Interesting take on Ifedi & development curve for OTs

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I don't agree that Germain Ifedi should remain at RT. I'm on board with Walter Jones, who is on record as saying that Ifedi's skill set would be better served inside at guard. Ifedi is an explosive north-south player, with weak lateral agility and poor usage of his length on the outside, which means he is a guard in my eyes.

But this is an interesting statistical analysis from Field Gulls on the standard developmental curve for NFL offensive tackles, so I thought I would post it here:
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/3/23/17 ... es-pbe-pff

On expectations of a PBE of 93.96 for second year tackles, Ifedi delivered a performance of 93.9, or just 0.06 below what would have been expected. How much better would Ifedi have needed to perform in 2017 to have met the 93.96 threshold? Based on my calculations, one less quarterback hit or hurry would have been enough to put Ifedi exactly on par with expectations.

In short, Ifedi delivered a performance a whopping 0.035 standard deviations behind the learning curve, which for a player who entered the NFL as extremely raw fundamentally is somewhat impressive.

Ifedi Chart

So in essence, Ifedi was almost average for a 2nd-year tackle. But are we really striving for average? And what happens when you factor in all the false starts and holds that were at least partially a result of Ifedi anticipating being beaten to the outside?

toffee

Reaction score
Our problemed child played RG in his first season before moving to RT in his second. He wasn't any good at RG either, I would let him competite for RT and hope that he will improve under new coaching.

Smellyman

Reaction score
toffee":mdany66o said:
Our problemed child played RG in his first season before moving to RT in his second. He wasn't any good at RG either, I would let him competite for RT and hope that he will improve under new coaching.

Rated worst in the league at guard I believe.

original poster

Reaction score
He really isn't bad at all in pass protection, its run protection he really struggles with.

I've been saying for a while now that I think Ifedi will be Britt 2.0.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Maybe he can improve under Solari but I think I’ve seen enough.

I’d prefer to see him gone. Too many penalties. Too many Russell Wilson splatters. Too little discipline.

original poster

Reaction score
Plus, the teams cap would go down if they cut him.

He's one of the safest players on the roster.

King Dog

Reaction score
That's a good point. According to this data anyway for pass blocking efficiency, Ifedi is about average for where he's supposed to be for a 2nd year Tackle. Only, it was his first year at Tackle.

My guess is Ifedi will really start to put things together in about his fourth year, and then someone else will sign him for a lot of money in the off season lol.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I think he starts....at tackle.

I don't know where he ranks in pass blocking, but we know Fluker is a great road blocking freight train, but struggles in pass blocking. Solari may overlook this because we signed Fluker knowing his weaknesses.

At least Ifedi fits Solari's one requirement: size. Out of curiosity I looked at the 2017 NYG OLine and this included: John Jerry (6-5 349) and Erick Flowers (6-5 324). Ifedi is 6-6 324.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
This is a good read . It's an article that features Ray Roberts' comments on Seattle's Oline, including Germain Ifedi's and Duane Brown's pass pro faulty techniques taught by Cable.

https://chawktalk.com/2018/01/11/o-line ... more-10795

What I also recall from listening live is Ray made the point that there was a vast difference in Ifedi's technique in college vs. what he diplayed last year at RT. He played with his arms extended so he had no punch to stop a bull rusher... and that his feet were much quicker in college than the retreat technique that Cable required of his tackles.

Looking forward to Solari's influence. Hopefully he will let his linemen play to their strengths and not dictate techniques that are passive and soft.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
It's almost laughable to see many posters making the same mistakes they did with Unger and Britt with Ifedi.

Both Unger and Britt struggled through 2 years of playing. There was a significant contingent on here saying they were trash and that they had "seen enough."

Only to have in years 3+ these 2 guys blossom as above average to pro-bowl caliber players. I think it's completely premature to label Ifedi a bust. I think we've got to see what he does in year 3 (2nd year at the same spot.)

Certainly it's possible he plateau and never reach his potential. It's also quite possible he takes another step forward and gives us productive play at RT.

I'lm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

original poster

Reaction score
jlwaters1":25cabvcx said:
It's almost laughable to see many posters making the same mistakes they did with Unger and Britt with Ifedi.

Both Unger and Britt struggled through 2 years of playing. There was a significant contingent on here saying they were trash and that they had "seen enough."

Only to have in years 3+ these 2 guys blossom as above average to pro-bowl caliber players. I think it's completely premature to label Ifedi a bust. I think we've got to see what he does in year 3 (2nd year at the same spot.)

Certainly it's possible he plateau and never reach his potential. It's also quite possible he takes another step forward and gives us productive play at RT.

I'lm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

This X1000.

Ifedi is the scape goat of this line, and it's unjust.

nanomoz

Reaction score
The observed regression of Duane Brown really makes me think Cable was a big part of the problem. Was it Mudd or Ballard that noted this? Can't remember.

At any rate, I hope and kind of expect big leaps from people like Ifedi, Britt, Pocic and others with Solari.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawknation2018":mk46xbah said:
But are we really striving for average?

For the O-line

YES!! - that would be awesome. Would be so happy with an average o-line

scutterhawk

Reaction score
toffee":2x3ymr5a said:
I agree....He gets Drafted fairly high, with the intention of UNDOING his fundamentals that were coached in College, and then gets discombobulated and re-coached to play Cable's ZB scheme, >technique< gets ignored, he then gets moved over to Tackle where he continues on with his struggles & crappy technique and people are surprised that there was no progression. lol
I think we'll find out soon enough if Solari can break him of his bad habits, or at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":3cdlyl6b said:
The year 2 to year 3 jump in that graph is crazy!

Yeah, all the way from just under 94 to 94.5? Is that even significant? What does it really mean?

All I know for sure is what my eyes tell me - Ifedi has been terrible. For anyone to think he will suddenly turn into Max Unger? Well, that’s extremely wishful thinking.