaks out and runs into a sack, or out of bounds for a lose.

That's just more nonsense by you. Like when you said Russell Wilson's impressive QB rating should be ignored because he doesn't throw the ball away. When in fact, Wilson throws the ball away more than any other QB in the league, except one.

Here are actual facts. Wilson eludes far more pressures than the number that are converted into sacks. He throws the ball away a lot. He has the 2nd fewest passes deflected at the line of scrimmage. And Russell Wilson is one of the best QBs in the NFL on passes over the middle of the field.

Do some research. Stop posting nonsense.

Your more than welcome to your opinion.

It's "you're." And you are not entitled to your own facts. Like I said, do some research before you spout off with nonsense that you can't back up.

A few hand picked stats doesn’t make a Hall of Fame QB. There is a reason most people outside of hawk fans are not nearly as impressed with RW.
    hawkman
    NET Rookie

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:35 pm
  • Let's stay on topic here.
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:34 am
  • Someone made a fair point but didn't really scratch at it.

There's a saying "your best ability is your availability". Talent doesn't mean nothing if it can't get on the field.

Wilson has been amazingly durable. Someone mentioned Andrew Luck. He probably has more raw talent and football intelligence than Wilson (2nd part is debatable, he does throw more picks). He's got prototypical size and athleticism. And he's always hurt.

Guys like Aaron Rodgers, Derek Carr, Cam Newton, and Tom Brady have missed more time than Wilson has. Even when he was beat up and trying to run behind a terrible OL, he's still better than any back up QB in the league, which is what we would be playing with if he sat on the bench.

The hardest things to draft are health and character and those are huge for a QB. There's no way to determine if a guy is going to stay healthy. You can draft a guy with prototypical size (Luck, Newton) or a guy that's uber smart and gets rid of the ball quickly (Brady) and they still might miss time.

Could Wilson be better ? Sure. But you can almost always count on him to be out there. And that's saying a lot. Ask any team's fan base who's QB has missed significant time. And you'd have to ask because we really don't know what that's like since Wilson has stepped on the field.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:17 pm
  • Trading a franchise QB away in this day and age for unknowns in the draft is pure insanity. So how many of the 30% of people who would at least consider this are insane, and how many of you just don't think Russ is a franchise QB?
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:51 pm
  • I think you would be amazed at how many people think he's basically an average player. Makes no sense.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:36 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:I think you would be amazed at how many people think he's basically an average player. Makes no sense.

The word around her is mediocre dammit !

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Re: You're the GM!!!!!!
Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:59 pm
  • Anyone see Saquon's combine numbers?! The man is an animal. Going to be the league's next best runner and a potential HOF caliber talent.

Let's get back to our peak from a few years ago when we had BEAST MODE running our offense. We need to get into the top 3 at all costs and draft Barkley.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think the Russel Wilson experiment has run its course. At a $15.5mil, the cap hit doesn't match the production anymore, and hes gonna be our best shot at getting into the top three and getting Barkley. You really think the Browns wouldn't jump at the chance to finally solidify their QB spot?! Giants are going to be moving on from Eli soon and could use Russ with the talent they have their they could be a legit playoff contender with him, while we get the best player in the draft. Schneids said we had no untouchables, so why not?

DO WHATEVER IT TAKES. Get it done. Get the browns 1st and 4th and lets get back to the top of the NFC.
    B3ASTxM0D3
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:11 pm
  • B3ASTxM0D3 wrote:Anyone see Saquon's combine numbers?! The man is an animal. Going to be the league's next best runner and a potential HOF caliber talent.

Let's get back to our peak from a few years ago when we had BEAST MODE running our offense. We need to get into the top 3 at all costs and draft Barkley.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think the Russel Wilson experiment has run its course. At a $15.5mil, the cap hit doesn't match the production anymore, and hes gonna be our best shot at getting into the top three and getting Barkley. You really think the Browns wouldn't jump at the chance to finally solidify their QB spot?! Giants are going to be moving on from Eli soon and could use Russ with the talent they have their they could be a legit playoff contender with him, while we get the best player in the draft. Schneids said we had no untouchables, so why not?

