Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks sign offensive lineman DJ Fluker

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Seahawks sign offensive lineman DJ Fluker
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:50 pm
  • 1FFA77F1-5FF8-4A36-A5F9-99EFFF2D5051.png
    1FFA77F1-5FF8-4A36-A5F9-99EFFF2D5051.png (939.59 KiB) Viewed 3613 times
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• He played RG and RT for Solari last year with the Giants.

This is a pretty intriguing signing.

Very keen to see the contract given how awfully overpaid many have been.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Welcomed addition. Versatility.

Reworking that 2013 draft one player at a time.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Jville wrote:Welcomed addition. Versatility.

Reworking that 2013 draft one player at a time.

11th overall IIRC.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• I like it. He'll integrate quickly given his experience with Solari. Seems to grade out well in run blocking (which we desperately need help with). Better than our other alternatives at the moment for sure.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

• Alright !!!.Now we're cooking :irishdrinkers:
    daveyoung52
    NET Rookie

• Awful at pass blocking but seem to remember him being strong in the run game.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• I think Fluker may be a good signing, but IIRC there was injury concern. I'll have to double check that though.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Excellent signing. I'm pretty pumped about this. Played with Mike Solari in NY. Graded well before injury.

Brown, Fluker, Britt, Ifedi, Fant.... Okay, now with decent coaching, this line will actually be average! WOOO.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• lukerguy wrote:Excellent signing. I'm pretty pumped about this. Played with Mike Solari in NY. Graded well before injury.

Brown, Fluker, Britt, Ifedi, Fant.... Okay, now with decent coaching, this line will actually be average! WOOO.

Agreed! This Oline is finally taking shape. Now just gotta figure out a way to get someone - anyone - better than Ifedi in there starting and we'll have a LEGIT Oline. Good signing IMO!
    FormerEvil
    NET Rookie

• Seymour wrote:I think Fluker may be a good signing, but IIRC there was injury concern. I'll have to double check that though.

He's had quite the laundry list of time on the injury report, including going on season ending IR in week 12 of last year.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/dj-fluker-player-injuries

Good talent, may fit in if he can stay healthy. At this point? I'll take any warm experienced body on the O-line.

We really don't have a choice, not enough picks and too many holes elsewhere to find an O-line starter this draft. So gotta patch the holes for another year or two.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• :roll: :roll:

Nope...Russell will get killed with this guy. What is Pete doing running with re-treads this year?? Christ on a crutch.

Here are some players who had better PFF pass block grades than Fluker in 2017: -Ethan Pocic -Bradley Sowell -Luke Joeckel -Jordan Roos -Oday Aboushi
    Last edited by original poster on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Language...
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• FormerEvil wrote:
    lukerguy wrote:Excellent signing. I'm pretty pumped about this. Played with Mike Solari in NY. Graded well before injury.

Agreed! This Oline is finally taking shape. Now just gotta figure out a way to get someone - anyone - better than Ifedi in there starting and we'll have a LEGIT Oline. Good signing IMO!

I think Ifedi might surprise you with some good coaching. Did you see how even Duane Brown regressed with poor coaching last year? That's all scheme and technique by Cable..

Ifedi is raw, competitive and physically elite.. but he's also kind of dumb (no offence to him).

Zone blocking schemes are mentally draining on certain players. A lot of these lineman like to have an assignment and just drive them into the ground.. that's what Ifedi will now be getting with most of Solari's scheme.. Ifedi is going to be the largest beneficiary of this new line coach.
    Last edited by lukerguy on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• 4E25AA01-AFD6-4490-9277-4D9765FD687D.png
    4E25AA01-AFD6-4490-9277-4D9765FD687D.png (509.98 KiB) Viewed 3368 times
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:I think Fluker may be a good signing, but IIRC there was injury concern. I'll have to double check that though.

He's had quite the laundry list of time on the injury report, including going on season ending IR in week 12 of last year.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/dj-fluker-player-injuries

Good talent, may fit in if he can stay healthy. At this point? I'll take any warm experienced body on the O-line.

We really don't have a choice, not enough picks and too many holes elsewhere to find an O-line starter this draft. So gotta patch the holes for another year or two.

Well I'm all for patching holes, but how bout using cement instead of sand? :pukeface:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• For those assuming he has signed to fill the hole at Left Guard - Fluker has only played on the right side of the line, both at Right Tackle and Right Guard.

