A look at the cap with all the changes

original poster

Reaction score
Seattle has made some bold moves in the last couple days. Michael Bennett is gone, Richard Sherman is as good as gone, Earl Thomas may be traded, the list goes on. I don’t think the purge is over yet, either. Despite Richard Sherman leaving Seattle, I still expect Jeremy Lane to be cut as well as Cliff Avril probably retiring. But what does all this mean with the cap?

As we don’t know the status on Earl Thomas as yet, I am going to give two scenarios, the first with him still on the roster (although his cap hit is likely to be different as an extension will almost certainly occur if he’s not moved) and the second without Earl on the roster.

With Michael Bennett and Richard Sherman gone, also assuming Seattle doesn’t have Jeremy Lane and Cliff Avril on the roster, the 2018 salary cap will stand like this –

2018 - $38,172,600
2019 - $97,408,510
2020 - $150,663,042

Assuming the same roster moves as above, with the addition of Seattle trading Earl Thomas, it looks as follows –

2018 - $46,672,600
2019 - $97,408,510
2020 - $150,663,042

All of a sudden, the team can do just about anything they want in free agency. Although they could still technically before these moves, it would mean back loading contracts which is far from ‘best practice’. Now, they can either front load of evenly spread any extensions exactly how they like, giving them more flexibility.

How Seattle deals with this roster churn will be very interesting to watch. I believe the Michael Bennett replacement will come in the shape of Dion Jordan, who is all but guaranteed to be tendered at a cost of $1,907,000. He can play inside out and is primed to have a fantastic season, I could absolutely see him leading the team in sacks for 2018.

What happens with the left cornerback position is yet to be determined. Byron Maxwell may be a priority signing in free agency to cover the position, or perhaps Shead is bought back, or maybe they address the need via the draft. Although I think that is pretty unlikely given the pretty weak class at corner overall, especially as you go deeper into the draft.

What they will do if Earl is moved on is also up in the air. My gut says they’d rely on 2017 rookie Tedric Thompson which ties in with getting younger on defense. However, if they wanted Tedric to gain some more experience before being thrown in at a starting role, they may well pursue Bradley McDougald who held down the FS starting role when Earl missed a couple of games very well.

One thing is for sure, change has started and this roster is going to look vastly different in 2018. Pete Carroll and John Schneider have built a championship team from the ground up before, I see absolutely no reason why they can’t do it again.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
I'm probably far more excited than I should be about the salary cap.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yes, that's a lot of money available in 2019 but you have to take into account that there would only be 19 players under contract then potentially. So a good chunk of that available money will be used up just filling out the roster between now and 2019 free agency. Still some great cap space, but it's not like they have $90 million to spend on Free agents in 2019. Probably will look closer to the 2018 number when all is said and done.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
One other consideration is the Next Gen CBA should be hammered out by 2020...that I am sure will have a detrimental impact on the Cap. This is where optimism and pessimism meet head on.

Seymour

Reaction score
The cap space is good news, how we spend it I am less than confident on. Moves like Joeckel, Lacy, Walsh, Williams, Sowel, Webb.....ect leave me feeling indifferent.

Pete will either bury himself, or carve his name in marble over the next two years depending on how well he can pull this roster rebuild off.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I honestly don't think we're going to be big spenders in free agency this year, even with all this cap space opened up.

This is my prediction

- extend Earl
- extend Brown
- offer Sheldon a decent contract
- find good free agent guard

That's it, and why I see 2018 as a get picks back and clear cap to hit 2019 hard.

WAY too many holes in the roster to just go spend cap unwisely, which puts us back into the same situation we are now in 1-2 years...........overpaid over the hill free agents.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well they can roll over some if I remember correctly also, this may be the year of the Purge, we get the pieces on the field and then see what is glaring and needed. Then go after guys like Clemons again who are low pay guys on rosters that are used incorrectly or stuck behind guys. Wilson is going to eat us alive next year with his 30 mil a year contract. We have to get ahead of it now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":20o7om0y said:
Well they can roll over some if I remember correctly also, this may be the year of the Purge, we get the pieces on the field and then see what is glaring and needed. Then go after guys like Clemons again who are low pay guys on rosters that are used incorrectly or stuck behind guys. Wilson is going to eat us alive next year with his 30 mil a year contract. We have to get ahead of it now.