DO WHATEVER IT TAKES. Get it done. Get the browns 1st and 4th and lets get back to the top of the NFC.

Crazy idea, but welcome :)
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:54 pm
  • Said it in the GM thread, but absolutely I would do this. Not even close to the 15.5mil cap hit we are paying him.

Trade him to the browns and draft saquon and minkah to finally replace marshawn after all these years and mediocre ass richard sherman.

Sign Kaepergod in the offseason he can do basically all russ can do anyways with at a much lower cost. Come on John get it done
    B3ASTxM0D3
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:02 pm
  • B3ASTxM0D3 wrote:Said it in the GM thread, but absolutely I would do this. Not even close to the 15.5mil cap hit we are paying him.

Trade him to the browns and draft saquon and minkah to finally replace marshawn after all these years and mediocre ass richard sherman.

Sign Kaepergod in the offseason he can do basically all russ can do anyways with at a much lower cost. Come on John get it done

That cap hit is going to be much higher soon when he gets his new deal.
    People will wake up after a couple years of cap induced holes that prevent Championships.
    I'd take the picks and another one or Peppers.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:02 pm
  • original poster wrote:
    B3ASTxM0D3 wrote:Anyone see Saquon's combine numbers?! The man is an animal. Going to be the league's next best runner and a potential HOF caliber talent.

Thanks for the love man! I think the team has a chance to do something special here and I just don't see russ as the longterm answer. Saquon is Ladainian incarnate
    B3ASTxM0D3
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:14 pm
  • B3ASTxM0D3 wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    B3ASTxM0D3 wrote:Anyone see Saquon's combine numbers?! The man is an animal. Going to be the league's next best runner and a potential HOF caliber talent.

Thanks for the love man! I think the team has a chance to do something special here and I just don't see russ as the longterm answer. Saquon is Ladainian incarnate

Totally agree. I mean, the number of titles Tomlinson led his teams to is proof positive.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:06 pm
  • B3ASTxM0D3 wrote:At a $15.5mil, the cap hit doesn't match the production

Perhaps I'm just not following your point here but RW's cap hit is nearly $24m this season. If we trade him it would still be $16.5m charged to us in 2018 (his remaining pro-rated bonus) so under your plan we'd basically be paying his salary this season for him to play for the Browns.

The only way trading a player with a big contract in the NFL makes sense is if you get another player with a big contract in return so the pro-rated bonuses offset. That's why you almost never see blockbuster trades in this league for players with multiple years left on deals. Trading RW for draft picks alone makes no sense unless we're going into full tank mode this season and that's a ridiculous plan.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:37 pm
  • oldhawkfan wrote:People on this board would actually get behind this? Why not. There have been so very many franchise QBs on this team since 1976 it's hard to count them all. How hard could it be to just grab another one? They grabbed Russ in the 3rd round, they could just grab one with the 18th pick this year. Because really, it's just that easy. Grab another one next year. That way every few years they could just trade all these franchise QBs for a multitude of picks and eventually have every pick in the draft. Because aren't draft picks way more valuable than a player who is a proven winner and can rally the team from behind in nearly any game?? :roll:

Ill be so glad when we actually have things to talk about like the combine, free agency, draft, etc. Maybe then asinine topics like this will stop.

THIS the whole thread and idea is so preposterous.
    Down Under Hawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:42 pm
  • Good to know out of the total of Hawk .net nation there are only 18 insane people
    Down Under Hawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:11 am
  • Down Under Hawk wrote:Good to know out of the total of Hawk .net nation there are only 18 insane people

You forgot the 36 more that could go either way..
    So if the 18 turn out to be right for the most part as we will find out in the near future
    then your comment will be in reverse.. :17:
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:16 am
  • AgentDib wrote:
    B3ASTxM0D3 wrote:At a $15.5mil, the cap hit doesn't match the production

Perhaps I'm just not following your point here but RW's cap hit is nearly $24m this season. If we trade him it would still be $16.5m charged to us in 2018 (his remaining pro-rated bonus) so under your plan we'd basically be paying his salary this season for him to play for the Browns.

