Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Bennett + 7th traded to Eagles for 5th, WR Marcus Johnson

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• This makes little sense in terms of strictly salary and on field production.

Perhaps they really like Marcus Johnson but it's more likely that the locker room element was a deal breaker for them and they had decided to move on from Bennett this off-season at any cost. I suspect it's less to do with the national anthem stuff and more to do with the penalties, his attitude towards coaching about them, and the example that sets for the rookies.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• JimmyG wrote:
    RCATES wrote:Hawks always get worked on trades. JS is not the genius we claim he is. This is the beginning of the end fella's. I got hammered on here for saying it a month ago. Come eat your crow.

In fairness, veteran players almost never bring in good trade hauls. Bennett is still a good player, but he was 33 and had off the field concerns. Remember when Anquan Boldin and a ridiculous playoffs en route to a SB, and then was traded for a 6th round pick the ensuing a couple months later?

Don't sugar coat it. MB is still 32 and Hawks got worked yet again. It's outright cringeworthy how bad they have been in trades.

"Eagles traded a 7 and Matt Tobin to Seattle for a 5. Seattle than traded a 7 and Michael Bennett for a 5 and Marcus Johnson.

The Eagles basically traded Matt Tobin and Marcus Johnson for Michael Bennett, lol."
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• This is ALL about getting younger by re-signing Sheldon Richardson and hoping that 5th rounder sticks.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• mrt144 wrote:
    xStickybudz wrote::irishdrinkers:
    hawksincebirth wrote:FIRE JOHN SCHNEIDER HE IS A IDIOT

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm..... trading a aging asset that is battling injury is good GMing. I dunno if you watched Bennett last year but that man looks done

He had an off year with a foot injury and was still better than average. The foot injury casts doubt on forward performance but he hardly looked 'done' and i defy you to provide an analysis where he is anything but average at worst.

K? and John Schneider should be fired for trading a aging asset that is battling injury? Regardless if he was average or not you can’t keep everyone and as much as I loved Michael he is on the wrong side of 30 and eventually you need to cut ties to pay younger players
    xStickybudz
    NET Veteran

• RCATES wrote:
    JimmyG wrote:
    RCATES wrote:Hawks always get worked on trades. JS is not the genius we claim he is. This is the beginning of the end fella's. I got hammered on here for saying it a month ago. Come eat your crow.

In fairness, veteran players almost never bring in good trade hauls. Bennett is still a good player, but he was 33 and had off the field concerns. Remember when Anquan Boldin and a ridiculous playoffs en route to a SB, and then was traded for a 6th round pick the ensuing a couple months later?

Don't sugar coat it. MB is still 32 and Hawks got worked yet again. It's outright cringeworthy how bad they have been in trades.

"Eagles traded a 7 and Matt Tobin to Seattle for a 5. Seattle than traded a 7 and Michael Bennett for a 5 and Marcus Johnson.

The Eagles basically traded Matt Tobin and Marcus Johnson for Michael Bennett, lol."

Everyone wanted to be the Patriots. They forgot that the Patriots don't get first rounders for everyone they offload.

I'm not too upset about this move given Bennett's age. But we're not going to get better without him unless the team knows something about Malik that I don't.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Rat wrote:Well, that's some poor value, but was anyone really expecting more?

For 8.5 sacks and 40 pressures? I at least HOPED for more. Didn't expect it, though.

It's not what he did.. but what would be expected of him in the future.

Took a hit here, but you have to figure it's better than waiting a year later and getting even less for an aged, then ineffective Dlineman
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• RCATES wrote:It's outright cringeworthy how bad they have been in trades.

A better take is that Bennett didn't have much trade value in the first place. Do you think they gave other teams a chance to offer a better pick?
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    RCATES wrote:
    JimmyG wrote:

Everyone wanted to be the Patriots. They forgot that the Patriots don't get first rounders for everyone they offload.

I'm not too upset about this move given Bennett's age. But we're not going to get better without him unless the team knows something about Malik that I don't.

man if only that kid was fit to go id be more than happy
    “Well, they’re going to have to stop all of us. You feel me. I’m a piece to it, but we’ve got some dogs.”
    Str8OuttaSkittles
    NET Starter

• Every time I wonder how many terrible moves this team can make outside of the draft, they surprise me again.

I find it funny that for a guy that is supposedly going to be easy to replace, a team with one of the best DLs in football, that was already so good it won the SB, wants him.

But apparently he isn't a big loss for us.

Yeah right.

