FA losses and cuts

vonstout

Reaction score
Graham, both Richardsons, Sherman, Lane, and Shead all gone. Gave away Bennett for nothing. No significant additions. Gave up a second rounder for Richardson and then let him walk. Gave up our third rounder and our 2019 second rounder for Brown, who has one year left. Kam and Avril may be done. If I Was Earl, I'd want out and I'd be surprised if Russ signs again. We went from a perennial playoff team to a bottom half team with significant draft pick losses in a year. Fun while it lasted, but 4 bad drafts in a row brought us to this.

mikeak

Reaction score
Nothing wrong in your thread but to see how it plays into Comp picks

Graham - FA left
PRich - FA left
Sheldon Richardson - FA left
Tobin - FA left
Sherman, Lane, Shead and Bennett - Cut / Traded - doesn't count as FA for comp picks

Signed FA (not cut only player that counts against Comp pick)
Mingo - 2 years
Ed Dickson - 3 years
Jaron Brown - TBD

Net result - +1

EDIT: Remaining Seahawks potential FA to go elsewhere and increase the comp pick ratio
Willson, Wilhoite, Garvin, Joeckel, Aboushi, Davis, Smith, and Maxwell

EDIT: had Shead as FA originally who was actually released

Edit: Tobin signed by Patriots
Edit: Jaron Brown signed

hawknation2018

Reaction score
mikeak":3tvrn9kr said:
Nothing wrong in your thread but to see how it plays into Comp picks

Graham - FA left
PRich - FA left
Sheldon Richardson - FA left

Sherman, Lane, Shead and Bennett - Cut / Traded - doesn't count as FA for comp picks

Signed FA (not cut counts against Comp pick
Mingo - 2 years
Ed Dickson - 3 years

Net result - +1

EDIT: had Shead as FA originally who was actually released

Shead's situation seems a bit complicated. He only had a one-year deal, but the NFL ruled that his contract had not tolled due to his injury. This forced the Seahawks to relinquish their rights to his contract. It seems a bit unfair to consider that a release for compensatory purposes. I'm not sure how the league will view it.

RussB

Reaction score
They are clearing cap space. And they will most likely invest alot in the offense over the next 2 seasons.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
If Shead is considered a "release," I would be concerned about Schneider's willingness to re-sign Byron Maxwell. He has a habit of chasing comp picks.

Are we sure that Shead's situation is technically considered a "release"? If so, releasing him seems like a poor decision. They lose a veteran, on a mere $1.2M salary, who has played every position in the secondary; and they don't get the compensatory benefit?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
All these guys leaving and leaving those feel good "thanks for everything, I'll always be grateful" messages is reminding me of the "it's not you it's me" speech.

DJrmb

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1nfu39zy said:
If Shead is considered a "release," I would be concerned about Schneider's willingness to re-sign Byron Maxwell. He has a habit of chasing comp picks.

Are we sure that Shead's situation is technically considered a "release"? If so, releasing him seems like a poor decision. They lose a veteran, on a mere $1.2M salary, who has played every position in the secondary; and they don't get the compensatory benefit?
Everything I've read and heard has said they released him as good will faith because they promised him he would be a free agent after last season. The NFL decided not to toll his season so they had to release him to make good on their promise.

Here is an article discussing it:
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...t-him-back-as-cornerback-position-get-hazier/
Seahawks will release DeShawn Shead but that doesn’t mean he won’t be back in Seattle

The Seahawks plan to release cornerback DeShawn Shead on Monday, his agent, Cameron Foster, said Saturday afternoon, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent.

But the Seahawks aren’t doing it because they don’t want Shead on the team any longer. Instead, the move is designed to keep a favor to a player who has been a favorite of coaches and teammates since arriving in the league as an undrafted free agent in 2012 and Foster said the Seahawks have made it clear they hope to keep Shead in Seattle.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2m8gv22e said:

Why does it change anything with Maxwell?

Retaining your own players is NOT a negative in the comp formula.

Ok after thinking about it - yes it doesn’t give you a negative like if he is signed elsewhere. I think we get that with Luke Willson

DJrmb

Reaction score
mikeak":3122989j said:
hawknation2018":3122989j said:

Why does it change anything with Maxwell?

Retaining your own players is NOT a negative in the comp formula.

Ok after thinking about it - yes it doesn’t give you a negative like if he is signed elsewhere. I think we get that with Luke Willson
Yeah, I think what he was getting at is that Maxwell is probably our most valuable FA still out there. However it looks like Dickson and Mingo both will actually only earn about 3m APY next year so I think there is at least 1 or two guys that will sign for around that... I don't believe that Willson, Wilhoite, Garvin, Joeckel, Aboushi, Davis, Tobin, Smith, and Maxwell will all be out of the league completely and not sign with anyone (or sign after the May cutoff). Some will but I doubt All of those guys go unsigned.

