Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

DT Malik McDowell expected to be released

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• Frustrating.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Yuck. What a waste.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• The hope for who? That would suck if he got medically cleared after we released him.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

• Doesn’t make any sense to me.

The team will be charged around $2,000.000 for cutting him, so the cap will go down.

Even if they cut him post June 1st, the charge is still around $500K.

There must be more to this.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• original poster wrote:Doesn’t make any sense to me.

The team will be charged around $2,000.000 for cutting him, so the cap will go down.

If they cut him due to his medical non-football issue, can't they get some of that back? Not saying they necessarily would go after the money, but couldn't they do so if they desired?

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Wow. Really screwed the pooch on this one.
    Hendo66
    NET Veteran

• That is some weird thinking there........If he can be cleared why not see what he's got?
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Yet another wasted draft pick.
    BC-Hawk
    NET Starter

• Hendo66 wrote:Wow. Really screwed the pooch on this one.

How did the team screw the pooch?

He was involved in an unfortunate accident that the team didn't have any control over.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• The way the tweet is written, makes it sound like Malik wants to be released? Seahawks will not clear him, hoping another team will?

I don’t really see the point of giving up his rights.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• kidhawk wrote:
    original poster wrote:Doesn’t make any sense to me.

If they cut him due to his medical non-football issue, can't they get some of that back? Not saying they necessarily would go after the money, but couldn't they do so if they desired?

They can push to get his signing bonus back, which would then be added as a credit to the cap although I suspect they won’t.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• This is hard to fathom if true. And the Seahawks should go after every penny of the signing bonus they gave him if they release him, considering he got injured from reckless behavior and never stepped on the football field for them.
    CalgaryHawk
    NET Starter

• This is what happens when you rePETEdly ignore red flags!

Good riddance to another loser IMO.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

• In John Schneider we trust!
    BamKam
    NET Starter

• Seymour wrote:This is what happens when you rePETEdly ignore red flags!

Yes cause his red flags also consisted of his propensity to ride atv's without a helmet.............
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Yes it was unfortunate.
    Dude had big question marks and in my humble opinion they screwed around with trading back and drafting this guy.
    Hence screwing the pooch.
    Hendo66
    NET Veteran

• It's a tad early to be writing off the player based upon some unnamed source. If he's released it will be post June 1 release. on this one I'd not be surprised for the team to pursue the player for return of the pro rated portion of his SB.
    Last edited by jammerhawk on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Blitzer88 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:This is what happens when you rePETEdly ignore red flags!

Yes cause his red flags also consisted of his propensity to ride atv's without a helmet.............

Red flags were there on poor judgement, immaturity, and lack of commitment. One NFL exec. claimed "it was worst interview he's ever done". That is exactly what happened with him....but defend away.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• What a waste.
    GLio14
    NET Rookie

• Rumour is he is hanging with these guys.

Last edited by Chiekamon on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Chiekamon
    NET Bench Warmer

• There have been lots of players come to the league with character red flags, some revert to true form and some grow up. This player screwed himself up with a high risk activitythat went bad for him. Was the engaging in the activity b/c of his bad character or pure youthful exuberance and stupidity both could be argued? To me it's simply foisting your negative agenda upon the FO to say the team screwed up with this pick. Had he actually played last year he might have been just fine as the reports about him fromTC were quite positive. However, now he has a busted coconut and may never play again b/c of it.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Do we get some sort of compensation. Draft pick from the league?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:This is what happens when you rePETEdly ignore red flags!

Red flags were there on poor judgement, immaturity, and lack of commitment. One NFL exec. claimed "it was worst interview he's ever done". That is exactly what happened with him....but defend away.

The interview bashing didn't stop at one.
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/nfl-team-says-malik-mcdowells-interview-was-combines-worst/amp/

Don't forget about his arrest in Georgia. He was way out of line. He's a child. It stinks that this is what it might come down to, but I understand it. Personally, I thought he was a terrible pick. This team was fortunate to have gotten Naz Jones. He probably won't give you the pass rush that a 100% effort McDowell would, but he's a stud regardless. Heck, I'm not even sure if this team would ever see a 100% effort McDowell, even if he did play.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• jammerhawk wrote:There have been lots of players come to the league with character red flags, some revert to true form and some grow up. This player screwed himself up with a high risk activitythat went bad for him. Was the engaging in the activity b/c of his bad character or pure youthful exuberance and stupidity both could be argued? To me it's simply foisting your negative agenda upon the FO to say the team screwed up with this pick. Had he actually played last year he might have been just fine as the reports about him fromTC were quite positive. However, now he has a busted coconut and may never play again b/c of it.

