Duane Brown on recent moves - Ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RichEisenShow/status/973301353555480576[/tweet]

A telling statement from Brown. Be a part of the team or move on.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Good, glad someone's saying it out loud.

Some of these guys think that as long as they ball out on the field, they can be distractions off the field, and even on the field because they're just keepin' it real...........and make no mistake Pete's to blame for it.

It's his "everyone can be themselves" culture that he's fostered with this group of players. Well that's fine when you're winning SB's. But when you're scratching and clawing for your playoff lives, it matters.

It's VERY obvious with who's gone that Pete learned his lesson, and Brown's comment only reinforces that Pete's not messing around anymore. Buy in, or you're gone.

Decimation

Reaction score
Buy in to the rebuild or GTHO. This team needed a shake up after the failure of Super Bowl 49.

The moves this front office is making is much needed in order to get back to the top.

Seymour

Reaction score
Great interview of Brown. Seems like a good dude with his head on straight. I think he is wrong about Bennett though. They saved a whopping $2M to trade Bennett. They can never replace him for even 4x that price, so clearly they had other reasons there.

cesame

Reaction score
How is this "ouch"?

In the video he clearly says Pete and crew backed the players 100% and that the reason Sherman and Bennett are no longer on the team is because financial reasons.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I don't even think the need for a rebuild is due to SB49. It's more of the fact that the team is aging and the game has changed. The best defenses in league history have had 4-5 year life spans. Exactly what happened with the LoB. It's simply time to move on.

5280Hawk

Reaction score
That is not how he stated that at all. Listen to Duane in the first 30 seconds of the interview he says the opposite of what you guys are saying. He believes that they moved Sherman and Bennett for financial reasons. thats it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
5280Hawk":3ep5fgpl said:
That is not how he stated that at all. Listen to Duane in the first 30 seconds of the interview he says the opposite of what you guys are saying. He believes that they moved Sherman and Bennett for financial reasons. thats it.

I think it means both, and yes I watched the whole thing.

Bigger than themselves = support players like Bennett and Baldwin that are trying to be activists.

Bigger than themselves = also support the team first mentality, thus Brown saying Bennett and Sherman were traded and let go MOSTLY because of their contract situation.

Of course it's about the money first, but no one can tell me Pete and John didn't factor in distractions. It's not a coincidence that the two players gone were the two biggest off field and critical of his coaches (Sherman).

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Interesting reading the comments here. I got a completely different impression listening to that interview. It seems like he was saying that they were not shipped off for anything but financial reasons. Perhaps people interpret commentary in a manner that fits their narrative – myself included.

Crizilla

Reaction score
"They want guys who stand for something bigger than themselves" AKA "guys that don't wanna take up all the cap space".

So obviously financial reasons played a role. That's his whole point.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
cesame":3v31j2ne said:
How is this "ouch"?

In the video he clearly says Pete and crew backed the players 100% and that the reason Sherman and Bennett are no longer on the team is because financial reasons.
Financial yes, but serious injury and injury patterns are the main reason.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":2q087a2o said:
Interesting reading the comments here. I got a completely different impression listening to that interview. It seems like he was saying that they were not shipped off for anything but financial reasons. Perhaps people interpret commentary in a manner that fits their narrative – myself included.

There's two things going on here, what Pete says to his players and to the press about being supportive of their player's personalities, and activism............and then there's what goes on behind closed doors when it comes to injecting this team with youth, enthusiasm and a roster full of players who want to be here, and not be a distraction.

I do think Pete's supportive of his players, but I also think he knows there was some distractions that hurt his teams focus.

No one will be able to tell me when Pete, John and Paul Allen met after the season, that there wasn't a concerted effort to circle the wagons on the distraction factor, and that contributed to both Bennett and Sherman leaving.

There wasn't a HUGE financial cap relief for trading Bennett, he actually had a pretty decent team friendly contract for another year or two. Can't tell me the distraction factor didn't come into play.

taz291819

Reaction score
Sherman was released primarily due to his injury, and we needed the cap space. Maybe a little bit was due to his mouth, but the Seahawks didn't release Kam (whom has never been a problem like that).

