CB Dontae Johnson signed

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]http://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/984113368029106176[/tweet]

So we've now picked up CB Dontae Johnson, DT Tom Johnson, and WR Marcus Johnson...

original poster

Reaction score
I honestly know nothing of him apart from he started all 16 games last season.

PFF Edge doesn’t favour him but I’ll take that with a pinch of salt.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well he should be familiar with the scheme at least, how he is used and what side will be interesting. The guy was a starter so he has talent how good is up for discussion, we have Cary Williams on one end and Coleman on the other for extremes, this will change the mock drafts with us taking a CB in the first round, it may also close the door on Maxwell.

He had 77 tackles, that's a lot for a CB, he must be good in run support which is what Sherman was also good at.

He is pretty fast his combine 40 4.41

kidhawk

Reaction score
As he took awhile to sign, my guess is he didn't find the money he was looking for and we likely signed him to a team friendly deal. If true, then I'm fine with waiting to see what he can do under Pete's tutelage before I make a judgement. Look at the difference Maxwell is between when he's here or elsewhere. If there's one thing I've learned to trust it's that Pete's ability to teach scheme to his corners is impeccable.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":kt61dvo0 said:
49er fans are laughing at us. Not good.

Its true. They think he's awful. Benched numerous times last season and he never turns his head around (ala Shead). Urgh. Looks like Pete has his work cut out for him with this one.

toffee

Reaction score
He could enjoy better stat under our system, if he and our safeties could develop some sort of chemistry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":9wub7efn said:
MontanaHawk05":9wub7efn said:
49er fans are laughing at us. Not good.

Its true. They think he's awful. Benched numerous times last season and he never turns his head around (ala Shead). Urgh. Looks like Pete has his work cut out for him with this one.
Ugh all we need is Shead 2.0.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He may be better safety candidate than a a CB at any rate, good size and good length worth a vet. min. level deal. Camp fodder at the least, while being a good athlete, with a great wingspan and long arms.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
So did we just sign the player that Sherman replaced on their roster?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
toffee":kr8lbb7x said:
He could enjoy better stat under our system, if he and our safeties could develop some sort of chemistry.

He played under the Seahawks' system for the 9ers last year (by way of Robert Saleh by way of Dan Quinn, but on the back end it's still the same system).

Here's the skinny on Johnson from a 9ers fan perspective:

For the first three years of his career he was that guy who exists on every team: He didn't get much run, but 9ers fans had somehow convinced themselves that he was a hidden gem who was just being held back for some unexplained reason, and as soon as he got his shot he'd prove to the world that we were right all along about how good he was.

Last year he got his shot, and we thought it was a perfect fit. He fit all the height/weight/speed requirements that made us think he would ball out in the Seahawks/Falcons/9ers Cover 3 scheme.

He was a total disaster though. He'd give up short passes and then give up deep passes, and then get DPI and holding calls before going back to giving up passes again.

The several time he got benched it was because offensive coordinators had basically abandoned their gameplans and figured out that if they just threw it to Johnson's man it was a clear walk down the field -- I can't remember the game but the final time he was benched (IIRC) the entire offensive series was five penalties and receptions against Johnson which totaled into 75 yards and touchdown.

By the end of the year he was behind guys on the depth chart who had been signed off the street in the same week.

I'd liken him to an inferior Cary Williams: he certainly looks the part, but beyond that is a total liability.

To be clear, I'd be very happy if he can turn his career around and be a useful piece, but having watched him all last year, that would ultimately surprise me.

original poster

Reaction score
I asked a 49er fan on Twitter -

[tweet]https://twitter.com/49ers_united/status/984122026196533248[/tweet]

iigakusei

Reaction score
Popeyejones":11ixc1kz said:
toffee":11ixc1kz said:

He played under the Seahawks' system for the 9ers last year (by way of Robert Saleh by way of Dan Quinn, but on the back end it's still the same system).

Here's the skinny on Johnson from a 9ers fan perspective:

For the first three years of his career he was that guy who exists on every team: He didn't get much run, but 9ers fans had somehow convinced themselves that he was a hidden gem who was just being held back for some unexplained reason, and as soon as he got his shot he'd prove to the world that we were right all along about how good he was.

Last year he got his shot, and we thought it was a perfect fit. He fit all the height/weight/speed requirements that made us think he would ball out in the Seahawks/Falcons/9ers Cover 3 scheme.

He was a total disaster though. He'd give up short passes and then give up deep passes, and then get DPI and holding calls before going back to giving up passes again.

The several time he got benched it was because offensive coordinators had basically abandoned their gameplans and figured out that if they just threw it to Johnson's man it was a clear walk down the field -- I can't remember the game but the final time he was benched (IIRC) the entire offensive series was five penalties and receptions against Johnson which totaled into 75 yards and touchdown.

By the end of the year he was behind guys on the depth chart who had been signed off the street in the same week.

I'd liken him to an inferior Cary Williams: he certainly looks the part, but beyond that is a total liability.

To be clear, I'd be very happy if he can turn his career around and be a useful piece, but having watched him all last year, that would ultimately surprise me.
Sounds like when we had Tharold Simon and everyone was expecting him to be the next great thing, mostly on his measurables (and Richard Sherman saying he could become better than him one day). Ultimately he sucked. I think it was Arizona who signed him and he still sucked. Everyone loves the backup goalie, until they become the starter.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
I wouldn’t wish Johnson on my worst enemy as a starter. Not even Seattle. If he wins the starting job your secondary is in deep trouble. The 49ers had solid to really good players at one cb spot, both safety spots, and slot corner, yet finished 22nd in pass defense. The primary reason was opposing offenses abused Johnson, or the defense had to protect him leaving holes elsewhere.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Johnson may in fact be terrible in our scheme and time alone will tell. He certainly appears to have the size length and speed needed to play in our scheme and undoubtedly will be cheap. I can't see he's a bad player to at least have a hard look at in camp to see if he can be taught to be better in coverage or trained up to play a different position. He's simply depth which may be depth with a higher potential upside than most late picks if his athletic ability can be realized on the field.

here's a post combine profile:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ ... id=2543739

AgentDib

Reaction score
Until you folks see the $ involved there's no reason to assume that this changes a single thing. We're bringing people in to compete at an area of need. That's all.

We will probably still draft CB at some point and may still bring back Maxwell or Shead depending on how the draft goes. We'll have 12 CBs in camp competing for 6 spots and we'll roll with whomever wins the competition.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Hawks only liked him because of his size I guess. 6' 2" 200lbs, 31.5" arms.

original poster

Reaction score
I bet it's a 0 or very close to 0 guaranteed contract, doubt he makes it out of camp.

When you consider the below, it's nothing more than an extra body for the summer to compete.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Hawk_Talk_/status/983675201174036481[/tweet]