Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

You're the GM!!!!!!

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: You're the GM!!!!!!
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:17 am
  • Cut: Sherman +$11M in 2018 cap space
    Cut: Avril +$7.125M in 2018 cap space
    Cut: Lane +$4.75M in 2018 cap space
    Cut: Britt +$2.417M in 2018 cap space
    Cut: Ryan +$2M in cap 2018 space
    Cut: Thorpe +$1.85M in 2018 cap space

Restructure: Wagner +4.605M in 2018 cap space

Available cap for 2018: $43,884,267

Trade: Thomas, 2018 pick #18 to Dallas for Zach Martin, 2018 pick #50 (-$841K in cap space)
    Trade: Bennett, 2018 pick #250 to Philadelphia for Marcus Johnson, 2018 pick #156

UFA Signed / Years / 2018 Cap Hit
    Sheldon Richardson / 5 / $11M
    Andrew Norwell / 5 / $11M
    Austin Seferian-Jenkins / 3 / $5M
    Bradley McDougald / 3 / $3M
    Byron Maxwell / 2 / $2M
    Luke Willson / 2 / $2M
    Dion Jordan / 2 / $2M

RFA Tenders:
    Dion Jordan / $1.9M

Extension / 2018 Cap Hit
    Zach Martin / $11M (-$1.659M cap space)

Contract Details for Richardson, Norwell, and Martin (all get roughly the same deal):
    5 Years $75M
    $30M Total Guaranteed
    $10M Signing Bonus
    2018 and 2019 Salaries Guaranteed
    Year / Age / Salary / Prorated / Cap Number / Dead Money / Cap Savings
    2018 / 26 / $9M / $2M / $11M / $30M / -$30M
    2019 / 27 / $11M / $2M / $13M / $19M / -$19M
    2020 / 28 / $13M / $2M / $15M / $6M / $7M
    2021 / 29 / $15M / $2M / $17M / $4M / $13M
    2022 / 30 / $17M / $2M / $19M / $2M / $15M

Total contracted players: 47

Roster Allocation (includes re-signing necessary ERFAs) - 6 additional roster spots: $4.7M
    Additional Draft Allocation: $1.7M
    Practice Squad Allocation $1.3M
    Injury Replacement Allocation: $3.8M

Remaining 2018 cap space: $89,267
    Remaining 2019 cap space: $60M (estimated)

Note: if the team needs to open more cap space during the season (to facilitate a trade, for example) the can convert Wilson’s 2018 salary in to a bonus to open up $7.36M.

Explanation / Reasoning:

In general, my thinking is that 2018 will be a “transition” year and the team shouldn’t expect to contend for a title. 2019 will be the target starting year for a new title window. With that in mind, no major $$$ should be invested in any player that will be 30 or over at the start of the 2019 season. Earl falls in to that category, hence the trade.

Dallas has been talked about as a trade partner for obvious reasons. Seattle desperately needs help on the O-Line, and Zach Martin is currently playing on his 5th-year option and has been unable to work out a long-term extension with Dallas after they have given big deals to Frederick and Smith and franchised Lawrence at $17.5M.

Pairing Martin with Andrew Norwell, arguably the two best guards in the NFL, gives Seattle the foundation for the dominating interior line they need to implement the running attack Pete Caroll favors. Martin and Norwell are also young (26 and 27) and would be in their prime for the entirety of their contracts.

On the other hand, that’s a lot of money tied up at OG. Justin Britt had a down year and is due a massive roster bonus soon and his cap hit will average almost $9M over the next three seasons unless Seattle cuts him. At the same time, while he showed promise as a rookie, Ethan Pocic struggled against powerful DTs and he would likely be a better fit at C where he would be less often isolated in single blocking. For these reasons, Britt is released. Seattle moves forward with a foundation of LG Norwell, C Pocic, and RG Martin which should be absolutely dominant for the next five years at least.

Similarly, re-signing Richardson gives the defense a very solid foundation inside, with Reed, Jones, and Richardson. The price is steep but that’s how the market works. Seattle takes a flyer on hometown boy ASJ to replace the aging Graham, and re-signs a few vets (McDougald, Maxwell, Willson) on cap-friendly details for a couple years to ease the transition in to the next SB window.