I kinda wish Green Bay would have 'stolen' JS from us. At least I would stop dreading the dumbass moves we make in the offseason.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• The drama is strong, this is far from the worst thing that could have happened to the Hawks.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:Hey, hey, meow...we almost always come out on top when trading with the Eagles. Watch that 5th rounde4 turn into a nice pass rusher as a rook and starter down the road.

I mean, the 5th round pick that the Eagles traded today for Bennett was traded from Seattle to Philly in the Matt Tobin deal so I think we can say who won that one (Tobin).

Eagles basically got Michael Bennett and a 7th for Matt Tobin and Marcus Johnson.
    xkj1985x
    NET Rookie

• True.

We still are waiting on that that annual bad FA signing for high dollars that happens every year for a player you would trade at the end of the year for a half eaten sandwich - just to get rid of him.

I am on pins and needles as to who our next Cary Williams, Lacey or Joekel is going to be. I have no idea who it is, but it is coming.

Meanwhile we lost a productive pass rusher that made our other guys productive because they had to concentrate on him.

No it isn't the worst. But it isn't good news.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• I just wonder who the Eagles have on their roster to fill in for half the plays that Bennett should not be on the field for. If they play Green Bay, they will need a speed cart to get Bennet off the field sooner as AR will take it to him a lot.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• I like Bennett and what he has done on the field. Not a big fan of a lot of trades the Seahawks have done, and not sure this was a good one. If the value in trade wasn't there for Bennett, makes me curious why not just get another year out of him. Seems like they just wanted to part ways with him and were willing take whatever deal they could get.

Marcus Johnson. Not a whole lot of info on the guy but sure why not. Sweeten the deal a little I guess. Worse case scenario he is camp fodder, best case he joins the team with our other speedy receivers and gives us some depth.

Hell with it! Whatever Seahawks! Burn this sucker down and do what you got to do. Whatever happens, I am excited about next year with all the new pieces.
    Last edited by MrThortan on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

• RCATES wrote:
    JimmyG wrote:

I'm not sugarcoating anything. Anyone who thinks that we were getting anything of value for Bennett was delusional. Bennett didn't have a lot of value to begin with, and his value was hurt even more because of his off the field antics.

I think JS has had some terrible trades but this one I don't think fits that category. I am far from a JS apologist.
    JimmyG
    NET Rookie

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:I just wonder who the Eagles have on their roster to fill in for half the plays that Bennett should not be on the field for. If they play Green Bay, they will need a speed cart to get Bennet off the field sooner as AR will take it to him a lot.

Eagles have Fletcher Cox and Timmy Jernigan as well as Elijah Qualls (UW!) who will see more reps this year. I think Bennett is used as a 3rd downs situational guy.

Eagles will still have Brandon Graham/Derek Barnett/Chris Long on the EDGE.
    xkj1985x
    NET Rookie

• TwistedHusky wrote:True.

We still are waiting on that that annual bad FA signing for high dollars that happens every year for a player you would trade at the end of the year for a half eaten sandwich - just to get rid of him.

I am on pins and needles as to who our next Cary Williams, Lacey or Joekel is going to be. I have no idea who it is, but it is coming.

Meanwhile we lost a productive pass rusher that made our other guys productive because they had to concentrate on him.

No it isn't the worst. But it isn't good news.

Stay tuned. They are interested in Brian Cushing.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

• Certainly will help the Eagles compete for the next year or two, he played well through injuries. Definitely more of a 2019 cap help move since he wasn't doing much against 2018. Maybe this was a chip to help get Sheldon resigned for less this year but boost his income over the next couple seasons when MB's came into play?

Wonder if this means they're happy with Malik's recovery and hope Jordan can step up. Regardless, it's clear they're getting younger on D.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• xkj1985x wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:I just wonder who the Eagles have on their roster to fill in for half the plays that Bennett should not be on the field for. If they play Green Bay, they will need a speed cart to get Bennet off the field sooner as AR will take it to him a lot.

Eagles have Fletcher Cox and Timmy Jernigan as well as Elijah Qualls (UW!) who will see more reps this year. I think Bennett is used as a 3rd downs situational guy.

Eagles will still have Brandon Graham/Derek Barnett/Chris Long on the EDGE.

Thank you. Have a great day.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• The great Bill Walsh once said: "better to trade an aging star a season or two too early then a season or two too late." Pete and Bill were close.

No doubt Bennett may still have some game in him, but he will be on that downhill slope. We didn't get much, but we did get a draft pick and cap relief.

Good job Pete!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• xkj1985x wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:Hey, hey, meow...we almost always come out on top when trading with the Eagles. Watch that 5th rounde4 turn into a nice pass rusher as a rook and starter down the road.

