Fellow fans: Does losing hurt more than winning feels Good?

Hawker8989

Reaction score
In otherwords, does the pain of how SB 49 ended eat at you more than the thrill of anihalating the Broncos for our first SB win? When you look at it, this franchise experienced maybe it's finest moment and then their darkest moment within a calendar year of one another.

I ask this because I've often seen players say that the feeling of losing hurts more than winning feels good. Was wondering how fans feel?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hurt is much like Hot and cold.. Cold is just the lack of heat.
Feeling good is just the lack of being hurt. Winning 20 SB's in a row, will make you feel good, but losing 20 seasons in a row, will just make you hurt more and more.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not in the least. NOTHING will ever replace or diminish the sheer Nirvana (no not the band) I felt on February 2nd, 2014.

NOTHING!

OP
OP
H

Hawker8989

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3r8u3isa said:
Feeling good is just the lack of being hurt. Winning 20 SB's in a row, will make you feel good, but losing 20 seasons in a row, will just make you hurt more and more.

True. I think that's just a product of society too. Bad can sometimes outweigh good.

There's a key turning point in SB 49. Seahawks are up 10. 3rd down. I think it was Kearse or Baldwin who were the intended receiver. Anyways, they dropped a catchable ball that would've put the Hawks deep in NE territory. Nonetheless, Hawks punt....D gets shredded....rest is history. Does anyone remember this " drop" I am speaking of? It definitely wasn't " easy"...but it's a catch that was made all season. I also think Lane getting hurt changed the momentum too.

I also remember Collinsworth saying the following after the miracle Kearse catch: " I can't believe He didn't get up and score". Little did we know how prophetic those words ended up being. But then Again, if Kearse scores, NE gets the ball with 1 minute plus left. Brady had already gone crazy to that point.

Here's another what if: Can you imagine how bad Belichick would've looked if the Seahawks score, and there's no time left because he didn't use his timeouts? He would go down in lore for a huge blunder.

These are all what ifs though. That's life. We all got to witness our team win a championship. Pretty sure Browns, Texans, Chargers, Rams, Lions, Bengals, Jags, and a few others would trade places with us in a nano second.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I was ar SB 49 and it's really a distant memory. I've never re-watched the game.

SB 48 is etched in my mind so that I can see every TD, every big play just by thinking about it. I've watched it half a dozen times. A dream fulfilled. It will always be my top moment in sports fandom along with the 3 NFC championship games at C-Link.

Losses are tossed aside quickly. Learn from them and move on. Anyone still upset about 49 really needs to get past it. Ruminating on it doesn't no good to yourself or anyone else.

sdog1981

Reaction score
You got to check out Bill Simmons levels of losing he wrote about 15 years ago. It is not just a loss it depends on what kind of loss.

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?pa ... ons/020528

Same can be said for winning. My friends that are Giants fans don’t talk glowingly about the 2011 season because the team was 9-7 and just gutted out a playoff run. From August to January they were frustrated with the team. They do fondly remember 2007 for busting the 16-0 pats and the older ones remember the team going 14-2 and winning the Owl in 1990. Just like 2013. It was awesome because all year and all offseason the NFL world was talking about the young and tough Seahawks and they backed it up with a 13-3 season followed by a dominate Super Bowl win.

The type of win matters and the type of loss matters. Honestly with how SB 49 ended I would have rather the team have lost the NFC Title game to Green Bay, I have a feeling the resentment by the players would have been less.

adeltaY

Reaction score
sdog1981":27bje9es said:
You got to check out Bill Simmons levels of losing he wrote about 15 years ago. It is not just a loss it depends on what kind of loss.

Same can be said for winning. My friends that are Giants fans don’t talk glowingly about the 2011 season because the team was 9-7 and just gutted out a playoff run. From August to January they were frustrated with the team. They do fondly remember 2007 for busting the 16-0 pats and the older ones remember the team going 14-2 and winning the Owl in 1990. Just like 2013. It was awesome because all year and all offseason the NFL world was talking about the young and tough Seahawks and they backed it up with a 13-3 season followed by a dominate Super Bowl win.

The type of win matters and the type of loss matters. Honestly with how SB 49 ended I would have rather the team have lost the NFC Title game to Green Bay, I have a feeling the resentment by the players would have been less.

I still think there would have been resentment. Probably more towards Wilson because he threw four picks. The defense had some epic stands at the goal line to keep that game close.

OP
OP
H

Hawker8989

Reaction score
adeltaY":2404ax15 said:
sdog1981":2404ax15 said:

I still think there would have been resentment. Probably more towards Wilson because he threw four picks. The defense had some epic stands at the goal line to keep that game close.

True. But , I don't think the resentment would've been as bad. I think the SB window slammed shut as soon as Butler made the pick. The fact they are a Blair Walsh fg away from their only playoff win in three seasons being against an historically inept franchise proves as much. I think it would've been easier to recover had GB won. Just chalk it up to a bad day.

It's also frustrating that a crazy Kearse catch is nothing more than a footnote. Unfortunately, nobody will ever think about that catch because of what happened two plays later.

nrayorr

Reaction score
The loss of Super Bowl 49 still affects me to this day because of the way that it ended. A lot of people remind me of that when I am wearing my gear and it pains me to have to relive that moment when I stood in my living room completely paralyzed with my arms raised in the air and this look of disgust on my face. I stood there for at least 7-8 minutes in the same position I kid you not.

