Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

TE Ed Dickson Signed - 3 Years Worth (up to) $14M

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• man that alot of money makes me wonder about asj
    “Well, they’re going to have to stop all of us. You feel me. I’m a piece to it, but we’ve got some dogs.”
    Str8OuttaSkittles
    NET Starter

Re: Dickson Signed
Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:37 am

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:40 am
  • I bet that price includes incentives, and really only means we can excuse ourselves from him, after the first year.

A good signing, especially looking at who is left on the street. Yikes. This allows Vannett to catch some balls, as well as work the Y, at times. Also, we could draft someone and let them battle it out with Swoopes in TC.

Good signing...not flashy, but who cares, Dickson can block big time.
    RockinHawks
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:43 am
  • Hopefully he'll be closer to a Zach Miller and help with blocking and the run game.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• true he can block.. those stats though :shock:
    “Well, they’re going to have to stop all of us. You feel me. I’m a piece to it, but we’ve got some dogs.”
    Str8OuttaSkittles
    NET Starter

• What a garbage signing for virtually the same amount they could have landed ASJ for. Ohh and this move also cancels out the comp pick we would have received for #88. Smdh
    RCATES
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:44 am
  • Not that excited about this move.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:44 am
  • Str8OuttaSkittles wrote:
    man that alot of money makes me wonder about asj

What a dumbass move to pay that!! The guy never earned over $2M per season in his prime, and now at 30 they double that? :pukeface:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• You guys want to fix the run game?

This will help. Massively.

He is a very good blocker and hasn't missed a single game in 5 seasons.

Great pick up!
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• You guys are hilarious, why not wait to see the actual details of the contract before freaking out.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:46 am
  • Greenhell wrote:Hopefully he'll be closer to a Zach Miller and help with blocking and the run game.

Zach Miller didn't have stone hands.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:46 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    Str8OuttaSkittles wrote:
    man that alot of money makes me wonder about asj

What a dumbass move to pay that!! The guy never earned over $2M per season in his prime, and now at 30 they double that? :pukeface:

14 million MAX value...

probably unlikely he gets anywhere near that
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I was thinking close to minimum salary.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

• original poster wrote:You guys want to fix the run game?

Great pick up!

I don't doubt his blocking ability. I question overpaying for the player, a tendency we have had in the past in FA that helped put us squarely where we are today though! :141847_bnono:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• All depends on how the contract is written.

My guess would be that the $14 Million would include $2-$3 million of incentives. Low year one base. Could cut after year one (thus the fully guaranteed year one salary).

Lets wait for details before comparing this deal to the ASJ contract. Would have liked ASJ on team, but understand the reasoning on not signing him.
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter

• Seymour wrote:
    original poster wrote:You guys want to fix the run game?

Great pick up!

I don't doubt his blocking ability. I question overpaying for the player, a tendency we have had in the past in FA that helped put us squarely where we are today though! :141847_bnono:

But you don't know we've over paid.

Nobody does.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Seymour wrote:

Great pick up!

This front office is Mad. They started off so good to only shit the bed theses last 3 going on 4 years. Track record currently sitting at 20% good moves to 80% terrible. JS just needs to go at this point.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• Seahawks fans - "our run game sucks"

- Seattle signs a blocking TE that can also catch -

Seahawks fans - "Ed Dickson? Yuck!"
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• original poster wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Great pick up!

Nobody does.

If he earns that $14M in 3 years or anywhere close I do.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• original poster wrote:Seahawks fans - "our run game sucks"

I wished I shared this type of homerism. I'll be shocked if this team does better then 7-9 this year. Season ticket holder since 2009.
    Last edited by RCATES on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• I just looked up career stats on both ASJ and Dickson

If you exclude last year then it isn’t like ASJ was catching a bunch of balls. So who did he play for last year - Jets. 50 receptions then but 10-20 before that per year

Now go look at what Kearse did with the Jets last year....

Point being - if you can’t recognize that the number of catches and receptions for a player and especially a TE is directly tied to coaching and system then you are missing something.

Dickson’s blocking will be valued but he also averages 11.2 yards per reception consistently over his career which is usually right about what we need for a 1st down (you know after the false start penalty / holding and then 3 yard run).
    Last edited by mikeak on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• original poster wrote:Seahawks fans - "our run game sucks"

Lol

I like the signing, especially if we got Dickson for 3-4M a year. Good blocker, good athlete, good separation and hasn't had the chance to be a #1 TE since Baltimore.

30 years old, but shouldn't have the wear on him that a 30 year old that's taken all the snaps for his team the past 3-4 years.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• We don’t even know the details yet, but folks are losing their minds. It is probably low guaranteed, heavily incentive laden. However carry on. I have pitchforks, and torches, for sale on Craigslist.
    It's about damn time #45 is in the HOF
    tacomahawk
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Great pick up!

