Building This Roster - Getting Back to Basics

original poster

Reaction score
You may call it a total rebuild, a simple refresh or anywhere in between, but the reality is, this roster is changing dramatically. I don't personally like the term rebuild as, by definition in NFL terms, it insinuates this team has sunk and currently flying at half-mast. I firmly believe there is no way John Schneider or Pete Carroll will ever accept the flag any lower than full-mast at all times and certainly not treating this as a full rebuild whereby you accept a down year or two. This front office and coaching staff will do everything in their power to be as competitive as possible for next season and beyond.

Some fans haven't yet cottoned on to what we're seeing unravel itself right in front of us and are still in full panic mode and I get it, having this many starting calibre players leaving is concerning, but it's the moves this front office makes moving forwards that will matter.

As part of my research for this article, I took a look at how many players each team currently had under contract which proved to be quite tricky as many Exclusive Rights Free Agents and Restricted Free Agents weren't yet listed on the squads, however the end result was very, very eye opening.

GtwtvCN

As you can see, the Seahawks currently have the lowest amount of rostered players on their team league wide. The (mean) league average currently stands at 65 players so Seattle is some 7 men under even league average, but why?

Richard Sherman recently discussed how Pete Carroll's approach to this team is far more suited to a college roster where turnover is both inevitable and often. He went on to say how some of the older guys have heard all the stories over and over and effectively insinuated that it wasn't working anymore. He has a point, if you hear the same messages over and over, you're going to tune out, right? I know I would. I firmly believe Pete Carroll and company are in total agreement with Sherm and they've accepted that his message is falling on deaf ears with some. Look at the players that have been moved in the recent weeks, every single one of them has been here for a long time and probably were no longer 'buying in'.

So how can Pete translate his college message to work at the pro level? By adapting the exact same approach of course. You have high turnover (relative to the NFL) and get young guys with points to prove and the old cliché of 'chips on their shoulder'. You may remember he did this way back in 2010 and managed to assemble arguably the greatest defense to ever step foot on a football field. He didn't do this with an abundance of first round picks, either. Sure you had Earl Thomas who was a first rounder and Bobby Wagner who was a second rounder, but the rest was assembled through a variety of mid to late round draft selections, the Canadian Football League, undrafted free agents, trade acquisitions and guys who didn't make other rosters.

What we are going to witness over the coming months is players in and out at a point where you can't keep a track of it all, players are going to be signed and then cut before the team even has a chance to announce the signing. Pete is getting back to 'always compete' and just the thought of that sends shivers down my spine!

The Seattle Seahawks as a whole are going to be young, poor and desperate to prove their worth. That, in my opinion, is far more exciting than having a loaded roster full of (aging) blue chips whereby the younger guys don't stand a chance to jump above them on the depth chart and just have to stand on the side lines, making it onto the field for special teams plays if they're really lucky. You cannot identify stars if they're not getting a chance to perform in real game situations. Remember when we'd never heard of Richard Sherman or Kam Chancellor, then injuries happened which forced them into a starting role? I don't need to reinforce my point of how that turned out…

This team is in a far better state than it was back in 2010 when Pete first did this. You've got legitimate starters at the following positions -

QB - Russell Wilson
LT - Duane Brown
C - Justin Britt
WR - Doug Baldwin
ILB - Bobby Wagner
OLB - K.J Wright
FS - Earl Thomas

The listed 7 players are, in my opinion, the only true 'locks' on this roster for a starting role. It seems very likely that the likes of Frank Clark will be a starter at DE, Bradley McDougald at SS, Shaq Griffin at CB etc. but I wouldn't class them as locks. If someone comes in and performs better, they will lose their starting spots, it's as simple as that.

If you can churn the roster over with new guys whilst keeping cornerstones at 4 positions on offense and 2 or 3 (depending on the final outcome with Earl Thomas), I'd say they are setting themselves up very well to 'win forever'.