I mean, the 5th round pick that the Eagles traded today for Bennett was traded from Seattle to Philly in the Matt Tobin deal so I think we can say who won that one (Tobin).

Eagles basically got Michael Bennett and a 7th for Matt Tobin and Marcus Johnson.

Cable was involved with that one and that's the only time Cable has been involved in a Hawks Eagles trade. Cable loooved Tobin...moron.

But yeah I forgot about that one.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• xStickybudz wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    xStickybudz wrote::irishdrinkers:

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm..... trading a aging asset that is battling injury is good GMing. I dunno if you watched Bennett last year but that man looks done

He had an off year with a foot injury and was still better than average. The foot injury casts doubt on forward performance but he hardly looked 'done' and i defy you to provide an analysis where he is anything but average at worst.

K? and John Schneider should be fired for trading a aging asset that is battling injury? Regardless if he was average or not you can’t keep everyone and as much as I loved Michael he is on the wrong side of 30 and eventually you need to cut ties to pay younger players

I wasn't standing up for the fire portion just the diminishment of Bennet's value. His salary and age and foot are enough reasons to justify his trade without revisionist history on his 2017 season.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• xStickybudz wrote::irishdrinkers:

Amen!!! This team is need of what made us great in the 1st place, young hungry talent w/ chips on their shoulders! We were not set up to make a SB run next year anyhow. So get our new guys in asap so they can learn our system, and get adjusted to the NFL game.
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:Everyone wanted to be the Patriots. They forgot that the Patriots don't get first rounders for everyone they offload.

The Patriots only won two Super Bowls in the last 13 seasons with the greatest coach and QB of all time.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• JimmyG wrote:
    RCATES wrote:
    JimmyG wrote:

I'm not sugarcoating anything. Anyone who thinks that we were getting anything of value for Bennett was delusional. Bennett didn't have a lot of value to begin with, and his value was hurt even more because of his off the field antics.

I think JS has had some terrible trades but this one I don't think fits that category. I am far from a JS apologist.

I disagree. We have to pay MB 5 million of his 7 this year. Basically keeping him on the roster for just this year would have cost us a additional 2mil. 8.5sacks and the Pro Bowl when he played half the year with a bad toe. A injury many said would sideline most players. Hawks D-Line take a huge hit to save 2mil. Meanwhile Philly unloads a 5th and a practice squad WR for a 2mil dollar pro bowler. This front office has been downright terrible the last few years.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• Rams only got a 4th for Robert Quinn, a much younger and better player. So, getting a 5th for Bennett doesn't seem like a surprise at all.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• RCATES wrote:
    JimmyG wrote:
    RCATES wrote:
    JimmyG wrote:In fairness, veteran players almost never bring in good trade hauls. Bennett is still a good player, but he was 33 and had off the field concerns. Remember when Anquan Boldin and a ridiculous playoffs en route to a SB, and then was traded for a 6th round pick the ensuing a couple months later?

I disagree. We have to pay MB 5 million of his 7 this year. Basically keeping him on the roster for just this year would have cost us a additional 2mil. 8.5sacks and the Pro Bowl when he played half the year with a bad toe. A injury many said would sideline most players. Hawks D-Line take a huge hit to save 2mil. Meanwhile Philly unloads a 5th and a practice squad WR for a 2mil dollar pro bowler. This front office has been downright terrible the last few years.

I think you're misconstruing how the cap and the salary works. Yes, we still have to eat his signing bonus, but if we keep him, we pay his full salary and still (over time) eat the signing bonus, so this frees up future cap space as well as current.

I still think Bennett was worth keeping, but perhaps his foot is more of an issue than we know. One thing I do believe is we will have a good DL with our without him, so it was a position of strength and depth.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• So the Hawks got a 5th and 2mil in cap space, basically. How long to translate that into the lost production?
    lobohawk
    NET Veteran

• Clark about to get paid.
    Fire Tom Cable

Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Rams only got a 4th for Robert Quinn, a much younger and better player. So, getting a 5th for Bennett doesn't seem like a surprise at all.

I was just coming to post this exactly. This was pretty much right what they should have gotten back for Bennett with Quinn going for a 4th. I was actually expecting a 6th. Good trade overall on a guy they were ready to move on from as evident by Bennett's own words at the end of the year. He already knew he was gone, and so did other teams. Good value.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• Exactly why I'm not even sort of surprised he was traded. The guy pretty much already told us it was going to happen.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• The good news is Schneider got his 5th round pick back from the Matt Tobin trade!

