Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Fellow fans: Does losing hurt more than winning feels Good?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • In otherwords, does the pain of how SB 49 ended eat at you more than the thrill of anihalating the Broncos for our first SB win? When you look at it, this franchise experienced maybe it's finest moment and then their darkest moment within a calendar year of one another.

    I ask this because I've often seen players say that the feeling of losing hurts more than winning feels good. Was wondering how fans feel?
    Hawker8989
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 46
    Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:00 pm


  • Hurt is much like Hot and cold.. Cold is just the lack of heat.
    Feeling good is just the lack of being hurt. Winning 20 SB's in a row, will make you feel good, but losing 20 seasons in a row, will just make you hurt more and more.
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2252
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


  • Not in the least. NOTHING will ever replace or diminish the sheer Nirvana (no not the band) I felt on February 2nd, 2014.

    NOTHING!
    Image

    There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 11762
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • Bobblehead wrote:Hurt is much like Hot and cold.. Cold is just the lack of heat.
    Feeling good is just the lack of being hurt. Winning 20 SB's in a row, will make you feel good, but losing 20 seasons in a row, will just make you hurt more and more.


    True. I think that's just a product of society too. Bad can sometimes outweigh good.

    There's a key turning point in SB 49. Seahawks are up 10. 3rd down. I think it was Kearse or Baldwin who were the intended receiver. Anyways, they dropped a catchable ball that would've put the Hawks deep in NE territory. Nonetheless, Hawks punt....D gets shredded....rest is history. Does anyone remember this " drop" I am speaking of? It definitely wasn't " easy"...but it's a catch that was made all season. I also think Lane getting hurt changed the momentum too.

    I also remember Collinsworth saying the following after the miracle Kearse catch: " I can't believe He didn't get up and score". Little did we know how prophetic those words ended up being. But then Again, if Kearse scores, NE gets the ball with 1 minute plus left. Brady had already gone crazy to that point.

    Here's another what if: Can you imagine how bad Belichick would've looked if the Seahawks score, and there's no time left because he didn't use his timeouts? He would go down in lore for a huge blunder.

    These are all what ifs though. That's life. We all got to witness our team win a championship. Pretty sure Browns, Texans, Chargers, Rams, Lions, Bengals, Jags, and a few others would trade places with us in a nano second.
    Hawker8989
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 46
    Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:00 pm


  • I was ar SB 49 and it's really a distant memory. I've never re-watched the game.

    SB 48 is etched in my mind so that I can see every TD, every big play just by thinking about it. I've watched it half a dozen times. A dream fulfilled. It will always be my top moment in sports fandom along with the 3 NFC championship games at C-Link.

    Losses are tossed aside quickly. Learn from them and move on. Anyone still upset about 49 really needs to get past it. Ruminating on it doesn't no good to yourself or anyone else.
    Mad Dog
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 207
    Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:12 am


  • You got to check out Bill Simmons levels of losing he wrote about 15 years ago. It is not just a loss it depends on what kind of loss.

    http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?pa ... ons/020528

    Same can be said for winning. My friends that are Giants fans don’t talk glowingly about the 2011 season because the team was 9-7 and just gutted out a playoff run. From August to January they were frustrated with the team. They do fondly remember 2007 for busting the 16-0 pats and the older ones remember the team going 14-2 and winning the Owl in 1990. Just like 2013. It was awesome because all year and all offseason the NFL world was talking about the young and tough Seahawks and they backed it up with a 13-3 season followed by a dominate Super Bowl win.

    The type of win matters and the type of loss matters. Honestly with how SB 49 ended I would have rather the team have lost the NFC Title game to Green Bay, I have a feeling the resentment by the players would have been less.
    User avatar
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1836
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


  • sdog1981 wrote:You got to check out Bill Simmons levels of losing he wrote about 15 years ago. It is not just a loss it depends on what kind of loss.

    http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?pa ... ons/020528

    Same can be said for winning. My friends that are Giants fans don’t talk glowingly about the 2011 season because the team was 9-7 and just gutted out a playoff run. From August to January they were frustrated with the team. They do fondly remember 2007 for busting the 16-0 pats and the older ones remember the team going 14-2 and winning the Owl in 1990. Just like 2013. It was awesome because all year and all offseason the NFL world was talking about the young and tough Seahawks and they backed it up with a 13-3 season followed by a dominate Super Bowl win.