That leaves a huge 15 starting roster spots open, do you think that will be appealing to players that go undrafted this year? Or CFL players who would like to take it to the next level? Of course it would. Seattle was once the number one choice for UDFA's however as the roster became so stacked, agents were swaying their clients away as the chances of them sticking on the 53 man roster were diminished hugely, but now? They have a legitimate chance to come into camp, prove themselves and walk straight into a starting role. That is a huge selling point so I will still be expecting some fans to be panicking when looking over the final roster as there will likely be a whole lot of 'who is that?' going on, but as I've said, you cannot identify the stars on the side line. I firmly believe this team is getting back to what made them so successful a few years ago, Pete and John are doing everything in their power to maintain their preached 'win forever'.

There's no doubt they have made some mistakes over the years and both 'win forever' and 'always compete' didn't really ring true with what they were actually doing. Giving up a second round pick and Jermaine Kearse for a one year rental is absolutely not 'win forever'. It's 'win now' and they didn't, not even close. This team is getting back to its roots planted by both Pete and John and I believe they will stick to their guns this time. They've learned valuable lessons with mistakes made previously and this organization will become a better football team for it. They could still add another couple of cornerstones in the second wave of free agency but I suspect the bulk of their work will come in the third and even forth wave of free agency, the draft is an obvious one, as well as players that go undrafted.

But also, this team is going to see heavy roster churn in August/early September when teams trim their rosters down from 90 to 53. They will be keeping a very close eye on the whole league and will be ready to pull the trigger should 'their guy' becomes available. Remember last year when some players didn't make the 53 man roster and everyone was scratching their head? Every single team has at least 2 of those players leave, that's a pool of, at the very minimum, 62 players that could be added to the Seahawks roster. There's every chance they could add starters and depth players via this route as some teams will inevitably be stacked at certain position groups, so while player X couldn't make that teams 53, there's every chance they could jump the depth chart on another, it's a fantastic way to improve the roster and something Seattle hasn't really got involved in a whole lot over the last couple of years but with them 'getting back to basics' I find it highly likely this will be another avenue they go heavily into.

A lot of the moves they make may not make sense initially, and some inevitably won't work out, that's a given. But I guarantee some will, too. And that excites me.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Good read! If you don't mind me picking one small nit... If there are 32 NFL teams, and the Seahawks are one of them, I think "...that's a pool of, at the very minimum, 64 players ..." should be 62 players. Because you can't really count the cuts from the Seahawks as players who are available for a look - those two would have already been looked at before they were cut.

Otherwise, spot on article.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2zp2nb5b said:
Good read! If you don't mind me picking one small nit... If there are 32 NFL teams, and the Seahawks are one of them, I think "...that's a pool of, at the very minimum, 64 players ..." should be 62 players. Because you can't really count the cuts from the Seahawks as players who are available for a look - those two would have already been looked at before they were cut.

Otherwise, spot on article.

Very good point, will edit it now. Thanks :)

BullHawk33

Reaction score
This year, our draft pick cupboard is bare. Our cap position is not very good, sitting at 19th in the league in cap space and 18.2 million free compared to a league average of 24.5 million in space. We're going to use between 6 and 7 million of that cap to pay our draft picks and the rest we will use on the free agents you talked about. That is only about 17 million to fill all the holes. I agree with you that there is going to be a bunch of roster turnover as John brings in people to compete but I see this year as a bit of a lame duck.

They can get a starter at pick 18 and I hope they do. They need to lock down another spot but John may covet the salary savings more and trade down. Even if they slide down to the later 1st round, they might be able to get an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick but the problem is that everyone knows we have a gaping hole in our draft and they know we will be looking for more picks. You just may not get the value you want in that position.

