Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

What happens with ET3?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
What happens with ET3?
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:35 am
  • Does he get the long-term extension with perhaps buyers remorse two years from now? Does he get traded for picks? Released? What is his future here? Does he even wanna be here anymore?
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Re: What happens with ET3?
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:40 am
  • If you're going to gut the defense, then gut the defense. Get what picks you can and move forward at this point.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:01 am
  • Now this is a tough call for me personally, since ET is my favorite Hawk of all time. This is a business though, as all these overpaid guys have proven over the years, with no loyalty. So Unless he is willing to play for a realistic number, which I don't see happening with probably being his last long term contract. I'm fine trading him to the highest bidder, outside of our division. I hope for the min of 2nd & 4th.
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:14 am
  • Whenever these conversation of who to keep were kicked around, I always sided with keeping Sherman and letting Earl go. But now that Sherman is gone, screw it, let them all go. If you're going to dissolve the Legion, then dissolve it. Don't keep around any relics from an older era.

Cliff and Kam aren't coming back any younger or stronger either. Put the show to rest and let's move on.

Trade Earl (just dear God don't let him walk for nothing like you did with Sherman).
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:19 am
  • The scheme will have to completely change if they move Earl, no one available will be able to just step in and do remotely close to what he does. He’s still a superstar and showed no signs of slowing down.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:33 am
  • Earl is irreplaceable; I just don't see sense in extending him for what he will likely demand. It would just be more of the same which created this mess. Even with Earl the rest of the defense will not be able to overcome the years-long rebuild needed to make the offense competitive.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:24 am
  • Earl will get re-signed. Pete and co are thinking they are still competitive, they had to make some tough choices financially and it meant losing talent but Pete didn't stick around another year and make all these changes to throw in the towel and walk away with his tail between his legs in a year or 2. He thinks he can field a winner so he's going to need some talent to do that and Earl is the best secondary talent we have left. I think his new contract becomes a priority and he's signed asap. Whether that is the best direction for the team long term is a separate discussion, but as for what likely happens, this is what I see.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:38 am
  • Grahamhawker wrote:If you're going to gut the defense, then gut the defense. Get what picks you can and move forward at this point.

Ditto.

His junior high antics after the Dallas game kind of cemented that thought for me. While I don't blame him for wanting to go play where he grew up, his method of making that known was embarrassing.

Did everyone forget about the retirement talk after he broke his leg a couple of years ago? While Earl is a once in a generation talent, he is an emotional liability. With a better than decent shot of being a .500 team or worse, why wouldn't you just take what you can get for him on the open market and start improving the team now for the future?

If you are a 7-9 team on paper, and Earl gives you 1-2 wins by himself, is it worth it to keep him on the roster for elite money?
    Bevell's Bubble Busted
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:17 am
  • I doubt he even wants to be here and I cant really blame him at this point. A lot of time has been wasted with Bevell and Cable. Years. At this point, I would be surprised if he's resigned.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:41 am
  • The team saw what happened when they lost Sherman and ET over the past two seasons. When ET3 left the defense was below average ranked in the mid 20's. Without Sherman, the defense was almost a top ten D ranked 11th. That told the staff all they needed to know about who needed to stay and who could be let go.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:54 am
  • In my eyes you either extend him (preferred) or you gut this team and do a total rebuild outside of Russ.
    That includes trading Wagner and KJ who’s value will never be higher than it is right now. Lots of cap space and picks if you trade Bobby and KJ. ....but like I said extending Earl is my preferred route.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:42 pm
  • Trade. You'll probably be disappointed in his drop off without all the talent around him anyway. It's all questionable outside of Griffin right now. McDougald hasn't signed, Max, Shead....just depends on what they're REALLY doing.

I'd almost say the same for KJ. He's had problems in coverage for 2 years now. Picked on even as the weakest link. Still knows what he's doing at all times though, but he's paid too much.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:50 pm
  • He is still top-3 at his position even after a year in which we wasn't the best in the league
    He's in his prime
    He's one of the best players in franchise history
    His profile/position suggests he could be pretty damn great for another 5-7 years

Yes, he's emotional and does stupid shit sometimes. But, it's kind of worth it.

I don't know why you'd get rid of him. It'd be absolutely moronic, in my opinion, unless he demands it or has an injury situation.

This team still has a quarterback, the best linebacker in football, and ET3 will be tops-or-near it at his position.

And he's under contract for chrissakes.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:53 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:He is still top-3 at his position even after a year in which we wasn't the best in the league
    He's in his prime
    He's one of the best players in franchise history
    His profile/position suggests he could be pretty damn great for another 5-7 years

Yes, he's emotional and does stupid shit sometimes. But, it's kind of worth it.

