Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks asking for a 1st from the Cowboys for Earl

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • kf3339 wrote:
    Silver Hawk wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:This needs to hurry up and get done now. The longer they wait, the more teams are going to fill and feel better about positions and their defenses overall, driving the price down.

JS really is screwing this one up right now. Get it done already. You can't wait until training camp when he's holding out and teams are already holding competition. If he's banking on injury then he's an idiot. If he's trying to get Earl 13M or more then he's an idiot too. Stop crying and cut it out. Get some whiskey and a stick to bite on or whatever, just get it done.

Edit: No sane GM gives up a 1st and 3rd for Thomas. A 1st should get it done. A 1st and a player is a great deal for the Hawks.

Should have got it done before the market realized Seattle was going to dump most of the roster. Now, everyone knows there is no reason for Seattle to keep ET. Just wait it out and the Seahawks will take less and less, as every day goes by. Kind of a horse race between fear and greed for teams who are interested, as well as for Seattle.

There are still several weeks left to get a good deal done. Teams are now looking at either a trade or taking a shot in the draft. There are no Sure Things in the draft. Remember Curry?

ET is a sure thing. Unless of course you're right and we wait too long, but for me that is by the end of the draft. Then he waited too long.

Sure, there could still be a good deal. I just think that the odds of gettting a great deal have declined - since the world now sees “blood in the water” in Seattle. It wasn’t that way 6 weeks ago.
    Silver Hawk
    NET Rookie

• Define “wait too long”. June 1st? Tuesday? Week 8 after a contender’s starter blows his ACL?

I don’t see the urgency. We don’t have to do anything if the value’s not there.
    Own The West
    NET Rookie

• We'll get a bowl of Ds for Earl when he's holding out.

And the more teams fill holes, the better they'll feel about their rosters. It's pretty simple.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• lukerguy wrote:He's got 1-2 great season left, 1-2 good seasons left after that.. minimum 2 maximum 4 and at an expensive price.

If you can possibly get what the reports are saying you take it and run with it. 1st and 3rd?! That's one top end starter and another likely starter for minimum 5 years..

Pete's thing is his secondary... Do you think it's just a coincidence that mostly everyone who comes in to play in the secondary plays well? Earl is the exception to this with great instincts and passion, but he's one more injury away from being worthless, and as you know this risk increases with age.

Hawks could have gotten a 1st or 2nd for Sherm last year, and decided to hang on. I don't think they'll make the same decision.

There's no mystery about cover 3. It's extremely old and it's the most conservative defense there is outside of cover 4 and prevent.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• I don’t see us getting a 1st for ET. He’s a great player, but I have trouble believing that any team would give up that much.

This is likely just a bit of panic mode on JS side in trying to recoup some of the poor choices that he made which lost us all our draft picks in the first place.
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Rookie

• There's no way I would give up a 1st, if I'm another team, and probably not even a 2nd unless I had an extra pick in that round. He's not necessary to run any kind of defense and you can't put him up in the box to make more plays if you wanted to and you can't put him up in the box if he starts to slow down. He's not remotely sturdy enough. Teams have their own problems and they don't look at Earl on their knees like our fans do.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• AF_BASS_MAN wrote:I don’t see us getting a 1st for ET. He’s a great player, but I have trouble believing that any team would give up that much

Schneids would. He'll even throw in a Pro Bowl O-Lineman or a 3rd+7th round pick.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• massari wrote:
    AF_BASS_MAN wrote:I don’t see us getting a 1st for ET. He’s a great player, but I have trouble believing that any team would give up that much

Schneids would. He'll even throw in a Pro Bowl O-Lineman or a 3rd round pick.

Entirely different situation where they lost player after player after player. He got desperate. If JS is thinking of using the desperation of another team then first they have to have the oh shit need. Then on top of that, Earl will be holding out at that point. It won't work that way.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:
    massari wrote:
    AF_BASS_MAN wrote:I don’t see us getting a 1st for ET. He’s a great player, but I have trouble believing that any team would give up that much

Entirely different situation where they lost player after player after player. He got desperate. If JS is thinking of using the desperation of another team then first they have to have the oh shit need. Then on top of that, Earl will be holding out at that point. It won't work that way.

