Thorpe

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Thorpe was the initial starter at RCB in training camp last year before being taken over by Griffin. Might not sound like much, but we payed 1.5M to retain him and he's making 2.1M this year. It illustrates that the coaching staff has confidence in him.

He isn't some slouch athlete either. He ran a 4.40 flat and had a 38 inch vert and was also a bigtime track athlete. All of his combine measurements are well beyond that of Richard Sherman, for instance. He's really tough as well, being one of our single best ST players that isn't afraid to stick his nose in there. Quite the contrary. The times that he has gotten on the field in active duty at CB, he's been impressive as well. He has no problems keeping up on the deep ball and actually gets his head around and tracks the ball. His speed lends him the ability to do that, unlike some corners we've had.

I know a lot of folks want Maxwell back and that's probably a good idea at some measure of a minimal cost. We'll probably draft a CB as well and have our eyes on some UDFAs as well as possibly signing another FA.

All that said, if Thorpe is starting for us game 1 even with added competition, don't be surprised or even downplay the draft pick or FA pickup or whatever. You may actually be pleasantly surprised.

12forlife

Reaction score
vin.couve12":101w340p said:
Thorpe was the initial starter at RCB in training camp last year before being taken over by Griffin. Might not sound like much, but we payed 1.5M to retain him and he's making 2.1M this year. It illustrates that the coaching staff has confidence in him.

He isn't some slouch athlete either. He ran a 4.40 flat and had a 38 inch vert and was also a bigtime track athlete. All of his combine measurements are well beyond that of Richard Sherman, for instance. He's really tough as well, being one of our single best ST players that isn't afraid to stick his nose in there. Quite the contrary. The times that he has gotten on the field in active duty at CB, he's been impressive as well. He has no problems keeping up on the deep ball and actually gets his head around and tracks the ball. His speed lends him the ability to do that, unlike some corners we've had.

I know a lot of folks want Maxwell back and that's probably a good idea at some measure of a minimal cost. We'll probably draft a CB as well and have our eyes on some UDFAs as well as possibly signing another FA.

All that said, if Thorpe is starting for us game 1 even with added competition, don't be surprised or even downplay the draft pick or FA pickup or whatever. You may actually be pleasantly surprised.

Don't we also still have the rookie from last year Mike Tyson in the mix?

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
12forlife":1glzw3jo said:
vin.couve12":1glzw3jo said:

Don't we also still have the rookie from last year Mike Tyson in the mix?
Yeah. I think they were in the car together a couple weeks ago. Coach said he reminded him of "Maxy," as he says. I can kind of see the resemblance, but his game will be more about being physical with WRs. He's not as fast as Maxwell, nor quite as aggressive.

Maxwell has a bit of a switch that hits and he gets angry strong. It was apparent from the beginning. We'll have to wait and see with Tyson.

[youtube]07fZQRU7G2Y[/youtube]

[youtube]o6O5LrHegXY[/youtube]

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Yeah, Maxwell is useful alright. He takes big, strong WRs, controls them with one hand, and punches like a boxer with the other all the time. If you catch the ball on him you need to bunker that ball real quick like. Guy has always been inordinately strong even for his size.

If we can't get that due to cost or even if we don't give it decent attempt, I do like Thorpe quite a bit. That would be two CBs around 6'2 that run 4.38 and 4.40 and both also jump through the roof. Both tough and physical actual football players. You could grow that like vegetables, especially Thorpe now having about 3 years in. Now would be the time. He should have a leg up on brand new to the team competition, vets or otherwise.

original poster

Reaction score
Very good points about Thorpe.

I'd always had Maxwell pegged in as the starter but this post has made me rethink that. Training camp and preseason is going to be awesome this year, genuine competition ALL over!

AgentDib

Reaction score
Thorpe got his deal last off-season entirely due to great special team play. He's our best gunner and was often faced with multiple blockers. He did get banged up a little bit and none of his salary this season is guaranteed, but I think he'll probably have a spot on the team again regardless of CB depth unless one of our young guys can take over that special teams role. His main competition may be the newly acquired Marcus Johnson or a rookie like Shaquem Griffin.

12forlife

Reaction score
original poster":19p0lzru said:
Very good points about Thorpe.

I'd always had Maxwell pegged in as the starter but this post has made me rethink that. Training camp and preseason is going to be awesome this year, genuine competition ALL over!

:ditto: I can't wait to see a bunch of young hungry chip on their shoulder guys out there busting their trying butts competing to earn playing time! Thing that makes this better then 2010, we have true mentors at every level, with Russell, Brown, BWag & ET, showing the young pups how to do it right!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Maxwell hasn't been signed anywhere else yet, which is hopefully a sign that we can get him without breaking the bank.

Jville

Reaction score
Niko Thorpe was a key signing last year. In my mind, he was the early on replacement for an injured DeShawn Shead. Full disclosure ...... I'm a fan of both defensive backs.

So looking forward to seeing Thorpe compete in year two of his Seahawk story. Anticipating an expanded and stronger impact in 2018.

I've missed Byron Maxwell. I still struggle with the thought of him playing anywhere else.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team is still trying to reach a deal with Maxie as per Condotta.

all the handwringing around here has failled to recognize there are some quite capable young players on the roster that were languishing b/c they couldn't get enough PT with more experienced player ahead of them.

Expect some real camp competitions this year.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I think it's sort of a safe thing to do with Max. You know what you get. I kind of want to see a step out towards the ledge though. I don't mean just Thorpe either. Competition is a must. I'm OK with either scenario on this front either way.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Isn’t the step out to the ledge, go for it type thinking what created the mess they are now fixing? Perhaps I misunderstand your remark?

I absolutely agree though with the competition is a must thinking and the winners get the jobs and the playing time. Seattle will again be desired location for players wanting a place where they have a shot a roster slot if they can compete. Too many players with assured roster spots creates limitations in that regard.

It was clearly time for some changes.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I think Thorpe had as good a chance to win the starting spot. While people say this is a rebuild, retool, reboot, etc., I just think it's going to be an open competition...a real open competition for the LCB spot. I see PC bring in a couple more CBs for TC and Preseason.

And, this isn't the first time PC has done this. In his first year, he basically cleaned house in the secondary. Josh Wilson, Deon Grant and big play Babs was replaced with Walter Thurmond, Roy Lewis, ET, and Lawyer Milloy. The only players left were Marcus Trufant and Kelly Jennings.

This time, PC is in a much better situation since we already have Griffin, Coleman, McDougal...maybe ET. The only question mark is LCB and history proves PC will find a player in a real open competition, something we haven't seen since the pre LOB years.

Really interested in seeing who emerges as the starter.

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
jammerhawk":82kk6h9e said:
Isn’t the step out to the ledge, go for it type thinking what created the mess they are now fixing? Perhaps I misunderstand your remark?

I absolutely agree though with the competition is a must thinking and the winners get the jobs and the playing time. Seattle will again be desired location for players wanting a place where they have a shot a roster slot if they can compete. Too many players with assured roster spots creates limitations in that regard.

It was clearly time for some changes.
Nah, I tend to think stepping out on the ledge is what got us a lot of talent out on the field getting actual game experience towards the beginning. I think we've been more conservative in the last few years in terms of letting young guys prove themselves, and instead go with the 30 some odd year old vet get all those snaps. I like the Tom Johnson signing, for instance, but I'd also like to see a young kid get a serious, legitimate chance to be that 3rd down rusher on the inside and not just hand over the keys.

In short, I think the "compete" in Pete has been a little bit of bullshit the last few years.