I don't know why you'd get rid of him. It'd be absolutely moronic, in my opinion, unless he demands it or has an injury situation.

This team still has a quarterback, the best linebacker in football, and ET3 will be tops-or-near it at his position.

And he's under contract for chrissakes.

True he is under contract..but has been purported as saying that he will hold out for higher pay. Greed has hit him too because of the Kam deal last year. I guess they want want want and will learn they have to earn earn earn.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:58 pm
  • I don't know that it's greed. Well it is, but he watches Kam get hurt maybe indefinitely and now Sherm too, where he was just cut and that money is gone. That part I understand.

It was the teammate thing and then the Dallas thing I didn't like. It's like taking a girl out on a date and then you see her at the bar with plan B dude while you're still out on the date. Kind of a veteran sloot move.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:03 pm
  • Mmmhmm, don't ever date a girl that says she just has a friend.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:10 pm
  • If it's all about rebuilding with younger and hungrier, why not let Earl's value provide a significant boost for that plan?
    As has been stated ad nauseam, better too early than too late (see Kam, Sherman, and Bennett examples). Unless playoff runs are on the near horizon (?), why keep doing the same thing by renewing expensive vets?
    The alternative seems to be we extend Earl with the huge deal he may expect, still don't reach the playoffs because of multiple existing holes, then cut him or trade him for a 6th.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:36 pm
  • Grahamhawker wrote:If it's all about rebuilding with younger and hungrier, why not let Earl's value provide a significant boost for that plan?
    As has been stated ad nauseam, better too early than too late (see Kam, Sherman, and Bennett examples). Unless playoff runs are on the near horizon (?), why keep doing the same thing by renewing expensive vets?
    The alternative seems to be we extend Earl with the huge deal he may expect, still don't reach the playoffs because of multiple existing holes, then cut him or trade him for a 6th.

Sports Hernia wrote:In my eyes you either extend him (preferred) or you gut this team and do a total rebuild outside of Russ.
    That includes trading Wagner and KJ who’s value will never be higher than it is right now. Lots of cap space and picks if you trade Bobby and KJ. ....but like I said extending Earl is my preferred route.

If we cut Earl, this team will collapse completely since Pete's scheme will have too many holes to work at all.

Cutting everyone besides Russ makes even less sense. Who do you get to replace them?
    Players through the draft? would need a lot of picks for that and be still good at drafting
    FAs? Expensive and seldom worth it
    getting a ton of UDFAs and players other teams cut? You won't find enough diamonds in there to build a solid team.
    Besides that, what do you do with all the free money you have when you build a whole team out of new draft picks, UDFAs, and cheap players?
    "It's payback, Russell Wilson falling way back, in the draft, turn nothing into something"
    rossob
    NET Rookie

Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:34 pm
  • If we move on without Earl via trade we will change the scheme, we have depth on the roster in the secondary and on the D line, where we don't is at Linebacker, I could see a two tier situation, we create our cap space and try to salvage some picks this year, have more cap space next year and then draft our Linebacker depth or replacements.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:13 pm
  • massari
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:16 pm
  • If the only offers we are getting is anything less than a 2nd rounder, screw that keep him and let him play out his contract. We would nab a 3rd round comp pick if/when he walks, so there is no point in trading him for anything less.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:25 pm
  • His off-the-field statements have nothing to do with his on-the-field value. I'd still take a 30-year old Earl over half the free safeties in the league.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:32 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:His off-the-field statements have nothing to do with his on-the-field value. I'd still take a 30-year old Earl over half the free safeties in the league.

I know right? Look at how the defense collapsed 2016 when Earl was out vs how the defense held its own in 2017 with Kam, Sherm, and Cliff out. Earl is a must keep the whole defense is based on his unique abilities.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:16 pm
  • Wilson, Doug, Wagner, and ET are untouchables as far as I’m concerned.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:56 pm
  • Steve2222 wrote:Wilson, Doug, Wagner, and ET are untouchables as far as I’m concerned.

Indeed. That is the core of the team.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:07 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:
    Steve2222 wrote:Wilson, Doug, Wagner, and ET are untouchables as far as I’m concerned.

Provided they want to stay, I'm guessing ET is done here.
    In the old days the other O-linemen would have just taken Ifedi out back and beat the crap out of him.
    DomeHawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:13 pm
  • Traded for a 2nd and 3rd. Gut it. Wilson is the franchise at this point. We need to draft really well this year.
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:49 pm
  • It did raise my eyebrow when Bradley McDougald was resigned.

If I had to guess, I say they are struggling to agree on the guarantees of his contract. Earl will want strong guaranteed money and the team will want to protect themselves from Kam part two. I don't think either side will fold.

I also think we will be somewhat disappointed in the value we get for him. My best guess is a second and either a 4th or more likely, a 5th/6th.

