Baldwin in the Redzone

adeltaY

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ParkerLewisJR/status/978420841338712064[/tweet]

I remember back in 2016 before Graham broke out as a RZ weapon someone shared that Baldwin had a 50% TD rate, but not many targets.

Definitely hope Schotty emphasises targeting Baldwin in the RZ to help replace some of the Jimmy and Paul TDs we're losing.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I've always loved Baldwin in the Redzone. He has some great route running abilities. We obviously can't count on him to get every TD for us down there, but he's more than capable of getting open for a lot of them.

mistaowen

Reaction score
He has insane lateral quickness which lets him torch defenders off the line. Hoping to see him get more involved in the RZ this season, terrific mismatch in space.

sutz

Reaction score
Much like one of his "too small, too slow" predecessors, the great Steve Largent, Baldie has a knack for getting open and grabbing clutch catches in tight spaces. While he may not have great combine speed, he seems to have pretty good football speed, something I heard a talking head once describe as "run-by-ya" speed.

ADB is up there among the top WRs in Seahawks history.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He made Josh Gordon just look silly in their game last year on what should have been the game winning TD (until the D crapped the bed at the end) It was hilarious.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
One of the only reasons Jimmy Graham had as many TD's last year as he did was because of the non-existent running game, very poor offensive line play.

He simply became the beneficiary of needed TD's when in close because there was literally very few other choices and the other teams knew it.

Baldwin in a well balanced offense will have a lot more red zone TD's IMO, not to mention a lot better season overall, stat wise, they just need to fix the O-line and running back issues that have plagued the Hawks since they traded away Max Unger for a TE that turned into a pure QUITTER when it served his purpose at the end.

I think the Hawks will surprise some this upcoming season if they can only get a running game going and that means a lot better O-line play overall, it's all connected.

GO HAWKS!!!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SeahawksRawk":3ha5fez6 said:
I look at him as the Largent of this generation. He compares very well to the way Largent played. Except ADB is faster.
Largent is whole another level above DB//Yes there are some comparison but
you do know Largent taught Doug a lot in person right?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That move he put on Josh Norman is a thing of beauty. Gotta' go find that.
On a side note: quite a few of those TD passes where FROM THE POCKET. That's amazing considering he "can't throw from the pocket" or "over the middle" :lol:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":180ezc9u said:
On a side note: quite a few of those TD passes where FROM THE POCKET. That's amazing considering he "can't throw from the pocket" or "over the middle" :lol:
I guess that was put there with me in mind? :lol:
My complaint was he won't use the pocket enough..The pocket use is related to middle passing.

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
IndyHawk":26ku3hvd said:
SoulfishHawk":26ku3hvd said:
I guess that was put there with me in mind? :lol:
My complaint was he won't use the pocket enough..The pocket use is related to middle passing.

What constitutes enough?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Baldwin is amazing.

But we are literally going to have 1 WR and a bunch of nobodies.

Which means Baldwin is going to be covered. By a few people.

With Graham, we could force them to put guys on him, keep their safeties near him, etc. Because Graham might not have been the best at catching the ball between the 20s but he sure as hell was dangerous in the EZ. And the other team knew that.

And Richardson was making enough plays that teams had to respect him.

It left Baldwin with one guy to beat, which he did.

Now Baldwin is going to have a much harder time because he will have most if not all of the focus of the other team's defense.

He might end up getting more TDs this year but the overall amount of team TDs is probably going to drop and the number of passes to Baldwin that are defended is going to go up by a lot. Neither would be good news.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Soulfish, you are correct.

The better term for Lockett is probably a 'used to be"

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Young, capable and nowhere near the threat he was before the injury.

And I have a Lockett jersey in the closet that is one of my favorites of all the jerseys I own.

I want him to succeed. But I don't think going into the season with him as one of the primary options, depending on his complete recovery, is a great idea.

For now, he has shown nothing that indicates he will be enough of a threat to force teams to defend him honestly so we don't always have Baldwin in double or triple coverage.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3olk5tu2 said:
Young, capable and nowhere near the threat he was before the injury.

And I have a Lockett jersey in the closet that is one of my favorites of all the jerseys I own.

I want him to succeed. But I don't think going into the season with him as one of the primary options, depending on his complete recovery, is a great idea.

For now, he has shown nothing that indicates he will be enough of a threat to force teams to defend him honestly so we don't always have Baldwin in double or triple coverage.

That might have been the case for some of this last year, but his kick-off return vs. the Cards at the end of the season suggests his speed is just fine. His breaks will be better if his confidence is also greater.

I'd wait to see before making some kind of negative generalization since time is exactly what his injury required.