Seahawks asking for a 1st from the Cowboys for Earl

HawkGA

Reaction score
https://nesn.com/2018/03/nfl-rumors-her ... mas-trade/

Doesn't seem like enough and at the same time more than the Cowboys might be willing to part with. I would hate to see Earl go and I think it would be bad for the team, but I admit I admire to an extent if the team tries to help get him to his desired destination.

I think doing players a solid goes a long way.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Pretty telling where the Seahawks think the cornerstone of this defense has lain all along.

Hell, if I'm Jerruh, I'd give up a first.

kidhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":f74pd4oy said:
Pretty telling where the Seahawks think the cornerstone of this defense has lain all along.

I'm glad he hasn't, because I have always seen Earl as the centerpiece of Pete's defense. Wagner has definitely stepped right in and has made himself just as valuable. We keep them and we can continue to have a good defense (although not as good as we've become accustomed to) while we bring in younger, less expensive players around them.

D

DomeHawk

MontanaHawk05":3u97j969 said:

Jerry is 75 and even though he seems to be in good health there are no guarantees. I'm guessing he stretches out and grabs for the ring.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2yt1lwbm said:

Cowboys don't have the money to make room for Earl even if they were willing to give up the draft pick. They had to just restructure Frederick today and use him like a credit card just to take care of their own guys.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Trading Earl means the defense has to change its scheme, no? His sideline to sideline speed and ability to read QB's is what prevents big plays and forces teams to win with check downs.

I would love to have a defensive spine of Suh, Wagner, Earl with other talented pieces on the sides.

warden

Reaction score
Having Earl run to the Dallas coaches and say come and get me, plus him threatening to hold out are some major concerns.

Kinger95

Reaction score
Earls awesome and you can’t deny how much he does for the team defensively but if he doesn’t wanna be here then he’s as good as gone and nobody knows better than Pete/Schneider if he’s committed or wanting out. I’d rather get a good return on him now than nothing a year from now

kidhawk

Reaction score
Kinger95":7fm5nyu2 said:
Earls awesome and you can’t deny how much he does for the team defensively but if he doesn’t wanna be here then he’s as good as gone and nobody knows better than Pete/Schneider if he’s committed or wanting out. I’d rather get a good return on him now than nothing a year from now

Earl never once said he doesn't want to be here. What he said is that he wants a new contract as has been the history here...we've extended players in the last year of their deals, so it's not like he's asking to set some new precedent like Kam did with his holdout. His words to the cowboys have been shown to be that if he doesn't re-sign here, that is where he would like to play. It makes sense as it's near his hometown. Your post makes it sound as if there's only two options...1) Trade Earl or 2) let him play out his contract and leave for no compensation. That's just insane to me. The third option (which goes unmentioned in your post) is to renegotiate his deal and extend him. This is what he wants, and what we should want with his age (still under 30) and his abilities. It just makes sense.

Str8OuttaSkittles

Reaction score
mike fisher the guy that tweeted this and other nonsense last night got shut down.. we never shopped him to dallas take what that guy says with a pinch of salt. dallas homer

SeaJax

Reaction score
Trading Earl and getting back to back picks in the first would alleviate the cap and give them the ability to address the o-line and add an elite RB in the draft. Also, ...... the cap space could free up room to bring back Richardson and bring in Suh. Thus, negating the need for having the greatest safety in the NFL for the last decade... possibly.

RCATES

Reaction score
kidhawk":2ks5vuph said:
MontanaHawk05":2ks5vuph said:

I'm glad he hasn't, because I have always seen Earl as the centerpiece of Pete's defense. Wagner has definitely stepped right in and has made himself just as valuable. We keep them and we can continue to have a good defense (although not as good as we've become accustomed to) while we bring in younger, less expensive players around them.

Not in today's pass happy league where WR's have by far the upper hand. You can barely touch receivers anymore without being called. Front 7 is where its at going forward imo. If you can't get to the QB you're doomed. Pretty much sums up the 2017 Seahawks.

Kinger95

Reaction score
kidhawk":2w42h5p9 said:
Kinger95":2w42h5p9 said:

Earl never once said he doesn't want to be here. What he said is that he wants a new contract as has been the history here...we've extended players in the last year of their deals, so it's not like he's asking to set some new precedent like Kam did with his holdout. His words to the cowboys have been shown to be that if he doesn't re-sign here, that is where he would like to play. It makes sense as it's near his hometown. Your post makes it sound as if there's only two options...1) Trade Earl or 2) let him play out his contract and leave for no compensation. That's just insane to me. The third option (which goes unmentioned in your post) is to renegotiate his deal and extend him. This is what he wants, and what we should want with his age (still under 30) and his abilities. It just makes sense.

100% agree. If u can extend him in a deal that works and makes sense for the hawks that’s your option #1, at what point do you trade him if you can’t come to an agreement. If he gets injured next season we’re essentially gonna see him walk for a comp pick likely.

AgentDib

Reaction score
This rumor originated from somebody at a Dallas sports radio station and is exactly the sort of plausible thing that can be pulled out of thin air to add content to a radio show. On the other hand, Ian Rapoport tweeted that this rumor was false and his sources are equally dubious as he has been completely wrong on just about everything Seahawks related lately, from us keeping our coaches to keeping Sherman. So who knows, but I'm in the "everything about this is made up" camp for now.

kidhawk

Reaction score
RCATES":3iulybjc said:
kidhawk":3iulybjc said:
MontanaHawk05":3iulybjc said:

Not in today's pass happy league where WR's have by far the upper hand. You can barely touch receivers anymore without being called. Front 7 is where its at going forward imo. If you can't get to the QB you're doomed. Pretty much sums up the 2017 Seahawks.

It's a combination factor. You need a back end that can cover long enough for the front line guys to get to the quarterback, and you need front line guys that can get to the quarterback faster than the back end guys lose their coverage. One without the other won't work. If the front guys don't get their in time, the best DB's will lose coverage eventually and if the DB's can't cover well, the QB will make quick passes all day long and you'll never get to them.

toffee

Reaction score
Cleveland really really need a safety, they have picks and cap? May be Earl to Browns will give us the best return.

Kinger95

Reaction score
toffee":2ppi7ksa said:
Cleveland really really need a safety, they have picks and cap? May be Earl to Browns will give us the best return.

If you can get them to overpay, they’ve got tons of picks and want to win this season. If you could get one of pick 33/35 and pick 64 even if you threw in a 5th that’d be good for us to restock and we currently have no picks in the 2nd or 3rd round so you figure we’re gonna be looking for some

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not that it was a huge deal or anything, but after what he did in Dallas, it would be perfect to trade him to Cleveland for a nice return. I mean, $ seems to be the top motivation for him right now, and that's fine. Nothing new in the NFL.
But if Cleveland offered more, heck yes.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Kinger95":3ku6ptax said:

IF the Seahawks are dangling Earl Thomas for a 1st round pick from the Boycows, Thomas gets to find out IF they value him enough to give up a first for him, (this is where the rubber meets the road) because if the answer is NO, then he'd likely have to take that into consideration when structuring up a contract extension with the Seahawks.
Seahawks are showing ET max respect by offering him a shot at playing for his boyhood Dream Team, now he needs to show some respect to Pete & John in return if the Cowboys turn him down.

Latest posts