QB2QB

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
These shows on ESPN are pretty good actually. Russell hosts the show. 30 minute segments where he gets to offer insight and drop some wisdom to some of the top draft prospects. Much of it we as diehards already have heard or know about Russell but he comes off as genuine as I have seen him in front of a TV camera.

There's an especially poignant scene where he is showing one of the draft prospects (sorry I forget which) "The Play" to talk about how to not only handle the accolades but the darkest moments of your career. You can truly get a sense of how much that play has affected him.

Worth the watch. Check your ESPN listings or On Demand, etc...

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I watched the J.T. Barrett episode. Love Russell, but I found it to be slightly boring.

It seems Russell is striving to be less technical than Gruden was, when the ability to discuss the nitty gritty could be his separator from the typical football reporter. I'm not sure I would have watched more than 5 minutes had I not been interested in one of the QBs.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I love watching RW play, but listening to him is as interesting as waiting for paint to dry.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The guy can't do anything right can he? :?
So sad that he's not as exciting as people want him to be. :roll:

lobohawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":21lfw9xt said:
I watched the J.T. Barrett episode. Love Russell, but I found it to be slightly boring.

It seems Russell is striving to be less technical than Gruden was, when the ability to discuss the nitty gritty could be his separator from the typical football reporter. I'm not sure I would have watched more than 5 minutes had I not been interested in one of the QBs.

The main difference is that Gruden is a bit of a showman and much of his show was about highlighting Gruden's moments than anything to do with football.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":25jz0kaa said:
The guy can't do anything right can he? :?
So sad that he's not as exciting as people want him to be. :roll:

But every 12 on the planet will sure as hell miss him when he's no longer our QB. Guaranteed.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson is almost as bland as Vanilla, doesn't mean it's not good but it's not a Banana split with the toppings. You hire Wilson you get a very business and non controversial product.

He is no Jim McMahon.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":29o8dhjh said:
The stuff people complain about when it comes to Russ. Next level funny.
With all due respect Aros,while I understand some of you love RW and I'm good with that
I'm not good with with every time someone isn't a RW fanboy you get an Anthony type who wants
to counter every post that doesn't fit their focal point of RW.We all have opinions that's all.
To be on topic of something I wasn't going to comment on..
I kind of liked the Gruden version because he is a coach,RW is not and the fact of the matter is
he could use some real coaching himself so I can't see myself watching this.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I said I love him as a player.

But he is as vanilla and cliched as a person can get. Not an earth shattering revelation.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Just for the record it doesn't offend me whatsoever if you call me a Russ "Fanboy". I have always been transparent in my admiration of Russ as a player and as a high character individual. Is he vanilla? Of course! Is he boring? Yep. But none of that has ever bothered me like it apparently bothers some. I will take a robotic, vanilla, boring, high character man who happens to be an assassin on the field ANY DAY over a highly-inflated blow hard that is more concerned over their stats and putting their wants and desires over their team.

I can list a TON of players that fall into the latter but I will be nice and just end with...

Go Hawks.

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":gt7eri85 said:
Just for the record it doesn't offend me whatsoever if you call me a Russ "Fanboy". I have always been transparent in my admiration of Russ as a player and as a high character individual. Is he vanilla? Of course! Is he boring? Yep. But none of that has ever bothered me like it apparently bothers some. I will take a robotic, vanilla, boring, high character man who happens to be an assassin on the field ANY DAY over a highly-inflated blow hard that is more concerned over their stats and putting their wants and desires over their team.

I can list a TON of players that fall into the latter but I will be nice and just end with...

Go Hawks.

Well you can throw Wayne Gretsky, Derek Jeter, as the same type of players as Wilson, worked for them as well. You wait for them on the field to show that they are on a different level, not hear them tell you they are.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Precisely.

In this day and age of social media it's all about how flashy, how sensational you can be (as a player/celebrity) to get clicks, followers, likes, etc. At great risk of sounding old(er), I long for the days of the Steve Largents of the world.

Incredible, generational talent with high character and humility to boot.

In such short supply these days.

HawkGA

Reaction score
How can there not be links to snippets of this posted here yet???

pmedic920

Reaction score
Aros":24c6uuo8 said:

Go Hawks.

Hey Todd, remember that time we both wanted to trade RW for Cam Newton?

NOT
:{)

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The Baker Mayfield episode was better. Russell described how he used to keep a list of people who doubted him on his wall, when he was in high school, with post-it notes of comments from people said things like "you will never play at Miami because they're too fast there," etc.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2chn0ypg said:
SoulfishHawk":2chn0ypg said:
The stuff people complain about when it comes to Russ. Next level funny.
With all due respect Aros,while I understand some of you love RW and I'm good with that
I'm not good with with every time someone isn't a RW fanboy you get an Anthony type who wants
to counter every post that doesn't fit their focal point of RW.We all have opinions that's all.
To be on topic of something I wasn't going to comment on..
I kind of liked the Gruden version because he is a coach,RW is not and the fact of the matter is
he could use some real coaching himself so I can't see myself watching this.
There use to be an old saying, told to me when I was a youngster..."If you don't have something nice to say, just don't say anything"....BUT, some folks are like a moth to a flame, and bust their asses to get their negatives be known.
Anthony was defensive of his opinion, and that was a fly in the Debbie Downers ointment.

Latest posts