Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

CB Dontae Johnson signed

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
CB Dontae Johnson signed
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:08 am

• So we've now picked up CB Dontae Johnson, DT Tom Johnson, and WR Marcus Johnson...
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Re: CB Dontae Johnson signed
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:13 am
  • I honestly know nothing of him apart from he started all 16 games last season.

PFF Edge doesn’t favour him but I’ll take that with a pinch of salt.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:15 am

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:17 am
  • Well he should be familiar with the scheme at least, how he is used and what side will be interesting. The guy was a starter so he has talent how good is up for discussion, we have Cary Williams on one end and Coleman on the other for extremes, this will change the mock drafts with us taking a CB in the first round, it may also close the door on Maxwell.

He had 77 tackles, that's a lot for a CB, he must be good in run support which is what Sherman was also good at.

He is pretty fast his combine 40 4.41
    Last edited by chris98251 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:19 am
  • As he took awhile to sign, my guess is he didn't find the money he was looking for and we likely signed him to a team friendly deal. If true, then I'm fine with waiting to see what he can do under Pete's tutelage before I make a judgement. Look at the difference Maxwell is between when he's here or elsewhere. If there's one thing I've learned to trust it's that Pete's ability to teach scheme to his corners is impeccable.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:20 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:49er fans are laughing at us. Not good.

Its true. They think he's awful. Benched numerous times last season and he never turns his head around (ala Shead). Urgh. Looks like Pete has his work cut out for him with this one.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:20 am
  • He could enjoy better stat under our system, if he and our safeties could develop some sort of chemistry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:27 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:49er fans are laughing at us. Not good.

Its true. They think he's awful. Benched numerous times last season and he never turns his head around (ala Shead). Urgh. Looks like Pete has his work cut out for him with this one.

Ugh all we need is Shead 2.0.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:28 am
  • He may be better safety candidate than a a CB at any rate, good size and good length worth a vet. min. level deal. Camp fodder at the least, while being a good athlete, with a great wingspan and long arms.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:31 am
  • So did we just sign the player that Sherman replaced on their roster?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:31 am
  • toffee wrote:He could enjoy better stat under our system, if he and our safeties could develop some sort of chemistry.

He played under the Seahawks' system for the 9ers last year (by way of Robert Saleh by way of Dan Quinn, but on the back end it's still the same system).

Here's the skinny on Johnson from a 9ers fan perspective:

For the first three years of his career he was that guy who exists on every team: He didn't get much run, but 9ers fans had somehow convinced themselves that he was a hidden gem who was just being held back for some unexplained reason, and as soon as he got his shot he'd prove to the world that we were right all along about how good he was.

Last year he got his shot, and we thought it was a perfect fit. He fit all the height/weight/speed requirements that made us think he would ball out in the Seahawks/Falcons/9ers Cover 3 scheme.

He was a total disaster though. He'd give up short passes and then give up deep passes, and then get DPI and holding calls before going back to giving up passes again.

The several time he got benched it was because offensive coordinators had basically abandoned their gameplans and figured out that if they just threw it to Johnson's man it was a clear walk down the field -- I can't remember the game but the final time he was benched (IIRC) the entire offensive series was five penalties and receptions against Johnson which totaled into 75 yards and touchdown.

By the end of the year he was behind guys on the depth chart who had been signed off the street in the same week.

I'd liken him to an inferior Cary Williams: he certainly looks the part, but beyond that is a total liability.

To be clear, I'd be very happy if he can turn his career around and be a useful piece, but having watched him all last year, that would ultimately surprise me.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:35 am
  • I asked a 49er fan on Twitter -

www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:36 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    toffee wrote:He could enjoy better stat under our system, if he and our safeties could develop some sort of chemistry.

He played under the Seahawks' system for the 9ers last year (by way of Robert Saleh by way of Dan Quinn, but on the back end it's still the same system).

For the first three years of his career he was that guy who exists on every team: He didn't get much run, but 9ers fans had somehow convinced themselves that he was a hidden gem who was just being held back for some unexplained reason, and as soon as he got his shot he'd prove to the world that we were right all along about how good he was.

Last year he got his shot, and we thought it was a perfect fit. He fit all the height/weight/speed requirements that made us think he would ball out in the Seahawks/Falcons/9ers Cover 3 scheme.

He was a total disaster though. He'd give up short passes and then give up deep passes, and then get DPI and holding calls before going back to giving up passes again.

The several time he got benched it was because offensive coordinators had basically abandoned their gameplans and figured out that if they just threw it to Johnson's man it was a clear walk down the field -- I can't remember the game but the final time he was benched (IIRC) the entire offensive series was five penalties and receptions against Johnson which totaled into 75 yards and touchdown.

