Carroll is P'd Off

hawknation2018

Reaction score
http://www.seahawks.com/video/2018/03/2 ... -breakfast

In business, sports, and life, organizations tend to emulate the personality of their strongest leaders. Likewise, the Seahawks under Pete Carroll have been at their best when playing with a "chip on their shoulder," mortally determined to prove themselves by overcoming the odds and surmounting formidable obstacles. A lot of people attributed this attitude to the individual players on the Seahawks roster, like Richard Sherman, Doug Baldwin, etc. This is true. I also think the team's fighting spirit emanated from the personality of their head coach. Not only did he pursue players with something to prove, his personality brought out the fight in those players.

After being fired by the Patriots and replaced with Bill Belichick, Carroll hit the college football world like a meteorite. He dominated college recruiting, won consecutive national championships, set numerous records for consistent competitiveness, and led USC to seven-consecutive conference titles and Top 4 finishes in the AP Poll.

Carroll then escaped USC right before the the NCAA hit them with serious sanctions due to Reggie Bush and his parents' acceptance of impermissible benefits from wannabe agents in San Diego. Again, Carroll had something to prove. And he did, by dominating the NFL draft and leading the Seahawks to six years of playoff victories, an unprecedented five-straight years of leading the NFL in scoring defense, consecutive NFC titles, and the franchise's first-ever Super Bowl championship.

Now, after narrowly missing the playoffs and losing numerous team leaders, including Sherman, he stands today with something to prove in the face of doubts, numerous holes on the roster, and rising competition from within the division. If the malaise of success breeds complacency, then the pressure of an uphill battle excites the warrior to charge. Some are at their best when their back is against the wall. Carroll was arguably at his best when he was doubted and tested by the likes of Jim Harbaugh's Niners. He says he foresees coaching for at least five more years. I, for one, hope the enormity of the challenge has awoken the sleeping giant.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Everybody has a chip on their shoulder. Tired meme needs to die.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Smellyman":2h3d9lu8 said:

I hope not. Many, many players (and people for that matter) do not have that particular characteristic. Some derive success (or failure) from other psychological attributes, such as the fear of losing, which is what I think drives Bill Belichick and the Patriots organization.

As John Schneider reiterated the other day, what they look for in a player is "Smart, tough, reliable guys that love football and have a chip on their shoulder . . . . Just the way we started."

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Ok, can we mark this as a telling year. I am willing to go forward. What is a successful season? I say playing productive and good games. Going to the playoffs with at least 1 or 2 wins. If you are fine with that good for you.

There should be a serious plan for winning it all. The last 3 years were a "hey make the playoffs year maybe win a couple".

Not a fan of that. Seattle exceptionalism is not a bad word. Why does Green Bay, NE and Pitt get to rule the NFL?

Why cant we own this league? SF in the 80's and 90's was a surprise. We need to grab this. The FO needs to ball out and I hope PA is putting some serious pressure on this team and FO. Ingenuity is key!!!!

Smellyman

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1sl4yl3i said:
Smellyman":1sl4yl3i said:

I hope not. Many, many players (and people for that matter) do not have that particular characteristic. Some derive success (or failure) from other psychological attributes, such as the fear of losing, which is what I think drives Bill Belichick and the Patriots organization.

As John Schneider reiterated the other day, what they look for in a player is "Smart, tough, reliable guys that love football and have a chip on their shoulder . . . . Just the way we started."

Chips only go so far if at all, 1st round draft picks have chips on their shoulders now, coddled athletes their whole life all have chips on their shoulder. it's not he 'chip on the shoulder' that makes players good, it that they are good..

Although i am great in iT because nobody said I could get this far, he's not smart enough, but I showed them and I am great at IT, but the chip is still there. I prove myself every day!

Seymour

Reaction score
Smellyman":3tprhbmm said:

Agree. More dreamed up off season hype with zero substance at this point.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete is a very prideful guy, IMO sometimes too prideful. Which is why he took a year or two too long to deal with the malcontents, he thought he was good enough to fix the attitude issue after the SB loss...........and he wasn't.

So yes, I can see that this rebuild is very important for him to prove he can still motivate and mold another SB contender.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2f5cdmlh said:
Ok, can we mark this as a telling year. I am willing to go forward. What is a successful season? I say playing productive and good games. Going to the playoffs with at least 1 or 2 wins. If you are fine with that good for you.

There should be a serious plan for winning it all. The last 3 years were a "hey make the playoffs year maybe win a couple".

Not a fan of that. Seattle exceptionalism is not a bad word. Why does Green Bay, NE and Pitt get to rule the NFL?

Why cant we own this league? SF in the 80's and 90's was a surprise. We need to grab this. The FO needs to ball out and I hope PA is putting some serious pressure on this team and FO. Ingenuity is key!!!!
San Fran in the 80's & 90's?, When money is no OBSTACLE, it's a LOT easier to BUY a winning culture. ;)
Green Bay, Pitt aren't as dominant as the once were, thanks to the CAP.
The Pats with Brady and their COACHES on the other hand, have dominated their AFC rivals, and have been an exception to the rule, keep in mind though >... They are an East Coast team.
Players are drawn to teams that play with ATTITUDE.
Pete will find players that feel overlooked, or slighted, and have something to prove.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Outside of Bellicheck, he has the most security out of any head coach. We went 9-7 and the world has been falling apart around here. That record would be a great season for 75 percent of the league.

2_0_6

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":22xtd4ev said:
Outside of Bellicheck, he has the most security out of any head coach. We went 9-7 and the world has been falling apart around here. That record would be a great season for 75 percent of the league.

Even Gruden? Interesting.