Seattle does NOT re-up the contracts of Brown, Wright, Clark, and Lockett. Brown will be 34 at the start of the 2019 season, and didn’t play up to his Pro-Bowl billing in 2017. Seattle also likely still wants to see what it has with George Fant. If Fant looks strong and/or Brown fails to impress, it would make sense to let Brown walk (and possibly recoup a comp pick) and move forward with Fant or another player. KJ will be 30 going in to 2019 which makes giving him a 3rd deal risky - no need to rush in to an extension. Lockett had a down season after his big injury, so Seattle holds off to see what he brings in 2018. Clark is the big decision here. My thinking is that Clark needs to prove it as a full-time starter and (with Bennett and Avril gone) as the primary focus of opponent blocking schemes. If he passes this test with flying colors, he either gets extended or he gets the franchise tag. If he doesn’t, the Seahawks aren’t saddled with a huge contract for an average player.

As far as the draft goes, after all the moves outlined above, the Seahawks should be able to draft BPA for the most part. Running back remains a question but remember that 2019 is the key year, which gives the team a year to see how the current backs (Carson, Procise, Madden, etc) produce with new coaching and a better O-Line in front of them. Along with RB, linebacker (with a hole at SLB and KJ in a contract year) and safety are two other areas could use attention. Fortunately these are three of the strongest positions in this draft.

Lastly, the Seahawks would be well-positioned again in 2019 - with a decent amount of cap space and all of their draft picks still in hand.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:22 pm
  • If I’m the gm we sign Peter North. He’s got HUGE potential and a LONG history of success.
    Slick
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:42 pm
  • A-Dog wrote: Trade: Thomas, 2018 pick #18 to Dallas for Zach Martin, 2018 pick #50 (-$841K in cap space)

Very cool trade idea. Has win win potential for the teams and the players.
    gcolby
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:19 pm
  • I want a GDamn LG! Can we do the crap that got us Harvin and Graham to get a legitimate monster at this position? Max is the last key to at least a good defense. A strong guard would go a long way. This is one position I would be willing to overpay for.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:03 pm
  • seahawkfreak wrote:I want a GDamn LG! Can we do the crap that got us Harvin and Graham to get a legitimate monster at this position? Max is the last key to at least a good defense. A strong guard would go a long way. This is one position I would be willing to overpay for.

Earl Thomas for Zach Martin straight up
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:14 pm
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:58 pm
  • This is what the NFL Network is going to look at us as this year..

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:35 am
  • [quote="chris98251"]This is what the NFL Network is going to look at us as this year..

Good.
    --Poster of the Month - April 2018--
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:46 pm
  • Are Hawks looking at Eric Reid?
    gcolby
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:48 pm
  • gcolby wrote:Are Hawks looking at Eric Reid?

I was about to post the same thing ... i think we could have him pretty cheap also
    PaVloVa!8
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:05 pm
  • My conclusions of actual GM/HC moves from the end of season to the end of the draft ( including UDFA rookies) for this offseason. Of course, more moves can be made until the season starts, but that is another story.

First, I am surprised that Avril hasn't been cut, Brown hasn't been extended and ET wasn't traded. All three seemed like absolutes to me. Some of the other cuts and trades made sense. I was surprised about cutting Sherman only because I feel he was more than just a very good player, but was the most vocal LOB member who helped the younger guys. I think we may miss that experience and voice.

Second, we did well with re-signing some of our own FA's including Dion Jordan, Marcus Smith, Quinton Jefferson, Bradley McDougald and really happy about Byron Maxwell. With Sherman being cut that was a real need at least for another year. He can help hold the position down and hopefully help the younger guys learn the system.

Third, I thought our new FA additions were reasoned and needed to fill some holes. Fluker at RG and Dickson at blocking TE are going to help the right side of the line. That should help to open holes for our new franchise RB. On defense getting both Johnson and Stephen for our DT rotation helps with losing both Bennett and Richardson. Their loss won't hurt as badly. In addition getting Mingo at SLB could be like getting another Irvin back at that spot. That could really be useful for this team as we haven't had that spot filled well since he left! Almost forgot we signed a future HOF kicker (Janikowski) who even on his worse day is better than our last guy. And he will be money inside the 50. Book it!

