Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Bennett + 7th traded to Eagles for 5th, WR Marcus Johnson

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • BlueThunder wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:Doesnt mean anything, but Eagle fans dont seem to like this trade either. They dont want Bennett.

There are racist Eagles fans, too.

I don't think it's racist if you're coming from a pure Seahawks/football fan perspective. He was a major distraction, and I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or not that our decline as a team seemed to coincide with his political BS. I hate it when players bring that crap onto the field. Just brings unnecessary distractions when every brain should be concentrating 100% on Football. Funny how in 2 seasons he went from one of my favorite Seahawks to the one I wanted gone the most... And I'm a lefty, btw... Buh bye Michael. Thanks for all your prior contributions to our team. Much appreciated.

A major distraction to whom?

The basis of the Bennett trade need not be predicated at all on wild speculation from fans who insert themselves into the lockeroom in a way that would make Peter King blush.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• How the hell did we let this happen? We trade Mike B to the reigning SB champs in our own conference instead of out of conference for a MUCH better deal. Disgraceful if true. Hoping this is #FakeNews
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:Patriots announce release of Martellus Bennett, Bernard Reedy, I imagine that Michael would have been a bit confused with this also, hey but now we can bring in his Brother at TE since he was released and a lot wanted him last year.

NO...even the Packers disliked his play and jettisoned him. The fans I deal with were happy he left/got traded.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:

How the hell did we let this happen? We trade Mike B to the reigning SB champs in our own conference instead of out of conference for a MUCH better deal. Disgraceful if true. Hoping this is #FakeNews

I hope this is fake. Nice guys finish last.
    ducks41468
    NET Rookie

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Patriots announce release of Martellus Bennett, Bernard Reedy, I imagine that Michael would have been a bit confused with this also, hey but now we can bring in his Brother at TE since he was released and a lot wanted him last year.

NO...even the Packers disliked his play and jettisoned him. The fans I deal with were happy he left/got traded.

Oh come on, he was only injured most the year and pouted his way off the Packers, but look at Erin, who wouldn't pout :P

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Patriots announce release of Martellus Bennett, Bernard Reedy, I imagine that Michael would have been a bit confused with this also, hey but now we can bring in his Brother at TE since he was released and a lot wanted him last year.

Oh come on, he was only injured most the year and pouted his way off the Packers, but look at Erin, who wouldn't pout :P

I did not know you could make such a great argument.....So I must give in...

Well...not exactly. :stirthepot:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• ducks41468 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:

How the hell did we let this happen? We trade Mike B to the reigning SB champs in our own conference instead of out of conference for a MUCH better deal. Disgraceful if true. Hoping this is #FakeNews

Nice guys also are able to trade with other teams in the future. If Schneider backs out of a verbal agreement, no one will trust his verbal agreements down the road. A 3rd rounder is worth that to you?
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

• adeltaY wrote:Can anyone show how Mike B was a distraction and prove that it affected our on field performance? Does Doug's activism get anywhere near the same "distraction" treatment? All I can think of are the offsides penalties which are consistently a part of his game and the end of game fight with the Jags.

That's not exactly something you can "prove". It's just imagining yourself on the team and all the non-football talk going on in the locker room that could have been spent on breaking down the opponents weaknesses. Logical conjecture, but not pure fact. But a pretty good feeling about it, seeing as how you know he was talking and thinking about it instead of thinking football. He was distracting himself if nobody else. Maybe that had something to do with all those damn off-sides penalties. Anyhoo, that's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. Sherm however... He's been kinda the same but to a much lesser degree. But both overpaid for what they NOW contribute (I realize that's up for argument, but I'm looking ahead to this coming season, another year older). Paid way more for less performance than what they used to do for much less. That is the formula that the Pats have avoided to remain perennially competitive. Something we need to embrace. Make the tough cuts to remain on the top of the heap. I'm pretty sure we're seeing the beginnings of an attempt to embrace the Patriots philosophy. I hope so anyways...
    "Tackling is an attitude. You have to want to." Kam Chancellor

RIP Les
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• BlueThunder wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:Can anyone show how Mike B was a distraction and prove that it affected our on field performance? Does Doug's activism get anywhere near the same "distraction" treatment? All I can think of are the offsides penalties which are consistently a part of his game and the end of game fight with the Jags.

