What is/was holding this team back the most?

What is/was holding this team back the most?

• Aging Defense

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Lack of Cap Space/Draft Picks

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Offensive Line

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • Xs and Os Coaching/Playcalling

Votes: 31 37.8%
  • Lack of Overall Talent

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Russell Wilson's Contract :P

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters

adeltaY

Reaction score
Following the big changes that have just happened and the more that are likely to come, I wonder what everyone thinks held this team back from winning multiple SBs and what is holding it back now? I'm stuck between the offensive line and the offensive playcalling, but went with the offensive line. All the options seem fair, curious what people think.

I apologize if this should be two separate questions, wasn't sure how to make that fit with the poll.

Seymour

Reaction score
Oline by a landslide. Even the year we won 48 we were dead last in pass pro. People wonder why Wilson is skiddish when the guy has been raised on epic fail level lines. :roll:

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Big picture- I'm going with FO personnel decisions- including drafting, FA acquisitions, trades, and extensions since 2013.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Seymour":13jn6egy said:
Oline by a landslide. Even the year we won 48 we were dead last in pass pro. People wonder why Wilson is skiddish when the guy has been raised on epic fail level lines. :roll:

So true. If we could get and develop talent on the OL like we do DB's and LB's we would probably have at least 4 SBs in the PC era.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I voted Xs and Os/coaching. You can coach around a bad oline. You can use quick reads, screens, your TE. Our offense, to be successful with our OC, had to have arguably the most punishing running back and the most elusive QB in the NFL.

When we lost Lynch, we were very inconsistent minus the unreal stretch between Baldwin and Wilson and a nice 8 game run by Rawls. Never did our offensive coaching staff game plan for upcoming opponents and exploit weaknesses. They were simply content with ramrodding the same plays over and over regardless whether they were successful or not.

Keeping our receiving TE in to block almost every play, running constant empty sets on third and short, throwing bombs on every other 3rd and less than 10, stifled any progress the offense could have made.

Russell Wilson did what he could with piss poor game plans and ran all over the place to try to make things happen and at times did a masterful job. Sometimes those broken plays would turn into wins.

I honestly believe with almost any other OC and line coach combination, we would have had at least 2 superbowl wins and possibly 3 prior to our team being dismantled due to salary cap, injury, etc.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
The play...downward spiral since then. It will be subject of a 30 for 30 at some point. The play changed everything.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
I don't really like these options. What is holding the team back is what holds every team back, average to poor talent evaluation in the draft. I guess the talent option could be it but I don't think it completely is. Pete talks about making use of unique talents but I'm not sure he adjusts the scheme for the weakness of what they have on the field. Just like you need to maximize opportunities, you need to minimize the risks to make sure you are successful. The picks they have used have not really panned out or they failed to make use of them so I put this on the front office for the most part.

I knew the rebuilding was going to happen this year when we gave away so much for Richardson and Brown. That was a last gasp to make a run and it was derailed by injuries. It happens, just sucks that so much had to change as a result.

I would state that the draft talent evaluation is the biggest thing holding the team back.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":2j1ke1jq said:
I voted Xs and Os/coaching. You can coach around a bad oline. You can use quick reads, screens, your TE. Our offense, to be successful with our OC, had to have arguably the most punishing running back and the most elusive QB in the NFL.

When we lost Lynch, we were very inconsistent minus the unreal stretch between Baldwin and Wilson and a nice 8 game run by Rawls. Never did our offensive coaching staff game plan for upcoming opponents and exploit weaknesses. They were simply content with ramrodding the same plays over and over regardless whether they were successful or not.

Keeping our receiving TE in to block almost every play, running constant empty sets on third and short, throwing bombs on every other 3rd and less than 10, stifled any progress the offense could have made.

Russell Wilson did what he could with piss poor game plans and ran all over the place to try to make things happen and at times did a masterful job. Sometimes those broken plays would turn into wins.

I honestly believe with almost any other OC and line coach combination, we would have had at least 2 superbowl wins and possibly 3 prior to our team being dismantled due to salary cap, injury, etc.

Very good points.

chris98251

Reaction score
We stopped evolving and being creative, the NFL is a copy cat league as you all know, they adapted to us and we stayed constant, Pete's stubbornness about the offense and not holding Cable and Bevell accountable lost the teams belief in accountability and his message, at least those there that day.

Then we started getting cute with our picks and signings rather then drafting proven commodities.

To get his system back on track he has to jettison the players that doubt him now and cost a lot.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Superbowl 49. The team never got over it and did not trust the coaching staff after the play call.

peppersjap

Reaction score
sdog1981":24c89frx said:
Superbowl 49. The team never got over it and did not trust the coaching staff after the play call.
If that is the case the players are the problem!!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The head coach. Carroll expects players to conform to his tired philosophy instead of adapting to their strengths. There is the loyalty to a fault issue also that caused us to keep horrible coordinators way past the point in which they should have been released. One of them should have been gone immediately after the play to set an example. And then of course there's the total lack of discipline. You cannot have a healthy organization when the inmates run the asylum.

NJlargent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2zrqv7pd said:
The head coach. Carroll expects players to conform to his tired philosophy instead of adapting to their strengths. There is the loyalty to a fault issue also that caused us to keep horrible coordinators way past the point in which they should have been released. One of them should have been gone immediately after the play to set an example. And then of course there's the total lack of discipline. You cannot have a healthy organization when the inmates run the asylum.

In also vote for Carroll. He is the most overrated coach (we won despite him). I also think the “cutesy” mentality of the FO dismantled this potential dynasty.

pugs1

Reaction score
The obvious answer is the OL but injuries to the running backs and D played a massive role in the Seahawks downfall.

With that said I’m not sold on all the doom and gloom.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Health, OL, Blair Walsh, way too many stupid penalties like offsides and personal fouls, Off field distractions like protesting (whether you agreed with it or not, yes they were still distractions) and a few players on the team no longer with us who couldn’t let SB 49 go.

Reasons why the Seahawks miraculously won 9 games last year: Russell Wilson

hawkman

Reaction score
sdog1981":2rcw9ava said:

Or the team never trusted Wilson after that? The coaches didn’t throw the horrible pass.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
hawkman":z9mllzt0 said:
sdog1981":z9mllzt0 said:

Or the team never trusted Wilson after that? The coaches didn’t throw the horrible pass.

So dumb. :34853_doh:

Steve2222

Reaction score
hawkman":1zkf5hee said:
sdog1981":1zkf5hee said:

Ughhhh