Russell will be extended to a more team friendly contract next year, so doubt that 30M ever hits.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2lja885p said:
I honestly don't think we're going to be big spenders in free agency this year, even with all this cap space opened up.

This is my prediction

- extend Earl
- extend Brown

That's it, and why I see 2018 as a get picks back and clear cap to hit 2019 hard.

WAY too many holes in the roster to just go spend cap unwisely, which puts us back into the same situation we are now in 1-2 years...........overpaid over the hill free agents.

Interesting on the free agent guard. Any ideas? Fluker maybe?

I’ve become so drilled into the team drafting one of Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez or Austin Corbett that I haven’t paid too much attention to the free agent guards becoming available.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":2xjqfku1 said:
Sgt. Largent":2xjqfku1 said:

This is my prediction

- extend Earl
- extend Brown

I’ve become so drilled into the team drafting one of Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez or Austin Corbett that I haven’t paid too much attention to the free agent guards becoming available.

We needed one last year, and didn't sign Lang, so we got stuck with Joeckel and his insane 8M salary.

Now we'll have the cap room to make sure we don't get outbid again, and lord knows we need a veteran guard to help stabilize the line.

Too many holes on the roster to use a high pick on a guard, so only makes sense to run at one in free agency.

Then you can go with Brown, (free agent guard), Britt, Pocic and have Fant and Ifedi compete for RT.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
original poster":n4vnwcd0 said:
Sgt. Largent":n4vnwcd0 said:

This is my prediction

- extend Earl
- extend Brown

Norwell from the Panthers is the prize. But he is going to cost over $10 million a year. Not sure that is the best use of our resources this season.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
chris98251":2lbp1lpr said:
Well they can roll over some if I remember correctly also.

You certainly can.

Teams can carry over as much as they wish as long as they spend 89% of their cap over a 4 year period. They could probably carry a huge amount given their spending over the last few years.

Also, IIRC there isn’t actually any consequence to not hitting that 89% amount over 4 years. I don’t know for sure, but I’m not convinced every team spends nearly 90% of their cap every 4 years.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
HawkFan72":22b8zu6i said:
original poster":22b8zu6i said:
Sgt. Largent":22b8zu6i said:

This is my prediction

- extend Earl
- extend Brown

Norwell from the Panthers is the prize. But he is going to cost over $10 million a year. Not sure that is the best use of our resources this season.

Yeah I’ve heard Norwell to the Giants is already a done deal, unfortunately.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
original poster":1pligsp6 said:
Seattle has made some bold moves in the last couple days. Michael Bennett is gone, Richard Sherman is as good as gone, Earl Thomas may be traded, the list goes on. I don’t think the purge is over yet, either. Despite Richard Sherman leaving Seattle, I still expect Jeremy Lane to be cut as well as Cliff Avril probably retiring. But what does all this mean with the cap?

As we don’t know the status on Earl Thomas as yet, I am going to give two scenarios, the first with him still on the roster (although his cap hit is likely to be different as an extension will almost certainly occur if he’s not moved) and the second without Earl on the roster.

With Michael Bennett and Richard Sherman gone, also assuming Seattle doesn’t have Jeremy Lane and Cliff Avril on the roster, the 2018 salary cap will stand like this –

2018 - $38,172,600
2019 - $97,408,510
2020 - $150,663,042

Assuming the same roster moves as above, with the addition of Seattle trading Earl Thomas, it looks as follows –

2018 - $46,672,600
2019 - $97,408,510
2020 - $150,663,042

All of a sudden, the team can do just about anything they want in free agency. Although they could still technically before these moves, it would mean back loading contracts which is far from ‘best practice’. Now, they can either front load of evenly spread any extensions exactly how they like, giving them more flexibility.

