Summer talk : Amara Darboh's potential and issues

toffee

Reaction score
We invested a 3rd round on this guy and he truly didn't do much in '17. Any insights?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Too soon to know, he has solid measureables, he needs to make the most of his opportunities. Lots of rookie WRs need a period of adjustment to understand their responsibilities and to acquire the functional strength to beat the press coverages and being where the QB wants him to be.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
But he has hardly on the field last season and position coaches obviously felt the need to sign more WRs this off season?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Take this FWIW ... but Brock Huard reminded listeners this week that outside of QB, probably the next hardest position to translate to the NFL is wide receiver. There is a huge learning curve often times. Why? It because in college, you only ever face a small handful of DB's who are truly elite talents. You may not see a lot of bump and run coverage -- guys who will really be able to stick with you, mirror you, challenge you, for every reception you make. In the NFL -- shoot, there are LOTS of really good cover CB's. It's welcome to the big boys club. Every week it's a battle.

So, I don't know if there has been that same kind of natural learning curve with Darboh, but I truly suspect there has been. I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case. The number of WR's who can be elite right out of the gates (the Julio Jones' of the world) -- are very few and far between. More times than not, there is a transition period. Even Jerry Rice wasn't Jerry Rice in year 1 right out of the gates.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Golden Tate and Paul Richardson both took 2 years to show anything. Jury is still out on Darboh. He should have plenty of opportunity to get snaps this year.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Maybe he will surprise us.

Good size and speed. Smooth route runner, but he doesn't run with any suddenness. He's not a Baldwin/Lockett/Brown short-area-quickness type. Also lacks balance after the catch. I think they saw similarities to Jermaine Kearse.

He had a couple missed opportunities last year. Russell lofted up a perfect pass to him against Green Bay between three defenders that would have been a 40+ yard TD if Darboh hadn't dropped it when he went to the ground. Also, he had a 16-yard reception against the Giants on a play where he was wide open, but he tripped and fell when trying to turn upfield. On the plus side, Darboh looks like a very good blocker.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Love to be surprise, love to be proven wrong, sure hope he will be our next young Kearse. All the WRs we are signing lately got me worried was all.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
WR takes 2-3 years before realistic production.

Remember that Golden Tate, as good as he was later, was pretty inconsistent the first year and took almost another year to really show what he was going to become.

I'm not that optimistic on Darboh, but not because of anything he has or has not done on the field yet. I just didn't see much reason to be that excited based on the body of work he produced before he got here.

But...not producing much now doesn't at all mean anything bad.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Sure hope these guys were wrong:

STRENGTHS:
Good NFL size with above-average arm length. Experience in Michigan's pro-style passing attack. Saw increase in targets and responded with improved production. In 2016, had at least one catch of at least 30 yards in eight of first nine games, outplaying highly regarded teammate Jehu Chesson. Fluid working two-way releases from slot. Smooth transitions in his routes. Won't give away plant-and-go cuts to the post, allowing him to stay ahead of the cornerback. Heady player. Adjusts routes to create better throwing opportunities for quarterbacks. Accepts responsibility as blocker climbing up to cornerbacks with some urgency of engagement. Able to sustain his block when run play flows his way. Locks up back-side safety blocks.

WEAKNESSES;
Build-up runner who is slow to eat up cornerback cushion. Play speed appears to be average. Missing suddenness and twitch. Inconsistent release quickness against press. Could struggle to uncover against aggressive man coverage. Gradual sink into breaks alerts cornerbacks to slam on breaks and challenge the throw. Body catcher. Ball will beat him up and he suffers from focus drops. Needs to improve positioning against defensive backs. Rarely escapes a spirited tackle attempt. Not very dynamic after the catch.

BOTTOM LINE;
Darboh caught the attention of scouts from very early on in his final season at Michigan. Darboh's outstanding size will have some teams excited, but he needs to run well at the combine in order to be targeted as a "size/speed" prospect. He lacks the quickness and hands to make a living underneath, but has the physical traits and willingness to help as a blocker that could get teams to bite on the second day of the draft (Rounds 2-3). Scheme fit could determine whether he becomes a WR2 or just a guy fighting for snaps off the bench.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2557905

vin.couve12

Reaction score
See, I see a strong hands receiver that plucks with no ball movement even in contested catches. Good body to play X in our system. Plenty of speed at that size and I think he's a bit smoother of an athlete than Kearse as well as being more explosive and sudden.

You kind of waste Baldwin at X and you really don't even attempt to put Lockett there. It would be foolish. The starting position is going to come down to Darboh and Brown. Brown actually has had a decent, sort of start up NFL season so you'd think that he has the leg up, but Darboh has been with us and in JS's words, fought through that rookie wall mid-season and started to get himself on the field by the end of the season. He should take some big steps forward here. Again, he's got all the traits for a legit X receiver. Brown does as well though so it's going to be a battle. It would be silly to write Darboh off though even if he doesn't get the nod. He'll be 4th string at worst and should still get on the field even without injury and it will only be his 2nd season.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3tdmov33 said:
See, I see a strong hands receiver that plucks with no ball movement even in contested catches. Good body to play X in our system. Plenty of speed at that size and I think he's a bit smoother of an athlete than Kearse as well as being more explosive and sudden.