    The type of win matters and the type of loss matters. Honestly with how SB 49 ended I would have rather the team have lost the NFC Title game to Green Bay, I have a feeling the resentment by the players would have been less.


    I still think there would have been resentment. Probably more towards Wilson because he threw four picks. The defense had some epic stands at the goal line to keep that game close.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1929
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


  • adeltaY wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:You got to check out Bill Simmons levels of losing he wrote about 15 years ago. It is not just a loss it depends on what kind of loss.

    http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?pa ... ons/020528

    Same can be said for winning. My friends that are Giants fans don’t talk glowingly about the 2011 season because the team was 9-7 and just gutted out a playoff run. From August to January they were frustrated with the team. They do fondly remember 2007 for busting the 16-0 pats and the older ones remember the team going 14-2 and winning the Owl in 1990. Just like 2013. It was awesome because all year and all offseason the NFL world was talking about the young and tough Seahawks and they backed it up with a 13-3 season followed by a dominate Super Bowl win.

    The type of win matters and the type of loss matters. Honestly with how SB 49 ended I would have rather the team have lost the NFC Title game to Green Bay, I have a feeling the resentment by the players would have been less.


    I still think there would have been resentment. Probably more towards Wilson because he threw four picks. The defense had some epic stands at the goal line to keep that game close.



    True. But , I don't think the resentment would've been as bad. I think the SB window slammed shut as soon as Butler made the pick. The fact they are a Blair Walsh fg away from their only playoff win in three seasons being against an historically inept franchise proves as much. I think it would've been easier to recover had GB won. Just chalk it up to a bad day.

    It's also frustrating that a crazy Kearse catch is nothing more than a footnote. Unfortunately, nobody will ever think about that catch because of what happened two plays later.
    Hawker8989
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 46
    Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:00 pm


  • The loss of Super Bowl 49 still affects me to this day because of the way that it ended. A lot of people remind me of that when I am wearing my gear and it pains me to have to relive that moment when I stood in my living room completely paralyzed with my arms raised in the air and this look of disgust on my face. I stood there for at least 7-8 minutes in the same position I kid you not.

    Super Bowl 48 will always be a great memory for me, but to be honest with you the thrill is going away. So, I would have to say that losing affects me more than winning in the long term that is.
    User avatar
    nrayorr
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 226
    Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:32 am


  • Hawker8989 wrote:In otherwords, does the pain of how SB 49 ended eat at you more than the thrill of anihalating the Broncos for our first SB win?


    Absolutely. It was such a gut wrenching loss that not only did it affect me, the team was affected too and never recovered. When people look back on Pete Carroll, they will remember 'The Play' more than the win against the Broncos. That's how bad it was. Can you imagine if we didn't win the Super Bowl the year before, how people would feel? Heck, i'm still bitter about 2005 to be honest.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 613
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


  • Oh hell no...Having won the Super Bowl against the Bronco's (one of our old AFC rivals) in the dominating fashion that they did, defrays, and overrides ANY losses since.
    Players that were a part of that 43 to 8 ass kicking, really have no reason to feel bummed, after all, they ALL got a SB Ring to see them through any losses.
    Some of us fans get hung up on believing in the fallacy, that there's a huge disparity of talent from team to team in the NFL.
    Some teams that were cellar dwellers five to ten years ago have stepped up their game, and teams that flourished back then have to periodically reload, and they have to work around the CAP...Teams in need, with a lot of cash to spend, are going to raid the better teams of a lot of their key players.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6533
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • Having defeat snatched from the jaws of victory in 49 was numbing but didn't hurt much for the first couple years, because I thought the team would be able to continue to be a perennial threat for the next few years. However, since it became evident that the team is no longer necessarily a top SB contender and even missed the playoffs last season, for me, that has actually caused the loss of SB 49 to suddenly be more acute. And I'm sure it's different for different people, and I will always be extremely proud of making it to two consecutive SBs and being dominant in the SB 48 victory, but the realization that we did not do what was so within our grasp -- win two consecutive SBs -- does hurt more than how the SB 48 win felt good, seeing that there's a real possibility it could be a while before we advance that far in the playoffs again.

