Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Davis to start over Carson?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Davis to start over Carson?
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:05 am
  • Yes, according to Jamey Eisenburg.

*Edited for typo
    Last edited by WindCityHawk on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Davis to start over Carson?
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:12 am
  • :laugh:

Does anybody really think that the first handoff in training camp will decide the starter for the season?
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:21 am
  • Does anybody feel comfortable with Chris Carson and Mike Davis being our 2 main running backs? Yuk.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:23 am
  • #1 Its telling you what they think of our RBs
    #2 We are drafting one or two RBs and so neither Davis or Carson will be our starter.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:29 am
  • I personally don’t buy into the Chris Carson hype.

He never showed anything in college, hence his draft position in the 7th round. In the 4 games that he played in for the Seahawks last season, he totally 208 yards and a 4.2 yard average over those 4 which is fine. But can he sustain that over 16 games? I'm not entirely convinced. His best game on an ‘average yards per carry’ basis was week 1 against the Packers where he averaged 6.5 yards but only had 6 carries. He was coming in with fresh legs and didn’t prove any sustained workload.

The one game where he did sustain a good workload as well as producing decent yards is week 2 vs the 49ers where he carried the ball 20 times for 93 yards (4.7 average). If he could keep that up, I’d totally buy in. But were talking about 1 game (against a team that finished 22nd in run defense). That isn’t selling it to me at all.

I’m not saying Chris Carson isn’t going to amount to anything for Seattle, he very possibly could. But when looking at actual evidence, I struggle to be ‘all in’ on him. Remember when Thomas Rawls looked fantastic in his rookie year? Now look where he is. Currently on the street still searching for a team. He will very likely remain unsigned until June where he wouldn’t count towards another teams comp pick formulas.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:37 am
  • I'll say this, he was the only RB that looked remotely competent running behind that terrible line last year.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:01 am
  • original poster wrote:I personally don’t buy into the Chris Carson hype.

He never showed anything in college, hence his draft position in the 7th round. In the 4 games that he played in for the Seahawks last season, he totally 208 yards and a 4.2 yard average over those 4 which is fine. But can he sustain that over 16 games? I'm not entirely convinced. His best game on an ‘average yards per carry’ basis was week 1 against the Packers where he averaged 6.5 yards but only had 6 carries. He was coming in with fresh legs and didn’t prove any sustained workload.

The one game where he did sustain a good workload as well as producing decent yards is week 2 vs the 49ers where he carried the ball 20 times for 93 yards (4.7 average). If he could keep that up, I’d totally buy in. But were talking about 1 game (against a team that finished 22nd in run defense). That isn’t selling it to me at all.

I’m not saying Chris Carson isn’t going to amount to anything for Seattle, he very possibly could. But when looking at actual evidence, I struggle to be ‘all in’ on him. Remember when Thomas Rawls looked fantastic in his rookie year? Now look where he is. Currently on the street still searching for a team. He will very likely remain unsigned until June where he wouldn’t count towards another teams comp pick formulas.

I completely agree with this. I actually felt the same about Rawls. I was excited when TR was doing well, but I never totally bought into him. It was just a feeling......and I get that same with feeling with CC. To be honest...I am more excited about Mckissic (spelling?) than anyone I have seen since Lynch. My feeling have nothing to do with stats....its more of the eye-ball thing. When Mckissic gets that ball in his hands, he just looks exciting.......lol
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:19 am
  • samwize77 wrote:
    original poster wrote:I personally don’t buy into the Chris Carson hype.

I completely agree with this. I actually felt the same about Rawls. I was excited when TR was doing well, but I never totally bought into him. It was just a feeling......and I get that same with feeling with CC. To be honest...I am more excited about Mckissic (spelling?) than anyone I have seen since Lynch. My feeling have nothing to do with stats....its more of the eye-ball thing. When Mckissic gets that ball in his hands, he just looks exciting.......lol

Can't argue with the logic, but McKissic doesn't really look like an every down back. Great change of pace/3rd down guy, but not sure he's a pounder, which is kind of what we need to rejuvenate the run game.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:30 am
  • I can actually see McKissic being used a whole lot more next season.