Is "negative agenda toward the FO" to me? If so, show me this please. I mostly like Pete, but I will call out what I see wrong again and again when I see it.... with Pete or anyone making decisions I disagree with. My agenda is winning.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Yeah, the only front office that has taken a chance on a guy w/some possible flags :roll:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I will always the Malik McDowell fondly. His post draft interview was a highlight.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Told you he would never take a snap as a Seahawk. Brutal.
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• Daaaamn. That really sucks, what a waste of a pick. Could've had some solid players instead.... such is the draft I guess.

adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• Can we please put a "No ATVs" clause in our rookie contracts?

- Signed also SF Giants management
    red grenadine
    NET Starter

• This is total bullshit by all involved.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• At the risk of beating a dead horse:

2013 draft - no 1st round pick and no drafted players remain on team. Luke Wilson was ok as a sometimes starter.
    2014 draft - no 1st round pick, Justin Britt is only player remaining on this team. Richardson was good when healthy.
    2015 draft - no 1st round pick, and Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett are only drafted players left on team
    2016 draft - Ifedi and Reed have contributed. Odhiambo, Prosise, Jefferson, and Vannett have at least played
    2017 draft - no first round pick and no contribution from their 2nd round pick McDowell. Pocic, Griffin, Jones, and Carson all look decent so far though. TBD on Hill, Darboh, Thompson, Tyson, and Moore

In the last 5 drafts, the Seahawks have drafted no superstars, 3 above-average level starters (Clark, Reed, Griffin), 3 average-level starters (Britt, Lockett, and Richardson), three below-average level starters (Willson, Ifedi and Pocic), and several current backups with future starting potential (Jones, Carson, Prosise, Vannett, Hill, Darboh, Thompson, and maybe Odhiambo at guard).

This seems like a less than average return to me, with no superstars, and an average of about 2 starters per draft.
    CalgaryHawk
    NET Starter

• Fact remains that he was a huge red flag especially around maturity and love and interest for the game. Yet we drafted him but hey maybe we would have gotten Reuben Foster instead so from that perspective maybe his was a better PR situation....

Nobody on this forum knows if we can go after part of the signing bonus or not. Unless I am wrong in my belief that someone here read the contract. We simply don’t know what was / wasn’t excluded and none of the articles that I have read confirms either that this was an allowed / non allowed activity

Cap impact will be tied to that contract language

There is no way the NFL gives us a comp pick. We took a risk and they don’t want to reward drafting players with risks
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• The guy's an idiot. It's not even about the ATV incident, it's about the police incident. He had to have been told multiple times that he was on thin ice after the ATV incident and then he pulls the second stunt, which shows a complete disregard for the team. This sort of thing should have been filtered out during the interview process and he shouldn't have been drafted, but the FO has gotten arrogant.
    ducks41468
    NET Starter

• I know this sucks for us, but can you imagine being so talented and having so much potential but not having the emotional or mental IQ to capitalize?

This guy could have been Aaron Donald with the right make up and tutelage, love, and support. I think the Seahawks were hoping they would have a chance to help him in this regard.

Anyways, yeah sucks really bad.

Frank Clark was a similar risk, and why he dropped to the 2nd.. Risk/Reward..sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• He probably has an adviser that has taught him how to protect his money. In many states your house is totally protected from any kind of seizure.
    There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

- Darius Rucker
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• CalgaryHawk wrote:At the risk of beating a dead horse:

2013 draft - no 1st round pick and no drafted players remain on team. Luke Wilson was ok as a sometimes starter.
    2014 draft - no 1st round pick, Justin Britt is only player remaining on this team. Richardson was good when healthy.
    2015 draft - no 1st round pick, and Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett are only drafted players left on team
    2016 draft - Ifedi and Reed have contributed. Odhiambo, Prosise, Jefferson, and Vannett have at least played
    2017 draft - no first round pick and no contribution from their 2nd round pick McDowell. Pocic, Griffin, Jones, and Carson all look decent so far though. TBD on Hill, Darboh, Thompson, Tyson, and Moore

In the last 5 drafts, the Seahawks have drafted no superstars, 3 above-average level starters (Clark, Reed, Griffin), 3 average-level starters (Britt, Lockett, and Richardson), three below-average level starters (Willson, Ifedi and Pocic), and several current backups with future starting potential (Jones, Carson, Prosise, Vannett, Hill, Darboh, Thompson, and maybe Odhiambo at guard).

