What ever happened to the tall WR?

truehawksfan

Reaction score
PC was known for having tall WRs at USC and in his early years he tried to replicate that.

In his first year, 2010, he signed the 6-5 Mike Williams

The following year, he signed 6-4 Sidney Rice and drafted 6-5 Kris Durham

But, since then, the only WR he signed that's at least 6-4 is Tanner McEvoy in 2016. Everyone else is 6-2 or shorter.

The reason why I'm bringing this up? PC wants to go back to what made his teams successful, a punishing run game. But, he also liked the mismatches his tall WRs created at USC. Do you think he will try to incorporate this, having a tall WR, onto his wish list?

James in PA

Reaction score
Pete still likes them. They’ve shown interest in Pryor. It’s just that tall WR’s who are worth a darn and actually available are not easy to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team has quickly gained size at WR this last season and this off season with the additions of Marcus Johnson 6'2" and Jaron Brown 6'3" along with Darboh 6'2" and David Moore 6'1" all 6 foot plus. If the team keeps McEvoy 6'6" or adds Pryor 6'5" the WR group will all average over 6 feet. Saving Baldwin, Lockett and Grayson 5'10" or under, the short guy at 6'1" is Moore.

netskier

Reaction score
James in PA":31xohau8 said:
Pete still likes them. They’ve shown interest in Pryor. It’s just that tall WR’s who are worth a darn and actually available are not easy to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete still likes them, but prefers blockers over them. Pete just let Aaron Rodgers snap up Jimmy Graham, all six foot SEVEN of him, so watch this spot.

Graham thinks of himself as a WR, but one his slave masters stuffed into the Tight End position. New Orleans deployed him, IIRC, more as a WR but only paid him as a TE, and Jimmy went to court challenging this, and lost. Having made their point, the New Orleans exported their square-peg in a round-hole problem to Seattle.

Pete won the battle with Graham, but the Seahawks lost the war, and Aaron Rodgers won it. Watch Graham's stats bloom next season.

12forlife

Reaction score
Well depending on how they want to work the draft. There is Mike Gesicki TE likely 2-3th rd or Allan Lazard WR 4-5th rd. Both are 6'5". Gesicki is a mismatch nightmare, and a willing blocker, that would be a nice change of pace :2thumbs:

original poster

Reaction score
This draft isn't great at WR by any means, but one thing is does have is good mid round talent with tall receivers.

J'Mon Moore
Allan Lazard
Marcell Ateman
Auden Tate

Are all guys I've checked out that fit the bill and will be available in the mid rounds.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
6'2" is not short by any means..
Do we need taller?I mean RW seems to like throwing low balls to taller WR's..

AgentDib

Reaction score
You can find tall relatively athletic receivers in college fairly easily. The big ones who NFL caliber athletic and have great hands are extremely rare and earn $$$: Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, Mike Evans, AJ Green, etc. If you have to choose between attributes you are better off giving up height first, as some of the best NFL WR out there are 5'10" - 6'1" guys like Baldwin, Hopkins, Beckham, Antonio Brown, etc.

The main argument in favor of a bigger receiver has to do with redzone production when the field is short and vertical space is more valuable as a result. People argue that it's also important for 3rd down possession receivers but that's pretty suspect when you look at how many great possession receivers over the last decade have been undersized slot guys.

12forlife

Reaction score
A big redzone threat would be a nice piece to the puzzle. Don't care if it is one of the several in this draft that could be had in the 5th rd, or a trade for Martavious Bryant. I'm personally tired of slant pass after slant pass.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
The answer to big WRs is big corners. We started that here, but it was adopted by several teams around the NFL. No way would Willie Williams be signed in today's NFL.

Those larger corners in turn devaluate big receivers. The answer to big corners is smaller, quicker receivers who can get separation. It'll swing back the other way eventually.

OP
OP
T

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I also forgot to recognize 6-5 Chris Matthews, the guy who recovered the onside kick against the Packers in the NFC Championship game and had 4 rec. for 109 yds and a TD in the Super Bowl.

What ever happened to this guy?

Jville

Reaction score
truehawksfan":10wc3s7x said:
I also forgot to recognize 6-5 Chris Matthews, the guy who recovered the onside kick against the Packers in the NFC Championship game and had 4 rec. for 109 yds and a TD in the Super Bowl.

What ever happened to this guy?

Currently a free agent. He last played in Baltimore where he appeared in 10 games from the time he was claimed in 2014 thru 2017. To date, a rather limited mismatch wonder.

Quickness and influence are productive tools ..........

[youtube]MtcYITLmHrE[/youtube]

............................................................................... no doubt about it.