Schotty loves to use RB's in the passing game. Obviously Prosise will be #1 in that role, but for how long is yet to be determined.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:40 am
  • I wouldn't sale Carson short. I think he is a good combo back. That said Carson, Davis & Mckissic I don't believe are bell cow RB's. This Draft has some really good backs, it will be interesting see who PC/JS see as "Their Guy". If they go early I really like Chubb, Johnson & Penny. I believe they will use Carson as more the battering ram type to help soften up the Dline, so as the game goes on our new stud RB can hopefully help us grind out some wins.
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:54 am
  • Davis might get first crack at reps, but no way he starts over Carson. And no, this isn't a Rawls situation. Rawls is/was no where near as talented.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:13 am
  • It really is a shame about Procise. They absolutely nailed the talent evaluation on the guy, he looks electric every rare occasion that he plays.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:01 am
  • I'm excited about McKissic too, but he's not a power runner. I wonder if that's why Davis is getting the nod here. At times he looked like a fullback last year.

Regardless, it's telling what they think of the two of them. For now, it's Davis's job to lose. Didn't expect that.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:04 am
  • If the run blocking improves, whoever is back there is going to look a heck of a lot better.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:23 am
  • Carson would be unavoidably a bit slower after surgery,

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:54 am
  • Carson is already at 100 percent. Again, Rawls is not Carson. Not nearly as talented and never had the same work ethic as Carson.

Also, while I like McKissic, he's not a full fledged RB as he is not effective between the tackles. It can be an issue with smaller RBs and you just kind of have to wait and see and I already saw. McKissic is sort of a gimmick player who also has pass blocking issues. His use case is somewhat limited even though he's made a few really nice plays.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:14 am
  • You have to remember Darren Sproles as a Charger, they loved him as a receiver, Carson, McKissic and Prosise all catch the ball really well, Davis isn't bad. We are going to see a multi dimensional usage, Davis has to prove he is a receiver that can catch as well as the others. McKissic and Prosise may be a more Reggie Bush role like he was used initially in New Oreleans.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:34 pm
  • We need to draft a rb in the high round plain and simple...as in round 1 since we wasted our 2nd and 3rd rd picks already.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:41 pm
  • Dang, I have Carson in my dynasty league! Davis too, but I need to make room for rookies and such. Tough choices!

In all seriousness though, I think Davis earned it. He ran hard and his skillset really showed last year. He's fast, quick, and will lower his shoulders. And his hands are super soft catching in the flats. I like Davis, but I still really want to see what Carson can do with a big workload.

I'm sorry, but McKissic doesn't do anything for me, but I'd still take him over Prosise. Plus, I think they'll draft at least one RB, and I hope it's one with workhorse potential, like Guice, Penny, Ballage, Josh Adams, or Scarborough (he might be my favorite, due to draft value).

I'd be thrilled with Davis, Carson, and a potential rookie competing for a workhorse role. Honestly, I think Davis could even handle the 3rd down back role.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:09 pm
  • I really like Davis..He ran tough and uses the stiff arm..
    Carson is good too but in a different way...
    Prosise?Is he healthy yet> :34853_doh:
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:47 pm
  • I really don’t care who starts!! So long that we can rush over 100 yards per game and our RBs can block in passing downs. I am down with a super star RB, or a committee of mediocre RBs, or an average RB with superb OL.

Just give me some rushing yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:08 pm
  • toffee wrote:I really don’t care who starts!! So long that we can rush over 100 yards per game and our RBs can block in passing downs. I am down with a super star RB, or a committee of mediocre RBs, or an average RB with superb OL.

