Comp Pick Situation

A-Dog

Reaction score
Anyone have a good handle on how comp picks are allocated? I know the exact formula is a secret, but usually they can be predicted to a degree.

Say we lose Graham, Richardson, and Richardson

and we sign McDougald, Maxwell, and ASJ

how would that work out for comp picks?

DJrmb

Reaction score
A-Dog":1c84jzy6 said:
Anyone have a good handle on how comp picks are allocated? I know the exact formula is a secret, but usually they can be predicted to a degree.

Signing your own players back doesn't count at all against comp picks. It's only if you sign free agents. Players that were cut also do not effect compensatory picks.

So hypothetically in your scenario lets say Graham, Richardson, and Richardson all sign for about that 8-9m range. Lets also say that puts them all as 4th round compensatory picks. In your scenario where we signed McDougald, Maxwell, and ASJ only ASJ would count and his signing would cause Seattle to lose 1 of those 4th round comp picks.

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
DJrmb":7o6g562b said:
A-Dog":7o6g562b said:

Signing your own players back doesn't count at all against comp picks. It's only if you sign free agents. Players that were cut also do not effect compensatory picks.

So hypothetically in your scenario lets say Graham, Richardson, and Richardson all sign for about that 8-9m range. Lets also say that puts them all as 4th round compensatory picks. In your scenario where we signed McDougald, Maxwell, and ASJ only ASJ would count and his signing would cause Seattle to lose 1 of those 4th round comp picks.

Are you sure that McDougald and Maxwell wouldn't count?

Those guys are UFAs who weren't guys that got released

DJrmb

Reaction score
A-Dog":3sz9ve3g said:
DJrmb":3sz9ve3g said:
A-Dog":3sz9ve3g said:

Are you sure that McDougald and Maxwell wouldn't count?

Those guys are UFAs who weren't guys that got released
Yes, I'm sure. You don't get penalized for signing your own players back.

RCATES

Reaction score
With JG going to GB no way we outbid NO for ASJ. Plus reports now are that the Jets are pushing hard to keep him. You think our Offense was bad last year. Stay tuned

Kinger95

Reaction score
Do you have to sign a player to a 2 year deal for them to be comp eligible? Or can u sign a guy to a 1 year deal for say 10 mill then if they sign elsewhere the next season would you get a comp pick?

Also is it the total value or the annual that determines the rank of the comp pick?

poly1274

Reaction score
Were not gonna get a good comp pick this year.

Deffinetly won't get a 3rd round comp pick but as for Paul Richardson it's probably a high 6th round pick right now.

Kinger95

Reaction score
Let’s say we sign Suh and Nelson and lose Sheldon Richardson, Paul Richardson and Graham isn’t that likely we’d get 3 comp picks? Depending on the contracts likely 2 - 4th rounders and a 5th/6th

poly1274

Reaction score
Kinger95":17k8lk1d said:
Let’s say we sign Suh and Nelson and lose Sheldon Richardson, Paul Richardson and Graham isn’t that likely we’d get 3 comp picks? Depending on the contracts likely 2 - 4th rounders and a 5th/6th

If Graham was making 10mill and Sheldon was making 9-10 mill, then I would say 5th 5th 6th.

original poster

Reaction score
Kinger95":2k3o11s7 said:
Do you have to sign a player to a 2 year deal for them to be comp eligible? Or can u sign a guy to a 1 year deal for say 10 mill then if they sign elsewhere the next season would you get a comp pick?

Also is it the total value or the annual that determines the rank of the comp pick?

No, one year contracts are eligible for comp picks.

It's based on a number of things, average salary per year, snap counts etc etc.

As things stand now, I'm expecting a 4th for Graham, a 5th for Paul Richardson and Sheldon obviously is wide open right now. If he doesn't resign I'd expect either a 4th or a 5th, though. I also believe teams can get a maximum of 4 comp picks in total.

Resigning players previously on your roster the year before also don't count towards comp picks. Nor do cut players, as another poster has previously stated.

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
OTC has us with two 4th rounders currently, and we could score a third 4th rounder if someone signs another one of our players.

Rams and Pats both currently with two 3rd rounders.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
A-Dog":1wolprh6 said:
OTC has us with two 4th rounders currently, and we could score a third 4th rounder if someone signs another one of our players.

Rams and Pats both currently with two 3rd rounders.

Good news! Would you provide the link? Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
Same link I posted above

but it's changed again with the Brown signing... down to one 4th round comp pick until some of our other FAs get signed

mikeak

Reaction score
Feels weird that Rams have loaded up with some nice deals and are lookin at 4!!!! Comp picks

I get why just seems like they handled it really nicely his offseason

original poster

Reaction score
So far these count towards and against comp picks -

In -

Jeron Brown
Barkevious Mingo
Ed Dickson

Out -

Jimmy Graham
Paul Richardson
Sheldon Richardson
Matt Tobin

Seattle still has these free agents that would count -

Luke Joeckel
Eddie Lacy
Luke Willson
Michael Wilhoite
Blair Walsh
Marcus Smith
Oday Aboushi
Terence Garvin
Austin Davis
Byron Maxwell
Dewey McDonald
Mike Davis
Josh Forrest
Paul Dawson
Garrison Smith
Thomas Rawls
Tyrus Thompson
Christian French
Jordan Simone

Fair to assume we will end up with 3 comp picks as an absolute minimum, with 4 being very likely.

naholmes

Reaction score
I agree that the comp picks are not looking great this year. Of that list of eligible free agents it seems to be mostly guys that nobody wants (Walsh, Lacy, Rawls, Joeckel) or guys Seattle will try to retain (Marcus Smith, Maxwell, Mike Davis). Not really seeing anybody who will obviously move on that will net another comp pick, except for Luke Willson.