Super Bowl 48 will always be a great memory for me, but to be honest with you the thrill is going away. So, I would have to say that losing affects me more than winning in the long term that is.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Hawker8989":2k3ef384 said:
In otherwords, does the pain of how SB 49 ended eat at you more than the thrill of anihalating the Broncos for our first SB win?

Absolutely. It was such a gut wrenching loss that not only did it affect me, the team was affected too and never recovered. When people look back on Pete Carroll, they will remember 'The Play' more than the win against the Broncos. That's how bad it was. Can you imagine if we didn't win the Super Bowl the year before, how people would feel? Heck, i'm still bitter about 2005 to be honest.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Oh hell no...Having won the Super Bowl against the Bronco's (one of our old AFC rivals) in the dominating fashion that they did, defrays, and overrides ANY losses since.
Players that were a part of that 43 to 8 ass kicking, really have no reason to feel bummed, after all, they ALL got a SB Ring to see them through any losses.
Some of us fans get hung up on believing in the fallacy, that there's a huge disparity of talent from team to team in the NFL.
Some teams that were cellar dwellers five to ten years ago have stepped up their game, and teams that flourished back then have to periodically reload, and they have to work around the CAP...Teams in need, with a lot of cash to spend, are going to raid the better teams of a lot of their key players.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Having defeat snatched from the jaws of victory in 49 was numbing but didn't hurt much for the first couple years, because I thought the team would be able to continue to be a perennial threat for the next few years. However, since it became evident that the team is no longer necessarily a top SB contender and even missed the playoffs last season, for me, that has actually caused the loss of SB 49 to suddenly be more acute. And I'm sure it's different for different people, and I will always be extremely proud of making it to two consecutive SBs and being dominant in the SB 48 victory, but the realization that we did not do what was so within our grasp -- win two consecutive SBs -- does hurt more than how the SB 48 win felt good, seeing that there's a real possibility it could be a while before we advance that far in the playoffs again.

We absolutely should have won SB 49.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Hawker8989":86t2bczc said:
adeltaY":86t2bczc said:
sdog1981":86t2bczc said:

True. But , I don't think the resentment would've been as bad. I think the SB window slammed shut as soon as Butler made the pick. The fact they are a Blair Walsh fg away from their only playoff win in three seasons being against an historically inept franchise proves as much. I think it would've been easier to recover had GB won. Just chalk it up to a bad day.

It's also frustrating that a crazy Kearse catch is nothing more than a footnote. Unfortunately, nobody will ever think about that catch because of what happened two plays later.

We did whoop detroit at home in the playoffs after the Walsh game. Get your point though, making it right up to the end and losing was horrific.

Honestly, if Kearse could have caught a 3rd and 10 pass that hit him in the hands, he may not have needed to make that catch during a frantic comeback attempt. Game of inches and possibilities...

NJlargent

Reaction score
I feel the same way the good players on that team feel, I am
more pissed about 49

getnasty

Reaction score
Losing hurts way more then winninging excites for me.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Nothing will ever change SB48 for me.
It was literally what I waited my whole life for and was
in The Meadowlands that day. Never thought I'd ever go to a Super Bowl either.
It was my sports BC - AD moment.

49? I don't blame the same person most do.
We got what we wanted on that play and had every advantage in the world. Didn't execute.

Winning is awesome
Losing sucks
Nothing is better than a team that is riding the wave towards the top.

chris98251

Reaction score
Losing 49 did not hurt as much as the loss to the Steelers and watching inept Umpiring hand them the trophy with Phantom and no calls.

We had control of 49 and we have a culprit to blame, ourselves or Bevell. We were playing against a stacked deck against the Steelers.

djb28

Reaction score
I let it go a day or two after. I let a lot of things go pretty quick after surviving a heart attack 10 years ago. I remember watching that play, My jaw dropped at the formation and stayed there for 2 minutes after the play. I swore a few choice words, turned off the TV and took a shower to get the dirty off me. But that Steeler game, I carried that anger for a long time. I do not like that team to begin with.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
chris98251":18cugzoq said:
Losing 49 did not hurt as much as the loss to the Steelers and watching inept Umpiring hand them the trophy with Phantom and no calls.

We had control of 49 and we have a culprit to blame, ourselves or Bevell. We were playing against a stacked deck against the Steelers.

Yup. I think joy has one part and only stays high for a little while maybe at the same level as a devastating loss. Losing SB 40, for me, I went back and forth with so many emotions for a while. Anger, sadness, back to anger, more anger when the refs admitted they screwed up the game to somewhat indifferent with still some irritation. I still get infuriated when any Steeler fan, while they have no defense for the lousy game, they will just say,,,"get over it". I am over it but if that is said to me it reverts me right back to square one.

48 was a good pain killer though.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Bobblehead":27rgaxrj said:
Completely disagree. It is possible for the joy of winning to be reduced and even the pressure of a De La Salle-level streak or something make it feel like there's only something to lose, but to go as far as your statement is crazy to me. Your point pushes that there is no joy or purpose in life and no reason for anyone to care about surviving, let alone anything else.