Solari's big moment for the fan simpleton

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The tape suggests D.J. Fluker and Germain Ifedi may play better at RT and RG, respectively. The loosely-regarded rating service, PFF, happens to reflect this position.

Last season, Tom Cable stated that he viewed Ifedi as a very-good RT. Also last season, Mike Solari used Fluker more at RG than RT, with mixed results. For what it's worth, Fluker's agent says he will start out competing at RG.

What say The Aristocrats?

:irishdrinkers:

26tl0q

original poster

Reaction score
The RG thing could very well be smoke and mirrors. Seems a bit odd that his agent is saying that at all in honesty.

I'm confident in saying I think the line will look like this come next season, assuming they go heavy on the power run and not zone stuff. If they do go power run it likely leaves Pocic on the bench which isn't such a bad thing for now, depends how strong he can get this offseason but even if he comes back massive I still think Ifedi/Fluker on the right side is better.

LT - Duane Brown
LG - Rookie (Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, Austin Corbett or even Wyatt Teller)
C - Justin Britt
RG - Germain Ifedi
RT - DJ Fluker (tagging on Ed Dickson at the end to support the passing game)

Fant will be a valuable back up at LT

Pocic can backup LG, C & RG with ease without seeing minimal drop-off

Roos/Odhiambo are likely fighting for the same roster spot

Given how versatile a lot of their lineman are this year, I wouldn't be shocked to see they carry one less at the start of the season and add an extra RB onto the roster.

I really, really hope Solari drops zone blocking and goes power run, this line is much better built for it.

Ifedi will seriously benefit from fresh coaching and moving back to RG, I am confident he will surprise a lot of people here next season. Having him at guard will also likely lower his penalties, too.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Overhearing two drunk Irishmen in a bar, "They decided to pay 'RG prices' for a starting RT (the brilliantly-named, Fluker) as opposed to paying 'LT prices' for a starting LG (there must be a pun there somewhere, Luke Joeckel). Well done? We hope."

:irishdrinkers:

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
original poster":2p4b2yhh said:
The RG thing could very well be smoke and mirrors. Seems a bit odd that his agent is saying that at all in honesty.

I'm confident in saying I think the line will look like this come next season, assuming they go heavy on the power run and not zone stuff. If they do go power run it likely leaves Pocic on the bench which isn't such a bad thing for now, depends how strong he can get this offseason but even if he comes back massive I still think Ifedi/Fluker on the right side is better.

LT - Duane Brown
C - Justin Britt
RG - Germain Ifedi

Given how versatile a lot of their lineman are this year, I wouldn't be shocked to see they carry one less at the start of the season and add an extra RB onto the roster.

I really, really hope Solari drops zone blocking and goes power run, this line is much better built for it.

Ifedi will seriously benefit from fresh coaching and moving back to RG, I am confident he will surprise a lot of people here next season. Having him at guard will also likely lower his penalties, too.

You really think that is going to be the OL lineup? I have a hard time believing they are going to draft another 1st rd OL pick. They currently have 3 1st rd OL and 2 2nd rd OL. They also don't have a ton of draft picks and your lineup suggests giving up on Pocic already. I think it would go something more like this

LT - Brown
LG - Pocic
C - Britt
RG - Fluker
RT - Ifedi

Then use that 1st rd pick to trade back and grab a RB or just grab the best RB on the board.

original poster

Reaction score
Yes I do.

Obviously not saying it 'will' happen. But I would be surprised if they didn't tap into one of the drafts biggest strengths this year, interior offensive lineman.

It may not be a first rounder, but I am confident the first pick will be an interior lineman or, in the event they manage to get another second or third (at a push), it'll be the second pick.

Isaiah Wynn could likely be had somewhere in the 18-28 range, Will Hernandez between 29 and 35 with Corbett and Teller probably lasting into the late second, maybe early third.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I started rewatching Giants gamers after Solari was hired and came away thinking Flucker was going to be a big target based on his run blocking and Pete's refocus on running the football. Flucker is a guard- no question. Pocic is our LG going int o the season, I call him Baby (TG) Lang. Britt, Flucker, and Ifedi will be moving d-lineman next year in our new scheme.

We just got better.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Excited to see how Pocic looks after his first NFL workout regimen. Sounds like he was very focused on bulking up. Fundamentals are fine, just got overpowered.