    We absolutely should have won SB 49.
    User avatar
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 776
    Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 6:52 pm


  • Hawker8989 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:You got to check out Bill Simmons levels of losing he wrote about 15 years ago. It is not just a loss it depends on what kind of loss.

    http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?pa ... ons/020528

    Same can be said for winning. My friends that are Giants fans don’t talk glowingly about the 2011 season because the team was 9-7 and just gutted out a playoff run. From August to January they were frustrated with the team. They do fondly remember 2007 for busting the 16-0 pats and the older ones remember the team going 14-2 and winning the Owl in 1990. Just like 2013. It was awesome because all year and all offseason the NFL world was talking about the young and tough Seahawks and they backed it up with a 13-3 season followed by a dominate Super Bowl win.

    The type of win matters and the type of loss matters. Honestly with how SB 49 ended I would have rather the team have lost the NFC Title game to Green Bay, I have a feeling the resentment by the players would have been less.


    I still think there would have been resentment. Probably more towards Wilson because he threw four picks. The defense had some epic stands at the goal line to keep that game close.



    True. But , I don't think the resentment would've been as bad. I think the SB window slammed shut as soon as Butler made the pick. The fact they are a Blair Walsh fg away from their only playoff win in three seasons being against an historically inept franchise proves as much. I think it would've been easier to recover had GB won. Just chalk it up to a bad day.

    It's also frustrating that a crazy Kearse catch is nothing more than a footnote. Unfortunately, nobody will ever think about that catch because of what happened two plays later.


    We did whoop detroit at home in the playoffs after the Walsh game. Get your point though, making it right up to the end and losing was horrific.

    Honestly, if Kearse could have caught a 3rd and 10 pass that hit him in the hands, he may not have needed to make that catch during a frantic comeback attempt. Game of inches and possibilities...
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1929
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


  • I feel the same way the good players on that team feel, I am
    more pissed about 49
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1320
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:02 pm


  • Losing hurts way more then winninging excites for me.
    Last edited by getnasty on Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2626
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


  • Nothing will ever change SB48 for me.
    It was literally what I waited my whole life for and was
    in The Meadowlands that day. Never thought I'd ever go to a Super Bowl either.
    It was my sports BC - AD moment.

    49? I don't blame the same person most do.
    We got what we wanted on that play and had every advantage in the world. Didn't execute.

    Winning is awesome
    Losing sucks
    Nothing is better than a team that is riding the wave towards the top.
    Last edited by TheHawkster on Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    GET YOUR EAR PLUGS READY!!!
    User avatar
    TheHawkster
    * NET Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 2246
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:00 am
    Location: Puyallup


  • Losing 49 did not hurt as much as the loss to the Steelers and watching inept Umpiring hand them the trophy with Phantom and no calls.

    We had control of 49 and we have a culprit to blame, ourselves or Bevell. We were playing against a stacked deck against the Steelers.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23641
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • I let it go a day or two after. I let a lot of things go pretty quick after surviving a heart attack 10 years ago. I remember watching that play, My jaw dropped at the formation and stayed there for 2 minutes after the play. I swore a few choice words, turned off the TV and took a shower to get the dirty off me. But that Steeler game, I carried that anger for a long time. I do not like that team to begin with.
    Image
    User avatar
    djb28
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1958
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:40 am


  • chris98251 wrote:Losing 49 did not hurt as much as the loss to the Steelers and watching inept Umpiring hand them the trophy with Phantom and no calls.

    We had control of 49 and we have a culprit to blame, ourselves or Bevell. We were playing against a stacked deck against the Steelers.


    Yup. I think joy has one part and only stays high for a little while maybe at the same level as a devastating loss. Losing SB 40, for me, I went back and forth with so many emotions for a while. Anger, sadness, back to anger, more anger when the refs admitted they screwed up the game to somewhat indifferent with still some irritation. I still get infuriated when any Steeler fan, while they have no defense for the lousy game, they will just say,,,"get over it". I am over it but if that is said to me it reverts me right back to square one.