You kind of waste Baldwin at X and you really don't even attempt to put Lockett there. It would be foolish. The starting position is going to come down to Darboh and Brown. Brown actually has had a decent, sort of start up NFL season so you'd think that he has the leg up, but Darboh has been with us and in JS's words, fought through that rookie wall mid-season and started to get himself on the field by the end of the season. He should take some big steps forward here. Again, he's got all the traits for a legit X receiver. Brown does as well though so it's going to be a battle. It would be silly to write Darboh off though even if he doesn't get the nod. He'll be 4th string at worst and should still get on the field even without injury and it will only be his 2nd season.

Great post.

Darboh would have to the favorite for the 'X' position. Good size and speed for the position, great blocker, and dependable. Re-watching some plays from last season, Darboh ran some tight routes and got open quite a bit, even if he wasn't getting the ball much. Darboh is bigger than Brown, but maybe with less explosive playmaking potential.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1v2oc333 said:
vin.couve12":1v2oc333 said:

Great post.

Darboh would have to the favorite for the 'X' position. Good size and speed for the position, great blocker, and dependable. Re-watching some plays from last season, Darboh ran some tight routes and got open quite a bit, even if he wasn't getting the ball much. Darboh is bigger than Brown, but maybe with less explosive playmaking potential.
I can agree with that. Brown's 40 at the combine was just a hair faster than Richardson's so it's safe to say that he's more explosive, but not by much.

One thing that stuck out to me in watching vids of Darboh last year was that his QB had almost a peewee league arm. He underthrew nearly every single ball he ever threw and so Darboh only got so many chances at catches with arm extension. Many he had to come back for and thus you see quite a few box out body catches, but that's not because it's what he does, per se. It's because that ball was just that underthrown. I do think Brown will give him a run for his money though.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2ilhou5j said:
hawknation2018":2ilhou5j said:
vin.couve12":2ilhou5j said:

Great post.

I can agree with that. Brown's 40 at the combine was just a hair faster than Richardson's so it's safe to say that he's more explosive, but not by much.

One thing that stuck out to me in watching vids of Darboh last year was that his QB had almost a peewee league arm. He underthrew nearly every single ball he ever threw and so Darboh only got so many chances at catches with arm extension. Many he had to come back for and thus you see quite a few box out body catches, but that's not because it's what he does, per se. It's because that ball was just that underthrown. I do think Brown will give him a run for his money though.

LOL, true. Michigan has had some bad luck at QB.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Even though they have similar straight-line speed, I actually think Brown looks quicker and more agile than Richardson.

Compare their Pro Days agility times.

Richardson's short shuttle: 4.23
Brown's short shuttle: 4.07

Richardson's 3-cone: 6.98
Brown's 3-cone: 6.82

Brown's shuttle/3-cone times would have put him in the Top 10 of WRs at the combine. Interestingly, neither Brown nor Richardson had an especially impressive 10-yard split: 1.57 vs. 1.56. Both are probably better served as 'Z' deep route receivers. Lockett and Brown could be fighting each other for playing time.

Darboh gives them that bigger bodied, line of scrimmage blocking, possession receiver.

12forlife

Reaction score
toffee":3nyql5vc said:
Love to be surprise, love to be proven wrong, sure hope he will be our next young Kearse. All the WRs we are signing lately got me worried was all.

IMO it's all about PC/JS hedging their bets, and doing what they did in 2010, create as much competition at every position and see who wants to step up.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I like the 2 players some are comparing him to: Norwood and Kearse.

He can go other way, but it can take a couple of years for a player to develop. And, wasn't he hurt in the preseason limiting his time to practice and play? Didn't this cause a minor uproar because we kept him over Kasen Williams?

Anyway, for comparisons, in his 1st yr, Kearse played in 7 games, caught 3 balls. Darboh played in 16 games and caught 7 balls.

The following yr, Kearse appeared in 15 games and caught 22 balls....rest is history.

Also interested to see if the team drafts or picks up several as UDFA WRs to add competition.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3phyrdtj said:
Even though they have similar straight-line speed, I actually think Brown looks quicker and more agile than Richardson.

Compare their Pro Days agility times.

Richardson's short shuttle: 4.23
Brown's short shuttle: 4.07

Richardson's 3-cone: 6.98
Brown's 3-cone: 6.82

Brown's shuttle/3-cone times would have put him in the Top 10 of WRs at the combine. Interestingly, neither Brown nor Richardson had an especially impressive 10-yard split: 1.57 vs. 1.56. Both are probably better served as 'Z' deep route receivers. Lockett and Brown could be fighting each other for playing time.

Darboh gives them that bigger bodied, line of scrimmage blocking, possession receiver.
Some pretty good bullet points here. If Lockett were to get pushed back to a 4th WR role, it would only mean we got better. Lockett could then even maximize return efforts.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Ive seen Darboh run a maximum of 2 routes: Go and comeback.

I wouldn't say he's a "smooth" route runner or even a "route runner" until I see him run the full route tree.

John Schneider has said he can and does, but I never saw it!