By the end of the year he was behind guys on the depth chart who had been signed off the street in the same week.

I'd liken him to an inferior Cary Williams: he certainly looks the part, but beyond that is a total liability.

To be clear, I'd be very happy if he can turn his career around and be a useful piece, but having watched him all last year, that would ultimately surprise me.

Sounds like when we had Tharold Simon and everyone was expecting him to be the next great thing, mostly on his measurables (and Richard Sherman saying he could become better than him one day). Ultimately he sucked. I think it was Arizona who signed him and he still sucked. Everyone loves the backup goalie, until they become the starter.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:40 am
  • I wouldn’t wish Johnson on my worst enemy as a starter. Not even Seattle. If he wins the starting job your secondary is in deep trouble. The 49ers had solid to really good players at one cb spot, both safety spots, and slot corner, yet finished 22nd in pass defense. The primary reason was opposing offenses abused Johnson, or the defense had to protect him leaving holes elsewhere.
    Last edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:41 am
  • original poster wrote:I asked a 49er fan on Twitter -

69 tackles in one game is pretty impressive!!
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:45 am
  • Johnson may in fact be terrible in our scheme and time alone will tell. He certainly appears to have the size length and speed needed to play in our scheme and undoubtedly will be cheap. I can't see he's a bad player to at least have a hard look at in camp to see if he can be taught to be better in coverage or trained up to play a different position. He's simply depth which may be depth with a higher potential upside than most late picks if his athletic ability can be realized on the field.

here's a post combine profile:
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ ... id=2543739
    Last edited by jammerhawk on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:46 am
  • Appreciate the info Popeye.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Until you folks see the $ involved there's no reason to assume that this changes a single thing. We're bringing people in to compete at an area of need. That's all.

We will probably still draft CB at some point and may still bring back Maxwell or Shead depending on how the draft goes. We'll have 12 CBs in camp competing for 6 spots and we'll roll with whomever wins the competition.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Hawks only liked him because of his size I guess. 6' 2" 200lbs, 31.5" arms.
    L.O.B.
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:52 am
  • I bet it's a 0 or very close to 0 guaranteed contract, doubt he makes it out of camp.

When you consider the below, it's nothing more than an extra body for the summer to compete.

www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:57 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    toffee wrote:He could enjoy better stat under our system, if he and our safeties could develop some sort of chemistry.

Got to say that Johnson sounded really bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Camp body
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• I have a sense of complete rudderlessness with the HMS Seahawk.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:01 am
  • Unless we sign Maxwell, I'm still thinking that it's Thorpe who ends up starting at RCB.
    --Poster of the Month - April 2018--
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:08 am
  • vin.couve12 wrote:Unless we sign Maxwell, I'm still thinking that it's Thorpe who ends up starting at RCB.

Or DeAndre Elliott :irishdrinkers:
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:14 am
  • So we won't sign Maxwell who has proven he can play for us in our system and instead sign another garbage player? At some point if all you sign is garbage depth your going to be left with a starting line up of garbage depth.
    edogg23
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:15 am
  • edogg23 wrote:So we won't sign Maxwell who has proven he can play for us in our system and instead sign another garbage player? At some point if all you sign is garbage depth your going to be left with a starting line up of garbage depth.

But hey, they're young, cheap, and hungry. :roll:
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:26 am
  • edogg23 wrote:So we won't sign Maxwell who has proven he can play for us in our system and instead sign another garbage player? At some point if all you sign is garbage depth your going to be left with a starting line up of garbage depth.

Are you concerned we aren't going to spend all of our money and instead use it fill swimming pools like Scrooge McDuck?
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:31 am

Should have signed Watkins for $17M per.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:39 am
  • :sarcasm_on: Yeah for sure, because we aren't signing every top FA and trying to find salvageable players from the scrap pile and signing them cheap for short term deals, replacing an incompetent OLine coach and dubiously incompetent OC and rplacing the DC and DLine coaches with more scheme true coaches, the team is rudderless. Sure thing. Fire Schneider, fire Pete. :sarcasm_off:

It's early and acquiring players seems to me to be a sensible thing considering the team needs 90 or possibly 92 and now have only 61. Acquiring a player with potential and exceptional measureables to have a look at in camp sems to be a smart move regardless of his past playing history. Let's not forget the team doesn't have a lot of draft capital this draft or a lot of available cap to spend and needs to acquire potential talent whereever it can found cheap.

Believe what you want but real football doesn't start until September we'll see how the team is then, several here may be surprised how good the final product turns out to be.

jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:59 am
  • original poster wrote:
    edogg23 wrote:So we won't sign Maxwell who has proven he can play for us in our system and instead sign another garbage player? At some point if all you sign is garbage depth your going to be left with a starting line up of garbage depth.

