Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Comp Pick Situation

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Comp Pick Situation
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:02 pm
  • Anyone have a good handle on how comp picks are allocated? I know the exact formula is a secret, but usually they can be predicted to a degree.

Say we lose Graham, Richardson, and Richardson

and we sign McDougald, Maxwell, and ASJ

how would that work out for comp picks?
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Re: Comp Pick Situation
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:31 pm
  • A-Dog wrote:Anyone have a good handle on how comp picks are allocated? I know the exact formula is a secret, but usually they can be predicted to a degree.

Signing your own players back doesn't count at all against comp picks. It's only if you sign free agents. Players that were cut also do not effect compensatory picks.

So hypothetically in your scenario lets say Graham, Richardson, and Richardson all sign for about that 8-9m range. Lets also say that puts them all as 4th round compensatory picks. In your scenario where we signed McDougald, Maxwell, and ASJ only ASJ would count and his signing would cause Seattle to lose 1 of those 4th round comp picks.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:35 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:
    A-Dog wrote:Anyone have a good handle on how comp picks are allocated? I know the exact formula is a secret, but usually they can be predicted to a degree.

Signing your own players back doesn't count at all against comp picks. It's only if you sign free agents. Players that were cut also do not effect compensatory picks.

So hypothetically in your scenario lets say Graham, Richardson, and Richardson all sign for about that 8-9m range. Lets also say that puts them all as 4th round compensatory picks. In your scenario where we signed McDougald, Maxwell, and ASJ only ASJ would count and his signing would cause Seattle to lose 1 of those 4th round comp picks.

Are you sure that McDougald and Maxwell wouldn't count?

Those guys are UFAs who weren't guys that got released
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:42 pm
  • A-Dog wrote:
    DJrmb wrote:
    A-Dog wrote:Anyone have a good handle on how comp picks are allocated? I know the exact formula is a secret, but usually they can be predicted to a degree.

Are you sure that McDougald and Maxwell wouldn't count?

Those guys are UFAs who weren't guys that got released

Yes, I'm sure. You don't get penalized for signing your own players back.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:45 pm
  • With JG going to GB no way we outbid NO for ASJ. Plus reports now are that the Jets are pushing hard to keep him. You think our Offense was bad last year. Stay tuned
    RCATES
    NET Starter

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:02 pm
  • Do you have to sign a player to a 2 year deal for them to be comp eligible? Or can u sign a guy to a 1 year deal for say 10 mill then if they sign elsewhere the next season would you get a comp pick?

Also is it the total value or the annual that determines the rank of the comp pick?
    Kinger95
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:35 pm
  • Were not gonna get a good comp pick this year.

Deffinetly won't get a 3rd round comp pick but as for Paul Richardson it's probably a high 6th round pick right now.
    poly1274
    NET Rookie

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:45 pm
  • Let’s say we sign Suh and Nelson and lose Sheldon Richardson, Paul Richardson and Graham isn’t that likely we’d get 3 comp picks? Depending on the contracts likely 2 - 4th rounders and a 5th/6th
    Kinger95
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:13 pm
  • Kinger95 wrote:Let’s say we sign Suh and Nelson and lose Sheldon Richardson, Paul Richardson and Graham isn’t that likely we’d get 3 comp picks? Depending on the contracts likely 2 - 4th rounders and a 5th/6th

If Graham was making 10mill and Sheldon was making 9-10 mill, then I would say 5th 5th 6th.
    poly1274
    NET Rookie

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:32 pm
  • Kinger95 wrote:Do you have to sign a player to a 2 year deal for them to be comp eligible? Or can u sign a guy to a 1 year deal for say 10 mill then if they sign elsewhere the next season would you get a comp pick?

Also is it the total value or the annual that determines the rank of the comp pick?

No, one year contracts are eligible for comp picks.

It's based on a number of things, average salary per year, snap counts etc etc.

As things stand now, I'm expecting a 4th for Graham, a 5th for Paul Richardson and Sheldon obviously is wide open right now. If he doesn't resign I'd expect either a 4th or a 5th, though. I also believe teams can get a maximum of 4 comp picks in total.

