Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Bennett + 7th traded to Eagles for 5th, WR Marcus Johnson

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • DJrmb wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Marcus Johnson was a mediocre college player. But I want some of what you're smoking.

HAHAHAHA

Because there's never been a player that had a better NFL career than College... Right?

There's many factors that could play into a players production at any given level. Fact is though that he's more athletic than the guy they need to replace. He certainly has a chance to stick. Plus it's not like PRich is some super star...

Five catches in his career (on eight total targets with a lost fumble). Zero special teams tackles. Undrafted. Injured for a few games as a senior at Texas. Even when healthy, he could not even start in college for a Texas team that was thin at receiver. Injured again in training camp as an undrafted rookie. Had played in 10 total games.

If he "sticks," it's because we have nothing better behind Baldwin and Lockett.

He "Stuck" in Philly on a team with one of the deeper WR corps in the league. They were going to have to spend a later round pick to bring in someone and now they don't have to. If they like his upside more than a flier in the 2018 NFL draft I trust their judgment.

Highly unlikely he would have made their roster this year.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:HAHAHAHA

Because there's never been a player that had a better NFL career than College... Right?

There's many factors that could play into a players production at any given level. Fact is though that he's more athletic than the guy they need to replace. He certainly has a chance to stick. Plus it's not like PRich is some super star...

Five catches in his career (on eight total targets with a lost fumble). Zero special teams tackles. Undrafted. Injured for a few games as a senior at Texas. Even when healthy, he could not even start in college for a Texas team that was thin at receiver. Injured again in training camp as an undrafted rookie. Had played in 10 total games.

He "Stuck" in Philly on a team with one of the deeper WR corps in the league. They were going to have to spend a later round pick to bring in someone and now they don't have to. If they like his upside more than a flier in the 2018 NFL draft I trust their judgment.

Sounds like this is a Richardo Lockette redux.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:

Sounds like this is a Richardo Lockette redux.

Except, he didn't play much on special teams for Philadelphia. So . . .
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• The trade comp is weak, but that was to be expected. Adios.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• HATE this trade.

We make the reining, defending champs even better, our defense gets worse, and we take a cap hit which prevents us from getting a replacement.

Lost in all the drama he caused, he did ring up 8.5 sacks, all while playing on a bum foot and bum knee for most of the season. We made our bed when we signed him to the extension last year.

I don’t see how this makes us a better team. I appreciate everything he gave us, and he was a big reason why we went to two straight Super Bowls. Nobody complained about him being a distraction back then.
    ben@thetabs
    THE TABS
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Doesnt mean anything, but Eagle fans dont seem to like this trade either. They dont want Bennett.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• THE TABS wrote:HATE this trade.

We make the reining, defending champs even better, our defense gets worse, and we take a cap hit which prevents us from getting a replacement.

Lost in all the drama he caused, he did ring up 8.5 sacks, all while playing on a bum foot and bum knee for most of the season. We made our bed when we signed him to the extension last year.

I don’t see how this makes us a better team. I appreciate everything he gave us, and he was a big reason why we went to two straight Super Bowls. Nobody complained about him being a distraction back then.

This trade makes us a better team because it gets rid of the cancer. We'd all be amazed if Marcus Johnson "makes waves" on the gridiron. I'd almost bet that Michael gets injured once again and cannot play even half of the season.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:Doesnt mean anything, but Eagle fans dont seem to like this trade either. They dont want Bennett.

There are racist Eagles fans, too.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Bennett's focus seemed to be more on social issues last year than the field. A guy making that much money, making that big of a ruckus, and even though he was injured his production slipped are all signs he was out the door.

"Squeaky wheels gets the grease"
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:Doesnt mean anything, but Eagle fans dont seem to like this trade either. They dont want Bennett.

my buddy is a huge eagles fan and his favorite hobby was ripping the hawks and Bennett in particular was his top target. He is just devastated this morning. Doesn't matter how much Bennett could help their team it's all about the person that Bennett is and the circus he creates, they don't want any drama on their team as it's peaking.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

• I would much rather have the 7th round pick than Marcus Johnson. The 7th round pick would have four years of team control, would probably be younger, and might have the possibility to amount to something in the NFL. Marcus Johnson is like a hundred other journeyman who will be available on the waiver wire.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• When it comes to the Hawks cap situation its a case of age+salary+injuries+production+big mouth= GONE. This team is due for a retool and is getting one. Didn't get the best of the trade but it sounds like thats the market for a 32 year old more interested in activism than football. We sure werent gonna reap the benefits of the 3 yrs left on his deal. Not sorry to see him go.
    penihawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm sure this will make people happy.

Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

• HawkFan72 wrote:I'm sure this will make people happy.

this better be wrong
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

Why lose to the Patriots in the Super Bowl when you can just lose to the Eagles? :shock:
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

No way they would pass on that deal............would they???

Last edited by Blitzer88 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• No way that's true. Next
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• flmmkrz wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:I'm sure this will make people happy.

this better be wrong

Doesn’t even make sense. The difference in comp there is big.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• I'm going to feel better about this if the Sheldon Richardson deal gets done soon.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Blitzer88 wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:I'm sure this will make people happy.

No way they would pass on that deal............would they???

This makes more sense. JS is honorable. If he had a deal with Philly, he would not back out of it.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

• This is not good.
    SixSeahawk
    NET Starter

• Seattle saves -

$2,200,000 in cap space in 2018
    $8,725,000 in cap space in 2019
    $10,225,000 in cap space in 2020

It doesn't really make sense this year, but it certainly does in subsequent years.

Also, if he was moved next off season, those numbers change so simply 'waiting a year' doesn't make sense.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• hawknation2018 wrote:I would much rather have the 7th round pick than Marcus Johnson. The 7th round pick would have four years of team control, would probably be younger, and might have the possibility to amount to something in the NFL. Marcus Johnson is like a hundred other journeyman who will be available on the waiver wire.

Sounds like JS has gone completely nuts................Just heard this on the radio

@RapSheet just said with @IanFurnessSea the Patriots offered a 3rd round pick for Michael Bennett and a 5th round pick. And they chose to go with Philly. Wow.

Watch this receiver pan out to be nothing like 95% of the other Wr's Hawks were high on.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• RCATES wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:I would much rather have the 7th round pick than Marcus Johnson. The 7th round pick would have four years of team control, would probably be younger, and might have the possibility to amount to something in the NFL. Marcus Johnson is like a hundred other journeyman who will be available on the waiver wire.

Sounds like JS has gone completely nuts................Just heard this on the radio

@RapSheet just said with @IanFurnessSea the Patriots offered a 3rd round pick for Michael Bennett and a 5th round pick. And they chose to go with Philly. Wow.

Watch this receiver pan out to be nothing like 95% of the other Wr's Hawks were high on.

Supposedly, they got the Patriots' offer after agreeing to terms with the Eagles.

Why were they in such a hurry? Hopefully, they're getting ready for Sheldon Richardson to sign on the dotted line.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• I don't think the cap space helps us because we have a history of squandering cap space with bad contracts.

All this does is make it easier for them to spend too much on guys that won't be very good anyway.

Yay.

Go Seahawks?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• If that Patriots offer were true, Philly should just trade him to the Pats for the same thing right now.
    Jeremy517
    NET Rookie

• People believe everything they read on tweets :roll:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Jeremy517 wrote:If that Patriots offer were true, Philly should just trade him to the Pats for the same thing right now.

I was thinking about that. I don't think it's out of the question that they will pursue better compensation.

Of course, if I were them, I would rather have Bennett than even a 3rd round pick. He's a Pro Bowler and his contract is reasonable.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:I don't think the cap space helps us because we have a history of squandering cap space with bad contracts.

All this does is make it easier for them to spend too much on guys that won't be very good anyway.

Yay.

Go Seahawks?

Really LOL?

How did our "budget kicker" work out last year?
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    Jeremy517 wrote:If that Patriots offer were true, Philly should just trade him to the Pats for the same thing right now.

I was thinking about that. I don't think it's out of the question that they will pursue better compensation.

Of course, if I were them, I would rather have Bennett than even a 3rd round pick. He's a Pro Bowler and his contract is reasonable.

If they pulled off a pass through trade, they'd end up giving up Marcus Johnson and a 5th for a 7th and a 3rd. That's a pretty good day without spending a dime

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• kidhawk wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    Jeremy517 wrote:If that Patriots offer were true, Philly should just trade him to the Pats for the same thing right now.

If they pulled off a pass through trade, they'd end up giving up Marcus Johnson and a 5th for a 7th and a 3rd. That's a pretty good day without spending a dime

Either way, this was a hell of a trade for the Super Bowl Champion Eagles. Congrats to them. Their team is looking deep and scary.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• The Pats deal was MB and a 5th for a 3rd, not a 3rd and a 5th but it came in after they agreed with Philly. JS is a man of his word.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• SoulfishHawk wrote:People believe everything they read on tweets :roll:

Wasn't a tweet. Ian said it Live on local Seattle radio. Hawks blow trades on a Epic level. Smh
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• There are 31 other teams to pull for if you like. And yes, people do believe pretty much any tweet they see. Bennett AND a 5th for 3rd? Meh. And just because someone claims it on Twitter, doesn't mean it's gospel.
    Last edited by SoulfishHawk on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• JS is a man of his word?