Graham = Unger+1st

Harvin = 1st+3rd+7th+$12M per year... Gave all that up for Harvin when they could've had Tate for $6M per+ all those draft picks.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• massari wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    massari wrote:

Graham = Unger+1st

Harvin = 1st+3rd+7th+$12M per year... Gave all that up for Harvin when they could've had Tate for $6M per+ all those draft picks.

Exactly my point. The only GM out there who would make this trade is JS himself.

I do believe that we will trade ET soon though.

However everyone on here is going to go insane when we only get a 7th rounder for him.
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Rookie

• If he is traded it will be during the draft
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• Ya most likely at the draft. A potential suitor might be seeing if Derwin James is available when they pick or if they can pick him up. If the browns trade 4 to the bills for 12 if they get Derwin at 12 then there’s no deal there but if Derwin James goes before 12 maybe they look to trade for Earl . Browns were just an example it could be any team really. Might even be for an early second but I doubt we trade him for anything less than a top 40 pick
    Kinger95
    NET Practice Squad

• Kinger95 wrote:Ya most likely at the draft. A potential suitor might be seeing if Derwin James is available when they pick or if they can pick him up. If the browns trade 4 to the bills for 12 if they get Derwin at 12 then there’s no deal there but if Derwin James goes before 12 maybe they look to trade for Earl . Browns were just an example it could be any team really. Might even be for an early second but I doubt we trade him for anything less than a top 40 pick

I know you just used the Browns as an example, but if the Browns did acquire ET, along with all the other acquisitions they made in FA, the Browns will make for an interesting team to pay attention to in the 2018 season.

A lot of solid pieces in place there now. Might not be the same old story from Cleveland.
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Rookie

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy wrote:

That he won’t be a Seahawk for much longer.

#rebuildinfulleffect
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Rookie

• This is the Front office setting up for possibilities, no stone unturned, why everyone is being interviewed and looked at.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• No chance he gets traded on draft day IMO. It will be this week or next if he's moved.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• The Jags seem to be clearing an awful lot of cap space over the last several hours.

They wouldn't, would they?

They have the following picks -

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 16.36.42.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 16.36.42.png (36.64 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• original poster wrote:The Jags seem to be clearing an awful lot of cap space over the last several hours.

I would be ok with it if we got pick # 29 & 93.

They are probably clearing enough room to bring in Suh!! :(
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

• 12forlife wrote:
    original poster wrote:The Jags seem to be clearing an awful lot of cap space over the last several hours.

I would be ok with it if we got pick # 29 & 93.

They are probably clearing enough room to bring in Suh!! :(

Could also be that they are just trying to stay ahead of the curve so they don't end up like us so soon.
    "It's payback, Russell Wilson falling way back, in the draft, turn nothing into something"
    rossob
    NET Rookie

• After how stale the Safety market has turned out to be the thought of trading Earl has all but ended. With the low dollar contracts FA safeties have signed so far no one in their right mind would give Seattle a #1 at this point let alone a #1 and something else. I believe the current market for Earl would be a #2 or a #3 and a #5. No way Hawks would take that. If someone offered them a #1 and something else a week ago shame on them for not taking that. Just another strike out for JS.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• RCATES wrote:After how stale the Safety market has turned out to be the thought of trading Earl has all but ended. With the low dollar contracts FA safeties have signed so far no one in their right mind would give Seattle a #1 at this point let alone a #1 and something else. I believe the current market for Earl would be a #2 or a #3 and a #5. No way Hawks would take that. If someone offered them a #1 and something else a week ago shame on them for not taking that. Just another strike out for JS.