Up until they start playing, there aren't going to be any splashy moves. There won't be any high profile free agents walking through the door unless they take small contracts. We will start the season with a roster full of hungry kids and I hope they can deliver. If they can't, they might put us in a better position for next year's draft to complete the turnover.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
If the plan is centered around re-building the O-line, I'm in. So much of our future flows from how well that's done.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I'm excited for this offseason. Team has had a really good run with players who basically came into camp every year knowing the job was theirs. Not saying they didn't try hard or anything, just as you pointed out, it was tough for any young players to really get a shot. I think this year will be similar to the early PC years of constant roster churn and trying to find some players who fit the scheme. I bet JS will really attack the UDFA pool too.

I think the OL is relatively set besides LG or some positional shifting, far too much draft capital spent on it and we need to see what the new OL coach can do. Post season interviews about Cable's scheme/technique make me think he was holding them all back. Fant will be interesting at RT since I doubt he will take the job from Brown. I'm hopeful Shaq takes a big step forward this year and becomes the new face of the LOB 2.0.

kf3339

Reaction score
Good read Chris!

If that is the case then we aren't in the Suh sweepstakes at all. That move would be counter to that plan. Personally though I still think he could be a core signing as the 3tech position is so hard to fill thru the draft, and Suh is still a mean ass and dominant tackle.

Other than him it makes a lot of sense.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
kf3339":19xfa6zj said:
Good read Chris!

If that is the case then we aren't in the Suh sweepstakes at all. That move would be counter to that plan. Personally though I still think he could be a core signing as the 3tech position is so hard to fill thru the draft, and Suh is still a mean ass and dominant tackle.

Other than him it makes a lot of sense.

Thank you :)

Upon reflection, I doubt Suh signs here. If (and it's a big if) he isn't all about the money then it could work but I have a feeling a Frank Clark extension may be far more likely this summer.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out what's going on this off season and your thinking makes more sense than anything I've read.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Interesting read. You seem to have captured the direction, and I too expect to see more roster churn this season than last as JS tries to improve competitive situations across the roster. The team will be mining to waiver wire for players with potential to improve each position's depth.

It will be tough to keep Pete from going 'all in' on some big name players if they are out there. I believe the errors made with Harvin and Graham, and in part with S. Richardson, could easily be repeated if the team sees a shot at acquiring some big name player. Of course this will be inconsistent with your thinking and what the team seems to be doing. Time will tell if the lessons of the past have taught Pete to be more conservative.

Hopefully better thinking in terms of the actual fit for the player and the ability of the coaching staff to incorporate the player into their scheme needs to be more in the minds of the FO if any big player acquisition is made. It was totally clear that neither Harvin or Graham were incorporated well into the team's O during their respective tenures here. Richardson seemed to be be more of a desperate move that proved to be a mistake.

At present I don't think we are done seeing some of the fixture players from the gone by trade or being released as would be the situations with Thomas or Avril, or even Chancellor post June 1.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster":1scbhk74 said:
QB - Russell Wilson
LT - Duane Brown
C - Justin Britt
WR - Doug Baldwin
ILB - Bobby Wagner
OLB - K.J Wright
FS - Earl Thomas

The listed 7 players are, in my opinion, the only true 'locks' on this roster for a starting role. .

This is the depressing part of this whole thing for me, if feels like just a couple years ago we were actually bragging about how loaded the roster was and how there was no room for anyone at any position.

But yes, "Getting back to basics" is a good term to use for what Pete and John are trying to do.

- get young, hungry and nasty again on defense
- find a RB to build the run game around
- get some continuity and competence along the O-line

Which sounds good, but so far our moves haven't exactly addressed any of this, they've been more stop gaps and place fillers until John can get a handle on the cap and have some draft picks to work with.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Another aspect is Pete's "Always Compete" mantra coupled with his ultimate players coach persona. Those 2 aspects in my mind seem to be opposed to each other. As time goes by players and coaches build a familiarity and comradery, leading to acceptance of mistakes and a drop off in performance. I believe that makes the "always compete" mantra more difficult and requires a shake up of both the coaches and players in order to have a true competition.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1nspdjao said:
original poster":1nspdjao said:
QB - Russell Wilson
LT - Duane Brown
C - Justin Britt
WR - Doug Baldwin
ILB - Bobby Wagner
OLB - K.J Wright
FS - Earl Thomas

The listed 7 players are, in my opinion, the only true 'locks' on this roster for a starting role. .