SeaChat

Reaction score
A well thought out, and insightful look in to what makes Pete Carroll tick. I am fully onboard with your analysis. I think it is also a perfect depiction of the Seattle Seahawks as a microcosm, and why they are a perfect fit for each other, and why they have done so well together, and I might suggest, will continue to for so long as that fire burns in Petes soul, or that chip continues to ride on his shoulders.

John Schneider is cut from the same cloth as Pete, and the truth be told, so are most of the 12th men and women who are part and parcel, the heart and soul of this magnificent wonder, called the Seahawks. I know that I will get little to no support from many of my peers in this forum, for my thoughts on all of this, in fact I can already feel many of their fingertips mounting their keyboards, preparing to argue my take on all of that I have said today, and certainly the following, when I say that Pete and John know exactly what they are doing, and that the Seahawks will not only win their division and make into the playoffs in 2018, but that on my birthday next February I will be setting in seats at the Super Bowl, with my wife and 3 kids, that I worked my ass off all year to pay for, I might add, in order to watch my Hawks bring it all home again.

On that note, LOL, I am an insurance agent by trade, if your in the market, help a brother out, intent on getting himself and his merry band of Seahawk family members, get to the next Super Bowl appearance. I’m joking of course, lol I’ll draw up a cardboard sign, hang it around my neck by a string, and camp out at the enterance of the local grocery store, “help me get my family to the Super Bowl”!

Reality is I’m pretty damn good at what I do for a living, and have tremendous faith in myself. When there is a will, and there is, I always find a way. The Seahawks are a major piece and priority of my life. I’m already corralling one of the companies I represent into creating a challeng for me, that hooks me and my family up with season tickets and all post season game tickets, to include the Super Bowl, should I manage to meet their challenges. The best part of it is, they don’t know yet that I’ll succeed in earning it, no matter the terms they presents.

Yeah I'm a dreamer but I'm also a believer, and that, my fellow 12's are what championships are made of. Not a bunch of negative naysayers who refuse to dream or believe, in the coaches and players, and often times not even in themselves, and instead seem to almost thrive on living under clouds of gloom and doom.

Some seem to get even more negative when things are going our way, Or worst yet seem almost gleeful when things aren’t going well. I suppose because it doesn't validate them. Keep your chins up, even a stopped clock is right twice a day!

The human mind, heart and soul are incredible tools, that if applied collectively can accomplish amazing and what many believe are impossible things. Like the Seahawks winning the next Super Bowl for instance. I’m former Army, and my dad was Navy, but served as a corpsman with the Marines in combat throughout the majority of our involvement in North Korea when we were engaged in combat with them, and one of the sayings he brought home from that experience, and embedded in my character, was a simple understanding that “the improbable will only take a moment to accomplish, the impossible will take a few minutes longer”. Point being it’s only improbable or impossible if you believe it is, otherwise it will only take a few minutes longer to accomplish the impossible. I have to believe that Pete Carroll has a Marine or a Navy Corpsman somewhere in his upbringing too.

Go Seahawks!

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gbmzid6v said:
Pete is a very prideful guy, IMO sometimes too prideful. Which is why he took a year or two too long to deal with the malcontents, he thought he was good enough to fix the attitude issue after the SB loss...........and he wasn't.

So yes, I can see that this rebuild is very important for him to prove he can still motivate and mold another SB contender.

There is also a contradiction, at times, between being the "nice guy" and being the ultimate competitor. Carroll did everything he could to back and support the assistant coaches on his staff, up to and after the point of untenability. I hope he is p'd off enough now to assert as much control as possible over the direction of his team.

It's not just empty words. You can see the change in his demeanor, the fire is back in his eyes. The switch has been flipped from empathy to search and destroy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":kb70bfmh said:

Maybe.

Allen isn't a knee jerk type of owner that's going to fire Pete without this whole thing going completely off the rails.

But I could see a scenario where Pete and John break up after their contracts are up if this rebuild isn't going well in a couple years and they don't feel like committing for another 2-3 years, or longer.

So security with Allen? Yes. But self policed security if he feels things have gone stale with John here? No.

D

DomeHawk

Smellyman":8uuwgqnf said:

Here's another tired meme: "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right."

Cliches (and tired memes) all have one thing in common, there's a strong element of truth involved.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Although it's been well over 50 years since I played the game of football (slightly after the leather helmet days), the game has really changed a lot. In my day, ANY individual, even if the top star, would have been dismissed from the team for giving the finger to coaches or openly - on National TV yet, be shown pitching a fit against his coaches and/or teammates. Any disrespect of the coach or behavior that hurt the team would have been instantly addressed back then. Some coaches might give them one more chance - maybe-, but usually, back then they wouldn't be on the team anymore. Also, the Lynch type "I don't feel like playing today, after -kind of- practicing all week" attitude would also land players very firmly in the coaches dog house in those days. Maybe the recent house cleaning was aimed at those factions and that's why some players are now gone?
:smilingalien:

D

DomeHawk

CamanoIslandJQ":15ylf3a9 said:
Although it's been well over 50 years since I played the game of football (slightly after the leather helmet days), the game has really changed a lot. In my day, ANY individual, even if the top star, would have been dismissed from the team for giving the finger to coaches or openly - on National TV yet, be shown pitching a fit against his coaches and/or teammates. Any disrespect of the coach or behavior that hurt the team would have been instantly addressed back then. Some coaches might give them one more chance - maybe-, but usually, back then they wouldn't be on the team anymore. Also, the Lynch type "I don't feel like playing today, after -kind of- practicing all week" attitude would also land players very firmly in the coaches dog house in those days. Maybe the recent house cleaning was aimed at those factions and that's why some players are now gone?
:smilingalien:

Were you in the NFL?

Latest posts