The only way trading a player with a big contract in the NFL makes sense is if you get another player with a big contract in return so the pro-rated bonuses offset. That's why you almost never see blockbuster trades in this league for players with multiple years left on deals. Trading RW for draft picks alone makes no sense unless we're going into full tank mode this season and that's a ridiculous plan.

Did not realize the hit was that high..
    Ok 3 picks with Peppers and Gordon included?Still may lose some money but
    not as high..
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:23 am
  • Russ was just in MVP talks last season and y'all talkin bout the RW experiment is over :34853_doh:
    The day he's not on the field for us is the day you realize how lucky we've been since he got here.
    The Breh
    NET Rookie

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:08 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    B3ASTxM0D3 wrote:Said it in the GM thread, but absolutely I would do this. Not even close to the 15.5mil cap hit we are paying him.

People will wake up after a couple years of cap induced holes that prevent Championships.

People on here keep telling me how dumb I am because I don’t think RW is all world. You just hit the nail on the head here. I’ll even go step further and say we don’t even win our own division again as long as RW is around handicapping this team with his salary and height.
    hawkman
    NET Rookie

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:28 am
  • 425HawkSpark wrote:
    hawkman wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    B3ASTxM0D3 wrote:Said it in the GM thread, but absolutely I would do this. Not even close to the 15.5mil cap hit we are paying him.

People on here keep telling me how dumb I am because I don’t think RW is all world. You just hit the nail on the head here. I’ll even go step further and say we don’t even win our own division again as long as RW is around handicapping this team with his salary and height.

You are dumb. You don’t get rid of mvp candidate. You don’t keep bevel who is dog shit. You should just find a new site.

MVP candidate! LMAO. And you will be missing Bevell come next year when you see what the O looks like.
    hawkman
    NET Rookie

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:51 am
  • Coming from the same guy who thinks Hass is twice as good as Russ. Yawn
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:13 am
  • What the? So it's the Russell Wilson experiment now?? Kaep can do what Russ can do? Do any niners fans even believe that any more? I like Kaep a lot more than most and I think that's ludicrous. Barkely may be LT level, but that doesn't mean he's getting us a ring. RBs by themselves are just not that valuable at all. This is a passing league, more so every season.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:21 am
  • Kaep isn't NEAR the QB Russ is. Strong arm and a great runner, but that doesn't equal great decision making and winning. And he had zero leadership skills. Russ has it all, and anyone who doesn't get it, never will.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:27 pm
  • Is there a facepalm emoji/smiley?
    Sports Hernia wrote:Mayfield has grown on me a bit, but I disagree with him here.

If an employer fires/terminates me, why do I owe them any sort of “loyalty”?

&@$# that!

That's what Sherman said
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:28 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Kaep isn't NEAR the QB Russ is. Strong arm and a great runner, but that doesn't equal great decision making and winning. And he had zero leadership skills. Russ has it all, and anyone who doesn't get it, never will.

If Kap didn't have leadership skills he wouldn't have been awarded Most Inspirational Player by his teammates.

He just makes dumb decisions, can't anticipate, and doesn't have much touch or accuracy.
    Sports Hernia wrote:Mayfield has grown on me a bit, but I disagree with him here.

If an employer fires/terminates me, why do I owe them any sort of “loyalty”?

&@$# that!

That's what Sherman said
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:37 am
  • hawkman wrote:
    425HawkSpark wrote:
    hawkman wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:That cap hit is going to be much higher soon when he gets his new deal.

You are dumb. You don’t get rid of mvp candidate. You don’t keep bevel who is dog shit. You should just find a new site.

MVP candidate! LMAO. And you will be missing Bevell come next year when you see what the O looks like.