Seahawks may believe he is better suited for the LG position, but would be a new spot for him on the line
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter

• FLuker has graded around 70+ at RT in his career, so perhaps they plan to move him to RT and push Fant to LG.

lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• lukerguy wrote:
    FormerEvil wrote:
    lukerguy wrote:Excellent signing. I'm pretty pumped about this. Played with Mike Solari in NY. Graded well before injury.

I think Ifedi might surprise you with some good coaching. Did you see how even Duane Brown regressed with poor coaching last year? That's all scheme and technique by Cable..

Ifedi is raw, competitive and physically elite.. but he's also kind of dumb (no offence to him).

Zone blocking schemes are mentally draining on certain players. A lot of these lineman like to have an assignment and just drive them into the ground.. that's what Ifedi will now be getting with most of Solari's scheme.. Ifedi is going to be the largest beneficiary of this new line coach.

Could not agree more.

2017 Ifedi and 2016 Britt will have a lot in common.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• lukerguy wrote:FLuker has graded around 70+ at RT in his career, so perhaps they plan to move him to RT and push Fant to LG.

I had them taking one of Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez or Austin Corbett early for LG.

I’m still adamant this will happen despite the Fluker signing.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• I like it, let the downers freak out. Welcome to Seattle DJ! Will help the Running game.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Keep him at RG. Pocic isn't much at guard, IMO. He got overpowered there time and again.

Pete said a couple months ago that there aren't any plans to move Ifedi back to guard anyway.

Let Pocic compete at LG with Roos and then we'll probably add more too, although again, I don't really like Pocic at guard, but let him compete.
    Last edited by vin.couve12 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• original poster wrote:
    lukerguy wrote:FLuker has graded around 70+ at RT in his career, so perhaps they plan to move him to RT and push Fant to LG.

I had them taking one of Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez or Austin Corbett early for LG.

What do you do with Fant than? Assuming 100% he sure looked like he showed some definite promise. I don't think you want to sit him out another year from progression.

lukerguy
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• You have to wonder if this now makes Ifedi surplus to needs?
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Ifedi, Pocic, and Roos are going to have to work out the starting lineup with their play on the field and in practice.

My guess is that Pocic ends up the swing guy, backing up multiple positions. If Pocic puts on 15 pounds of muscle then he's got a chance, but he just wasn't strong enough as a rook.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Played for Solari, plus run blocker, negative in pass. It’s a fine signing if the $$$ is right. If it’s anywhere near Joeckel territory then it’s a mistake.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• jammerhawk wrote:You have to wonder if this now makes Ifedi surplus to needs?

Looks more like a $4-5M fire was lit under his ass to me.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• lukerguy wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    lukerguy wrote:FLuker has graded around 70+ at RT in his career, so perhaps they plan to move him to RT and push Fant to LG.

What do you do with Fant than? Assuming 100% he sure looked like he showed some definite promise. I don't think you want to sit him out another year from progression.

Fant has never done anything to secure a prognosis as an NFL starter. He's one of the most overhyped players in recent Seattle history. He's as likely to get cut next year as he is to stay on as a backup.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Fant is on his rookie contract. Let him sit behind Brown for a year and be injury insurance. Brown only has a year left on his contract anyway.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• I would rather have Fluker at RT. His length works much better on the perimeter, where he can engulf defenders with his massive wingspan.

Move Ifedi back to his more natural RG position. Have Fant train behind both OTs in the event of an injury to Fluker or Brown. It's going to take Fant some time to adjust to playing on the right side, anyway.

Brown, Fant
    Roos, Pocic
    Britt, Pocic
    Ifedi, Pocic
    Fluker, Fant
    Last edited by hawknation2018 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:I would rather have Fluker at RT. His length works much better on the perimeter, where he can engulf defenders with his massive wingspan.

Footwork is a mess, from what I've read. He's been moved to guard to mitigate that.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• vin.couve12 wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:I would rather have Fluker at RT. His length works much better on the perimeter, where he can engulf defenders with his massive wingspan.

Footwork is a mess, from what I've read. He's been moved to guard to mitigate that.

His footwork TECHNIQUE is excellent. He's just very slow footed. But his arm length makes up for that.

