Earl a no show.....

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Not surprised. It's just strength and conditioning, which he can do on his own.

Not an issue imo.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2bwny4mh said:
Question is if he has shown up the last 8 years. Ot whether it's required, which it isn't.

I believe he has been at all, or at least most of the OTA's. I think the only other time he's missed was when he was rehabbing.

This is not a big deal for me. Earl wants a big extension, we're not giving it to him. So of course he's not going to show up at a voluntary workout.

He's also a vet and doesn't need to be here, other than to show he's committed to the program moving forward.............which he is most definitely not without getting his extension.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":32pwbtma said:
vin.couve12":32pwbtma said:
Question is if he has shown up the last 8 years. Ot whether it's required, which it isn't.

I believe he has been at all, or at least most of the OTA's. I think the only other time he's missed was when he was rehabbing.

This is not a big deal for me. Earl wants a big extension, we're not giving it to him. So of course he's not going to show up at a voluntary workout.

He's also a vet and doesn't need to be here, other than to show he's committed to the program moving forward.............which he is most definitely not without getting his extension.

Pretty much all of this. He has said that he wants an extension. We aren't going to be able to work out one that works with both sides at this point in the off season as we need to see where we sit financially, so I would have been more surprised had he shown up to something like this.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
If he isn't traded by draft day, he should still be traded with a target of a 2019 1st plus whatever else you can get.

There are now only two options. Extend or trade and the latter is the only smart one.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":26369wic said:
If he isn't traded by draft day, he should still be traded with a target of a 2019 1st plus whatever else you can get.

There are now only two options. Extend or trade and the latter is the only smart one.

I think we know option #1 (extend) isn't happening, or else it would have already.

But IMO there are still two options;

1. Trade
2. Can't get a reasonable trade offer, he holds out..........which will lead to a franchise tag and we do this all over again next year.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":hvcgdqzb said:
vin.couve12":hvcgdqzb said:

I think we know option #1 (extend) isn't happening, or else it would have already.

1. Trade
2. Can't get a reasonable trade offer, he holds out..........which will lead to a franchise tag and we do this all over again next year.
Won't end well with #2. I've never been Earl's biggest fan, but he's not anyone's bootch. I know a lot of fans vicariously believe in that level of control, but he doesn't have to play. Furthermore, I don't know that you'd want him to under those circumstances.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I don't think Earl will be traded. To get value, Earl would have to agree to an extension with another team. That's probably not going to happen at this point.

Ditching voluntary workouts before the draft is the standard leverage play for the high-value veteran on the final year of a deal with no guaranteed money. He wants an extension with the Seahawks, and he should get one. If not, Kam demonstrated that missing games is a lose-lose proposition. Seahawks would retain the option to franchise Thomas next year if an extension is not in the offing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3cn459bt said:
Sgt. Largent":3cn459bt said:
vin.couve12":3cn459bt said:

1. Trade
Won't end well with #2. I've never been Earl's biggest fan, but he's not anyone's bootch. I know a lot of fans vicariously believe in that level of control, but he doesn't have to play. Furthermore, I don't know that you'd want him to under those circumstances.

But he does have to play, the Skins went what three years franchising Cousins?

I don't want it to get to that either, and I'm sure neither Earl or the Hawks FO does either. But make no mistake, he does have to play.............after week six of holding out each year.

My point is we're not going to trade Earl for a bad deal just to get rid of him. So scenario #2 is a VERY real scenario.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27v175m5 said:
vin.couve12":27v175m5 said:
Sgt. Largent":27v175m5 said:
vin.couve12":27v175m5 said:

1. Trade

But he does have to play, the Skins went what three years franchising Cousins?

I don't want it to get to that either, and I'm sure neither Earl or the Hawks FO does either. But make no mistake, he does have to play.............after week six of holding out each year.

My point is we're not going to trade Earl for a bad deal just to get rid of him. So scenario #2 is a VERY real scenario.
No...he doesn't have to play. Earl is capable of of throwing up a deuces and being out. Next year is next year and he doesn't have to do that either. And there are larger implications with other team members that are more important than just Earl. Also, you would never trade him just to get rid of him. A 1st and 3rd in 2019 is something a team might give up where they wouldn't in this draft.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1xvjn5wq said:
pmedic920":1xvjn5wq said:
For voluntary workouts.