That's where I'm at. We need to manufacture a running game, especially if we want to run a play action passing game. If opponents don't respect the run, then we're back to Russ running for his life 3 out of 5 plays.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:51 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    toffee wrote:I really don’t care who starts!! So long that we can rush over 100 yards per game and our RBs can block in passing downs. I am down with a super star RB, or a committee of mediocre RBs, or an average RB with superb OL.

That's where I'm at. We need to manufacture a running game, especially if we want to run a play action passing game. If opponents don't respect the run, then we're back to Russ running for his life 3 out of 5 plays.

We failed miserably and completely last season, let's see how much we can improve this season. As for which RB? Really don't care, not like any of them celebrate their thanksgiving with me. Just give me some d**n rushing yards by RBs not Russ.

toffee
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:01 pm
  • toffee wrote:I really don’t care who starts!! So long that we can rush over 100 yards per game and our RBs can block in passing downs. I am down with a super star RB, or a committee of mediocre RBs, or an average RB with superb OL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This, 100%.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:42 pm
  • Let them compete - but I think we are going rookie early in the draft (day one or two).

We will strike gold and get a new starter.
    crosfam
    NET Starter

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:41 pm
  • I look at it this way. I can't judge our RBs based on their production behind a god awful O-line run by a god awful line coach under the scheme of a god awful OC. Alex Collins did pretty well for the Ravens and he was one that they let go. Is he better than what we had? Maybe, maybe not. He was definitely better when he got away from the "god awful"s. So I'm looking forward to seeing the impact of the coaching changes. There is a pretty good chance the whole product is much better. That will also impact the "gee, we lost a 10 TD TE" solution.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:39 pm
  • Carson is coming off a major injury, and is not an established veteran, this is just SOP.

Especially after the Rawls situation where he was rushed back too early imo, the Seahawks are doing the right thing. Carson has to show he is back before they anoint him as the starter. It may all be moot anyway depending on who they can acquire in the upcoming draft.

That being said I was very impressed with Carson given the line in front of him and what he was doing. He has size, speed, and agility, but we have to see what he looks like now after the broken ankle.

Davis is a guy that has been around, and from a competition angle this makes the most sense to get the most out of these players effort wise going into the pre-season.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:41 pm
  • Here's the actual quote instead of somebody's rephrased twitter take that everybody is reading too much into.

Pete Carroll wrote:You can say (Carson is the starter) because of where he was when he got hurt, but Mike Davis did a really nice job for us last year. Mike finished and sustained throughout the season, unlike some guys in the last couple of years, and he showed us consistency and toughness and production. I think Mike really comes back getting the ball first, and the competition is on. That’s the first handoff, then after that it’s dead even.

This is clearly about Pete talking up Davis as part of the competition, and emphasizing that there is going to be a competition instead of them simply handing Carson the starting role on a silver platter. The honest takeaway here is "Pete says there will be a competition for the starting running back role."
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:05 pm
  • I really think Prosise is far and away the most talented of the group and will work his way into the biggest workload once they trust he can handle it. Schott when watching tape is the most exofted about CJ i would gaurantee it.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:50 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:We need to draft a rb in the high round plain and simple...as in round 1 since we wasted our 2nd and 3rd rd picks already.

Even if Mike McGlinchey is there at RT with LT after Brown potential?
    Danny Darko
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:08 am
  • ImTheScientist wrote:#2 We are drafting one or two RBs and so neither Davis or Carson will be our starter.

The crazy part is they've drafted seven RBs in the past five years. In terms of draft capital that's picks in rounds 2, 3, 5, 5, 7, 7, 7.

It's not nearlyas bad as the capital they've burned at the WR position since they let Tate leave (which is a straight up disaster), but if you factor in the capital they've spent at the position (and that some of these guys have gone on to be useful pieces on other teams -- Spencer Ware and Alex Collins) I think the takeaway is that their problems in the run game probably aren't going to be answered by drafting even more RBs.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:55 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:#2 We are drafting one or two RBs and so neither Davis or Carson will be our starter.