I honestly believe McDougald can man the free safety spot at a well above average level.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:47 am
  • My wild guess is that he will be packaged with a pick or picks on draft day to go get someone Pete and John want bad. I'll be surprised if this doesn't include Shaqeem Griffen (sp). I'd take a flyer on those two brothers being the face of the next secondary.
    Sterlinghawk
    NET Rookie

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:25 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:
    Steve2222 wrote:Wilson, Doug, Wagner, and ET are untouchables as far as I’m concerned.

Provided they want to stay, I'm guessing ET is done here.

Unless some team makes an offer we can’t refuse (they won’t) just franchise him in 2019 and 2020 and let him walk in 2021.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:27 am
  • Out of interest, would anyone jump on the following?

#18 + Earl to Browns for #4?

I'd personally jump all over it, then trade back aggressively.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:35 am
  • original poster wrote:Out of interest, would anyone jump on the following?

I like Earl, but wouldn't even hesitate. That trade would garner multiple high end selections this year and next. Possibly even another first rounder two drafts from now.

That is the kind of trade that can set a team up for a decade. That kind of trade made the Rams defensive line and is likely why it would never happen. The Browns would be getting fleeced.
    Last edited by TransGenderHawkFan on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:42 am
  • TransGenderHawkFan wrote:
    original poster wrote:Out of interest, would anyone jump on the following?

I like Earl, but wouldn't even hesitate. That trade would garner multiple high end selections this year and next. Possibly even another first rounder two drafts from now.

That is the kind of trade that can set a them up for a decade. That kind of trade made the Rams defensive line and is likely why it would never happen. The Browns would be getting fleeced.

Agreed.

Incredibly unlikely, though. Doesn't seem like a fair trade at all for the Browns.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:45 am
  • original poster wrote:
    TransGenderHawkFan wrote:

That is the kind of trade that can set a them up for a decade. That kind of trade made the Rams defensive line and is likely why it would never happen. The Browns would be getting fleeced.

Agreed.

Incredibly unlikely, though. Doesn't seem like a fair trade at all for the Browns.

I'd even give a 4th and 5th

To CLE:
    ET
    4th
    5th

To SEA:
    massari
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:48 am
  • ^That would sit Earls Trade value at around a 20th to 24th first round pick.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:35 am
  • If Cleveland went for that I would do it as well. Any team in the 20+ range we have a chance to meet in the playoffs. We will likely play Cleveland once before Earl retires and that is only because each NFC team plays a different division in the AFC every year.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Rookie

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:37 am
  • If I was the GM Earl would need to convince me that he truly wants to be here before I’d invest any further.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:43 am

If that were to happen then trade the 4th to the Bills for the 12th pick and their 3rd this year plus their #1 next year.

So essentially we’d be trading:

Give

Earl
    #18th Overall

Get

#12th Overall
    2018 Bills 3rd Round
    2019 Bills 1st Round (which could easily be a Top 10 pick)
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:01 am

Why would Cleveland do that for a one year rental?
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:05 am
  • TransGenderHawkFan wrote:If Cleveland went for that I would do it as well. Any team in the 20+ range we have a chance to meet in the playoffs. We will likely play Cleveland once before Earl retires and that is only because each NFC team plays a different division in the AFC every year.

Seahawks are due to play Cleveland next year as it happens.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:06 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:

Well there’s always the franchise tag to fall back on if they couldn’t get a deal in place.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:06 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:

Any trade for Earl would likely already have a contract extension in place (or at least imminent).

It's probably highly unlikely, though.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:21 pm
  • flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:24 pm
  • flmmkrz wrote:

Just 1 first rounder? They may do that.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:46 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    flmmkrz wrote:

Just 1 first rounder? They may do that.

yeah I think the hang up is the extension and how much they'd be on the hook for, they'd bite on the offer itself.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:30 pm
  • Could just mean some unrelated moves...
    Last edited by massari on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:35 pm
  • Notice Sea proposed means they aren't just "listening", they are doing the initiating. Earl is gone IMO.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:41 pm
  • Seymour wrote:Notice Sea proposed means they aren't just "listening", they are doing the initiating. Earl is gone IMO.

He’s not staying with Sherm and Kam being done. He’s gone.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:54 pm
  • If we want to bury the past, give Russ the keys to the offensive castle and blow up the defense.
    Total change of philosophy.

I'm 100% against letting go of a defensive cornerstone like Earl but, if he is mentally checked out, let him go but make the cowboys pay a premium.
    GET YOUR EAR PLUGS READY!!!
    TheHawkster
    * NET Bad Ass *

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:58 pm
  • I'm probably gonna cry.
    misfit
    NET Starter

Next

It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:44 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]