The Pete Carroll era is over

HansGruber

Reaction score
Hate to say it. Love Carroll and what he did for us. Best coach in Seahawks history. But this era is over.

Seahawks are in rebuild mode. There's only so much you can do with undrafted talent. Carroll will be here for 2 more seasons. Schneider will join him in the way out. Paul Allen will go after Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, or some other college talent. Seahawks will not seriously contend until then.

The mass exodus of free agents speaks for itself. They want to win and know it won't happen here.

I've been trying to stay positive but honestly we all know what's up.

Breaks my heart to see all that talent go to waste.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Orrrrrr, they want to get paid and we aren't offering them jack. Which tells me they have a strict plan with their budget and the type of guys they are willing to fork over cash for. They aren't freaking out and over paying guys because "oh no, we're rebuilding, we need to sign guys now!".

A-Dog

Reaction score
They wouldn't keep Pete around for the rebuild if the weren't going to let him see it through.

The mass exodus of players is mostly because they are expensive and aging. Some of us knew this was coming years ago.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
The Pete Carroll era is prime for it's revival. This is how Pete likes it, out with the malcontents the Sherms/Bennetts/Earls, keep the guys who have bought in like Wagz and KJ and then rotate in new young talent that haven't heard his stories and rah rah'ing or just fresh vets that haven't been part of the culture here, it's college ball style, almost complete turnover. He lives for that, this probably reinvigorates him the idea of coaching up new young hungry talent. He was probably burning out faster having the same roster with minimal turnover.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Old and slow making too much dough, you gotta go.

I don’t believe this an indication that Pete is checking out at all. I think this him committing to another 3-4 years and stripping it down to just the foundation (Russ and Bobby).

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
File this under "Making a big claim so if it pans out, I can say 'Told you so!' and if it doesn't, people probably won't remember!"

Atradees

Reaction score
We can hear the egos of the overpaid from the various states they went to, decrying: the end of an era.

We still have Wilson. Period. The offense is already better. Jaron will flourish as a starter in our system. Dickson will block. The receivers will be better. TE better. Oline coach better.....there is a plan.

Everybody likes McDougal. Which young guy pushes him? Everybody likes Shaq at corner. Then Coleman was a real nice piece last year when the Boom was Bust. Trading Thomas for a first plus would be a masterful way to resurrect this draft.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
What am I missing? Did he get fired? Because if he's still the coach, it's still his era regardless of whether or not it's producing the exact results you want.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Semihoo already said the exact same thing 2 years ago..Everything ends including us at some point.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Don't confuse things. We are not in this position because of the vets. They did their job, they set records after records, especially on defense. They kept us in games and gave us chances to win. They deserved to be paid like top performers in this position. Top CEOs/Coaches get paid top dollars, why should top corners not be paid top corner dollars?

JS and Pete failed miserably at drafting/developing talent and continue to improve our farm system. We wasted so much capital on the offensive line(draft picks, trades, musical chairs, our QB health, Running backs, ...), while firing Cable would have done the job. But loyalty won over pragmatism.
With a decent running game and a decent offense in the first half of games, I have no doubt we would have made another run at the SB. Look at the losses in Carolina, Atlanta ... where we started being down 2-3 scores, before the offense could get a first down ???

Pete has earned the right to get another chance, but he needs to show he has learned from his previous mistakes. Loyalty is nice, but ... pragmatism is better. Compete all the time should apply to all, not just the players. That's the big takeaway from the first Pete Era.

chris98251

Reaction score
joeseahawks":hs2yu9gd said:
Don't confuse things. We are not in this position because of the vets. They did their job, they set records after records, especially on defense. They kept us in games and gave us chances to win. They deserved to be paid like top performers in this position. Top CEOs/Coaches get paid top dollars, why should top corners not be paid top corner dollars?

JS and Pete failed miserably at drafting/developing talent and continue to improve our farm system. We wasted so much capital on the offensive line(draft picks, trades, musical chairs, our QB health, Running backs, ...), while firing Cable would have done the job. But loyalty won over pragmatism.
With a decent running game and a decent offense in the first half of games, I have no doubt we would have made another run at the SB. Look at the losses in Carolina, Atlanta ... where we started being down 2-3 scores, before the offense could get a first down ???

Pete has earned the right to get another chance, but he needs to show he has learned from his previous mistakes. Loyalty is nice, but ... pragmatism is better. Compete all the time should apply to all, not just the players. That's the big takeaway from the first Pete Era.

No this is the big takeaway.

Hqdefault

Seymour

Reaction score
I'm a fair Pete critic, and I think he can pull it off. I don't believe he will if I had to put $$ on it, but I'm not writing him off. If he does pull it off, he will become even more legendary.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1o7kvyvm said:
Semihoo already said the exact same thing 2 years ago..

So he was wrong, too? Because it looks like Pete is still here.

If you're making the playoffs, you're seriously contending. This fan base, of all fan bases, should know that after 2010.

joeseahawks":1o7kvyvm said:
But loyalty won over pragmatism.

Or the team kept making the playoffs, so it was difficult to conclude that there was a real problem.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Why do we feel the need to make a brand new thread to espouse a sentiment already being discussed in another thread? Should we have a thread titled "the Pete Carrol era is almost over"... and another "The Pete Carroll era is half over" plus "The Pete Carrol era.. we've only just begun" and the ever famous "Pete Carroll" thread. Last but never least.. "Your Mom" thread (maybe thats in a different forum)

Use the What is the Plan thread unless Pete gets fired.

Because today, it's still the Pete Carroll era as he's still the coach.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Atradees":1za8uvqk said:
We can hear the egos of the overpaid from the various states they went to, decrying: the end of an era.

We still have Wilson. Period. The offense is already better. Jaron will flourish as a starter in our system. Dickson will block. The receivers will be better. TE better. Oline coach better.....there is a plan.

Everybody likes McDougal. Which young guy pushes him? Everybody likes Shaq at corner. Then Coleman was a real nice piece last year when the Boom was Bust. Trading Thomas for a first plus would be a masterful way to resurrect this draft.

I really want to see one of the safeties we drafted push McDougald for starting time. Can't afford to have burned those picks.

12forlife

Reaction score
Seymour":2al2lmfs said:
I'm a fair Pete critic, and I think he can pull it off. I don't believe he will if I had to put $$ on it, but I'm not writing him off. If he does pull it off, he will become even more legendary.

It's fair to be skeptical of our situation, I agree. At the same time I ask myself why? PC/JS have done this before, with starting with a whole lot less. I mean we have a lot of key pieces in place (elite QB) most importantly, yes we lost some key pieces as well, but with age, injury and being overpaid some change was needed. This team had lost what made us great in the first place. Young hungry talent with chips on their shoulders. Besides ET, none of these guys Bennett, Sherm, Chancellor were high picks. Yes we haven't made the big splash here in FA, but I do feel just like they did the first go around they are finding younger talent, guys that will buy in to fill holes so we don't necessarily reach in the draft. If they score a 1st & 3rd or better in trading ET then I'm excited to see what this team looks like trimmed down to 53 next year. IMHO a lot of what has got us where we are is getting cute in past few drafts trading down and passing on obvious talent, not restocking the shelf, and allowing to Cable to make wasted pick after wasted pick with nothing to show for it. With Cable & Bevell gone :pukeface: I again have faith!!