Bennett was traded for a whole different reason. We don't know if PC/JS made that call, maybe it came from above (Allen). What we do know is that Bennett flat out lied about what happened in Vegas, and continued lying even when hotel security video and body cams backed up the cops version of events.

Baldwin may be an activist, but he puts his money and time where his mouth is. He is actually trying to make a difference, something that the FO probably applauds.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ik41xdh said:
No one will be able to tell me when Pete, John and Paul Allen met after the season, that there wasn't a concerted effort to circle the wagons on the distraction factor, and that contributed to both Bennett and Sherman leaving.

That's fine if you want to speculate on that, but you didn't get it from the video at all. Only the first 1:36 of that video were even about the Seahawks locker room, and the "standing for something bigger than themselves" was in direct and unmistakable reference to activism, not self-focus. There's no wiggle room for the context there. The rest was about Brown's treatment in Houston and his feelings on the societal issues.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3sxsqim8 said:
Hawk Finn":3sxsqim8 said:

There's two things going on here, what Pete says to his players and to the press about being supportive of their player's personalities, and activism............and then there's what goes on behind closed doors when it comes to injecting this team with youth, enthusiasm and a roster full of players who want to be here, and not be a distraction.

I do think Pete's supportive of his players, but I also think he knows there was some distractions that hurt his teams focus.

There wasn't a HUGE financial cap relief for trading Bennett, he actually had a pretty decent team friendly contract for another year or two. Can't tell me the distraction factor didn't come into play.
Correct me if I’m wrong (and I may very well be) but weren’t most of Sherm’s “dust ups” (see with the radio moron, the former OC, and with his former DC) last offseason and during the 2016 season? Color me a big giant weirdo but I’d rather have a guy that cares too much and wants to win at all costs resulting in some “baggage” then someone that doesn’t care and is just cashing checks by just physically showing up (see Aaron Curry).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1s09gqrb said:
Sgt. Largent":1s09gqrb said:
Hawk Finn":1s09gqrb said:

Correct me if I’m wrong (and I may very well be) but weren’t most of Sherm’s “dust ups” (see with the radio moron, the former OC, and with his former DC) last offseason and during the 2016 season? Color me a big giant weirdo but I’d rather have a guy that cares too much and wants to win at all costs resulting in some “baggage” then someone that doesn’t care and is just cashing checks by just physically showing up (see Aaron Curry).

Don't you remember the big meeting during the 2017 off season when Sherman he bragged about having a private meeting with Pete so he could school Pete up on the direction he'd like the team to go?

Even that was a total embellishment. Pete was responding to Sherman's negativity about playcalling and how he wanted more input into the team's day to day operations and schemes.

So no, the negative distractions were there last year too.

I don't see that caring too much, you can care too much by doing what players like Russell and Doug do, by taking personal responsibility, staying positive and not throwing your teammates, coaches and local press under the bus every time things aren't going your or the team's way.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2t44z2tx said:
Sports Hernia":2t44z2tx said:
Sgt. Largent":2t44z2tx said:
Hawk Finn":2t44z2tx said:

Don't you remember the big meeting during the 2017 off season when Sherman he bragged about having a private meeting with Pete so he could school Pete up on the direction he'd like the team to go?

Even that was a total embellishment. Pete was responding to Sherman's negativity about playcalling and how he wanted more input into the team's day to day operations and schemes.

So no, the negative distractions were there last year too.

I don't see that caring too much, you can care too much by doing what players like Russell and Doug do, by taking personal responsibility, staying positive and not throwing your teammates, coaches and local press under the bus every time things aren't going your or the team's way.

What's that old saying? Loyal dogs are easier to put down?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1jlcacsa said:
Hawk Finn":1jlcacsa said:

Off sides...Whoops, oh shit they got another first down from it-- Off sides...Whoops, Damn it there's another freebie first down-- Off sides...Whoops, Off sides...Whoops, Off sides...Whoops.......Everything has to be factored into the decisions for structuring a multi-million dollar contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.