How Seattle deals with this roster churn will be very interesting to watch. I believe the Michael Bennett replacement will come in the shape of Dion Jordan, who is all but guaranteed to be tendered at a cost of $1,907,000. He can play inside out and is primed to have a fantastic season, I could absolutely see him leading the team in sacks for 2018.

What happens with the left cornerback position is yet to be determined. Byron Maxwell may be a priority signing in free agency to cover the position, or perhaps Shead is bought back, or maybe they address the need via the draft. Although I think that is pretty unlikely given the pretty weak class at corner overall, especially as you go deeper into the draft.

What they will do if Earl is moved on is also up in the air. My gut says they’d rely on 2017 rookie Tedric Thompson which ties in with getting younger on defense. However, if they wanted Tedric to gain some more experience before being thrown in at a starting role, they may well pursue Bradley McDougald who held down the FS starting role when Earl missed a couple of games very well.

One thing is for sure, change has started and this roster is going to look vastly different in 2018. Pete Carroll and John Schneider have built a championship team from the ground up before, I see absolutely no reason why they can’t do it again.

Thanks for that post OP. I do understand and share your forward looking optimism about the the cap and the numbers make it clear Jn'P are working in the direction of straightening out a presently messy cap situation. As ever I doubt the team is hugely active in FA even next year but they certainly will be able to play if they want. At present the cap to me can be worked as you have ptherwise observed, yet still is somewhat limiting.

I'm opptimistic that PN'J have a plan and now know they need to avoid the cap hell created by 3rd contracts except in rare situations.

kf3339

Reaction score
original poster":2vfrtch1 said:

2018 - $38,172,600
2019 - $97,408,510
2020 - $150,663,042

2018 - $46,672,600
2019 - $97,408,510
2020 - $150,663,042

Thanks for the update!

Will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks with any additional cuts, trades and potential FA signings.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
original poster":3cijl767 said:
HawkFan72":3cijl767 said:
original poster":3cijl767 said:
Sgt. Largent":3cijl767 said:

This is my prediction

- extend Earl
- extend Brown

I don't think the Hawks would offer up that much money to a Guard this year anyway. They have too many holes to fill. I think they are hoping to find a servicable Guard in the $6 million or less range.

pugs1

Reaction score
original poster":3hzhcwc8 said:
Sgt. Largent":3hzhcwc8 said:

This is my prediction

- extend Earl
- extend Brown

Saints OG Senio Kelemete: He is their top backup playing at OG and C but has also played T in a pinch and their OL has not skipped a beat with him in the lineup. BTW he is from Seattle so he may want to come home.

A-Dog

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3my4idpe said:
original poster":3my4idpe said:
HawkFan72":3my4idpe said:

I don't think the Hawks would offer up that much money to a Guard this year anyway. They have too many holes to fill. I think they are hoping to find a servicable Guard in the $6 million or less range.

If the Hawks are cutting Sherman they'd better have something good to spend that money on.

They can and should offer to make Norwell the highest paid guard in the league.

There is no such thing as a serviceable guard in the $6M or less range these days; see: Joeckel, Luke. Would much rather pay the premium for a proven pro-bowler who would only 30 in the last year of a 5-year deal. I don't buy that Norwell to NY is a "done deal." Aside from tampering ramifications of that rumor, money talks and if Seattle cuts Sherm then they can have a say in where Norwell goes.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
A-Dog":3gdiwxzv said:
HawkFan72":3gdiwxzv said:
original poster":3gdiwxzv said:
HawkFan72":3gdiwxzv said:

If the Hawks are cutting Sherman they'd better have something good to spend that money on.

They can and should offer to make Norwell the highest paid guard in the league.

There is no such thing as a serviceable guard in the $6M or less range these days; see: Joeckel, Luke. Would much rather pay the premium for a proven pro-bowler who would only 30 in the last year of a 5-year deal. I don't buy that Norwell to NY is a "done deal." Aside from tampering ramifications of that rumor, money talks and if Seattle cuts Sherm then they can have a say in where Norwell goes.

It happens all the time, it's nothing new. Norwell will get $13APY.