Why the hell would you make a promise to make a deal without actually checking with ALL the other trading partners?

Does that even make sense?

I would actually rather a guy that lies and cheats all the time and gets us better deals when he makes them. Who the hell cares about his word if the result is garbage?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• Nobody on here knows how it went down. NOBODY
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• RCATES wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:People believe everything they read on tweets :roll:

Wasn't a tweet. Ian said it Live on local Seattle radio. Hawks blow trades on a Epic level. Smh

Well that is a pretty nice welcome to Seattle surprise "favor". :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Are you a trade expert? Seeing as you want to trade Wilson, I figure you must be. :snack:
    Last edited by Seymour on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• I don't care if it's a tweet or was on the radio, these guys spout crap that never ends up happening all the time.
    So now whatever Ian R says is the be all end all. Um.....no
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• The more you lie and go back on deals, the less other organizations would be willing to trade with you. I imagine having a good rep as a GM opens up a lot of opportunities.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

• MrThortan wrote:The more you lie and go back on deals, the less other organizations would be willing to trade with you. I imagine having a good rep as a GM opens up a lot of opportunities.

Took the words out of my mouth in relation to this -

TwistedHusky wrote:JS is a man of his word?

Why the hell would you make a promise to make a deal without actually checking with ALL the other trading partners?

Does that even make sense?

I would actually rather a guy that lies and cheats all the time and gets us better deals when he makes them. Who the hell cares about his word if the result is garbage?
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• RCATES wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:I would much rather have the 7th round pick than Marcus Johnson. The 7th round pick would have four years of team control, would probably be younger, and might have the possibility to amount to something in the NFL. Marcus Johnson is like a hundred other journeyman who will be available on the waiver wire.

Wow if this true whatta horrific move by our FO.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:
    RCATES wrote:

original poster wrote:The Pats deal was MB and a 5th for a 3rd, not a 3rd and a 5th but it came in after they agreed with Philly. JS is a man of his word.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• original poster wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:
    RCATES wrote:

original poster wrote:The Pats deal was MB and a 5th for a 3rd, not a 3rd and a 5th but it came in after they agreed with Philly. JS is a man of his word.

Belichick would have just waved at Philly and taken the 3rd.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• No possible way for any of us to know if this is true or not. But people will assume the worst regardless :?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• He is worth the money as his salary is not exorbitant, especially when you garner very little savings when trading him.

So this confirms the front office was tired of his antics, and weren't really concerned with the value they would gain as long as they got rid of him.

It was one of the questions I was looking forward to having answered this off-season, as productivity wise he was well worth the money.

This move had everything to do with locker room environment, and team culture. And very little to do with age, salary, performance as those are the much smaller factors at play here.

Bennett is going to have a hell of a year with the Eagles.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:Doesnt mean anything, but Eagle fans dont seem to like this trade either. They dont want Bennett.

There are racist Eagles fans, too.

I don't think it's racist if you're coming from a pure Seahawks/football fan perspective. He was a major distraction, and I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or not that our decline as a team seemed to coincide with his political BS. I hate it when players bring that crap onto the field. Just brings unnecessary distractions when every brain should be concentrating 100% on Football. Funny how in 2 seasons he went from one of my favorite Seahawks to the one I wanted gone the most... And I'm a lefty, btw... Buh bye Michael. Thanks for all your prior contributions to our team. Much appreciated.
    "Tackling is an attitude. You have to want to." Kam Chancellor

RIP Les
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Can anyone show how Mike B was a distraction and prove that it affected our on field performance? Does Doug's activism get anywhere near the same "distraction" treatment? All I can think of are the offsides penalties which are consistently a part of his game and the end of game fight with the Jags.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Patriots announce release of Martellus Bennett, Bernard Reedy, I imagine that Michael would have been a bit confused with this also, hey but now we can bring in his Brother at TE since he was released and a lot wanted him last year.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Bennett was becoming a locker room distraction and aging. I like the trade. We get a young receiver and another draft pick. Philly really liked the guy, just didn't really need him yet since their offense was doing great. I bet John saw this as a player he would have drafted anyway. Seems like an off the field gem, too
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:32 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information