If you are talking about Sammy Watkins, then I can't tell if serious. Hope not.
    Love, Peace & Elbow Grease. Let's ROLL, Hawks!
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:19 pm
  • hgwellz12 wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    edogg23 wrote:So we won't sign Maxwell who has proven he can play for us in our system and instead sign another garbage player? At some point if all you sign is garbage depth your going to be left with a starting line up of garbage depth.

If you are talking about Sammy Watkins, then I can't tell if serious. Hope not.

Of course I'm not :lol:
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:28 pm

Says who on re-signing Maxwell? To me it looks like a standoff over the $ wanted and to $ offered. Signing more depth puts greater pressure on Maxie if he wants to stay.

jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:28 pm
  • Could be a slot depth guy, with his size to help cover TE's, played Safety as well, reading up on him he seems to be a liability on the edge and with his vertical should have decent burst.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:44 pm
  • Honestly, I know some Niner fans may be laughing at the signing, but I don't think the Seahawks signed him thinking he was a great replacement for Sherman. Not every guy signed is expected to be a pro bowler.

He's been a Niner for awhile, tall and rangy. Good speed. Probably fringe roster player for you guys.

Fits mold in terms of size and has scheme familiarity. Not a terrible signing.
    Last edited by Marvin49 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:48 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:

I'd only argue that people thought he was gonna be something because I never thought that.

He has the measurables which were what got him drafted to begin with, but I never thought he was about to set the world on fire. I remember on draft day there was a lot of talk about whether he was a CB or a safety...but ultimately he's neither. At least not a good one.

That doesn't mean its a bad signing. Maybe a second year in that system would do him good. Was never a problem child or anything of the sort...just kinda a fringe player who was hangin' around and finally got a shot to start.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:05 pm
  • It’ll take a year to teach him out of the bad habits the 49ers instilled in him [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    AKNFidel
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:23 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:

So we've now picked up CB Dontae Johnson, DT Tom Johnson, and WR Marcus Johnson...

So you're saying the Seahawks are replacing Dicks (Richard Sherman, Kris Richard, Sheldon Richardson, Paul Richardson) with Johnsons.

:D
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:31 pm
  • Popeyejones wrote:

Johnson may have had something approaching "the system," but he didn't have Pete Carroll.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:31 pm
  • LOL
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:36 pm
  • At first blush, this appears to be a very low-risk leverage move to encourage Maxwell to sign on the dotted line.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:38 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:Honestly, I know some Niner fans may be laughing at the signing, but I don't think the Seahawks signed him thinking he was a great replacement for Sherman. Not every guy signed is expected to be a pro bowler.

He's been a Niner for awhile, tall and rangy. Good speed. Probably fringe roster player for you guys.

Fits mold in terms of size and has scheme familiarity. Not a terrible signing.

Definitely agreed with this.

I think it’s kinda funny that the Hawks are taking a swing on Johnson, but I doubt it will ever really matter, and am laughing about rather than laughing at them.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:42 pm
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

So we've now picked up CB Dontae Johnson, DT Tom Johnson, and WR Marcus Johnson...

So you're saying the Seahawks are replacing Dicks (Richard Sherman, Kris Richard, Sheldon Richardson, Paul Richardson) with Johnsons.

OK that is some funny dung! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    HawkerD
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:50 pm
  • HawkerD wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

Not all that original tho...

GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:18 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    HawkerD wrote:
    hawknation2018 wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

Not all that original tho...

Don't know who Chris Williams is . . . but great minds think alike, I guess.

Now we know the Seahawks' new strategy.

:P
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:44 pm
  • Eh, camp body. Not every signing will be or needs to be an impact player.
    ducks41468
    NET Rookie

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:01 pm
  • So we've now picked up CB Dontae Johnson, DT Tom Johnson, and WR Marcus Johnson...[/quote]

:D[/quote]

This offseason we are eating a bowl of dicks.....
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:15 pm
  • As long as our Dicks aren't getting replaced by pussies I think I'll reserve my opinion till the season comes.
    The Breh
    NET Rookie

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:06 pm
  • Just because Sherman left, it doesn't mean that any CB we sign is "replacing" him. :34853_doh:

Pete and John are doing what they always do when a specific position group needs a bit of a rebuild. They pile on a bunch of players and see who survives training camp and pre-season.

:229031_shrug:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:07 pm
  • Well if you ever needed a sign that we cannot bank on our talent eval, as good as our supposed DB drafting and scouting supposedly is - our FO does not think it can fill enough holes.

We will see how the season plays out, but we are going to look decidedly average with these new additions getting any playing time.

Pretty unimpressive.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:22 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information