Source: Seattle trying to trade Michael Bennett

ivotuk

Reaction score
"Bennett is set to count almost $7.4 million against Seattle's salary cap next season.

By trading or releasing him before June 1, the Seahawks would save roughly $2.2 million against the 2018 salary cap while incurring around $5.2 million in dead money charges.

A trade or release would likely come before March 18, when Bennett is owed a $3 million roster bonus."

massari

Reaction score
Bennett only has a $7.3m cap hit this season and a $8.7m in 2019. That is a huge bargain for a versatile DL who made the Pro Bowl this year playing with Plantar Fasciitis all season.

Please don't trade him for less than a 3rd round pick.

James in PA

Reaction score
massari":31wt18gj said:
Bennett only has a $7.3m cap hit this season and a $8.7m in 2019. That is a huge bargain for a versatile DL who made the Pro Bowl this year playing with Plantar Fasciitis all season.

I always feel like the Hawks get the short end of the stick with these trades. Watch them get a 6th for Bennett.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pugs1

Reaction score
I’d be a little shocked if the Seahawks got a third for him but it can’t hurt that this draft is seriously lacking in true hand in the dirt defensive ends.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm predicting a 4th, but hope to be surprised with at least a 3rd. Part of it could be that they are growing tired of his act.
I prefer they keep him, but I'm just a fan. Our opinions mean little.

taco40

Reaction score
I was heartened by the news that they are trying to trade Bennett. I'd like to see them get a lot for him, but I'd like him gone before the March 15th? 18th? deadline. He's been a malcontent for too many years and hasn't made the timely plays that warrant a big paycheck.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
massari":rbeolnab said:

No team is forking over a 3rd for him. Not when they know he's likely getting cut.

Hell, arguably the best CB in the game right now fetched a 4th rounder in 2018. We'll be lucky to get a 5th for Bennett. Can't discount two things going against him.. his age and his activism this season. Some owners won't even consider him because of the latter and many teams would be iffy about taking on that kind of deal for a soon to be 33 year old DT.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's definitely not just about the money, as others have mentioned there's still $5.65m worth of dead money on his 2018 $7.3m cap number. His on field performance next season will be worth more than the $2m difference.

I'd say 51% of this is the slow off-season reporting cycle overreacting to the Hawks discussing potential trades, similar to the Sherman rumors that blew up last off-season. I'm sure many of our veterans have been mentioned in trade talks so far. Pete Carroll says "it's the time of year, conversations going in all directions" and it's viewed as confirmation.

The other 49% of this is probably the locker room/off field stuff. When Pete was asked about it late in the season he talked about how collectively most of the team was tired of it and wanted to focus on football instead. With all of the turnover we are doing they probably want to get younger and get more positive leadership in with a focus on the competition mantra.

Chapow

Reaction score
AgentDib":1ecfxnkh said:
His on field performance next season will be worth more than the $2m difference.

I agree and this is what matters to me. Is it likely that we will be able to replace his performance on the field with $2m in cap savings and a mid round draft pick?

IMO, that's highly doubtful.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Personally, I am tired of his act... it's grown old real fast.

Oh yeah... there's the constant offsides penalties as well.

Bye Michael.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think it’s time to move on from MB. I’m thankful for his time here and his contributions to our Championship team.
I’d be estactic to get a 3rd or 4th rounder (not likely) and OK with a 5th.

AgentDib

Reaction score
To add on to my previous point, if the Hawks were mainly interested in clearing salary room for 2018 then they could simply release Bennett and designate him as one of their two post June 1 cuts. That would free up significantly more money this year ($5.6m) than if they traded him. Trading him for a draft pick instead would be a long-term (2019+) move aimed at adding youth.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
AgentDib":39b48nyl said:
To add on to my previous point, if the Hawks were mainly interested in clearing salary room for 2018 then they could simply release Bennett and designate him as one of their two post June 1 cuts. That would free up significantly more money this year ($5.6m) than if they traded him. Trading him for a draft pick instead would be a long-term (2019+) move aimed at adding youth.
The problem with a post-June 1st cut is the cap space saved in 2018 by declaring him so is not available for the team to spend at the start of free agency (March 12th)... instead, it's not available until June 1st, by which time the cream of the UFA crop have already been signed elsewhere.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I’d be giddy if the Seahawks traded Michael Bennett, but that because I’m a 9ers fan.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm indifferent. I don't think the $2 mil savings is really worth it, but I also think he's got a year or two left of being a good player so trying to get something for him makes some sense. As to Popeye being excited for them to trade him, Father Time is going to ensure the 9ers won't have to worry about him soon enough anyway.

sdog1981

Reaction score
He is still a very good player. The team needs to play him less, look at his production last season. He could still provide that to this team but in much smaller bursts.