UPDATE: Sebastian Janikowski signed

chris98251

Reaction score
He's on the Eddie Lacy diet, there were better options, we have to see the asking price of course. He has a back issue last I heard, not a good thing for a guy that twists his body every kick.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I'd not be overly upset with a vet minimum deal, but I'm hoping they are just testing the waters and doing their due diligence. I really think we should be able to find a good young kicker during the off season. There's plenty of time to bring in as many as possible and sign a few to compete in the mini camps.

Chapow

Reaction score
He missed all of last season with a back issue and missed 6 FGs and a couple of extra points in 2016, the last time he played.

I don't think I'd hate it if we signed him, but I don't think I'd feel very good about it either. We'd probably be looking for a kicker again in the near future as well because he's 40 years old and now has a recent history of a back issue that kept him out an entire season.

Gotta be better options I would think.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Yeah, this is a waste of time. He's done. No harm in window shopping though I suppose.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
He had a great career, but he's done. Hopefully just a "kick the tires" visit like many of the other vets this offseason.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Even with a bad back, he's an upgrade over Walsh. Should they decide to sign him it would be a step in the right direction.

original poster

Reaction score
I'd be absolutely fine with him, a rookie and the other guy we've got in camp. Get some competition going at the position this summer.

As long as the guarantees are low, of course. Give him $200K guaranteed and it's a win/win for both sides.

Wish I was earning $200K this summer!

Has anyone seen the Twitter posts from the ex Washington kicker? He keeps posting videos of him kicking from 50 yards and tagging the Seahawks in them.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Chapow":1fletwcy said:
He missed all of last season with a back issue and missed 6 FGs and a couple of extra points in 2016, the last time he played.

I don't think I'd hate it if we signed him, but I don't think I'd feel very good about it either. We'd probably be looking for a kicker again in the near future as well because he's 40 years old and now has a recent history of a back issue that kept him out an entire season.

He missed six FGs in 2016 . . . but that was out of 35 attempts. Janikowski was 28/29 from inside of 50 yards. Five of his misses were from 50+ yards.

He is the consummate professional. The biggest question mark for him would be passing the physical.

NJHawk

Reaction score
Not good. Unfortunately we will probably need a kicker that can tackle.

original poster

Reaction score
RedAlice":3kfu9i9n said:
I like your new avi, OP.

If you're talking about me, thanks :2thumbs:

I thought I was being clever with my username but this is the first time It's backfired on me as I'm not 100% sure you were talking to me and not Blitzer88!

RedAlice

Reaction score
original poster":1z9syvma said:
RedAlice":1z9syvma said:
I like your new avi, OP.

I thought I was being clever with my username but this is the first time It's backfired on me as I'm not 100% sure you were talking to me and not Blitzer88!

Haha, oh right!! Yes, I meant you.

I also member when I asked which .net member you were with this name on a different team's board, cuz I thought you were just being funny with the name over there. :irishdrinkers:

original poster

Reaction score
RedAlice":ojsgz5mc said:
original poster":ojsgz5mc said:
RedAlice":ojsgz5mc said:
I like your new avi, OP.

Haha, oh right!! Yes, I meant you.

I also member when I asked which .net member you were with this name on a different team's board, cuz I thought you were just being funny with the name over there. :irishdrinkers:

Haha yeah I remember, nope I keep the same forum name on all the other teams boards :)

Chapow

Reaction score
hawknation2018":27keu41x said:
Chapow":27keu41x said:

He missed six FGs in 2016 . . . but that was out of 35 attempts. Janikowski was 28/29 from inside of 50 yards. Five of his misses were from 50+ yards.

He is the consummate professional. The biggest question mark for him would be passing the physical.

Seeing as how he's 40 years old and just missed an entire season with a back issue, that's a pretty big question mark IMO.

Sometimes you need your kicker to make a 53 yard FG. Most NFL kickers have at least a reasonable shot at hitting those. Sounds like Janikowski doesn't really anymore.

Like I said, gotta be better options. Especially if we don't want to be right back in this same position of needing to find a kicker next off season or the one after that.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Chapow":36i68vmd said:
hawknation2018":36i68vmd said:
Chapow":36i68vmd said:

Seeing as how he's 40 years old and just missed an entire season with a back issue, that's a pretty big question mark IMO.

Sometimes you need your kicker to make a 53 yard FG. Most NFL kickers have at least a reasonable shot at hitting those. Sounds like Janikowski doesn't really anymore.

Like I said, gotta be better options. Especially if we don't want to be right back in this same position of needing to find a kicker next off season or the one after that.

3/8 from 50+ yards is about average for an NFL kicker.

18 teams made three or fewer FGs of 50+ yards last season. 12 teams had two or fewer. Walsh was 0/1 from 50+ yards.

rjdriver

Reaction score
hawkfan68":19fmjin3 said:
Even with a bad back, he's an upgrade over Walsh. Should they decide to sign him it would be a step in the right direction.

Even with no back, he’s an upgrade over Walsh.

Decimation

Reaction score
I wish we just resigned Hauschka so we wouldn’t be in this position.

It could be a solid signing, bring him in and some competition and it could be a win/win.