Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

What ever happened to the tall WR?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
What ever happened to the tall WR?
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:21 pm
  • PC was known for having tall WRs at USC and in his early years he tried to replicate that.

In his first year, 2010, he signed the 6-5 Mike Williams

The following year, he signed 6-4 Sidney Rice and drafted 6-5 Kris Durham

But, since then, the only WR he signed that's at least 6-4 is Tanner McEvoy in 2016. Everyone else is 6-2 or shorter.

The reason why I'm bringing this up? PC wants to go back to what made his teams successful, a punishing run game. But, he also liked the mismatches his tall WRs created at USC. Do you think he will try to incorporate this, having a tall WR, onto his wish list?
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

Re: What ever happened to the tall WR?
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:46 pm
  • Pete still likes them. They’ve shown interest in Pryor. It’s just that tall WR’s who are worth a darn and actually available are not easy to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:56 pm
  • The team has quickly gained size at WR this last season and this off season with the additions of Marcus Johnson 6'2" and Jaron Brown 6'3" along with Darboh 6'2" and David Moore 6'1" all 6 foot plus. If the team keeps McEvoy 6'6" or adds Pryor 6'5" the WR group will all average over 6 feet. Saving Baldwin, Lockett and Grayson 5'10" or under, the short guy at 6'1" is Moore.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:13 pm
  • James in PA wrote:Pete still likes them. They’ve shown interest in Pryor. It’s just that tall WR’s who are worth a darn and actually available are not easy to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete still likes them, but prefers blockers over them. Pete just let Aaron Rodgers snap up Jimmy Graham, all six foot SEVEN of him, so watch this spot.

Graham thinks of himself as a WR, but one his slave masters stuffed into the Tight End position. New Orleans deployed him, IIRC, more as a WR but only paid him as a TE, and Jimmy went to court challenging this, and lost. Having made their point, the New Orleans exported their square-peg in a round-hole problem to Seattle.

Pete won the battle with Graham, but the Seahawks lost the war, and Aaron Rodgers won it. Watch Graham's stats bloom next season.
    Netskier
    netskier
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:30 pm
  • Well depending on how they want to work the draft. There is Mike Gesicki TE likely 2-3th rd or Allan Lazard WR 4-5th rd. Both are 6'5". Gesicki is a mismatch nightmare, and a willing blocker, that would be a nice change of pace :2thumbs:
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:36 pm
  • This draft isn't great at WR by any means, but one thing is does have is good mid round talent with tall receivers.

J'Mon Moore
    Allan Lazard
    Marcell Ateman
    Auden Tate

Are all guys I've checked out that fit the bill and will be available in the mid rounds.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:43 pm
  • 6'2" is not short by any means..
    Do we need taller?I mean RW seems to like throwing low balls to taller WR's..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:28 am
  • I miss BMW
    "...and now they got a bicycle!"
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:47 am
  • Sac wrote:I miss BMW

Joe J for me...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:09 am
  • I miss Jordan Kent. Heh, remember him?
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:21 am
  • Trrrroy wrote:I miss Jordan Kent. Heh, remember him?

*trick question alert*

What was your favourite reception he made?
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 am
  • Honestly can't remember a single one.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:34 am
  • Trrrroy wrote:Honestly can't remember a single one.

Good answer, he didn’t make a single catch here :)
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:00 pm
  • Trrrroy wrote:I miss Jordan Kent. Heh, remember him?

He is now the studio host for the Trailblazer broadcasts. Also hosts the show Talking Ducks.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:45 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:59 pm
  • You can find tall relatively athletic receivers in college fairly easily. The big ones who NFL caliber athletic and have great hands are extremely rare and earn $$$: Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, Mike Evans, AJ Green, etc. If you have to choose between attributes you are better off giving up height first, as some of the best NFL WR out there are 5'10" - 6'1" guys like Baldwin, Hopkins, Beckham, Antonio Brown, etc.

The main argument in favor of a bigger receiver has to do with redzone production when the field is short and vertical space is more valuable as a result. People argue that it's also important for 3rd down possession receivers but that's pretty suspect when you look at how many great possession receivers over the last decade have been undersized slot guys.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:29 pm
  • A big redzone threat would be a nice piece to the puzzle. Don't care if it is one of the several in this draft that could be had in the 5th rd, or a trade for Martavious Bryant. I'm personally tired of slant pass after slant pass.
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:46 pm
  • The answer to big WRs is big corners. We started that here, but it was adopted by several teams around the NFL. No way would Willie Williams be signed in today's NFL.

Those larger corners in turn devaluate big receivers. The answer to big corners is smaller, quicker receivers who can get separation. It'll swing back the other way eventually.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:53 pm
  • I also forgot to recognize 6-5 Chris Matthews, the guy who recovered the onside kick against the Packers in the NFC Championship game and had 4 rec. for 109 yds and a TD in the Super Bowl.

What ever happened to this guy?
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:33 pm
  • truehawksfan wrote:I also forgot to recognize 6-5 Chris Matthews, the guy who recovered the onside kick against the Packers in the NFC Championship game and had 4 rec. for 109 yds and a TD in the Super Bowl.

What ever happened to this guy?

Currently a free agent. He last played in Baltimore where he appeared in 10 games from the time he was claimed in 2014 thru 2017. To date, a rather limited mismatch wonder.

Quickness and influence are productive tools ..........

............................................................................... no doubt about it.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:49 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information