Turn that frown upside down chum!
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

• RCATES wrote:After how stale the Safety market has turned out to be the thought of trading Earl has all but ended. With the low dollar contracts FA safeties have signed so far no one in their right mind would give Seattle a #1 at this point let alone a #1 and something else. I believe the current market for Earl would be a #2 or a #3 and a #5. No way Hawks would take that. If someone offered them a #1 and something else a week ago shame on them for not taking that. Just another strike out for JS.

Wouldn't a bad safety free agent market drive Earl's value up, and not down?

Teams that don't have a good free safety know there's only maybe 2-3 starters in the draft, so IMO that increases Earl's trade value right now.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RCATES wrote:After how stale the Safety market has turned out to be the thought of trading Earl has all but ended. With the low dollar contracts FA safeties have signed so far no one in their right mind would give Seattle a #1 at this point let alone a #1 and something else. I believe the current market for Earl would be a #2 or a #3 and a #5. No way Hawks would take that. If someone offered them a #1 and something else a week ago shame on them for not taking that. Just another strike out for JS.

Teams that don't have a good free safety know there's only maybe 2-3 starters in the draft, so IMO that increases Earl's trade value right now.

:ditto:
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

• I still think it happens, personally.

Whether we're disappointed with the remuneration is yet to be determined.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• So, RCATES, how do you know what has been offered? No way ANY of us know. So, now it's a strikeout when nothing has even happened? ok.......
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:So, RCATES, how do you know what has been offered? No way ANY of us know. So, now it's a strikeout when nothing has even happened? ok.......

Agreed, plus ET is (when motivated) the best FS in the game, and is a game changer on the backside. It would surprise me if one of the teams going "All In" wouldn't gladly give up at minimum a 2nd & 3rd for his services. I think the FO holds firm on their asking price like they did with Sherman.
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

• massari wrote:Graham = Unger+1st

Both of these trades genuinely hurt the team and neither player was effectively incorporated into the O. i’d argue Harvin was the highest paid/lowest reward player the team has traded for ever; Graham was not far behind. Richardson for sure was expensive too.

Imagine the difference capwise and depthwise if the team had kept those 2 firsts, Unger, the 3rd,and even the 7th. The losses of a 2nd and 3rd this upcoming draft and a second next season will also hurt the ability to create quality young depth and add inexpensive talent. This will be accentuated in the team has to overpay for Brown next season or losses him in FA.

Harvin and Graham would have still been traded and likely would have both disappointed the team(s) and fans of the team(s) that traded for them. Being smarter with trades is hopefully a lesson PN’J have learned from these and the Richardson trades.

Their accumen in trading for ‘star’ players is certainly dubious. I get the ‘all in’ thinking but when it wrecks the cap and takes away potential for little reward it needs to be reassessed critically.

Time to move on but with luck some lesson have been learned.

I think the team should trade Thomas b/c I certainly wouldn’t pay him what he’s asking even as an an All Pro FS. He’s likely gone after this year too.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RCATES wrote:After how stale the Safety market has turned out to be the thought of trading Earl has all but ended. With the low dollar contracts FA safeties have signed so far no one in their right mind would give Seattle a #1 at this point let alone a #1 and something else. I believe the current market for Earl would be a #2 or a #3 and a #5. No way Hawks would take that. If someone offered them a #1 and something else a week ago shame on them for not taking that. Just another strike out for JS.

He wasn't using "bad market" the way you interpret it.

The market could be bad for NFL teams because there are more teams that want FA safeties than there are FA safeties.

The market could be bad for FA safeties because there are too many of them or because NFL teams just aren't valuing them highly for other reasons. Which is weird if, as you say, the draft doesn't have many good options. But it still seems to be the case.

It seems to me a post mentioning the low dollar contracts being awarded to FA safeties is using the latter definition.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

• hawk45 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

He wasn't using "bad market" the way you interpret it.

The market could be bad for NFL teams because there are more teams that want FA safeties than there are FA safeties.