That's not exactly something you can "prove". It's just imagining yourself on the team and all the non-football talk going on in the locker room that could have been spent on breaking down the opponents weaknesses. Logical conjecture, but not pure fact. But a pretty good feeling about it, seeing as how you know he was talking and thinking about it instead of thinking football. He was distracting himself if nobody else. Maybe that had something to do with all those damn off-sides penalties. Anyhoo, that's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. Sherm however... He's been kinda the same but to a much lesser degree. But both overpaid for what they NOW contribute (I realize that's up for argument, but I'm looking ahead to this coming season, another year older). Paid way more for less performance than what they used to do for much less. That is the formula that the Pats have avoided to remain perennially competitive. Something we need to embrace. Make the tough cuts to remain on the top of the heap. I'm pretty sure we're seeing the beginnings of an attempt to embrace the Patriots philosophy. I hope so anyways...

Imagining yourself on the team is the first mistake. I'm sure if you interacted daily with any of the dudes like MB or Malcolm Jenkins over the course of 4-5 seasons in the NFL and 3 to 4 prior season in the NCAA you wouldn't be automatically arrested by their strong opinions on topics vitally important to them.

Fan in armchair assuming a fundamental change in circumstance and assuming they, themselves remain the static variable...cmon.

Again, once and for all hopefully, anyone talking about Bennett being a distraction is doing so in a hypothetical farce where you're still unmoved by a teammate speaking up about a particular empathetical blind spot for years.

Chris Long aint sweating it.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:Can anyone show how Mike B was a distraction and prove that it affected our on field performance? Does Doug's activism get anywhere near the same "distraction" treatment? All I can think of are the offsides penalties which are consistently a part of his game and the end of game fight with the Jags.

Again, once and for all hopefully, anyone talking about Bennett being a distraction is doing so in a hypothetical farce where you're still unmoved by a teammate speaking up about a particular empathetical blind spot for years.

Hypothetical, yet anyone paying any attention can make a pretty logical conclusion. Percy Harvin anyone? And we can see you're basing things politically. I was basing my opinion on general human nature. To think that locker room distractions do not exist is not accurate.

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• adeltaY wrote:

IF TRUE I'm convinced JS/PC like getting fleeced in trades to make more friends around the league.

HawkFan72 wrote:Nice guys also are able to trade with other teams in the future. If Schneider backs out of a verbal agreement, no one will trust his verbal agreements down the road. A 3rd rounder is worth that to you?

If I'm the Eagles I 100% understand a team turning down a deal to make a better one if it came in last minute. Are GM's really that juvenile?

EDIT: Is this forum now to the point where you can't even post "WTF"? LOL
    Last edited by massari on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• BlueThunder wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:

Hypothetical, yet anyone paying any attention can make a pretty logical conclusion. Percy Harvin anyone? And we can see you're basing things politically. I was basing my opinion on general human nature. To think that locker room distractions do not exist is not accurate.

Youre not employing logic though. In the absence of info that confirms your thesis youre resting on ambiguity and other players as foundational rationale for your thesis.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:

Youre not employing logic though. In the absence of info that confirms your thesis youre resting on ambiguity and other players as foundational rationale for your thesis.

I said it was just my opinion, and to take it or leave it. I'm just relying on common sense and what I've garnered from previous stories I've heard of locker room distractions. It's a real thing, and has brought down more than one team. And it's not too hard to imagine yourself in a locker room of teammates with an elephant in the room. Let's just leave it at that, Mmmkay?
    Last edited by BlueThunder on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• It's business, either you have a deal or you don't have a deal. Doing what you say you would do has more value than becoming known as sharp and unreliable in transactions. Play the game for the long term and seek no smalladvantage in small things that lessen your reputation.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Bennett had Planters Fasciitis all season in 2017. Still made Pro Bowl.

massari
    NET Veteran

• massari wrote:Bennett had Planters Fasciitis all season in 2017. Still made Pro Bowl.

EXACTAMUNDO! Trade him while he still has ANY value... The Patriot way... Though the Pats may have traded him last year. Or the year before.
    Last edited by BlueThunder on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• The worst part of the trade is he is going to place where he can be part of a rotation and will not be playing 80% of the snaps. So every big game he has people on this site will lose their lunch.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• massari wrote:Bennett had Planters Fasciitis all season in 2017. Still made Pro Bowl.

Bennett didn't really make the pro bowl. He was an alternate... I guess you can say that's making it if you want.

Also by your own graphic he played better in 2011-2014 and went to No pro bowls... So the simple argument that he went to a pro bowl is flawed.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• BlueThunder wrote:
    massari wrote:Bennett had Planters Fasciitis all season in 2017. Still made Pro Bowl.

EXACTAMUNDO! Trade him while he still has ANY value... The Patriot way... Though the Pats may have traded him last year.

Great visual...

