What happens with ET3?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Does he get the long-term extension with perhaps buyers remorse two years from now? Does he get traded for picks? Released? What is his future here? Does he even wanna be here anymore?

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
If you're going to gut the defense, then gut the defense. Get what picks you can and move forward at this point.

12forlife

Reaction score
Now this is a tough call for me personally, since ET is my favorite Hawk of all time. This is a business though, as all these overpaid guys have proven over the years, with no loyalty. So Unless he is willing to play for a realistic number, which I don't see happening with probably being his last long term contract. I'm fine trading him to the highest bidder, outside of our division. I hope for the min of 2nd & 4th.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Whenever these conversation of who to keep were kicked around, I always sided with keeping Sherman and letting Earl go. But now that Sherman is gone, screw it, let them all go. If you're going to dissolve the Legion, then dissolve it. Don't keep around any relics from an older era.

Cliff and Kam aren't coming back any younger or stronger either. Put the show to rest and let's move on.

Trade Earl (just dear God don't let him walk for nothing like you did with Sherman).

mistaowen

Reaction score
The scheme will have to completely change if they move Earl, no one available will be able to just step in and do remotely close to what he does. He’s still a superstar and showed no signs of slowing down.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Earl is irreplaceable; I just don't see sense in extending him for what he will likely demand. It would just be more of the same which created this mess. Even with Earl the rest of the defense will not be able to overcome the years-long rebuild needed to make the offense competitive.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Earl will get re-signed. Pete and co are thinking they are still competitive, they had to make some tough choices financially and it meant losing talent but Pete didn't stick around another year and make all these changes to throw in the towel and walk away with his tail between his legs in a year or 2. He thinks he can field a winner so he's going to need some talent to do that and Earl is the best secondary talent we have left. I think his new contract becomes a priority and he's signed asap. Whether that is the best direction for the team long term is a separate discussion, but as for what likely happens, this is what I see.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":xubjmwmk said:
If you're going to gut the defense, then gut the defense. Get what picks you can and move forward at this point.

Ditto.

His junior high antics after the Dallas game kind of cemented that thought for me. While I don't blame him for wanting to go play where he grew up, his method of making that known was embarrassing.

Did everyone forget about the retirement talk after he broke his leg a couple of years ago? While Earl is a once in a generation talent, he is an emotional liability. With a better than decent shot of being a .500 team or worse, why wouldn't you just take what you can get for him on the open market and start improving the team now for the future?

If you are a 7-9 team on paper, and Earl gives you 1-2 wins by himself, is it worth it to keep him on the roster for elite money?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I doubt he even wants to be here and I cant really blame him at this point. A lot of time has been wasted with Bevell and Cable. Years. At this point, I would be surprised if he's resigned.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The team saw what happened when they lost Sherman and ET over the past two seasons. When ET3 left the defense was below average ranked in the mid 20's. Without Sherman, the defense was almost a top ten D ranked 11th. That told the staff all they needed to know about who needed to stay and who could be let go.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
In my eyes you either extend him (preferred) or you gut this team and do a total rebuild outside of Russ.
That includes trading Wagner and KJ who’s value will never be higher than it is right now. Lots of cap space and picks if you trade Bobby and KJ. ....but like I said extending Earl is my preferred route.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Trade. You'll probably be disappointed in his drop off without all the talent around him anyway. It's all questionable outside of Griffin right now. McDougald hasn't signed, Max, Shead....just depends on what they're REALLY doing.

I'd almost say the same for KJ. He's had problems in coverage for 2 years now. Picked on even as the weakest link. Still knows what he's doing at all times though, but he's paid too much.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He is still top-3 at his position even after a year in which we wasn't the best in the league
He's in his prime
He's one of the best players in franchise history
His profile/position suggests he could be pretty damn great for another 5-7 years

Yes, he's emotional and does stupid shit sometimes. But, it's kind of worth it.

I don't know why you'd get rid of him. It'd be absolutely moronic, in my opinion, unless he demands it or has an injury situation.

This team still has a quarterback, the best linebacker in football, and ET3 will be tops-or-near it at his position.

And he's under contract for chrissakes.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
nanomoz":2ljujg0l said:
He is still top-3 at his position even after a year in which we wasn't the best in the league
He's in his prime
He's one of the best players in franchise history
His profile/position suggests he could be pretty damn great for another 5-7 years

Yes, he's emotional and does stupid shit sometimes. But, it's kind of worth it.

I don't know why you'd get rid of him. It'd be absolutely moronic, in my opinion, unless he demands it or has an injury situation.

This team still has a quarterback, the best linebacker in football, and ET3 will be tops-or-near it at his position.

And he's under contract for chrissakes.

True he is under contract..but has been purported as saying that he will hold out for higher pay. Greed has hit him too because of the Kam deal last year. I guess they want want want and will learn they have to earn earn earn.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I don't know that it's greed. Well it is, but he watches Kam get hurt maybe indefinitely and now Sherm too, where he was just cut and that money is gone. That part I understand.

It was the teammate thing and then the Dallas thing I didn't like. It's like taking a girl out on a date and then you see her at the bar with plan B dude while you're still out on the date. Kind of a veteran sloot move.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
If it's all about rebuilding with younger and hungrier, why not let Earl's value provide a significant boost for that plan?
As has been stated ad nauseam, better too early than too late (see Kam, Sherman, and Bennett examples). Unless playoff runs are on the near horizon (?), why keep doing the same thing by renewing expensive vets?
The alternative seems to be we extend Earl with the huge deal he may expect, still don't reach the playoffs because of multiple existing holes, then cut him or trade him for a 6th.

rossob

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":21b4oc9i said:
If it's all about rebuilding with younger and hungrier, why not let Earl's value provide a significant boost for that plan?
As has been stated ad nauseam, better too early than too late (see Kam, Sherman, and Bennett examples). Unless playoff runs are on the near horizon (?), why keep doing the same thing by renewing expensive vets?
The alternative seems to be we extend Earl with the huge deal he may expect, still don't reach the playoffs because of multiple existing holes, then cut him or trade him for a 6th.

Sports Hernia":21b4oc9i said:
In my eyes you either extend him (preferred) or you gut this team and do a total rebuild outside of Russ.
That includes trading Wagner and KJ who’s value will never be higher than it is right now. Lots of cap space and picks if you trade Bobby and KJ. ....but like I said extending Earl is my preferred route.

If we cut Earl, this team will collapse completely since Pete's scheme will have too many holes to work at all.

Cutting everyone besides Russ makes even less sense. Who do you get to replace them?
Players through the draft? would need a lot of picks for that and be still good at drafting
FAs? Expensive and seldom worth it
getting a ton of UDFAs and players other teams cut? You won't find enough diamonds in there to build a solid team.
Besides that, what do you do with all the free money you have when you build a whole team out of new draft picks, UDFAs, and cheap players?

chris98251

Reaction score
If we move on without Earl via trade we will change the scheme, we have depth on the roster in the secondary and on the D line, where we don't is at Linebacker, I could see a two tier situation, we create our cap space and try to salvage some picks this year, have more cap space next year and then draft our Linebacker depth or replacements.

massari

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/973299691680161797[/tweet]