I think Duane browns veteran presence during TC will be good for the young guys too. He knows what needs to be done.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm surprised that some have given up on Pocic already. He looks to have a nasty side to him, and some potential. How quickly people forget how bad Britt looked his first couple years. It takes time to develop on the line.

original poster

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":o8qex2pj said:
I'm surprised that some have given up on Pocic already. He looks to have a nasty side to him, and some potential. How quickly people forget how bad Britt looked his first couple years. It takes time to develop on the line.

I certainly haven't given up on Pocic at all.

It's simply a case of fielding the best 5 and if Seattle drafts an interior lineman early it could move Pocic down the depth chart.

With Fluker only being a one year deal, it is entirely possible that if Pocic did lose his starting job this year, he could get it back the following year.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I have little doubt right guard is Fluker's job to lose. In all likelihood, this will come at the expense of someone like Glowinski's roster spot. Which, I wonder if a different coach could have gotten more out of guys like Glow and Odi. I think Odihambo is the dark horse of the line, I just have a feeling he'll get an opportunity somewhere and nail it.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I believe the hope is that Roos matures and takes over for Flucker next year. Pocic is better suited for LG.

Brown, Pocic, Britt, Flucker, Ifedi

D

DomeHawk

original poster":2nznq31m said:

LT - Duane Brown
C - Justin Britt
RG - Germain Ifedi

No way does Fluker play RT. That would be a disaster.

King Dog

Reaction score
nanomoz":3nmos525 said:
I have little doubt right guard is Fluker's job to lose. In all likelihood, this will come at the expense of someone like Glowinski's roster spot. Which, I wonder if a different coach could have gotten more out of guys like Glow and Odi. I think Odihambo is the dark horse of the line, I just have a feeling he'll get an opportunity somewhere and nail it.

Glowinski was released during the season.

I'm not high on Odihambo. I'm interested to see if Beavers and Roos can provide any help though.

kf3339

Reaction score
The only two somewhat sure things I see are Brown and Britt at LT and C respectively at this point. All other starting line positions will be competitive in OT and training camp this year. I also agree a 1st or 2nd (if we get a pick) will be for an OG prospect. Who I don't know.

But I really do hope that Solari can determine what scheme is best early and get the line in shape by the start of the regular season. To me that is the most important objective this season both for the run game and RW's health.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
the RG comment is a PC (politically correct, not Pete Carroll) way of not stepping on anyone's toes with Fluker's new team.

He and his agent know that he'll be competing for RT, but because that was Ifedi's position least year they're not going to publicly come out and say that's where Fluker's going to play, or even wants to play.

But make no mistake, those two, along with Fant will be competing for the RT position.

original poster

Reaction score
DomeHawk":21epvayo said:
original poster":21epvayo said:

LT - Duane Brown
C - Justin Britt
RG - Germain Ifedi

Could you elaborate please, Dome?

I disagree but all for hearing something that may change my mind :2thumbs:

HawkGA

Reaction score
original poster":j631l6x4 said:

LT - Duane Brown
C - Justin Britt
RG - Germain Ifedi

I will be willing to bet (somebody else's money) that a rookie isn't starting at LG.

Kinger95

Reaction score
Not to be a downer but we’re gonna have injuries. And at this point I wouldn’t count too much on ifefi. Add onto that brown and fluker are gonna be FA’s at seasons end we still have some work to do on the o-line. At least if you took one of the top 5 guys in the draft they’re 10 year guys and that’s what we need at this point for Wilson. Keeping him healthy/on the field/alive is important

D

DomeHawk

original poster":y6knpgdp said:
DomeHawk":y6knpgdp said:
original poster":y6knpgdp said:

LT - Duane Brown
C - Justin Britt
RG - Germain Ifedi

Could you elaborate please, Dome?

I disagree but all for hearing something that may change my mind :2thumbs:

All you have to do is listen to the sport's people from NY and Dago that have watched him a lot. They have been interviewing them nonstop on the radio. He's a power-run guy whose weakness is stunts, slides, and DE's who can run around you. Not a recipe for a OT. They all say that he would be valuable at OG w/a dependable tackle next to him.

And, I'm sorry but I have never heard of a OT depending on a TE for pass protection, they can help at times but if that is your strategy you have just decided to play w/a 10-man offensive squad.