A-Dog

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/974767012596633601[/tweet]

mikeak

Reaction score
DJrmb":1t0f3d8n said:
Yeah, I think what he was getting at is that Maxwell is probably our most valuable FA still out there. However it looks like Dickson and Mingo both will actually only earn about 3m APY next year so I think there is at least 1 or two guys that will sign for around that... I don't believe that Willson, Wilhoite, Garvin, Joeckel, Aboushi, Davis, Tobin, Smith, and Maxwell will all be out of the league completely and not sign with anyone (or sign after the May cutoff). Some will but I doubt All of those guys go unsigned.

Agreed - figured it out as I was writing :)

I did steal your line though about remaining FA players: Willson, Wilhoite, Garvin, Joeckel, Aboushi, Davis, Tobin, Smith, and Maxwell

I added it to my original reply above as a one place for it

Agree on the point - Joeckel will sign somewhere even if cheap and same thing with Tobin and maybe others

I think we retain 1-3 of the other players

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The Seahawks should challenge the NFL's tolling decision with Shead. He played in two games last year, which the players association says is sufficient. The team is not benefiting from the decision, and it would actually hurt if we can't use Shead's new contract to cancel out one of our FA signings.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MarkDanielsPJ/status/974788880217133057[/tweet]

Poor usage of a 5th round pick.

DJrmb

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1jkbxjhj said:

I don't think so. This now will keep us from losing the 3/4 from Jimmy or Sheldon. Or possibly give us back a 5th round pick.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2ktas0m4 said:
The Seahawks should challenge the NFL's tolling decision with Shead. He played in two games last year, which the players association says is sufficient. The team is not benefiting from the decision, and it would actually hurt if we can't use Shead's new contract to cancel out one of our FA signings.

1) at the end of the day it is unlikely to matter

2) the other owners would be PISSED. An NFL team should not challenge a ruling that gives the team another year under contract. The NFLPA should challenge as a matter of practice

hawknation2018

Reaction score
DJrmb":31s8otmr said:
hawknation2018":31s8otmr said:

I don't think so. This now will keep us from losing the 3/4 from Jimmy or Sheldon. Or possibly give us back a 5th round pick.

It won't have any impact on the comp picks for Jimmy or Sheldon. Tobin's deal is for the vet minimum. We have 5+ other free agents who will sign similar or greater deals.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Hawks offered Sheldon $6million.

We aren't the same cozy, fun squad to come to.

DJrmb

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2x4cwa9h said:
DJrmb":2x4cwa9h said:
hawknation2018":2x4cwa9h said:

It won't have any impact on the comp picks for Jimmy or Sheldon. Tobin's deal is for the vet minimum. We have 5+ other free agents who will sign similar or greater deals.
Yes it will because before Tobin signed Dickson or Mingo's deal would have cancelled out one of those top picks because we didn't have anyone else signed. Now instead Dickson will probably cancel out PRich and Tobin for Mingo or vice versa.

Also I'm not seeing anywhere that says it's for the minimum. Usually guys that sign in the first couple days of FA are not signing for the minimum. Do you have a link?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
DJrmb":5qawtini said:
hawknation2018":5qawtini said:
DJrmb":5qawtini said:
hawknation2018":5qawtini said:

Yes it will because before Tobin signed Dickson or Mingo's deal would have cancelled out one of those top picks because we didn't have anyone else signed. Now instead Dickson will probably cancel out PRich and Tobin for Mingo or vice versa.

Also I'm not seeing anywhere that says it's for the minimum. Usually guys that sign in the first couple days of FA are not signing for the minimum. Do you have a link?

I heard on the radio that Tobin signed for the vet minimum. I'll post the official details when they become available. Lots of player get signed to the vet minimum around this time, i.e. the Seahawks today signed Akeem KIng for the non-guaranteed minimum.

The NFL doesn't calculate comp picks until the season is over. Tobin's contract will have no impact on comp picks because we have several other free agents who will sign for at least the vet minimum.

Also, this . . .
[tweet]https://twitter.com/nickkorte/status/974791998715523073[/tweet]

"The Patriots have inked their third player in the last hour with former Eagles and Seahawks offensive lineman Matt Tobin to a 1-year deal with my guess being somewhere around vet minimum or with zero guaranteed money."

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/3/16/17 ... -year-deal

Latest posts