The crazy part is they've drafted seven RBs in the past five years. In terms of draft capital that's picks in rounds 2, 3, 5, 5, 7, 7, 7.

It's not nearlyas bad as the capital they've burned at the WR position since they let Tate leave (which is a straight up disaster), but if you factor in the capital they've spent at the position (and that some of these guys have gone on to be useful pieces on other teams -- Spencer Ware and Alex Collins) I think the takeaway is that their problems in the run game probably aren't going to be answered by drafting even more RBs.

None of those previous draft picks were even on the same level of back we're talking about here. I see Chubb having the best overall NFL game, but Michell, Johnson & Penny are all special talents.
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:46 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:#2 We are drafting one or two RBs and so neither Davis or Carson will be our starter.

I disagree. Not sure I would bother with the 5th & 7th round picks. How many starting running backs in the NFL have been 5th/7th round picks?

If you look at the 10 ten RBs in yards last year...
    5 were 1st round picks
    2 were 2nd round picks
    1 3rd
    1 5th
    1 UFA

Tells you if you want a stud you need to draft a stud and not hope you get lucky with a later round pick. The three best RBs in Seahawks history were all 1st round guys. This is the best RB draft in a long time. Draft a RB in the 1st and be done with it. You can then invest elsewhere and have a great RB for 6-8 years.
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:43 am
  • Carson wil start the season and Davis will either be 2nd or 3rd string by then. We'll draft a back and it could be a back talented enough to challenge Carson by mid season.

That would be ideal. I like Davis quite a bit, but he should not be your primary back.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:52 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:I really think Prosise is far and away the most talented of the group and will work his way into the biggest workload once they trust he can handle it. Schott when watching tape is the most exofted about CJ i would gaurantee it.

Procise is a 3rd down back, a good receiving option, but he is fragile and he will never ever be an every down running back.

Chris Carson never got a chance to fully show what he could do. I am hoping he has fully recovered from his injury and this was just an unfortunate blip. I think Carson has heaps of potential. But yeah, Carson-Davis as our 1-2 punch makes me nervous and Procise is not the answer here.
    Tusc2000
    NET Rookie

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:02 am
  • As much as I loved Carson last year, I need to see Pete and John go after a high round RB.

Obviously this would entail either trading Earl for a high round pick, or trading down in the first to score a 2nd or 3rd.

Bottom line, this revolving door of RB by committee because no one can stay healthy and/or be productive enough to take the role and be the workhorse we need him to be.........................has to stop.

You wanna be a ball control punishing nasty pound the rock type of team on offense? Then you find a punishing nasty pound the rock running back.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:24 am
  • I am of the opinion that the buck stops with the O-Line on this one. I am perfectly fine with Rawls, Carson, or Davis being the primary back. As long as we can get some proper blocking and the initial contact isn't 2 yards in the backfield, Jose Conseco can run for 3 yards, and at this point, that is all I expect or want to see. Once that is accomplished, then I get concerned about focusing on finding a young, talented RB of the future.

Honestly, if we drafted a Ronald Jones or Nick Chubb, I would be pounding the table for them not to even sniff the active day roster until our O-Line is average/functional.
    “How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”

- Henry David Thoreau
    bbsplitter
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:10 pm
  • Full quote so you can actually read this right.

“You can say (Carson is the starter) because of where he was when he got hurt, but Mike Davis did a really nice job for us last year,” Carroll said. “Mike finished and sustained throughout the season, unlike some guys in the last couple of years, and he showed us consistency and toughness and production. I think Mike really comes back getting the ball first, and the competition is on. That’s the first handoff, then after that it’s dead even.”
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:13 pm
  • bbsplitter wrote:I am of the opinion that the buck stops with the O-Line on this one. I am perfectly fine with Rawls, Carson, or Davis being the primary back. As long as we can get some proper blocking and the initial contact isn't 2 yards in the backfield, Jose Conseco can run for 3 yards, and at this point, that is all I expect or want to see. Once that is accomplished, then I get concerned about focusing on finding a young, talented RB of the future.