Last our draft picks and rookie UDFA were well reasoned and filled some needed spots for the future. While I still would have liked a monster LG, I get that with limited high picks we needed to go RB. I actually watched Penny several times this last season as he played in my college conference (Fresno State Alum) and saw his talent. I just hope he survives while we get our O-line straightened out. I also watched some USC games (lived in LA for 30 years) and believe getting Green in the 3rd was a steal! The only other player's story I know about is Griffin, but his personality and motivation/focus will be great for this team. And he can play! The rest of our draft class is somewhat new to me, but the process actually made sense. The only UDFA I remember is DT Ford which is a big thing. He is an immovable slab of granite. The fact he wasn't drafted is just nuts, but glad we got him!

I looked at my second GM post plan and it actually came rather close in many ways. Not perfect but who cares. We aren't the real GM's. It was just fun to do.

My biggest concern is still the O-Line. Some things are better (RG, Blocking TE) that will help. But I still see a major hole at LG with no one on our roster that can adequately fill the spot. Will Solari be able to mold these guys and make a sound unit this season? I just don't know. Will we get a veteran LG for a one year deal just for his experience? Maybe. I could even see Joekel on a one year $2-3M deal if no one signs him. Could happen.

In conclusion I see potential and a new direction from our last few seasons. It's exciting to hope that some of our concerns about how much time needed to be a contender may not be that far off again. That will be fun to see!

:irishdrinkers:
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 1:58 pm
  • kf3339 wrote:But I still see a major hole at LG with no one on our roster that can adequately fill the spot. Will Solari be able to mold these guys and make a sound unit this season? I just don't know. Will we get a veteran LG for a one year deal just for his experience? Maybe.

I definitely thought the same, but my initial takeaway from the draft is that they are much higher on Pocic (or Roos?) than I was. Pocic was a second round pick just last year after all and he's clearly added a lot of weight. Perhaps they add a guard in a year where we start with a 2nd rounder, but it didn't appear to be a priority to them this year and that reflects well on Pocic in my view.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Wed May 02, 2018 4:25 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:But I still see a major hole at LG with no one on our roster that can adequately fill the spot. Will Solari be able to mold these guys and make a sound unit this season? I just don't know. Will we get a veteran LG for a one year deal just for his experience? Maybe.

I definitely thought the same, but my initial takeaway from the draft is that they are much higher on Pocic (or Roos?) than I was. Pocic was a second round pick just last year after all and he's clearly added a lot of weight. Perhaps they add a guard in a year where we start with a 2nd rounder, but it didn't appear to be a priority to them this year and that reflects well on Pocic in my view.

You must remember this is just phase 2 as far as the draft, we will start having cuts in June and then again in August and then right before the season starts. We are not done yet.

As far as being the GM, fire Schneider, Fender has a much better grasp of the talent in the league :P

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed May 02, 2018 7:43 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    AgentDib wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:But I still see a major hole at LG with no one on our roster that can adequately fill the spot. Will Solari be able to mold these guys and make a sound unit this season? I just don't know. Will we get a veteran LG for a one year deal just for his experience? Maybe.

You must remember this is just phase 2 as far as the draft, we will start having cuts in June and then again in August and then right before the season starts. We are not done yet.

As far as being the GM, fire Schneider, Fender has a much better grasp of the talent in the league :P

The draft continues when we add a few castaways from other teams, too, either to the 53 or to the practice squad.
    NET Veteran

Thu May 03, 2018 4:50 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:

"IF" I had to pick one lineman who could be considered for LG, it would be Pocic. But that to me is still a big question mark. Hope he can do the job, but right now I just don't know. I am aware of his draft status, but that doesn't guarantee the ability to be a quality starter. So we shall see.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Thu May 03, 2018 4:52 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    AgentDib wrote:

That is true just like there are veteran cuts before and during training/preseason that could come into play. But that is true pretty much year round including potential trades.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 8:22 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information