I don’t think it’s an issue, do you?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -workouts/

That is not "an issue". But Earl saying he wont play under his current contract on national TV sure as hell is.

Why is that such a big deal this time? Our front office has said they only redo contracts when they are in their last year. They have followed that with all their stars that they have kept around. Earl is a smart guy. He knows if he doesn't get an extension that means he's on his way out next year, so why would he want to play into a year that wasn't guaranteed when he could (I'd say should) be extended. If not here, there are plenty of teams who would extend him.

Seymour

Reaction score
kidhawk":35w98438 said:
Seymour":35w98438 said:
pmedic920":35w98438 said:
For voluntary workouts.

That is not "an issue". But Earl saying he wont play under his current contract on national TV sure as hell is.

Why is that such a big deal this time? Our front office has said they only redo contracts when they are in their last year. They have followed that with all their stars that they have kept around. Earl is a smart guy. He knows if he doesn't get an extension that means he's on his way out next year, so why would he want to play into a year that wasn't guaranteed when he could (I'd say should) be extended. If not here, there are plenty of teams who would extend him.

I said it was an "issue". Obviously it is if they want him to finish this contract then see where he as at and decide.

As to these plenty of teams (keep in mind he wants top $$ at 30+), you may want to forward that list to JS as they seem to be having troubles getting any reasonable value for him right now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":zxkvkd3b said:
No...he doesn't have to play. Earl is capable of of throwing up a deuces and being out. Next year is next year and he doesn't have to do that either. And there are larger implications with other team members that are more important than just Earl. Also, you would never trade him just to get rid of him. A 1st and 3rd in 2019 is something a team might give up where they wouldn't in this draft.

You really think Earl would just retire, give up his 10.4M this year, and 8-10M of being franchised next year and/or the year after?

I'd give that a less than 1% chance of happening. He's too competitive, and too stubborn to just walk away from the game he loves and has said is his life. I know he's an emotional dude, but no way that would happen.

At worst he holds out and comes back to make sure 2018 counts, then asks again to be traded next year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2k4pfhsa said:
kidhawk":2k4pfhsa said:
Seymour":2k4pfhsa said:
pmedic920":2k4pfhsa said:
For voluntary workouts.

I said it was an "issue". Obviously it is if they want him to finish this contract then see where he as at and decide.

As to these plenty of teams (keep in mind he wants top $$ at 30+), you may want to forward that list to JS as they seem to be having troubles getting any reasonable value for him right now.

You say that they haven't had a reasonable offer, which assumes that you, Schneider and the other teams all agree on what is reasonable. The issue with trading Earl isn't that nobody wants him, it's that nobody wants him at our cost + his cost. If he hit free agency today, he'd have multiple high value offers out of the gate.

Earl Thomas is still a high value player he'll get his extension either here or elsewhere, of this I am certain. The biggest question right now is whether the Seahawks value him more than we are going to be offered. I'm thinking that the safe bet is that we extend him here before training camp begins. Only time will tell, but it likely won't tell the whole story.

Seymour

Reaction score
kidhawk":2z7vyy70 said:
Seymour":2z7vyy70 said:
kidhawk":2z7vyy70 said:
Seymour":2z7vyy70 said:

You say that they haven't had a reasonable offer, which assumes that you, Schneider and the other teams all agree on what is reasonable. The issue with trading Earl isn't that nobody wants him, it's that nobody wants him at our cost + his cost. If he hit free agency today, he'd have multiple high value offers out of the gate.

Earl Thomas is still a high value player he'll get his extension either here or elsewhere, of this I am certain. The biggest question right now is whether the Seahawks value him more than we are going to be offered. I'm thinking that the safe bet is that we extend him here before training camp begins. Only time will tell, but it likely won't tell the whole story.

I agree in general, but the only way any team "extends him" is this year and that comes at the additional cost of trade assets in picks or players without saying. "If he hits FA today", it would not be an extension. It would be a whole new contract, so that I consider an entirely different scenario myself.