Honestly, if we drafted a Ronald Jones or Nick Chubb, I would be pounding the table for them not to even sniff the active day roster until our O-Line is average/functional.

Rawls is gone.

Since Davis just signed his one year tender at 1.2M, he's got every bit of a chance of competing for the starting job with Carson and whoever we draft.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:27 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    bbsplitter wrote:I am of the opinion that the buck stops with the O-Line on this one. I am perfectly fine with Rawls, Carson, or Davis being the primary back. As long as we can get some proper blocking and the initial contact isn't 2 yards in the backfield, Jose Conseco can run for 3 yards, and at this point, that is all I expect or want to see. Once that is accomplished, then I get concerned about focusing on finding a young, talented RB of the future.

Rawls is gone.

Since Davis just signed his one year tender at 1.2M, he's got every bit of a chance of competing for the starting job with Carson and whoever we draft.

I'm thinking it's gotta be a 3 horse race with those two and a draft pick. Potentially a 4 horse race in the event that Prosise stays healthy, but that would seem like a slim chance. McKissic is a real wild card that is limited as a pure RB, but stays healthy and plays fast in a 3rd down role only.

1 draft pick and the competition is on. Hopefully it doesn't come down to attrition again.

Rawls probably takes a vet min in Detroit.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:28 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:As much as I loved Carson last year, I need to see Pete and John go after a high round RB.

Obviously this would entail either trading Earl for a high round pick, or trading down in the first to score a 2nd or 3rd.

Bottom line, this revolving door of RB by committee because no one can stay healthy and/or be productive enough to take the role and be the workhorse we need him to be.........................has to stop.

You wanna be a ball control punishing nasty pound the rock type of team on offense? Then you find a punishing nasty pound the rock running back.

Agree 110%
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:59 pm
  • Wish we could have gotten Jeremy Hill for $1.5 million like the Pats did. A guy like that needed a change of scenery but is clearly the type of back who could do well with the right circumstances.
    hieroglyphics
    NET Rookie

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:10 pm
  • ImTheScientist wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:

I disagree. Not sure I would bother with the 5th & 7th round picks. How many starting running backs in the NFL have been 5th/7th round picks?

5 were 1st round picks
    2 were 2nd round picks
    1 3rd
    1 5th
    1 UFA

Tells you if you want a stud you need to draft a stud and not hope you get lucky with a later round pick. The three best RBs in Seahawks history were all 1st round guys. This is the best RB draft in a long time. Draft a RB in the 1st and be done with it. You can then invest elsewhere and have a great RB for 6-8 years.

That's complete hogwash, it depends on the line, the system and the OC, over the years there have been many good RB's taken past round three, there have been even many drafted 1 - 3 that failed miserably, that's like saying you can only get a good starting WR, or QB in the first round.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:00 pm
  • ImTheScientist wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:

5 were 1st round picks
    2 were 2nd round picks
    1 3rd
    1 5th
    1 UFA

If you go back one more year, just one of the top 10 RBs in rushing yards was a first rounder (Ezekiel Elliott), and only two were second rounders (LeVeon Bell, LeSean McCoy).

I don't think RBs are as interchangeable as many seem to (there's a reason that Marshawn Lynch was so much better than Christine Michael running behind the same line), but more teams are hitting on RBs later than they are at other positions. I'd strongly consider a RB in the first two rounds this year (people are really sleeping on Sony Michel IMO), depending on who is there, but I don't think we necessarily have to either.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:43 pm
  • I don't think people are sleeping on Michel anymore. About 3 weeks ago Mayock said he went back and watched the tape again and was then comparing him to Kamara. Michel is really pretty NFL ready. Chubb, his teammate, is just as good of a runner, but hasn't been involved in the passing game. That matters to NFL teams.

It will also matter when Pete is reminded that he can leave Everson Griffin alone and have Carson stonewall him. Stuff like that REALLY matters. Then on top of that he's a nice pass catcher.