Take a look for yourself. :D
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• This is a start to begin to fix the mess created by Coach Fable with the OLine.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• vin.couve12 wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:I would rather have Fluker at RT. His length works much better on the perimeter, where he can engulf defenders with his massive wingspan.

And Physically there is not much that separates the two players. Coming out of college, they were physically very close

DJ Fluker
    Weight - 339
    Height - 76.63 Inches
    Arms - 36.68
    Hands - 10.50
    40 Yard - 5.31
    Bench - 21

Germain Ifedi
    Weight - 324
    Height - 77.75 Inches
    Arms - 36
    Hands - 10.75
    40 Yard - 5.27
    Bench - 24

Fluker is a little a little shorter, a bit heavier, but not as strong as Ifedi coming out of college. If anything, the more "athletic" Ifedi comps out better at RT than Fluker. Both have struggled at times in pass protection with edge rushers....
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter

• Adds stability. I like. Solari probably said compared to what you got fluker is a pro bowler. All I know is that ifedi can’t play worse than last year. Right ?
    Kinger95
    NET Practice Squad

• Spleenhawk2.0 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:

And Physically there is not much that separates the two players. Coming out of college, they were physically very close

DJ Fluker
    Weight - 339
    Height - 76.63 Inches
    Arms - 36.68
    Hands - 10.50
    40 Yard - 5.31
    Bench - 21

Germain Ifedi
    Weight - 324
    Height - 77.75 Inches
    Arms - 36
    Hands - 10.75
    40 Yard - 5.27
    Bench - 24

Fluker is a little a little shorter, a bit heavier, but not as strong as Ifedi coming out of college. If anything, the more "athletic" Ifedi comps out better at RT than Fluker. Both have struggled at times in pass protection with edge rushers....

Ifedi is way more explosive on tape. Fluker didn't test in the broad jump, vertical, shuttles, etc.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• He was a road grader for the Giants at a published 6'-5" 345 lbs.

It is early enough in the process for him to benefit from Seattle's strength and conditioning and nutrition programs prior to OTAs.

New Year. New Team. New Program. He is 27 years of age now. Time to mature into becoming best he can be.

Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• The o-line competition will be fierce during camps and preseason! It seems like only Brown and Britt are pencilled in, and the last 3 starting spots will be between Ifedi, Fluker, Pocic, Roos, and Fant + any rookies that are drafted or signed. I think Roos might push really hard for one of the guard spots.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Yes! Down for anything that increases the competition at OL.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Played under Solari in NY, and was graded WORSE than Luke Joekel. Don’t see this as an upgrade. Looks a lot like another James Carpenter.

I’d have preferred to sign Andrew Norwell, and draft Will Hernandez. That would have significantly improved our interior line. Applying band-aids hasn’t worked, and it won’t work this season either.

Thankfully it’s only a one year deal.
    ben@thetabs
    THE TABS
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• We can plug him in at RT, and have Dixon pass block for him.
    I hope he can catch!
    GET YOUR EAR PLUGS READY!!!
    TheHawkster
    * NET Bad Ass *

• Another 2013 draft bust, that was #11 overall.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

• For what it is worth this early in the process ........
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Seymour wrote:I think Fluker may be a good signing . . .

5 minutes later. :lol:
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:I think Fluker may be a good signing . . .

5 minutes later. :lol:

Quit cutting out the key words and stirring up crap.
    Do you understand what "may means" and "I need to double check means."?

Your agenda is pretty clear.

Seymour wrote:I think Fluker may be a good signing, but IIRC there was injury concern. I'll have to double check that though.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• If you thought he could be a good signing 5 minutes ago, then do you really have enough information now to know it is definitely a poor signing?

Just sayin'. 8)
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:Another 2013 draft bust, that was #11 overall.

What do you know of the player outside his PFF scores from last year.. because your opinion has done one of the quicker and more extreme 180s i've seen on here in some time
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• hawknation2018 wrote:If you thought he could be a good signing 5 minutes ago, then do you really have enough information now to know it is definitely a poor signing?

Just sayin'. 8)

Says the guy ..
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Pack it in...
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:If you thought he could be a good signing 5 minutes ago, then do you really have enough information now to know it is definitely a poor signing?

Just sayin'. 8)

Says the guy

Logic says
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Stay on topic
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information