Dave Krieg is best undrafted player in Seahawks history

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
“Krieg gets the nod here,” Henderson argues. “Undrafted out of the now-defunct Milton College in 1980, the man nicknamed Mudbone owns the franchise record for wins (70) and touchdown passes (195). Among Seahawks QBs with at least 15 starts, his 82.3 career rating for Seattle edges out Matt Hasselbeck for the second best behind Russell Wilson.”

After securing a spot on the roster as the third-string quarterback in 1980, Krieg slowly but surely worked his way up the depth chart until finally earning his opportunity in 1983. Midway through the ’83 campaign, Krieg came off the bench to replace quarterback Jim Zorn and helped guide the Seahawks to their first ever playoff appearance.

Behind the arm of Kreig, the Seahawks went on to win their first two playoff games in franchise history. With a blowout win over then-division rival Denver and upsetting Dan Marino’s Dolphins in Miami, Seattle made it to the AFC Championship before falling to the Los Angeles Raiders – who later became Super Bowl Champions.

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2018/ ... -per-espn/

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Seahawks have had a lot of good ones over the years. Mack Strong, Eugene Robinson, Doug Baldwin come to mind.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Yeah, Doug Baldwin says Hi. I feel Mudbone and Baldy are 1 and 1A and interchangeable in those 2 spots.

Jac

Reaction score
The NFL draft was 12 rounds back then...and he went on to play 19 seasons! When he was on, he was just deadly. His story is remarkable.

drrew

Reaction score
The Approximate Value number from ProFootballReference is far from perfect, but it has Dave Krieg as 93rd all time. That's pretty incredible.

Krieg was fantastic in '84. Dan Marino put up an otherworldly season that year, but other than Marino, you have to go all the way back to YA Tittle in 1963 to find a QB who had more touchdowns than the 35 Krieg had that season.

Jville

Reaction score
St7rjbfk1dqlibrhle8e

Available now for 2018 season >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/tickets/single-game-tickets/[/urltargetblank]

seabowl

Reaction score
Jac":34cdqapb said:
The NFL draft was 12 rounds back then...and he went on to play 19 seasons! When he was on, he was just deadly. His story is remarkable.

They should have won the bowl in 86.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Especially that time in KC with the time-expired pass to Paul Skansi... Oh wait. That was a miraculous victory against all odds on a night that Dave was sacked a record 8 times by the KC d-back who's name escapes me at the moment.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":46fltts0 said:
Especially that time in KC with the time-expired pass to Paul Skansi... Oh wait. That was a miraculous victory against all odds on a night that Dave was sacked a record 8 times by the KC d-back who's name escapes me at the moment.

Derrick Thomas who was LB. And he was sacked 7 times by Thomas. He escaped the 8th to throw the TD.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Dave Krieg is a cool dude. I worked with him as a retail employee he was nice to everyone and told stories and joked around with us. Count me as a lifetime Dave Krieg fan.

schkoot

Reaction score
Dave Krieg is still my all-time favorite Seahawk. I had the "Starting Line-up" toy and used an exacto knife to shave his strike beard off.