One more thing....Pro B..Owl..is that not a popularity contest for 2 hand touch or flag football. Cmon man....
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• BlueThunder wrote:
    massari wrote:Bennett had Planters Fasciitis all season in 2017. Still made Pro Bowl.

EXACTAMUNDO! Trade him while he still has ANY value... The Patriot way... Though the Pats may have traded him last year. Or the year before.

YAY! We traded a Pro Bowler+7th for a 5th rounder! Awesome value!
    massari
    NET Veteran

• massari wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:

I hate continuing this conversation, but man... This is the new NFL. You CAN'T WIN by being sentimental anymore. You have GOT to get rid of aging, over-priced, declining vets to remain competitive, no matter how beloved they are. It just doesn't work anymore in this tight, salary-cap era. We have to evolve if we want another shot at the title in the next ten years. It's just the new reality. Will somebody back me up here?

RIP Les
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• I don't know who else feels the same but removing a cancer the team is a fantastic addition by subtraction. This team needs to get back to what made them win the super bowl in the first place and get away from pay me now attitudes and political undertones at every turn.

I still feel like more discipline is always the better answer but maybe thats just me.

Bennett is washed, definitely showed signs of the downhill of his career, I think this was a good move overall, but of course you always want to get more.
    .NET Pick The Score - 1st Season

"Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected for one reason or another, their growth, their development and all that, and the best thing I can tell you is that they're not here." - Big Balls Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

• Forgive me if I'm not all that excited for a 5th... The Eagles won the SB so it is the last pick in the 5th round. Very different from a middle pick. It was a salary cap dump, that is all we really got out of it.
    BullHawk33
    NET Starter

• BlueThunder wrote:
    massari wrote:
    BlueThunder wrote:

I hate continuing this conversation, but man... This is the new NFL. You CAN'T WIN by being sentimental anymore. You have GOT to get rid of aging, over-priced, declining vets to remain competitive, no matter how beloved they are. It just doesn't work anymore in this tight, salary-cap era. We have to evolve if we want another shot at the title in the next ten years. It's just the new reality. Will somebody back me up here?

It's never personal, just the way you have to do things in order to win. Pete is FINALLYYYY learning this.
    .NET Pick The Score - 1st Season

"Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected for one reason or another, their growth, their development and all that, and the best thing I can tell you is that they're not here." - Big Balls Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

Seems to me that shows that he peaked 3 years ago. Maybe gradual but definitely a steady downward trend.
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

• BlueThunder wrote:You have GOT to get rid of aging, over-priced, declining vets to remain competitive, no matter how beloved they are. It just doesn't work anymore in this tight, salary-cap era.

Explain how he's "over-priced"?
    massari
    NET Veteran

• Let's be clear: Bennett is not a cancer in the locker room. Many players support his actions and his speaking out. He's only a cancer OUTSIDE the locker room, by fans who think players owe it to them to--in Bennet's case--literally dance for them.

You can't call him a distraction if he's only distracting you. His teammates don't care.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

• Another trade where the Seahawks get nothing. Some no name receiver and a 5th round pick. Giving up the best pass rusher on the team. The draft pick should have at least been a 3rd round pick. Bennett by himself is worth that. Seahawks FO is on the wrong end of many of these deals lately. Not sure what's going on there. I guess we won't have to suffer through offside penalties from Bennett though.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• Duane Brown is a few months older than Bennett. Are the Hawks going to give him away as well to get younger and create more cap room?

Brown has a higher cap hit and zero dead money.
    Last edited by massari on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• A 5th and we had to give up a 7th? hahahahahahaha. Same old same old.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

• If we trade Wilson and that 5th, I wonder if Schneids will be able to work his magic and get a 3rd in return
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

• massari wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:

IF TRUE I'm convinced JS/PC like getting fleeced in trades to make more friends around the league.

HawkFan72 wrote:Nice guys also are able to trade with other teams in the future. If Schneider backs out of a verbal agreement, no one will trust his verbal agreements down the road. A 3rd rounder is worth that to you?

If I'm the Eagles I 100% understand a team turning down a deal to make a better one if it came in last minute. Are GM's really that juvenile?

EDIT: Is this forum now to the point where you can't even post "WTF"? LOL

Exactly this. It's a verbal agreement, not a signed contract. I bet it happens all the time actually, and no one makes a fuss because you only hear about the final trade. It's the nature of the business and GM's are aware that someone might swoop in with a better offer. In fact I'd be annoyed if someone took my offer over a better one and question that person's motives.
    ducks41468
    NET Rookie

• King Dog wrote:A 5th and we had to give up a 7th? hahahahahahaha. Same old same old.