Nobody does.

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

If he gets his incentives that means he has outperformed his base contract and proved to be a very valuable signing.

:34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh:
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:58 am
  • RCATES wrote:What a garbage signing for virtually the same amount they could have landed ASJ for. Ohh and this move also cancels out the comp pick we would have received for #88. Smdh

How would this cancel out the potential comp pick from the Jimmy Graham signing exactly?
    RockinHawks
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Great pick up!

Nobody does.

If he earns all the incentives over the next three years, and remains on the roster, he was likely worth every penny

This contract likely will be nothing more than a one year, $2 million dollar contract with two option years - in other words we can cut after year one with little impact. Can we at least learn the details of the contract prior to making definitive statements concerning its value?
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter

• original poster wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

Nobody does.

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

If he gets his incentives that means he has outperformed his base contract and proved to be a very valuable signing.

:34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh:

I could say that is utterly ridiculous also. Lacy had "incentives" to make a ridiculous heavy weight that he got. How did that turn out? :34853_doh: :34853_doh:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• This confirms that Vannett is a bust....another draft blunder.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Let's see the EXACT terms. APY is comparable to what ASJ got from Jax.

That said, they needed a complete TE ala Miller. Vannett was the closest they had to one and that's pushing it.

Also think ASJ is getting put into some rarified air by some on here. Last year he showed some production but 7.1 YPC is meh. Dickson had double that and had more yards that ASJ on 20 less catches.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

• Hopefully incentive laden with incentives being heavily weighted toward receptions and TDs, or even roster bonuses weighted toward the final year.
    Fire Tom Cable

Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• tacomahawk wrote:We don’t even know the details yet, but folks are losing their minds. It is probably low guaranteed, heavily incentive laden. However carry on. I have pitchforks, and torches, for sale on Craigslist.

Got a link?
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

• The Hawks needed a veteran TE who can both block and catch, would be a system fit with their new offense, and be a veteran leader/mentor in their TE room. They got all of that in Dickson. Dickson has been on winning teams and played in 2-TE offenses his entire career in both Baltimore and Carolina, going to Super Bowls with both teams (winning one with Baltimore). Dickson is known for his run blocking ability and ability to play FB in addition to TE, but he was actually PFF's highest graded pass blocker in 2017, and his receiving grade was higher than any of Seattle's TE's last season, Jimmy Graham included. He's also durable, with the 4th longest active games played streak among curernt TE's in the NFL. Getting him for an AAV of less than $5M, even with all possible incentives included, is a steal. Great fit, right kind of guy, and an extremely affordable price.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

• Excellent blocker from TE or FB position and relatively reliable pass catcher even without flashy numbers. Greg Olsen sure didn't help get him any targets, especially since he's clearly Cam's favorite pass catcher. Expect they'll look for a more explosive TE in the draft, maybe the kid Mark Andrews from Oklahoma? Knocked for his blocking but sounds like he's a slot matchup nightmare. Schotty loves the 2 TE sets and they'll need someone else.
    Last edited by mistaowen on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• We needed a true blocking TE. We signed a true blocking TE. What's the problem?

The Money? Are any of us being asked to pay for the contract? NO. We don't even know the full details of the contract.

Do any of you complaining not remember exactly how bad our TE run blocking was these last few years? Do you also not think that Vannett will take another step and be a solid blocking and receiving TE for us?

This may be a 1 or 2 year bridge to a full time TE in Vannett. A player who can also mentor Vannett in both being a solid blocking TE and possession receiver. I don't have a problem with this signing at all.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

• NorthDallas40oz wrote:The Hawks needed a veteran TE who can both block and catch, would be a system fit with their new offense, and be a veteran leader/mentor in their TE room. They got all of that in Dickson. Dickson has been on winning teams and played in 2-TE offenses his entire career in both Baltimore and Carolina, going to Super Bowls with both teams (winning one with Baltimore). Dickson is known for his run blocking ability and ability to play FB in addition to TE, but he was actually PFF's highest graded pass blocker in 2017, and his receiving grade was higher than any of Seattle's TE's last season, Jimmy Graham included. He's also durable, with the 4th longest active games played streak among curernt TE's in the NFL. Getting him for an AAV of less than $5M, even with all possible incentives included, is a steal. Great fit, right kind of guy, and an extremely affordable price.

Please don’t bring logic into this, the mob has already formed in front of the VMAC ;)
    It's about damn time #45 is in the HOF
    tacomahawk
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:This confirms that Vannett is a bust....another draft blunder.

No it doesn't. It shows that we needed a 3rd TE. We only have 2 on the roster, Vannett and Swoopes. Every team has at least 4-5 for camp.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• kf3339 wrote:We needed a true blocking TE. We signed a true blocking TE. What's the problem?

