Future K, P, LS, FB

cheese22

Reaction score
I'd like to see the FO make the unglamorous positions (K, P, FB, LS) more of a priority. It seems like the really good teams are either strong there, or at least don't have problems there.
A good blocking/receiving FB is key to a good running game and an extra weapon in the passing game.
Having a reliable P and LS is one less worry when you have consistent guys.
And we know all too well what a bad kicker can do to a season.
So why not use a couple of those 7th rounders (even a 5th on Flowers or a stud K) or prioritize a couple undrafted FA to build with? Not to mention the money saved by signing guys on rookie contracts.
Anyone else think we need to make those positions of strength or am I over analyzing?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Yeah, but isn't that like picking up condiments for your dinner?
You have to get the dinner stuff first and then go pick up the ketchup what ever.

We gotta get the beef first.

D

DomeHawk

Bobblehead":20203wo6 said:
Yeah, but isn't that like picking up condiments for your dinner?
You have to get the dinner stuff first and then go pick up the ketchup what ever.

We gotta get the beef first.

:ditto: Prioritize

12forlife

Reaction score
I would take Flowers with one of our 5th rd picks in a heartbeat. As far as a kicker & punter, I agree we should use a couple 7th rd picks there aswell to get "their guy" or try to even trade up to get Dickson. I wish we had the draft picks to get all the "beef" we need, but that isn't going to happen in 1 draft. Our ST needs a massive upgrade, as it is a very overlooked part of the game, look @ what Walsh did to us last year, and we are over paying Ryan for what he has done for us the last 2 seasons. An elite punter like Dickson can help a rebuilding D in a big way.

chris98251

Reaction score
Part of our problem is injuries, coverage when we were the Nasty Boys was done by a lot of our starters, when they started to make a name for themselves and started getting dinged we had others replacing them, our coverage suffered and Ryans average suffered.

FB is something many of us that understand the running game and how to support it has been needed for a while, playing roster roulette with Reese was a mistake, he could have been a big factor last year and Robinson was key in our success as well.

We seen what happens without a consistent Long Snapper I think were good now.

Kickers, it's about the snap, the hold and the confidence, then the leg.

Walsh had no confidence and doubted himself a lot.

We just need a guy has a proven average that has a great sense of confidence and then a consistent holder and snapper,

original poster

Reaction score
We ERFA tendered our long snapper, Tyler Ott so the team are obviously perfectly happy with him.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I've been an advocate for this place kicker (Oakes) for some time. IMO, stats are the most important for place kickers more so than any other position. Of course, holds & snaps have to be on target, but kicker consistency is paramount. One of last years biggest problems were those missed kicks by Walsh that flat out lost a couple of games & also contributed to other losses. A fix is greatly needed and this kid will likely go in Rd-7. Well worth the investment IMO.

PK-Griffin Oakes, Indiana, 5-10/198, #285-overall, Proj. Rd-7/FA with up arrow. (Teams sleeping on him?)
2017: 16 of 17, 94.1% on field goals; 38 of 39, 97.4% on extra points. *Both misses were blocks*. Ranked 2-nd in FBS in field goal % (to Pinero) 15 of 15 from inside the 50-yd. line, including 4 of 4 from 40-49-yds. Averaged 62.0-yds on 62 kickoffs with 32 touchbacks, a 51.6 touchback %. Converted 1 of 3 onside kick attempts. Ended the season with 11 straight field goals made (that would have been a much larger # without the one blocked). Also of consideration, he played at Indiana against some pretty good teams, he's not a Podunk U. type of guy level of competition wise.

PUNTERS:
Likely UDFA's or Rd-7 at worst: ***** MY CHOICE = Daniels.*****
NOTE: Dickson will likely be drafted in the Rd-5/6 area as his reputation for hang time is excellent, but not all that much better, if at all, than the two below in terms of punt average distances. He is slightly over-hyped, IMO.

--Johnny Townsend, Florida, 6-005/202, ranked #208-overall, projected Rd-6/7 & also over-hyped, IMO.
2017: average 47.55-yds per punt with a long of 70-yds.
2016: average 47.89-yds per punt with a long of 62-yds.
2015: average 45.36-yds per punt with a long of 61-yds.

--Trevor Daniel, Tennessee, 6-05/227, ranked #999-overall, projected UDFA
(SEC kicker, should be a Hawks target?)
2017: average 47.47-yds per punt with a long of 72-yds.
2016: average 44.57-yds per punt with a long of 70-yds.
2015: average 45.70-yds per punt with a long of 61-yds.
:smilingalien:

12forlife

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":17vjyzfq said:
There is absolutely no reason to ever draft a kicker.

egh.... I would agree, but in our position with have 3 7th rd picks, why not spend one to make sure we get "our guy". It's not like besides Chris Carson we have hit on any 6th-7th rd picks in the last 4 yrs.

Chapow

Reaction score
12forlife":2gsi1636 said:
Hasselbeck":2gsi1636 said:
There is absolutely no reason to ever draft a kicker.

egh.... I would agree, but in our position with have 3 7th rd picks, why not spend one to make sure we get "our guy". It's not like besides Chris Carson we have hit on any 6th-7th rd picks in the last 4 yrs.

^This. It won't bother me in the least if they use a mid to late 7th round pick to get the kicker they want. It is extremely unlikely that any 7th round pick is going to do anything anyway.

It would be pretty stupid to miss out on a good kicker because you refused to use pick #248 on the guy you want because you have some hard and fast rule of never drafting a kicker.