GM power rankings: Howie Roseman, Kevin Colbert among best

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think they did a pretty good job on this one with John Schneider at #6

RANK 6

John Schneider, Seahawks

The rebuilding job Schneider undertook with Pete Carroll at the start of this decade should be taught to aspiring executives. The combination of outstanding drafts, value risks like the Marshawn Lynch trade with Buffalo and the early extensions to keep the Seahawks' core together led to incredible success.

Now Schneider has to do it again, with virtually no difference makers from the last five draft classes and spotty big swings at players like Sheldon Richardson, Jimmy Graham and Percy Harvin. If Carroll and Schneider are truly built for a college-style shelf life, as former "Legion of Boom" standard-bearer Richard Sherman surmised, Schneider desperately needs to find his next class of quality players.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... among-best

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I really like Howey Roseman's approach too. The 2 things bolded below I think are some of the most important to consider. "It all starts in the trenches."

"RANK 3

Howie Roseman, Eagles

There is no greater testament to a general manager's skill than winning a Super Bowl with a backup quarterback.

Using a blend of new-school analytics and an old-fashioned obsession with line play, Roseman transformed the Eagles roster in just two years."

adeltaY

Reaction score
ivotuk":3al72331 said:
I really like Howey Roseman's approach too. The 2 things bolded below I think are some of the most important to consider. "It all starts in the trenches."

"RANK 3

Howie Roseman, Eagles

There is no greater testament to a general manager's skill than winning a Super Bowl with a backup quarterback.

Using a blend of new-school analytics and an old-fashioned obsession with line play, Roseman transformed the Eagles roster in just two years."

Howie did a great job building the both lines and Pederson was fantastic at gameplanning and playcalling. It's scary how much better that Eagles line was than ours. If JS can build us a top tier OL and get us a young, talented defense, I can see us contending again.

chris98251

Reaction score
adeltaY":3mqinky4 said:
ivotuk":3mqinky4 said:

"RANK 3

Howie Roseman, Eagles

Howie did a great job building the both lines and Pederson was fantastic at gameplanning and playcalling. It's scary how much better that Eagles line was than ours. If JS can build us a top tier OL and get us a young, talented defense, I can see us contending again.

So your saying if John and Pete can put Super Bowl talent on the roster we have a chance to win a Super bowl :)

Tinymac2

Reaction score
ivotuk":z3zjxjp9 said:

"RANK 3

Howie Roseman, Eagles

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I honestly believe that our Offensive Line and Running Game will improve with TomB Cable gone.

He was just too cute with the players. "They need to be versatile." How about teaching them to play their own position first?

adeltaY

Reaction score
chris98251":dku3nxxx said:
adeltaY":dku3nxxx said:
ivotuk":dku3nxxx said:

"RANK 3

Howie Roseman, Eagles

So your saying if John and Pete can put Super Bowl talent on the roster we have a chance to win a Super bowl :)

Yeah, but it's not the same way as we won the first SB, which was having a historically great defense and a solid OL (great at run blocking, but crap at pass blocking) and cheap, young QB. Now, I'd rather we have a good to great defense (top 5-10 in a given season) and an elite OL.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":c8ag5fry said:
chris98251":c8ag5fry said:
adeltaY":c8ag5fry said:
ivotuk":c8ag5fry said:

"RANK 3

Howie Roseman, Eagles

Yeah, but it's not the same way as we won the first SB, which was having a historically great defense and a solid OL (great at run blocking, but crap at pass blocking) and cheap, young QB. Now, I'd rather we have a good to great defense (top 5-10 in a given season) and an elite OL.
Of course with our crappy OL, crappy offensive coordinator, and gimped defense, we beat Philly last season, so there's that.

adeltaY

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2bbhnj6v said:
Of course with our crappy OL, crappy offensive coordinator, and gimped defense, we beat Philly last season, so there's that.

Yeah, but that was one game. Even the Superbowl Seahawks had some bad losses sprinkled in (at home vs AZ when Palmer threw 4 INT, at STL when Austin Davis was their QB, etc.), I'm sure the Eagles can be forgiven for having one poor game.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
When does the Armchair GM power ranking get released?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1yfdpjc7 said:
Can't wait to see that one. I mean, John is clearly horrible and has never done anything right. :?

He's missed on every draft since SMcLaughing left us...

...trades out off strategic draft positions to pick up even lower-ranked players while passing over great players at positions of need.

...doesn't know how to make team-friendly deals.

...takes too many gambles on big-name free agents.

...makes player-friendly contracts and cannot manage the cap

...is thus overrated.

I think the arguments go something like that... ammiright?

:34853_doh:

:177692:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
In JS I do not trust..
I think #6 rating is way too generous..
His trades suck and his cap management is not good.
His drafts are not that good,we pass up great players for garbage for the most part.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
ivotuk":2u32imh1 said:
I honestly believe that our Offensive Line and Running Game will improve with TomB Cable gone. He was just too cute with the players. "They need to be versatile." How about teaching them to play their own position first?

LOL...Quote of the thread!