Yeah but we got some receiver who's supposed to replace Richardson. Never mind that he had all of 5 catches this year.
    ducks41468
    NET Rookie

• HawkFan72 wrote:
    ducks41468 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:

Nice guys also are able to trade with other teams in the future. If Schneider backs out of a verbal agreement, no one will trust his verbal agreements down the road. A 3rd rounder is worth that to you?

Uh yeah. And I’m pretty sure the 30 other NFL teams would understand the Seahawks taking a clearly better deal.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• Decimation wrote:The rich get richer.

Paul and Sheldon for example...
    Own The West
    NET Rookie

• Must be a high grade on this UDFA Wr with not accepting a 3rd and 5th from NE, head scratcher at best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DJ_CJ
    NET Starter

• I'm just spit balling but I think when things don't go well for MB he acts out. My guess is he has question so coaching moves over the last few years and they have grown tired of it. Once again just a guess but if you watch him at the end of games in kneel down situations you can see he has a problem controlling his emotions. MB the player is a stud and I wish him the best regardless of what was going on he always gave it a 100.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Objectively and reasonably, I don’t really see how this is a great move. Or even a good one. Played good on a major injury, had major contributions to our Super Bowl runs, and did Great work in the community. Also don’t understand those who may feel this is a good move because of politics. We all have different politics here.

We definitely didn’t get good value for him, that’s for sure. Eagles got a steal for a player who will fit well in that city on and off the field
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

• Adios! I support the move. Make it all about yourself and your gone. So many got tired of is act.
    rjas77
    NET Rookie

• He's on a downhill slide and we got rid of him at the right time.
    Oh yeah, I sure as hell don't want CUSHING. WTF? Concussion history alone would steer me clear. Throw in the PED bullshit and JS is out of his damn mind if we sign this guy.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• WmHBonney wrote:He's on a downhill slide and we got rid of him at the right time.
    Oh yeah, I sure as hell don't want CUSHING. WTF? Concussion history alone would steer me clear. Throw in the PED bullshit and JS is out of his damn mind if we sign this guy.

1 year prove it deal with stipulations/incentives for majority... why not??

DJ_CJ
    NET Starter

• WmHBonney wrote:He's on a downhill slide and we got rid of him at the right time.

But why accept a deal when another with a 3rd and 5th were offered?

DJ_CJ
    NET Starter

• rjas77 wrote:Adios! I support the move. Make it all about yourself and your gone. So many got tired of is act.

Are you still doing this? His teammates publicly disagree with your sentiment that it was all about him. Stop with the "act" garbage.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Maelstrom787 wrote:
    rjas77 wrote:Adios! I support the move. Make it all about yourself and your gone. So many got tired of is act.

Are you still doing this? His teammates publicly disagree with your sentiment that it was all about him. Stop with the "act" garbage.

I'm not the one who pulled the trigger am I? There's a reason the Front Office let him go. Like I said...good riddance Bennett :)
    rjas77
    NET Rookie

• So basically, the Seahawks got their 5th rounder back that they traded for Matt F'n Tobin and gave Philly back their 7th.

All in all, the Seahawks traded Michael Bennett for Matt Tobin, Marcus Johnson and $2M in cap savings this coming season. :irishdrinkers:
    massari
    NET Veteran

• DJ_CJ wrote:Must be a high grade on this UDFA Wr with not accepting a 3rd and 5th from NE, head scratcher at best

Not a 3rd and a 5th.
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

• rjas77 wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    rjas77 wrote:Adios! I support the move. Make it all about yourself and your gone. So many got tired of is act.

I'm not the one who pulled the trigger am I? There's a reason the Front Office let him go. Like I said...good riddance Bennett :)

Reason is that he missed 5 games with a knee injury in 2016 at age 30 and played all of last year with plantar fasciitis at age 31. He's now already 32.

This is extremely common reasoning when those patterns start to show over 30. Know what else is also common with posters of a particular sentiment?
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• Good riddance. He had become far too high maintenance and the penalties were outweighing the good play too often.

I'll miss Sherm.

I won't miss Bennett one bit.
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

• this FO is turning into Ruskell 2.0. they are not who we thought they were.
    Shaq Griffin: 2017 Adopt a Rookie (injury substitution)
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• JustTheTip wrote:
    DJ_CJ wrote:Must be a high grade on this UDFA Wr with not accepting a 3rd and 5th from NE, head scratcher at best

Not a 3rd and a 5th.

Per Rapoport that is what NE offered... also heard from Scef and Fox Sports on radio on way home from work... maybe not the complete offer just what heard from multiple places

DJ_CJ
    NET Starter

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:17 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information