The market could be bad for FA safeties because there are too many of them or because NFL teams just aren't valuing them highly for other reasons. Which is weird if, as you say, the draft doesn't have many good options. But it still seems to be the case.

It seems to me a post mentioning the low dollar contracts being awarded to FA safeties is using the latter definition.

Again, why is this a bad thing?

I said like two pages ago if we trade Earl, it'll probably be on draft day once the 3-4 teams interested see that they're not going to be in position to draft a good free safety.

I'd say right now it's 50/50. Which I'm fine with either way.

Trade Earl for 2-3 high picks, and all of a sudden John has the draft capital to fill 2-3 major holes, as opposed to just one with our only high pick.

Don't trade Earl? Force him to play in 2018, and if he doesn't accept a reasonable extension? Franchise his ass in 2019.........which will be like 11M. Totally reasonable.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• :lol: Duh, if Derwin James is available then you DO NOT trade for Earl Thomas. You draft James in an instantaneous no brainer.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:So, RCATES, how do you know what has been offered? No way ANY of us know. So, now it's a strikeout when nothing has even happened? ok.......

I'm not talking out of my ass "popular belief" here. I listen to John Clayton a lot on local radio and he strongly believe's due to the lack of interest teams are showing in the large amount of good safeties available that its bad news for Seattle on getting good value out of Thomas. The one's that have signed are doing so at really low numbers compared to years past. Again this points to teams lacking value this year in Safeties. Look what Honey Badger signed for and he's considered Elite. That's more late second round to third round money. I'm not saying a trade won't happen but Hawks would be wrong to trade Earl for anything less then a First. Due to the current market I don't see that happening. Any other questions?
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• Earl Thomas just isn't as valued as beleived by most Hawks fans in particular and, in fact, he isn't as contractually as valuable as HE thinks he is.

Take the best offer and look to the future. Earl Thomas isn't winning you a superbowl. Particularly now without the LOB around him. Trade him before he hits the field.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:Earl Thomas just isn't as valued as beleived by most Hawks fans in particular and, in fact, he isn't as contractually as valuable as HE thinks he is.

Take the best offer and look to the future. Earl Thomas isn't winning you a superbowl. Particularly now without the LOB around him. Trade him before he hits the field.

Earl is valuable to us, especially for the next couple of years of trying to rebuild the defense.

So I'm not willing to just take the best offer, unless the best offer includes a first rounder.

Like I said, offer him a reasonable extension, make him play, and if he holds out his ass is getting franchised next year.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• original poster wrote:No chance he gets traded on draft day IMO. It will be this week or next if he's moved.

I don't know about this week or next . . . wait, when's the draft? My guess is it won't be at the draft, but some time in that week before.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• HawkGA wrote:
    original poster wrote:No chance he gets traded on draft day IMO. It will be this week or next if he's moved.

I don't know about this week or next . . . wait, when's the draft? My guess is it won't be at the draft, but some time in that week before.

End of april.....very end.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Yeah starts 28th I believe.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• I don't know that you can make Earl do anything. He might just take his ball and go home. It's definitely within his character. He could miss a year and basically do a Marshawn. The Hawks could be petty like a fan, but there's no reason for it. Just get what you can now...or rather last week when the free agency frenzy of stupid spending was going on.

I've read quite a few Cowboys fan pages and almost no one is thinking it's a good idea to give up a first for Earl and on top of that, then you have to deal with the payroll. They're all mostly thinking about how to get James and that other VT safety...Edwards I think. There are a couple hitters in this class and they're also discussing Reid and his little brother at Stanford, etc.

No one who builds a roster the right way wants to deal with Earl bullshit. It needed to be during a frenzy or in a time of desperation, where Earl will be holding out and we'll get next to nothing for a player we can't use.

This is so stupid. It'll get dumber if we pay him what he wants too.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:I don't know that you can make Earl do anything. He might just take his ball and go home. It's definitely within his character. He could miss a year and basically do a Marshawn. The Hawks could be petty like a fan, but there's no reason for it. Just get what you can now...or rather last week when the free agency frenzy of stupid spending was going on.