The Money? Are any of us being asked to pay for the contract? NO. We don't even know the full details of the contract.

Do any of you complaining not remember exactly how bad our TE run blocking was these last few years? Do you also not think that Vannett will take another step and be a solid blocking and receiving TE for us?

This may be a 1 or 2 year bridge to a full time TE in Vannett. A player who can also mentor Vannett in both being a solid blocking TE and possession receiver. I don't have a problem with this signing at all.

PFF does not like Ed Dickson, gave him a 49.7 grade, a 55.8 for pass catch, a 41.0 for run block and a 73.9 for pass block- he played 897 snaps (wow)

No different then #88 at terrible run blocking. This is another bone headed move by JS. No need to sugar coat it.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

Yeah that is the crappy part. Remember them raving about how he was the best blocking tight end in college. Doesn’t look like it has worked out that way.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:14 am
  • RockinHawks wrote:
    RCATES wrote:What a garbage signing for virtually the same amount they could have landed ASJ for. Ohh and this move also cancels out the comp pick we would have received for #88. Smdh

How would this cancel out the potential comp pick from the Jimmy Graham signing exactly?

Because we've lost two and signed two so far.

It will very unlikely be the case when it's all said and done, though.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• It's a one year deal for a run blocking TE2. Settle down.

This also allows room for Vannett to get the bulk of the playing time should he show he's ready.

#competition
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

Umm, no it doesn't. The Hawks being desperate to re-sign Graham and Willson - potentially overpaying to do so - would have confirmed that. This is a veteran leader to pair with the still ascending Vannett, who began flashing during the 2nd half of 2017 and even taking some snaps away from Graham and Willson. The Hawks only had 2 TE's under contract, one of whom is a long-term project who has yet to see an NFL snap....they were going to (and absolutely had to) sign at least one veteran TE this off-season just to even have a full practice during OTA's.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

• iigakusei wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:This confirms that Vannett is a bust....another draft blunder.

Yeah that is the crappy part. Remember them raving about how he was the best blocking tight end in college. Doesn’t look like it has worked out that way.

You would think by now he would be given the starting job especially after Graham leaving. A 3 year deal and not a cheap one at that to Dickson tells me that Vannett will not be the starter. He will be gone after his rookie deal.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Mojambo wrote:It's a one year deal for a run blocking TE2. Settle down.

This also allows room for Vannett to get the bulk of the playing time should he show he's ready.

#competition

PFF has him at a 41.0 for run blocking. So he's terrible at it.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• Here's a list of the top 10 pass blocking tight ends from last season.

1.jpg
    1.jpg (14.95 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:23 am
  • RockinHawks wrote:
    RCATES wrote:What a garbage signing for virtually the same amount they could have landed ASJ for. Ohh and this move also cancels out the comp pick we would have received for #88. Smdh

Don't know whether he's right or not, but that's what OTC is saying.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• RCATES wrote:
    Mojambo wrote:It's a one year deal for a run blocking TE2. Settle down.

#competition

If I thought PFF was anywhere credible, I might be worried, but I don't, so I'm not.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

• ok wow
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:
    iigakusei wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:This confirms that Vannett is a bust....another draft blunder.

You would think by now he would be given the starting job especially after Graham leaving. A 3 year deal and not a cheap one at that to Dickson tells me that Vannett will not be the starter. He will be gone after his rookie deal.

It's a three year deal in name only. It's one year guaranteed.

This doesn't block Vannett in any way at all. In fact, in my view it keeps the door pretty wide open for him.

Now if Seattle drafts a TE, then Vannett might be in trouble.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

• I am not the biggest fan of this signing - but you what is up with everyone being so black and white with this?

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Also, we don't even know the details of the contract yet. There have been all these reports about how the Seahawks didn't want to get burned with another Kam situation, so you you really think all 14 is guaranteed with this 30 year old tight end?

If i had to guess I would say this is essentially a 1 year deal with an inflated APY to make his agent look good. From what we saw last year I don't think it's fair to say Vannett is a bust at this point. He is exactly what he should be, a young tight end learning the system who will benefit from a veteran presence in the locker room. This signing does not indicate that Vannett could dominate and Dickson could never see the field by the end of the season. It's just a good idea to have depth.

All that being said, even if it turns out to be a one year deal, I can't help but think maybe they paid a little bit too much for what Dickson brings. It will be perfect it the first year guaranteed is only 2-3 million and everything else is team option, but something tells me he was able to get a little bit more out of them.

Time will tell.
    “How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Veteran

• RCATES wrote:
    Mojambo wrote:It's a one year deal for a run blocking TE2. Settle down.

#competition

ASJ is 59.9 run block :229031_banghead:
    RCATES
    NET Starter

Next

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:52 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information