    48 was a good pain killer though.
    User avatar
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4447
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:36 pm
    Location: Aiken , SC


  • Bobblehead wrote:Hurt is much like Hot and cold.. Cold is just the lack of heat.
    Feeling good is just the lack of being hurt. Winning 20 SB's in a row, will make you feel good, but losing 20 seasons in a row, will just make you hurt more and more.

    Completely disagree. It is possible for the joy of winning to be reduced and even the pressure of a De La Salle-level streak or something make it feel like there's only something to lose, but to go as far as your statement is crazy to me. Your point pushes that there is no joy or purpose in life and no reason for anyone to care about surviving, let alone anything else.
    purpleneer
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 256
    Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:19 pm
    Location: The Green Lantern (almost)


  • To follow on the point of degrees and different feelings, the losses that hurt the most for me are when you are the best team and lost because of bad decisions or someone being lazy, selfish, or showboaty. I'm not talking about debatable playcalls (at least the part about considering it a given that Lynch just pounds it in like the opponent isn't trying), more about the kind of decisions that still happen despite the analytics showing them to be pretty much wrong. When a team tries to sit on a lead too early, when a coach punts and loses because he can blame the loss on the players that way, when a coach refuses to foul up three because he's more afraid of the loss that's like a tenth as likely, when a team refuses to adapt to an opponent or to changing circumstances.
    purpleneer
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 256
    Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:19 pm
    Location: The Green Lantern (almost)


  • I enjoyed the SB win and the comeback playoff win against Green Bay way more than the SB loss hurt. I would even say that the GB loss to the Seahawks must have hurt their team and fans way more than the Seahawks loss two weeks later.

    The Patriots and the Broncos both lost Super Bowls and lived to win another. Stop being cry baby gloom-and-doomers, and start believing in your team. This team still has multiple Super Bowls in its future.
    User avatar
    Palmegranite
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 280
    Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:53 am



  • Hawker8989 wrote:In otherwords, does the pain of how SB 49 ended eat at you more than the thrill of anihalating the Broncos for our first SB win?


    No.

    And I certainly do not sit around refusing to even acknowledge that we won a Super Bowl (and reached another) in order to diminish any of those players, coaches, or front office in the service of clamoring for their departure for Seattle so I can feel like SOMETHING is being done.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16853
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • I never believed I would get to watch the Hawks win a championship in my lifetime. After 48 it's all gravy.
    User avatar
    Russellmania3
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 111
    Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:46 am


  • Weird thread.

    As someone that has watched that game over a hundred times because every time I fly I replay that game on my laptop?

    The answer is no.

    Losing does not hurt worse than winning feels good.

    Weird question.

    The glow from that win resonates this many years later. It probably will never lose that shine.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2745
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • Russellmania3 wrote:I never believed I would get to watch the Hawks win a championship in my lifetime. After 48 it's all gravy.


    This is how I feel.

    If we hadn't won SB 48, and lost 49 the way we did? That might have been the end of me. Sure I want more SB's, cause I'll never forget that euphoria...........but if we never get back? I got my SB, I'm good.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13408
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • I've been floating since 48, one was all I needed. I'm over losses now in about 10 minutes.

    I don't blame players for how they feel though, they're the ones who put so much into it.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2230
    Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 1:45 pm


  • I think SB49 tends to bother newer fans more then old timers.

    After suffering for decades of gut-wrenching losses through the 1970's-2000's, the dominance of the SB48 win washed away any worries I would never see a Seahawks SB victory. My own personal journey as a Seahawks fan over the years is fulfilled. The rest is icing on the cake.

    And here is the thing about SB49... Literally everyone on the planet thinks, the Seahawks "should have won". Even Patriot's fans will tell your this... off the record. While it won't show in the record book, in reality SB49 kinda comes with an asterisk. Listen to whenever SB49 is brought up by any sports pundits/announcers/fans. They say, "Pete Carroll and the Seahawks went to back to back SB's, won one, should'a been two."