I've read quite a few Cowboys fan pages and almost no one is thinking it's a good idea to give up a first for Earl and on top of that, then you have to deal with the payroll. They're all mostly thinking about how to get James and that other VT safety...Edwards I think. There are a couple hitters in this class and they're also discussing Reid and his little brother at Stanford, etc.

No one who builds a roster the right way wants to deal with Earl bullshit. It needed to be during a frenzy or in a time of desperation, where Earl will be holding out and we'll get next to nothing for a player we can't use.

This is so stupid. It'll get dumber if we pay him what he wants too.

Why would Earl retire and leave 5-6 more years of making 10M+ on the table (or more), just to spite the Hawks for not trading him or giving him a massive extension?

He loves the game as well.

I get it, he's pissed. We don't want to pay his extension demands, and all his buddies are gone or aren't able to play.

But he's not in the driver's seat here. I'm sure he will holdout, but he'll be back in week 7, finish out his year............and he'll be in the same situation next off season, a year older and about to be franchised.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• vin.couve12 wrote:Earl Thomas just isn't as valued as beleived by most Hawks fans in particular and, in fact, he isn't as contractually as valuable as HE thinks he is.

Using your logic/words If you trade Earl, you might as well trade Bobby and KJ because you are not winning a Super Bowl with just those 2 main cogs left on defense. To be honest I think that would be the way to go if ET is traded as you gain a ton of cap space and draft picks.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:Earl Thomas just isn't as valued as beleived by most Hawks fans in particular and, in fact, he isn't as contractually as valuable as HE thinks he is.

Using your logic/words If you trade Earl, you might as well trade Bobby and KJ because you are not winning a Super Bowl with just those 2 main cogs left on defense. To be honest I think that would be the way to go if ET is traded as you gain a ton of cap space and draft picks.

KJ maybe. He's been attacked in coverage going on 2 and a half years now.

Wagner is a building block. A conerstone.

Earl is not.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• KJ maybe. He's been attacked in coverage going on 2 and a half years now.

Wagner is a building block. A conerstone.

Earl is not.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. Wags is the leader of our D. KJ has become a liability.
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

• Damn...saw this thread back to the top and got excited that the trade happened!
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• This waiting game is killin' me, step up already, you Cleveland and Dallas. Earl is a HOF calibre safety in his prime, sign him Cleveland, you need a star on your team.
    toffee
    NET Starter

• toffee wrote:This waiting game is killin' me, step up already, you Cleveland and Dallas. Earl is a HOF calibre safety in his prime, sign him Cleveland, you need a star on your team.

Honestly can't believe we haven't heard rumors of Jacksonville, their D would be ridiculous with ET backing up their top tier cb's!
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

Earl Comments
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:21 pm
  • Thomas said. “So it’s a cut-throat league, but if you’re at the top of your game and you don’t give them any reasons to devalue, you’re good. That’s just how I look at it.”

He's right. I like his honesty, I think he would still dominate if we don't trade him. Safe play for us is to get as much as we can. Going to take $$$$ to lock him up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Earl Comments
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:27 pm
  • If we look at Earl Thomas and compare him to Ed Reed both players had similar size and durability. Reed lasted ten seasons as a top safety. So looking at it that way if the Seahawks can lock him up for three more seasons 18,19,20 then let him walk like the Ravens did with Reed.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Re: Earl Comments
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:04 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:If we look at Earl Thomas and compare him to Ed Reed both players had similar size and durability. Reed lasted ten seasons as a top safety. So looking at it that way if the Seahawks can lock him up for three more seasons 18,19,20 then let him walk like the Ravens did with Reed.

That’s what I would do.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Not sure if posted in another thread, but:

adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:Not sure if posted in another thread, but:

I think this deserves its own thread. Not the bottom of page 3 of some thread of what the Cowboys may or may not want to give up for him.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:47 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information