The bad news is he had to give up a 7th round pick and Michael Bennett to get it back.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Meh, move on. That's so 1 hour ago :lol:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:The good news is Schneider got his 5th round pick back from the Matt Tobin trade!

The bad news is he had to give up a 7th round pick and Michael Bennett to get it back.

And a possible replacement for Paul Richardson in Marcus Johnson who is both bigger (6'1") and faster (4.37 40 time) than PRich...
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:The good news is Schneider got his 5th round pick back from the Matt Tobin trade!

And a possible replacement for Paul Richardson in Marcus Johnson who is both bigger (6'1") and faster (4.37 40 time) than PRich...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Marcus Johnson was a mediocre college player. But I want some of what you're smoking.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• You failed to mention probably healthier.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• I'll miss the production, but not the drama. If it means the difference between keeping Sheldon Richardson and not, then I am happy with this call. If we lose Richardson as well, :cussing:
    Last edited by flmmkrz on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

• All in all I don't really like this trade but at present I don't know the rest of the plan.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• kidhawk wrote:
    RCATES wrote:
    JimmyG wrote:
    RCATES wrote:

I think you're misconstruing how the cap and the salary works. Yes, we still have to eat his signing bonus, but if we keep him, we pay his full salary and still (over time) eat the signing bonus, so this frees up future cap space as well as current.

I still think Bennett was worth keeping, but perhaps his foot is more of an issue than we know. One thing I do believe is we will have a good DL with our without him, so it was a position of strength and depth.

I hope not, most trades have health clauses, and if that's the case it would be useless to propose a trade that will get killed when he doesn't pass the physical.
    “How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Starter

• Don't forget your dogs.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:The good news is Schneider got his 5th round pick back from the Matt Tobin trade!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Marcus Johnson was a mediocre college player. But I want some of what you're smoking.

HAHAHAHA

Because there's never been a player that had a better NFL career than College... Right?

There's many factors that could play into a players production at any given level. Fact is though that he's more athletic than the guy they need to replace. He certainly has a chance to stick. Plus it's not like PRich is some super star...
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• bbsplitter wrote:I hope not, most trades have health clauses, and if that's the case it would be useless to propose a trade that will get killed when he doesn't pass the physical.

He was able to play on it, so I don't think that it will be an issue, but it definitely (IMO) was a big reason for his lowered production last season and if he continues to have the pain, he may be able to play through it but wouldn't necessarily be the same player. Of course even at the lesser status, he still has very good production, so I wouldn't reject the trade on that basis if I were the Eagles.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Rams only got a 4th for Robert Quinn, a much younger and better player. So, getting a 5th for Bennett doesn't seem like a surprise at all.

Yeah, after that happened I can not agree with people who think we got bad value for Bennett.

My first thought when hearing they were looking to trade him was I wonder how much of this had to due with the offside issues, I would say it is mostly an age thing, but wouldn't be shocked to learn the flags are a part of this.
    Rflagg
    NET Veteran

• DJrmb wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAHAHAHA

Because there's never been a player that had a better NFL career than College... Right?

There's many factors that could play into a players production at any given level. Fact is though that he's more athletic than the guy they need to replace. He certainly has a chance to stick. Plus it's not like PRich is some super star...

Five catches in his career (on eight total targets with a lost fumble). Zero special teams tackles. Undrafted. Injured for a few games as a senior at Texas. Even when healthy, he could not even start in college for a Texas team that was thin at receiver. Injured again in training camp as an undrafted rookie. Had played in 10 total games.

If he "sticks," it's because we have nothing better behind Baldwin and Lockett.

This is the equivalent of the Seahawks attaching Cyril Grayson to a trade.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:And a possible replacement for Paul Richardson in Marcus Johnson who is both bigger (6'1") and faster (4.37 40 time) than PRich...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAHAHAHA

Five catches in his career (on eight total targets with a lost fumble). Zero special teams tackles. Undrafted. Injured for a few games as a senior at Texas. Even when healthy, he could not even start in college for a Texas team that was thin at receiver. Injured again in training camp as an undrafted rookie. Had played in 10 total games.

This is the equivalent of the Seahawks attaching Cyril Grayson to a trade.

Doug Baldwin was an UDFA. ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:And a possible replacement for Paul Richardson in Marcus Johnson who is both bigger (6'1") and faster (4.37 40 time) than PRich...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAHAHAHA

He "Stuck" in Philly on a team with one of the deeper WR corps in the league. They were going to have to spend a later round pick to bring in someone and now they don't have to. If they like his upside more than a flier in the 2018 NFL draft I trust their judgment.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• 5th and a bag of gear. Pretty soft market for MB. The market is what it is.
    gcolby
    NET Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information