Bevell is god aweful dude couldn't even come close to scripting an opening drive which we were the only team in the NFL last year that didn't score a TD on their opening drive! Even the sorry ass Browns pulled that off. Where does all this love come from for this guy? Maybe weren't watching the same games, but he never called for screen passes, doesn't know how to use the middle of the field, and never figured out how to use Jimmy Graham. Oh yeah Bevell was the greatest... NOT! Is Wilson all world hhmmm maybe not, his height does hold him back I will admit, but look what he does with what he has had to work with, piss poor Oline, and average weapons, IMHO he puts up unreal numbers, give him an offense like say Atlanta or Pittsburg, and yeah he could be the MVP no doubt.
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:49 pm
  • Now that we're sending our defensive vets off, this is what I fear is going to happen. The defense will be average or worse as we try to figure out who's replacing the many holes opening up after this offseason. The offensive like still sucks, the playcalling doesn't improve enough, and the running game improves (how could it get worse?) but only to around the middle of the pack. We NEED the offense to start carrying the team while Pete figures out the new defense. I don't see it happening with the hires we made, but it has to happen or we are in serious trouble of ending up in 3rd or 4th place in the division

More and more fans will point the finger at Russell Wilson and his contract and say he's weighing the team down and will push against extending him and try to run him out of town. We proceed to suck unless and until we get lucky and draft another great QB. Russ will be under the microscope this year and I can see the fanbase souring if we don't do well.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:59 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:Now that we're sending our defensive vets off, this is what I fear is going to happen. The defense will be average or worse as we try to figure out who's replacing the many holes opening up after this offseason. The offensive like still sucks, the playcalling doesn't improve enough, and the running game improves (how could it get worse?) but only to around the middle of the pack. We NEED the offense to start carrying the team while Pete figures out the new defense. I don't see it happening with the hires we made, but it has to happen or we are in serious trouble of ending up in 3rd or 4th place in the division

More and more fans will point the finger at Russell Wilson and his contract and say he's weighing the team down and will push against extending him and try to run him out of town. We proceed to suck unless and until we get lucky and draft another great QB. Russ will be under the microscope this year and I can see the fanbase souring if we don't do well.

Your right we should trade him while he has value and let Boykin take over. :stirthepot:

Could probably get a 4th and two 6th based on how we make trades lately .

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:51 am
  • I could be bribed into thinking about it. It would be driven by greed, as per usual.
    AVL
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:06 am
  • w/o question, the dumbest poll in the history of .net
    Bow Down to Washington
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:44 pm
  • Last chance
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:46 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:w/o question, the dumbest poll in the history of .net

At least 27% of people disagree with you
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:03 pm
  • /I would do it for Cleveland's 1,4,33 and 1,2 next year. Take your best QB, a blue chip player and rebuild the team in a short time.
    Go Hawks!
    j hawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:52 am
  • seabowl wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:w/o question, the dumbest poll in the history of .net

At least 27% of people disagree with you

At least 27% of the people that bothered to respond. I'm guessing many, like myself, thought it too stupid to even respond.
    Question: How are we going to get all these draft picks for RW if only a few Hawk fans think he's any good. I can't see GM's giving up multiple picks for a mediocre QB.
    TreeRon
    NET Starter

Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:23 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:w/o question, the dumbest poll in the history of .net

It's up there.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:40 am
  • The problem with draft picks is you are reliant on someone turning them into something.

For the past few years, we have not been very good at that.

So trading ANY player for draft picks is like trading a guy that 100% chance of being a player for a guy that is 25% chance of being a player. Maybe as a salary saving risk, but I am not sure what you get with that.

Now, if we had not decimated our defense? Sure. Because the Eagles and the Vikings have shown you can win with a great defense and an average game manager type of QB. But you need the great defense, which we got rid of.

So a deal like trading Russ to the Jets for draft picks is off the table then.

But Russ is going to have to show that he can be productive in all 4 quarters or he isn't going to be worth his existing contract, much less 30M a year.

