Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Most important Seahawks’ draft?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Most important Seahawks’ draft?
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:57 am
  • The joke in the office Wednesday was that the annual consensus is that “this is the most important draft the Seahawks have had in years.” Perhaps it’s a sensational premise, but can you really argue against it this time around?

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... ny-errors/

Thoughts?
    Hawkfish
    NET Veteran

Re: Most important Seahawks’ draft?
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:04 am
  • Will certainly set the tone for the next stage of Pete's Seahawks. Bunch of players who would immediately help get the running game going again if JS can get some more picks.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:06 am
  • I don't put any stock in any one draft being more or less important than another.

There are definitely draft years that have better talent in certain positions each year, but you don't really get the talent from this year's draft at it's full potential for a few years, so each draft should give you some talent for a few years to come. That really makes the past few drafts more important to this upcoming season than this particular draft. If we get more than a couple players who get major playing time out of this draft, we either hit the jackpot or are failing miserably.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:41 am
  • 2017 was pretty important, too, if only because we pretty much know what we have with the others before it.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:42 am
  • Every year is the most important draft. Unfortunately we don't have many high picks.
    BullHawk33
    NET Starter

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:43 am
  • And it's still way too early to assume that the 2017 draft was horrible. Most of them were sitting behind pro bowl guys and were not gonna' get a shot. Shaq, Carson, Pocic and Naz all look like potentially real good picks. We won't know about the rest of them til they get their shot. Tyson, Thompson, Darboh and Hill still need the playing time to see how they look. And we likely will be finding out on a few of them in 2018. Shoot, if a team hits on 4 draft picks that contribute, that's not bad at all. Probably won't truly know til some time in 2019 if last year's draft was as bad as people think.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:02 pm
  • On initial assessments I’d say the 2017 class is by far the best since 2012 and it’s not even close.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:49 pm
  • So many people are down on their drafts, but 2017? Some good stuff came out of that one imo.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:07 pm
  • It's the most important draft since 2012. Like that year, the team was coming off a season in which they missed the playoffs, which is the only other time that has happened under Carroll.

The 2013 draft was a major low point (below average, league-wide, in an overall weak draft year). They have improved every year since that 2013 draft. Justin Britt and Paul Richardson in 2014. Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett in 2015. A lot of quantity in 2016 (Reed, Ifedi, Vannett, Prosise, Jefferson, even Collins had a breakout year with Baltimore). And 2017 had even more quantity (Griffin, Pocic, Jones, Darboh, Thompson, Hill, and maybe McDowell).

However, none of these drafts since 2012 have had great quantity & quality. Let's see if they can hit on more high-value players this year. We surely need it.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:17 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:So many people are down on their drafts, but 2017? Some good stuff came out of that one imo.

2017 was the best draft since 2012. I think there has been slight improvement every year from 2014 onward.

But there were also some ugly moments in that 2017 draft. They missed out on stud OT Ryan Ramczyk, who looks like a future All-Pro. Instead, they traded down a second time and took Malik McDowell, who had widely-reported maturity issues.

Ethan Pocic was a mixed bag. He had a worse rookie season than guys like Carpenter, Britt, or Ifedi. His most comfortable position, center, is already manned by Britt. He is a below average athlete and was too easily overpowered as a rookie. But he has gained a lot of weight this off-season and should look more comfortable in his second season as a guard.

Shaquill Griffin was their best pick since 2012, by far. He started and played well as a rookie cornerback, which is rare. But he also had his share of rookie moments. I'm not quite sure how high his ceiling will go.

Nazair Jones, Amara Darboh, and Tedric Thompson all look very promising. I'm not as excited about Delano Hill as others are. Overall, after one year, I think it was a solid 'B' or even 'B+' draft. There was a good amount of quantity and quality, with one glaring mishap. Expectations are high for year two.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:37 pm
  • Yeah, they do seem to do their best work AFTER the 1st round :lol:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:10 pm
  • original poster wrote:On initial assessments I’d say the 2017 class is by far the best since 2012 and it’s not even close.

Off the top of my head, I would have to agree.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:27 pm
  • 2017 was the most important draft in years, 2016 is not nearly as important

The jury is still out on 2017, but if it turns out good, it will mean the difference between rebuilding and reloading

they kind of blew it with McDowell... they couldn't have predicted the injury but he was widely thought to be a big risk. They could have grabbed someone like TJ Watt.

If Pocic either bulks up or moves to C he could be a decent pick.

But really the outcome of the 2017 draft hinges very heavily on two players:

Delano Hill and Tedric Thompson
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:33 pm
  • A-Dog wrote:But really the outcome of the 2017 draft hinges very heavily on two players:

Delano Hill and Tedric Thompson

I think Bradley McDougald and Earl Thomas will be the starting safeties, and Tedric Thompson and Mo Alexander will be the backups.

Thompson dominated on special teams last year. He reminds me of Tyrann Mathieu: instincts, field vision, and ball skills compensate for lack of speed.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:24 pm
  • I don't know if its the most important draft, but I know they cant afford to reach this season. 2017 had some good things come out of it, but I'm still upset with the amount of Olinemen they passed on. Pocic's play last season didn't help either.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:09 pm
  • Of course this year is the most important draft as all drafts prior have come and gone.
    rjas77
    NET Rookie

Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:08 am
  • Considering we haven't picked this high in what 5 years or more . They can't come out of this draft without a starter that makes a difference next year.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information