This seems like a less than average return to me, with no superstars, and an average of about 2 starters per draft.

Is this sarcasm?
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:
    Nobody on this forum knows if we can go after part of the signing bonus or not. Unless I am wrong in my belief that someone here read the contract. We simply don’t know what was / wasn’t excluded and none of the articles that I have read confirms either that this was an allowed / non allowed activity

Cap impact will be tied to that contract language

Although true that we don't know for sure what was in his contract, his injury was Not Football Related, so unless they had seriously poor contract writing, it's likely that they can get some of the cap room back. The issue though, is that we don't know if they will want to. This organization with this front office has been consistent about doing the players a solid on the way out the door, so even if they can (which is more than likely the case) they very well may not go after that Signing bonus. That type of good will goes a long ways in negotiations with other players you want to bring in.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• You can make all the excuses you want and spin until you vomit but if he exits the Hawks with out ever seeing so much as the practice field then trusting our second round pick on him was undoubtedly a mistake. No ands , but’s, or or’s either.
    Last edited by brimsalabim on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• Another terrible pick by this FO that will haunt this franchise for the next 10 years. Basically pissed away two second round picks. We could have had our future starting left tackle in last years draft. But no Pete and John think they're clever and always trade out. What a joke.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• Pete & John really hit the nail on the head for this Draft pick. :sarcasm_off:
    Make Seahawks Great Again.
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran

• What a joke
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• At least Aaron Curry played...worst draft bust in team history? Good riddance and best thing to do moving fwd. Stop drafting players with character issues.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• Don't let the "I'M IN" sign hit you on the way out
    Heyseed
    NET Veteran

• lukerguy wrote:I know this sucks for us, but can you imagine being so talented and having so much potential but not having the emotional or mental IQ to capitalize?

This guy could have been Aaron Donald with the right make up and tutelage, love, and support. I think the Seahawks were hoping they would have a chance to help him in this regard.

Anyways, yeah sucks really bad.

Frank Clark was a similar risk, and why he dropped to the 2nd.. Risk/Reward..sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

This is a sensible approach
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Bozworth and Curry thank you Malik.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• ducks41468 wrote:The guy's an idiot. It's not even about the ATV incident, it's about the police incident. He had to have been told multiple times that he was on thin ice after the ATV incident and then he pulls the second stunt, which shows a complete disregard for the team. This sort of thing should have been filtered out during the interview process and he shouldn't have been drafted, but the FO has gotten arrogant.

This I TOTALLY agree with. The ATV incident I can let go as he is a kid. The POPO incident...naw man. That dont cut it. I was young once. I dont ride with a helmet. I am an intelligent person that understands the risks with my life. I do it as I wish to as I have control. I know....blah blah blah.....you do what you want to with your life....I earned the right to do what I want to with mine.

But Ducks Gets it.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• He may be cleared for normal activities but our staff may have reservations or see possible indicators he could reinjure himself some way and not want that responsibility. The kid may want to play and want the money, the risk and bad publicity of him possibly laying on the field with a ambulance coming out may be not worth it, then you start the blame game of why was he even out there and point figures at the Medical staff, Pete, John and the ownership.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• RCATES wrote:Another terrible pick by this FO that will haunt this franchise for the next 10 years. Basically pissed away two second round picks. We could have had our future starting left tackle in last years draft. But no Pete and John think they're clever and always trade out. What a joke.

Because they were supposed to connect his "lack of motivation and bad interviews" red flags with not wearing his helmet during an ATV ride. :roll:

This is gonna be a long season.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• What could have been...
    ApnaHawk
    NET Rookie

• Accountability for players. None for FO.
    Compete all the time for players ... NONE for FO and coaching staff.

I want to be optimistic, but I just don't see how this team wins 8 games next season.
    CalgaryHawk wrote:At the risk of beating a dead horse:
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

Next

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:05 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information