We have a tendency to want to make excuses for him (some of you do) but the truth is that when you are paying the QB 30M, you are going to have holes in the team because you cannot pay people well at some other positions. So there will always be reasons for the excuses - a guy being paid $30M a year needs to be better than the damage his paycheck does to the roster.

But there is the reality that Russ was (hopefully?) hamstrung by a terrible OC. Not sure that the current OC is a tremendous trade up but he is hopefully not going to disregard scoring for 3 quarters. So there is still a good chance that Russ can be worth what he is being paid this year. And he will have to be, the defense will not be winning games for this team or propping up the offense anymore.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:37 am
  • TreeRon wrote: How are we going to get all these draft picks for RW if only a few Hawk fans think he's any good. I can't see GM's giving up multiple picks for a mediocre QB.

Because GM's are smart, that's why they're GM's, and the knuckleheads who can't see that Russell's a top 10 QB in his prime think it'd be smart to trade him for what?

To waste that pick on an unproven college QB, that even if he's good will take years to be half as good as Russell is now? BRILLIANT!!
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:39 am
  • Hawknballs wrote:Trading a franchise QB away in this day and age for unknowns in the draft is pure insanity. So how many of the 30% of people who would at least consider this are insane, and how many of you just don't think Russ is a franchise QB?

I think trying to build another SB caliber team around RW is a mistake.
    Biscanebay12
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:47 am
  • How many draft picks would the Seahawks have to spend and trade for before they find a QB as talented as Russell Wilson? And how many wasted seasons would we have to suffer through before they do?

No matter how idiotic the idea, there will be some people who will gravitate toward it.

:roll:
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:53 am
  • Biscanebay12 wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:Trading a franchise QB away in this day and age for unknowns in the draft is pure insanity. So how many of the 30% of people who would at least consider this are insane, and how many of you just don't think Russ is a franchise QB?

I think trying to build another SB caliber team around RW is a mistake.

If we already have a young stud on the roster ready to go? Then I agree with you, at that point Russell becomes expendable, and we can build a SB team on the cheap again without his massive salary.

But we don't, and until we do, then no one should be for trading him in hopes of drafting an unproven college QB that has a very small chance of ever being as good as Russell is now.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:55 pm
  • So do people who want to trade Russ really believe we will definitely draft a SB caliber QB with one of those picks? Be honest, what are the chances of that?
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:23 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:So do people who want to trade Russ really believe we will definitely draft a SB caliber QB with one of those picks? Be honest, what are the chances of that?

Well based on our trade history, would have to be someone late second or third round and competitor, we won't get a first .

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:03 pm
  • Hell no!!
    captSE
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:56 pm
  • Thought I'd open this up again now that a quarter off the season is over. Some really good players so far at the top of this past years draft. Also the question posed that we get the Browns number 1 next year too. I love Russ but makes you think.
    Last edited by seabowl on Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:15 pm
  • I am for actually improving the team & scheme around the QB.

Signing guys like Cary Williams, J'Marcus Webb, Luke Joeckel, Eddie Lacey, Ed Dickson, have done far more damaga to the team's salary cap, than paying the premium for a Pro-Bowl QB.

In a rolling cap that is a lot of money wasted.

Then piling on top of him with an out-of-date offensive scheme that is designed to hold him down, rather than extenuate his talents, is just adding insult to injury.

Getting an extra Germaine Ifedi, or Rashaad Penny in the upcoming draft, and losing Wilson isn't going to make the team better, but worse. They will save a lot of money though... to spend on the substandard free agents they predominantly sign every off-season.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:35 pm
  • See all the young cheap QB's have success makes me jealous. I still think Russ would look great in a chargers uniform. I'd want a high first and a 2nd.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:30 pm
  • It's basic football knowledge that Wilson sucks. Come on guys.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:59 pm
  • For 3 1st or more?

Yes
    jdruaint
    NET Rookie

Previous

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:01 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]