This is the depressing part of this whole thing for me, if feels like just a couple years ago we were actually bragging about how loaded the roster was and how there was no room for anyone at any position.

But yes, "Getting back to basics" is a good term to use for what Pete and John are trying to do.

- get young, hungry and nasty again on defense
- find a RB to build the run game around
- get some continuity and competence along the O-line

Which sounds good, but so far our moves haven't exactly addressed any of this, they've been more stop gaps and place fillers until John can get a handle on the cap and have some draft picks to work with.

Such is the downside of going 'all in' like happened last season.

The shocking total failure of the team to develop a running game woke the FO up to the reality that Cable was unable to deliver even an an average OLine despite the number of picks assigned to him to find the guys he wanted. He truly had conned the FO into believing he knew what he was doing releasing him and Bevell will go quite a way to returning the team to some semblance of competence on O. Continuity will be good start. However, we should expect personnel changes to be a regular feature until the team has a competent OLine. Hopefully the errors of the past won't be repeated and personnel will change on the coaching staff if their unit aren't getting it done.

toffee

Reaction score
Whatever Pete's doing this off season should have happened a year earlier. But hey, better late than never.

D

DomeHawk

Appreciate what you're saying but being attractive to UDFA's who could walk in and gain a starting job as you say is NOT an enviable place to be.

My main concern the last few days is "where are we going to get them" w/depleted draft choices and not much activity in free agency. You have identified some of that but depending on UDFA's to fill needs doesn't exactly inspire me w/confidence.

As we approach the coming year my feelings about the Seahawks are: GO HUSKIES!!!

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
DomeHawk":iicycf36 said:
Appreciate what you're saying but being attractive to UDFA's who could walk in and gain a starting job as you say is NOT an enviable place to be.

My main concern the last few days is "where are we going to get them" w/depleted draft choices and not much activity in free agency. You have identified some of that but depending on UDFA's to fill needs doesn't exactly inspire me w/confidence.

As we approach the coming year my feelings about the Seahawks are: GO HUSKIES!!!

It's all about finding those diamonds in the rough in my opinion. I remember when Seattle had a load of UDFA's as starters in years gone by.

D

DomeHawk

original poster":2h9g1bya said:
DomeHawk":2h9g1bya said:

It's all about finding those diamonds in the rough in my opinion. I remember when Seattle had a load of UDFA's as starters in years gone by.

I get it, it's just such a low-percentage strategy though. You are going to fail far more than you are going to succeed.

White Devil

Reaction score
This is a great post and absolutely describes what is happening with this franchise. Instead of crying about lost favorite players, fans need to recognize that this team is headed BACK to the future.

In 2010 they made an unprecedented 284 roster moves.

In 2011 they churned the roster over again with another 218 roster moves.

502 transactions in 2 seasons?

Insanity!

No, genius.

Here's an old 2011 article criticizing the moves that Pete and John were making then. The team was going backwards. Nobody knew what was about to happen with this franchise. They had no clue that all of those roster moves were the building blocks to Seattle's first Lombardi.

http://sportspressnw.com/2111677/2011/a ... in-reverse

Pete and John have earned my trust. Blowing the roster up after last season is what needed to be done and they should both get credit for making the call. Not many front offices in the league have the balls to make that move. It's a lot simpler to just watch the franchise slowly decay after 8 seasons, and inevitably get fired and move on to another job. Or even worse hang on for years longer than you should like Jeff Fischer.

I look forward to what the future brings because the last 8 years was one helluva ride.