Resigning players previously on your roster the year before also don't count towards comp picks. Nor do cut players, as another poster has previously stated.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:20 pm
  • OTC has us with two 4th rounders currently, and we could score a third 4th rounder if someone signs another one of our players.

Rams and Pats both currently with two 3rd rounders.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:24 pm
  • A-Dog wrote:OTC has us with two 4th rounders currently, and we could score a third 4th rounder if someone signs another one of our players.

Rams and Pats both currently with two 3rd rounders.

Good news! Would you provide the link? Thanks for the info.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:32 pm
  • Same link I posted above

but it's changed again with the Brown signing... down to one 4th round comp pick until some of our other FAs get signed
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:41 pm

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:35 pm
  • Feels weird that Rams have loaded up with some nice deals and are lookin at 4!!!! Comp picks

I get why just seems like they handled it really nicely his offseason
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:47 pm
  • So far these count towards and against comp picks -

In -

Jeron Brown
    Barkevious Mingo
    Ed Dickson

Out -

Jimmy Graham
    Paul Richardson
    Sheldon Richardson
    Matt Tobin

Seattle still has these free agents that would count -

Luke Joeckel
    Eddie Lacy
    Luke Willson
    Michael Wilhoite
    Blair Walsh
    Marcus Smith
    Oday Aboushi
    Terence Garvin
    Austin Davis
    Byron Maxwell
    Dewey McDonald
    Mike Davis
    Josh Forrest
    Paul Dawson
    Garrison Smith
    Thomas Rawls
    Tyrus Thompson
    Christian French
    Jordan Simone

Fair to assume we will end up with 3 comp picks as an absolute minimum, with 4 being very likely.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:17 am
  • I bet no more than 2
    Fire Tom Cable

Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:38 am
  • I agree that the comp picks are not looking great this year. Of that list of eligible free agents it seems to be mostly guys that nobody wants (Walsh, Lacy, Rawls, Joeckel) or guys Seattle will try to retain (Marcus Smith, Maxwell, Mike Davis). Not really seeing anybody who will obviously move on that will net another comp pick, except for Luke Willson.
    naholmes
    NET Starter

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:13 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:21 pm
  • ^ doesn’t negate the fact that everyone judging the Sheldon R. Trade from the perspective of a late 2nd for a late 3rd are now left to face that we gave up a 2nd round pick for Sheldon for one year....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:20 am
  • I think the seahawks have officially lost their minds. They have given up 3 4th round picks to basically pickup replacement depth. This is an example of how you don't build for the future. I am so disappointed in their moves this off season.
    edogg23
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:01 am
  • I doubt they care :lol:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:27 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:I doubt they care :lol:

Yeah when you traded away picks and are trying to rebuild why should you care about getting comp picks anyways? It's not like the patriots or Rams are getting any.
    edogg23
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:05 pm
  • edogg23 wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:I doubt they care :lol:

Yeah when you traded away picks and are trying to rebuild why should you care about getting comp picks anyways? It's not like the patriots or Rams are getting any.

Our 2nd rd pick wan't just simply traded away, we got our starting LT. That is a big deal! :lol:
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:29 pm
  • I'm saying they don't care if YOU are disappointed. It's March 28th, plenty of things will happen before training camp.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:11 pm
  • edogg23 wrote:I think the seahawks have officially lost their minds. They have given up 3 4th round picks to basically pickup replacement depth. This is an example of how you don't build for the future. I am so disappointed in their moves this off season.

I doubt they lost their minds. It tells me that the FO either does not consider the signings to be mere “replacement depth” or perhaps they just don’t place much value in those future picks in the 130s. I do understand the disappointment because the long term talent level would probably be higher if they committed to guys like Darboh and Vannett and took the comp picks. On the other hand, that is often what we see bad teams do and I don’t want the Seahawks to be a bad team with one of the best quarterbacks in the league.
    naholmes
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:05 pm
  • 4th rounders to guys that can contribute and have proven ability or 4th round draft picks we whiff on and have done historically.

I think that's the difference.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:23 pm
  • All of these guys can be cut by week 9 and not count against the formula. Lots of overreaction here.

Besides, if you have the choice of a proven vet who can come in and perform or a 4th round comp pick, you almost always take the proven guy. Always.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:49 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information