    I have come to grips with the fact that SB49 has gone down in history as a great game, that ended on a great play by an obscure player, due to a questionable play call. It won't be forgotten, but neither will the SB48 win. Those two SB years (along with the NFC championship games) cemented the Hawks into NFL history and lore forever. That can't be denied.

    Before Pete Carrol and SB48 the Seahawks were always an afterthought. Seattle never got any respect from other fans or media. As a kid growing up, I would watch NFL highlight videos in the 1980's and 1990's hoping see a clip of the Seahawks. Many times there were none. The Seahawks were just ignored. Like the barley existed. The hawks were just that crappy expansion team out in southern Alaska. If there were any highlights, usually it was Bo Jackson running over the Hawks on Monday night football, or an occasional Steve Largent catch.

    Today, thanks to SB48/49 Seahawks highlights are everywhere, people all over the country wear their jerseys, and players and coaches are household names. 12th man flags are waved by fans all over the world. So much has changed with this franchise in the last 10 years... for the better.

    I have a hard time feeling "hurt" about anything.
    User avatar
    SHOCKER315
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 670
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:05 pm
    Location: Portland


  • I hardly give 49 a second thought, but 48 will always be special to me. I never thought I'd be able to watch the Mariners or Seahawks win it all so for that I will always be grateful and the losses, especially to good teams, don't really phase me anymore.

    It's crazy to think how much different this era would look if we had lost 48 to the Pats and then turned around to blow out the Broncos in 49. I think the stories of redemption and such would make some folks a lot less critical or upset that we haven't been a stronger team since then.

    Then again, less criticism probably means we still have Cable/Bevell, so I'm ok with this timeline.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1598
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


  • I look at this question in two ways. One is winning = Superbowl title / Losing = not winning the title (and for me not making the playoffs). In this type of scenario, I have no doubt that the feeling I get from winning exceeds the feeling I get when we lose by a long long ways. It's not even close.

    The other way I can look at this is regular season games. Although, I can say that I don't take losses nearly as bad as I used to, I still feel more bummed about a regular season loss than I do a regular season win.

    Outside of the superbowl win, my biggest wins of the year are (somewhat in order):

    HFA Clinching wins
    Division Clinching wins
    Playoff Clinching wins
    Divisional wins (Current order: Rams/Niners/Cardinals)
    AFC West wins (in the years we play them)
    NFC Playoff contenders (outside the West)
    The rest of the wins are fairly equals


    Most depressing losses are in a similar order, except I'd just group all the playoff scenarios into one game and that's the one that eliminates us from the playoffs. Otherwise the order is pretty much the same as the wins.


    As far as superbowl wins and losses are concerned, we've been in 3, and I thought the first loss would be something I might never get over, but after winning 48, the other two losses are merely a blip on the radar for me now.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 22389
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • That first SB made me quit watching the NFL for 5 years.

    That pissed me off.


    Now THAT loss, I will never get over because not only were we screwed but it screwed Walter Jones out of a ring.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2745
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • I’m a lifelong Seattle sports fan, I’m used to the losing.
    The euphoric high of my team winning it all such dominating fashion in XLVIII didn’t wear off for probably 9 months.
    XLVIII is my “happy place”. 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24307
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Is hitting yourself in the face with a shovel OK, because it feels good when you stop?

    Every Seahawk fan loved #48, and contemplates what #49 could have been. Most hated what “49” ended up being.

    This is an odd question for me, I liken it to this......

    Did getting turned down for a prom date hurt worse that getting laid your first time felt good?


    Get off my lawn.

    :{)
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 17164
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


  • After 49, i resolved never to let something I had no agency in get me down like that. When playing games winning a big tourney feels much better than losing even in the final because I own it and the odds are already stacked against me.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3661
    Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm


  • As good as 48 felt, 49 hurt way worse. Like other people have said, after we won one I thought everything else was gravy - obviously not knowing the way the next season would end. As awesome as it was, I wish we would have lost the NFC Championship to Green Bay. Then I wouldn't have had to endlessly think about the end of 49. We were surprisingly terrible most of that game, but I could have lived with thinking it just wasn't our day. I think the worst part is that it would have been back to back. I can't even think about the joy of 48 without the pain of 49. Not sure how much it would be different if it wasn't a back to back situation.

