Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

GM power rankings: Howie Roseman, Kevin Colbert among best

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • I think they did a pretty good job on this one with John Schneider at #6

    RANK 6

    John Schneider, Seahawks


    The rebuilding job Schneider undertook with Pete Carroll at the start of this decade should be taught to aspiring executives. The combination of outstanding drafts, value risks like the Marshawn Lynch trade with Buffalo and the early extensions to keep the Seahawks' core together led to incredible success.

    Now Schneider has to do it again, with virtually no difference makers from the last five draft classes and spotty big swings at players like Sheldon Richardson, Jimmy Graham and Percy Harvin. If Carroll and Schneider are truly built for a college-style shelf life, as former "Legion of Boom" standard-bearer Richard Sherman surmised, Schneider desperately needs to find his next class of quality players.


    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... among-best
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18154
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • I really like Howey Roseman's approach too. The 2 things bolded below I think are some of the most important to consider. "It all starts in the trenches."

    "RANK 3

    Howie Roseman, Eagles


    There is no greater testament to a general manager's skill than winning a Super Bowl with a backup quarterback.

    Using a blend of new-school analytics and an old-fashioned obsession with line play, Roseman transformed the Eagles roster in just two years."
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18154
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • ivotuk wrote:I really like Howey Roseman's approach too. The 2 things bolded below I think are some of the most important to consider. "It all starts in the trenches."

    "RANK 3

    Howie Roseman, Eagles


    There is no greater testament to a general manager's skill than winning a Super Bowl with a backup quarterback.

    Using a blend of new-school analytics and an old-fashioned obsession with line play, Roseman transformed the Eagles roster in just two years."


    Howie did a great job building the both lines and Pederson was fantastic at gameplanning and playcalling. It's scary how much better that Eagles line was than ours. If JS can build us a top tier OL and get us a young, talented defense, I can see us contending again.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


  • adeltaY wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:I really like Howey Roseman's approach too. The 2 things bolded below I think are some of the most important to consider. "It all starts in the trenches."

    "RANK 3

    Howie Roseman, Eagles


    There is no greater testament to a general manager's skill than winning a Super Bowl with a backup quarterback.

    Using a blend of new-school analytics and an old-fashioned obsession with line play, Roseman transformed the Eagles roster in just two years."


    Howie did a great job building the both lines and Pederson was fantastic at gameplanning and playcalling. It's scary how much better that Eagles line was than ours. If JS can build us a top tier OL and get us a young, talented defense, I can see us contending again.


    So your saying if John and Pete can put Super Bowl talent on the roster we have a chance to win a Super bowl :)
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25896
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • ivotuk wrote:I really like Howey Roseman's approach too. The 2 things bolded below I think are some of the most important to consider. "It all starts in the trenches."

    "RANK 3

    Howie Roseman, Eagles


    There is no greater testament to a general manager's skill than winning a Super Bowl with a backup quarterback.

    Using a blend of new-school analytics and an old-fashioned obsession with line play, Roseman transformed the Eagles roster in just two years."
    Tinymac2
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 201
    Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:18 am


  • I honestly believe that our Offensive Line and Running Game will improve with TomB Cable gone.

    He was just too cute with the players. "They need to be versatile." How about teaching them to play their own position first?
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18154
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • chris98251 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:I really like Howey Roseman's approach too. The 2 things bolded below I think are some of the most important to consider. "It all starts in the trenches."

    "RANK 3

    Howie Roseman, Eagles


    There is no greater testament to a general manager's skill than winning a Super Bowl with a backup quarterback.

    Using a blend of new-school analytics and an old-fashioned obsession with line play, Roseman transformed the Eagles roster in just two years."


    Howie did a great job building the both lines and Pederson was fantastic at gameplanning and playcalling. It's scary how much better that Eagles line was than ours. If JS can build us a top tier OL and get us a young, talented defense, I can see us contending again.


    So your saying if John and Pete can put Super Bowl talent on the roster we have a chance to win a Super bowl :)


    Yeah, but it's not the same way as we won the first SB, which was having a historically great defense and a solid OL (great at run blocking, but crap at pass blocking) and cheap, young QB. Now, I'd rather we have a good to great defense (top 5-10 in a given season) and an elite OL.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


  • adeltaY wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:I really like Howey Roseman's approach too. The 2 things bolded below I think are some of the most important to consider. "It all starts in the trenches."

    "RANK 3

    Howie Roseman, Eagles


    There is no greater testament to a general manager's skill than winning a Super Bowl with a backup quarterback.

    Using a blend of new-school analytics and an old-fashioned obsession with line play, Roseman transformed the Eagles roster in just two years."


    Howie did a great job building the both lines and Pederson was fantastic at gameplanning and playcalling. It's scary how much better that Eagles line was than ours. If JS can build us a top tier OL and get us a young, talented defense, I can see us contending again.


    So your saying if John and Pete can put Super Bowl talent on the roster we have a chance to win a Super bowl :)


    Yeah, but it's not the same way as we won the first SB, which was having a historically great defense and a solid OL (great at run blocking, but crap at pass blocking) and cheap, young QB. Now, I'd rather we have a good to great defense (top 5-10 in a given season) and an elite OL.

    Of course with our crappy OL, crappy offensive coordinator, and gimped defense, we beat Philly last season, so there's that.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2217
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 3:22 pm
    Location: Auckland, New Zealand


  • KiwiHawk wrote:Of course with our crappy OL, crappy offensive coordinator, and gimped defense, we beat Philly last season, so there's that.


    Yeah, but that was one game. Even the Superbowl Seahawks had some bad losses sprinkled in (at home vs AZ when Palmer threw 4 INT, at STL when Austin Davis was their QB, etc.), I'm sure the Eagles can be forgiven for having one poor game.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


  • According to some on here, he should be at 32 :lol:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11230
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • When does the Armchair GM power ranking get released?
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5667
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm


  • Can't wait to see that one. I mean, John is clearly horrible and has never done anything right. :?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11230
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Can't wait to see that one. I mean, John is clearly horrible and has never done anything right. :?


    He's missed on every draft since SMcLaughing left us...

    ...trades out off strategic draft positions to pick up even lower-ranked players while passing over great players at positions of need.

    ...doesn't know how to make team-friendly deals.

    ...takes too many gambles on big-name free agents.

    ...makes player-friendly contracts and cannot manage the cap

    ...is thus overrated.

    I think the arguments go something like that... ammiright?

    :34853_doh:

    :177692:
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2012
    Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:25 am


  • Matter of opinion I guess.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11230
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • In JS I do not trust..
    I think #6 rating is way too generous..
    His trades suck and his cap management is not good.
    His drafts are not that good,we pass up great players for garbage for the most part.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4154
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


  • ivotuk wrote:I honestly believe that our Offensive Line and Running Game will improve with TomB Cable gone. He was just too cute with the players. "They need to be versatile." How about teaching them to play their own position first?


    LOL...Quote of the thread!
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 13108
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!




It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:10 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online