Davis has hit the weight pile really hard this offseason, but even still, giving him the first rep in camp is sort of a technicality and courtesy for finishing the season with us. After that first carry, it's on.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:55 am
  • original poster wrote:I personally don’t buy into the Chris Carson hype.

Three points here.

1) Chris Carson looked terrific on tape. He ran well, showed explosiveness and cutback ability, pass protected very strongly. He's a creator. Judging a RB by their YPC and college history is not a complete analysis.

Carson is not going to get a fair trial with the fans after his ankle injury. Most people have given up on him. But that doesn't mean Pete and John deployed him as starter for no reason. He went into a 7-man RB competition and won it decisively behind some terrible run blocking.

2) Thomas Rawls DID look fantastic in the 2015. It wasn't fools' gold. He was great. Overachieving, maybe, but what an overachiever. Fans had come to trust his carries just like Lynch. Then he got injured, the injury went to his head, and combined with Seattle jettisoning a left tackle that a lot of fans wanted gone and declining on the OL further from 2015, he fell off the cliff. That doesn't automatically make him a good comparison to Carson.

Perhaps Carson is never the same after his injury, either, but there are plenty of NFL players who come back just fine from injuries. We'll have to see. I, too, suspect the Seahawks will draft another RB, though it probably won't be who fans want it to be, nor will it come where fans want it to come.

3) Davis isn't a complete RB prospect like Carson. He's like McKissic, a relief/gadget player, albeit a valuable one given his talent on screens.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:35 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    ImTheScientist wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:

5 were 1st round picks
    2 were 2nd round picks
    1 3rd
    1 5th
    1 UFA

That's complete hogwash, it depends on the line, the system and the OC, over the years there have been many good RB's taken past round three, there have been even many drafted 1 - 3 that failed miserably, that's like saying you can only get a good starting WR, or QB in the first round.

Disagree. Data shows your probability of hitting on good starting players increases with round. Higher the round/pick the lower the probability of a player busting. So the data says invest in a player or position in round 1 and you have a better shot of getting a good starting player.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:26 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:Does anybody feel comfortable with Chris Carson and Mike Davis being our 2 main running backs? Yuk.

I think behind an effective offensive line that both Chris and Mike have demonstrated they can be effective. Every RB we had going back to, and including Marshawn Lynch, injured themselves, trying to make something happen for us. these had more success than the others. If they can make something from nothing happen, just imagine what they do behind a real offensive line.
    The 12th man, is the true heart and soul of the Seahawks. As goes the 12th man, so go the Seahawks. Change is Inevitable. Seahawk 12th Man for Life.
    pacific101
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:19 am
  • pacific101 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:Does anybody feel comfortable with Chris Carson and Mike Davis being our 2 main running backs? Yuk.

I think behind an effective offensive line that both Chris and Mike have demonstrated they can be effective. Every RB we had going back to, and including Marshawn Lynch, injured themselves, trying to make something happen for us. these had more success than the others. If they can make something from nothing happen, just imagine what they do behind a real offensive line.

Lol. Any RB behind an effective line can be effective but the question is, can they be special? Lynch was special when he was leading the league in yards after contact for us. Yeah he got hurt, but he was pretty much done at that point anyways. Davis and Carson seem like backup, relief guys for any other NFL team, but they are our main guys. That doesnt make me feel real good going into next season. Somebody said if you want a stud at a certain position, then draft a stud. I agree with this and the Seahawks have a chance at doing that for a RB. This is the Seahawks though we are talking about. Instead of drafting a RB, which I feel we really need, they will probably draft another CB or something.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:25 am
  • Honestly, I don't see how either could be considered anything other than back-ups. I believe the OL will be slightly better this season (it can't be worse) but these two backs look average at best given the limited amount we've seen. If Pete is rebooting the offensive scheme to be more focused on the run, I don't see these two being the answer.
    Northhawk
    NET Starter

Next

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:56 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information