    Until all of the players and coaches from that team are gone, there will be somewhat of a black cloud over the team - at least to me anyway.
    Do you like curry? - Gareth Keenan
    User avatar
    DYLcurry59
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 635
    Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:27 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • DYLcurry59 wrote:Until all of the players and coaches from that team are gone, there will be somewhat of a black cloud over the team - at least to me anyway.


    Same here. Everytime I see Carroll, I think of 'The Play'.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 613
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


  • Not me.

    Without Carroll we not only don't enjoy that SB victory but we don't enjoy the dominating sneeringly good performances during that march to the SB.

    What bothered me about Carroll is that he never acknowledged the error and worse, chose not to learn from it.

    He won with a gameplan that focused on his ability to use his dominating RB, Lynch, to wear out the opposing defense while leveraging his own great defense to shut the other team down until his offense ripped the doors off.

    The problem was that while that gameplan worked for that roster, he then was faced with a new roster and kept the same damned gameplan, that no longer worked because he no longer had Lynch. And he never acknowledged that his own OC was holding the team back.

    So we lost 2 potential SB trips and for all practical purposes are no longer a real contender for the SB anymore.

    He brought us one opportunity but squandered 3 more. So while I appreciate everything he has done, I really doubt he can do anything more and the longer we keep him, the longer it will be until we can reasonably expect to compete in the playoffs again. ( I do not count one wildcard win as 'competing')
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2745
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • I am an original '76 fan and no way in hell does 49 ruin 48. I've waited all too long for that W to let some ridiculous ending destroy what I waited 37 years for. Yes, 49 was a major piss off, but 48 was a lifelong dream come true.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4271
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • +1, nothing can ever take away 48. Shoot, I was in the stands for 49, great game til the end. But it doesn't take away the Championship luster at all.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8394
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • If losing hurts more than winning feels good for you, then you should stop watching sports.

    There are 32 teams in the NFL and only one Super Bowl. 97% of fans will have their team's season end in disappointment. If championships are evenly distributed, you'll get to celebrate once every 32 years. If losing hurts more than winning feels good for you, then sports just aren't worth it for you.
    Jeremy517
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 243
    Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:51 pm


  • I try not to compare the 2. Sometimes I do find myself helping wonder what could have been had we won 2 in a row. I mean that's a feat rarely ever challenged. Matter of fact, just making it back to back in superbowls is so hard now.

    However, 48 is 48. The butt kicking we gave the broncos will forever hold a special place in my heart.
    ApnaHawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 266
    Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:24 pm


  • Seymour wrote:I am an original '76 fan and no way in hell does 49 ruin 48. I've waited all too long for that W to let some ridiculous ending destroy what I waited 37 years for. Yes, 49 was a major piss off, but 48 was a lifelong dream come true.

    So much this!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24307
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Can only answer as a 9ers fan, but there's upsides to both of them.

    As a fan of a team, when you're team is winning it's all high stakes and really gets the juices flowing.

    As a fan of the game, when you're team really sucks -- as the 9ers have for awhile -- it's really fun to just enjoy and watch football without all the anxiety of being worried about winning or losing. For these last few years while the 9ers sucked I've found I have more mental space to really try to follow strategy across a game and how individual players are performing and so on because I knew my team was probably gonna lose anyway so I didn't need to concern myself with the whole emotional side of winning or losing.
    User avatar
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4713
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


  • per wikipedia: In cognitive psychology and decision theory, loss aversion refers to people's tendency to prefer avoiding losses to acquiring equivalent gains: it is better to not lose $5 than to find $5.
    User avatar
    HawkerD
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 489
    Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:33 am
    Location: Covington WA


  • HawkerD wrote:per wikipedia: In cognitive psychology and decision theory, loss aversion refers to people's tendency to prefer avoiding losses to acquiring equivalent gains: it is better to not lose $5 than to find $5.


    So if you lose $5.00 then find it, you are basically in the hole then? :twisted:
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4271
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm




It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:54 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online